What has been your most emotional house move?

Weirdly, it was a local move. We moved when my kids were 3 and 5. I remember walking around the house trying to really take a moment and memorize all the little places where they learned to crawl, walk, etc. It's about 20 minutes away, but DH and I still drive by on occasion and reminisce. We've even gone back and walked because it was a great neighborhood for walking. We loved that house, but we needed to move for a different school district and are glad we made that choice for our family. If we hadn't had kids we'd still be there though.

Not a move, but closing out and selling my mom's house. I lived there from age 3 until age 24. She lived there 53 years. The house however was just a structure, the memories live on

Probably from our starter home to this one. It was hard to leave behind DS's nursery (with my nieces' handprint border), the kitchen and den my dad and I wallpapered, my first flower gardens...

It was the right time financially, we knew we'd more space eventually, and we love this house for its own great qualities, but I'll always have a soft spot for that one too.

My most recent was to another apartment in our complex because our first apartment building caught fire. It was a easy move , but still.

And a few years ago, got rid of my parents house that I also loved in and brought home both my daughter and granddaughter.

Bought a house instead of having a wedding. Lost it due to the ex’s actions. Thus is life.

Closed on home right as Covid shutdowns begun. 13 months later, home is on the market due to Covid related job loss 9 months after Covid shutdowns. Just a hard pill to swallow. Despite that, we learned a lot and Covid changed how we want to proceed and live our lives. In hindsight, it’s been a blessing and a great time to sell. Very emotional though.

Mine was moving in to my current house. See, when I was a baby my parents divorced and my monther moved down here with her parents. We lived here with my grandparents for many years before my mom go ther own place. Eventually my grandparents moved out of this house and after a few moves were in a house right around the corner from ours. Anyway, at some point after college I was at lunch with my mom, her friend, and my grandmother. The friend says to my grandmother, "So your old house is for sale." The conversation went along and then she said, "I wish I knew someone who wanted to buy it." I had been quiet, but I just said, "I do." I really hadn't thought about buying a house nor did I really think I could. I had a great job though and it was a good time to buy.

Anyway, a week or so passes and I am asked if I was serious or maybe we could at least go take a look at the ol' place for fun. We did that and, well, I couldn't resist it. This simple brick house with an addition that my grandfathrr built, two big pecan trees that I used to climb, and the pool I spent entire summers in. The memories flooded back - some things had changed, but some things had not at all - a light fixture that was still there, those sliding closet doors - they brought back memories. This was the house I grew up in. This was my home.

I got it together and made an offer. I had heard there had been another offer though and I needed to up my bid a little. I said okay, and then waited. It was a long Saturday and I didn't want to go home to hear if the call had come in (before I had a cell phone). I would have been crushed if I didn't get it. I did eventually go home, just a bundle of nerves, but my mom gave me the good news. So, here I sit, in the same room I shared with my sister as a child, now my comic book room/temporary home office. I love living here. Some of the neighbors are still the same people too! I've never felt like I belonged anywhere else.

Last edited:
When we had to move three hours away for a transfer for my DH...
our youngest was just entering high school... he took it and adjusted really well...much better than me!

Bought our first house when we were still in college right before we got married. 3500sqft Italiante Victorian that we spent over a decade completely renovating by ourselves. Our kids were born there and we assumed we would have the house "forever", so it felt much more personal than "just a house".

We abruptly decided to move and it was kind of a whirlwind of researching/visiting new places to relocate, buying another house, going through our stuff to downsize for the move, etc. My husband was offered a job and two weeks later he moved by himself to another state while I stayed behind with the kids until our new house was ready. We thought it would take a long time to sell (some houses on our street sat for sale for YEARS), but we got an offer and I wound up having to move everything out quickly by myself since DH was gone. I think I was so busy that I didn't even have time to process, but when I was driving away with the last load of stuff in my van to take to storage I just cried the whole way.

Probably from our starter home to this one. It was hard to leave behind DS's nursery (with my nieces' handprint border), the kitchen and den my dad and I wallpapered, my first flower gardens...

It's the same for me. Our new house is our dream forever home, but I still stood in DD's empty nursery the night before we closed and bawled my eyes out. It was the house DH and I started our life in, and the one we brought both our furbaby and our human baby home to.

Funny story though, about a month after we'd moved, we decided to drive by the old house. And saw in the front yard the wind chimes and hook we forgot to take with us. Oops. Hope the new owners enjoy them as much as we did!

I haven't really had one. I don't really get that emotional about things like that. My parent's divorced about 3 years ago and they FINALLY just sold the house we grew up in. Meh.

I guess when I moved into my first dorm in college? But, that's mainly because I had VERY bad anxiety at the time.

Toughest for me was when we PCSed 5 hours away from my Mom in a July and then she died in October. I never got to spend the time with her that I had hoped and had to deal with all the estate stuff from a couple states away. --And my husband was away at a school at the time and the Red Cross refused to contact him. Haven't supported them since then. Won't ever.

Mine will be my first ever, once all the legal stuff is complete and I get my completion date. After being under the same roof since the day I was born, it's about time life began for me, since my sister has already fled the nest, and I'll be the last to fly out of the nest. After all, life begins at 30.

Well, for me the most emotional one was the move to Florida, but it was good emotion, not bad. My parents had talked about moving to Florida for years, and when a recession hit and Dad lost his job, they decided to take the plunge. He hired a UHaul truck, hitched one of their cars to the back, and Mom, my sister and I went in the other car. It was a fun road trip - until we got to the new house and learned what palmetto bugs were . . .

Had the last house I lived in with my Mom, and where she peacefully passed, sold out from under me. I had to move very quickly and I was already vulnerable.

My most emotional move was almost exactly a year ago. After having my now ex secretly file for divorce, cheat for years (unbeknownst to me), along with many other purely evil things, the house had to be sold. This was the only house my then 26 y/o dd had known. We packed it up, put it on the market and it sold in a day. 60 days later, we moved out. We had nowhere to go..but thank God my church found us housing.
It was one of the saddest days of my life when I drove away from that house. I guess it's just as well since there were a ton of memories there....good and bad. Now, I look forward to being able to find my own home, clean slate!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter