What has been your most memorable experience on public transport?

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
My most memorable is when I was getting off a train and a guy came up and handed me £40 randomly.

Also seeing when I was kid seeing my mate trying to sneak on the bus and getting kicked off.

Aside from a Disney bus or two I've never taken public transportation. I don't live in an area where it's used.

My most memorable is when I was getting off a train and a guy came up and handed me £40 randomly.

Also seeing when I was kid seeing my mate trying to sneak on the bus and getting kicked off.

I used to take the bus to and from work a few years ago. There was a guy that tended it sit next to me in the mornings that had no sense of personal space. It was really uncomfortable but I was under the impression that it was because we had little to no space in general (silly me). I tried to sit next to other people because the guy creeped me out, but one day I got stuck with him and then he decided to lean over, rub his hand over my thigh and kiss my shoulder. He got a swift elbow to the gut and I called him a quite a few unfavorable names before moving up to the front. I was so upset that I almost forgot to report it to the driver.

I dunno what happened to him after that but I never saw him again. I really should have done more but I was too shocked and upset to think straight.

I have too many, but here’s a few: My friend and I were on the subway and my friend grabbed the pole before another woman could. The woman (mentally ill, I’m assuming) scratched my friend’s hand with her nails (causing actual cuts), and then sat down laughing. She then came back over to my friend and coughed in her face. It was terrifying. We got off at the next stop just to get away.

I was chased by a woman in Penn Station who was trying to get me to come to a meeting for her religion (one that’s been criticized for being cult-like). I had told her no and she wouldn’t stop following me until I dashed into a restaurant.

On a bus ride a man was loudly talking to the driver about a political candidate he supported for quite some time until a lady piped up that it was illegal to talk to the driver while in motion and nobody wanted to hear him anyway. The whole bus cheered.

Not really a moment, but my morning commute began with a bus ride early in the am- the other passengers must have been taking the same route for years because they seemed to all know each other and would grow concerned if someone didn’t show up. It was sweet and felt very small town-ish, but this was in Manhattan.

I miss NYC now :sad:

Well, not reeaally public transportation as such, but the best story has to be the drunk elderly lady on the airport authority parking-lot bus.

This was in the dead of winter, and so the bus driver took pity on the passengers and decided he would take us all right to our cars, rather than the lot's designated stops, so he started to drive up and down each row, and asked us all where we were parked. One of the passengers was a very prim-looking older lady who was traveling alone, except that she was accompanied by a pet cat in a carrier. When the driver asked where she was parked, she started wondering aloud where that might have been, and it rather quickly became apparent that not only did she have no idea where her car was, she was also very drunk. At first she was just kind of dithery, but then the situation descended into full farce when she decided that the cat probably knew where the car was, if only he would just TELL her, so we drove around the lot for 20 minutes while she interrogated the cat. "Kitty, where did I leave the car?" "Come on, it's cold outside; you have to tell me where it is." "Is it this row, Kitty?" She was still at it when DH & I got off at our car.

It happened over 20 years ago, but to this day I hope that the cat stayed mum, so that she stayed on the bus long enough to sober up before driving home.

On a Disney bus headed to then Downtown Disney, the lady across from me was breast-feeding and everything was showing. I get it, she was feeding her baby, but I felt super-awkward. My eyes wanted to go forward, but I didn't want her to think I was staring at her. That wouldn't feel appropriate. So I spent the whole trip with my head turned to the left, talking to my nephew, in a rather unnatural manner.

Oh! I have a WDW monorail story: a young guy was seated beside me; he was excitedly and incessantly telling whomever would listen that he’d flown down from the northeast and had just been hired at WDW. During the ride he managed to talk about costumed character roles (not his role, can’t remember how he got on the subject), and was talking loudly about the actor requirements (I think he said he wasn’t tall enough to be Goofy) in front of kids :sad2: He also was asking a family very specific, strange personal questions, like what kind of car they drove in to get to Disney- he asked so many questions the family was visibly uncomfortable. Whenever we would be stopping at a resort, he’d jump up and make a very loud, very unnecessary announcement as though he suddenly decided to become the official Disney transportation spokesman: “Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, please take small children by the hand...” etc. It was SO strange and cringeworthy. I don’t want to keyboard diagnose him, but he seemed to be on the spectrum as he just wasn’t picking up social cues at all.

Last edited:
Actually, I thought of something! This one time when I was on a bus in Times Square a guy dressed like a prince was on the roof of the bus and he put a sword right through the top of the bus! He was looking for someone named Giselle, with whom he wanted to share true love’s kiss……Oh, never mind.

Not really a moment, but my morning commute began with a bus ride early in the am- the other passengers must have been taking the same route for years because they seemed to all know each other and would grow concerned if someone didn’t show up. It was sweet and felt very small town-ish, but this was in Manhattan.

I miss NYC now :sad:

This. DH took the commuter rail into NYC for about six years. There were regulars who had been commuting together for 20+ years; their entire working careers really. He experienced the same thing with folks looking out for each other. And I believe there was a Friday commute home card game that had been going on between a foursome for over ten years on the train! There are so many heartwarming stories that I could share about NYC. So many people seem to think it is a terrible, cold, mean place. And at times it is. But I also witnessed silent acts of kindness between strangers that almost brought me to tears.

Last edited:
One time, on a public bus, I saw a woman take a pair of scissors out of her bad and cut a lock of hair off of the woman sitting in front of her.

The worst was seeing a guy reach over and pick his girlfriends (or wife, or sister, or stranger) nose. It was revolting and I wish I was making it up.

Experiencing the new Virgin trains. Got to sit in first class as it was £5 for an upgrade at the weekend. Lap of luxury, better than Premium Economy on any transatlantic flight. Free food, newspapers, champers, wonderful! Should have worn a suit!

On a Disney bus headed to then Downtown Disney, the lady across from me was breast-feeding and everything was showing. I get it, she was feeding her baby, but I felt super-awkward. My eyes wanted to go forward, but I didn't want her to think I was staring at her. That wouldn't feel appropriate. So I spent the whole trip with my head turned to the left, talking to my nephew, in a rather unnatural manner.

This happened to me at Disney as well. A woman was sitting across from me and she had a child who looked about 3 or 4. He started patting her breasts and pulling at her shirt and saying he was hungry. I thought the woman had snacks in her pockets or something. The next thing I knew, the child unbuttoned her shirt and started breast feeding. Like you, I get that breast feeding is natural and a wonderful thing to do, but I also felt really awkward since I was facing her.

Several occasions on trains where random men were, um, *adjusting* themselves for longer than necessary. The most memorable was when a conductor (country train) did his block, called the police, and the adjusting guy was thrown off at the next station.

Also on a country train, I was 3 months pregnant and traveling to work when I started bleeding, other passengers notified conductor who organised an ambulance and I was taken off at the next station. It was the start of an in and out relationship with hospitals. Kiddo is 15 now.

I’ve used public transportation in a lot of Caribbean countries. One time, I had to go from Kingston to Montego Bay, Jamaica. It was just a van, and it was a pretty social group of strangers, sharing food and jokes and listening to reggae. Somewhere along the way, we had a flat tire. The guy next to me started calling (obviously in a Jamaican accent), “Puncture driver! Puncture!” We pulled over on the outskirts of a small town in the hills, and there was a soccer game going on, with spectators and vendors, so we all just hung out and ate, and drank and cheered on the players. Eventually the driver got the tire changed and we got going again, but there certainly was no sense of urgency!

Good and bad.

Bad: I was sitting in the very back seat of the commuter bus, and a young couple boarded and took the seats directly in front me. They were arguing quietly. All of a sudden, he punches her in the face. I was horrified. She moved to the back seat with me, and she was crying. I didn’t know what to say and asked if she was okay. She didn’t answer, but the guy turned around and apologized to me. Yes, me. She then went off on him. I could not wait to get off of that bus.

Good: We had our regulars, either in the morning or in the evening. Two men who were on my evening commute made a pact with me that if any one of us was still asleep as we got closer to our stop that we would wake up that person. One day they were not on my bus, and I overslept to the last stop. Since the driver was turning around and heading back in that direction, he told me to stay on and would drop me at my stop.

Good: I was running for the subway at the West 4th Street (NYC) stop after work. The doors were closing just as I got there. A pair of arms reached out and grabbed me. The cutest guy had pulled me on to the train. I was so shocked. He tried to talk to me, but I got really shy and could just smile and nod.

Many years ago got on the trolley (see I told you it was long ago) to go to the movies I found a quarter on the seat. To a child who only had a dime for candy I hit the jackpot.

When we were in London we almost got on the wrong train to the airport until a nice young man steered us in the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter