What happened to the "Big Announcement" on May 18th?

I went to the press event last night which was for all annual passholders. It was for the grand opening of Chester and Hester's Dino Rama. It was for passholders to ride the rides get free ice cream and coke. I had to leave before the actual press event if there even was one so I don't know what if anything was announced. All I know was there what seemed like 8 million people there all waiting in line for 30 minutes for a free Coke.

Must have been a crossed wire somewhere in the rumor matrix.

Instead of a Disney announcement we got one from Universal.

Universal Orlando is getting two major new attractions -- based on the movies Shrek and Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius -- as part of an unexpected expansion that will give Central Florida's ailing tourism industry a much-needed boost
Both sound like good efforts, just wish they weren't replacements for existing attractions.

OSentinel

I've never visited the Alfred Hitchcock attraction that Shrek will replace so Shrek-the ride will be a 'plus' for me.

I'll have to admit that I grew up with the Hanna-Barbera characters though so I'll miss them - but I imagine it's got to the point where most of the people taking their kids to Universal are young enough that even they don't know many of the H-B characters, and if their kids know Fred and Barney it's because of cable... The Rugrats and Sponge Bob are definitely #1 around my house so it should be a hit for my family (even if it makes me feel old to admit it :-).

I will miss Alfred Hitchcock alot!!!! I always enjoyed the attraction, it was a good adult attraction and different from disney in a very good way!!! They watered it down recently by remvoing the shower scene but the 3d fill itself was great!!
I will be very sad to see this attraction leave the park!!!
I have seen the Hanna barbare attraction numerous times so imnot concerned about that and will be happy to see something new!!

I'm glad we decided to wait until next year to visit Universal. These new rides sound great.

And maybe it'll motivate Disney a little?

They removed the Shower scene... Why? Several years ago, I was picked out of the line to play Anthony Perkins and stab Janet Leigh. It was my only 'acting' experience.

A few weeks ago we went to the Hitchcock exhibit for the first time in years. I had no idea about the change to the second part. What a disappointment it was. That WAS the show, in my opinion. Now it is a nearly worthless attraction.

From the start, what I liked most about both Universal and Disney-MGM were the edu-tainment elements. Monster sound show, Superstar TV, the more educating sound stage tour, monster makeup show, hitchcock, murder she wrote, etc. For the most part, those have all now vanished. The public appears to want something different, so I guess I'm in the minority.

Question - does anyone remember exactly where there was a demonstration of how camera direction is used? (it showed a scene being shot from various angles and how the director cut the shots to make the scene. I believe it was television, not movies.) It seems like it was mid-way through the sound stage tour at Disney-MGM. But, I'm not sure it wasn't somewhere at Universal. It's been a while since I saw it and my memory is fading.

The 3d film at the hitchcock attraction was still great!!! It always freaked out my kids (lol) . I also liked the props after the show. Im assuming they took out the shower scene because it was supposdely violent but i always liked that part. I always liked that show and the horror/make uo show. Always good for a couple of laughs and something not meant just for kids like most attractions are!!

Yes, the 3d portion of the movie is good. I'll confess that there's another reason why I liked the 2nd stage of the old show so much. But, I'll stop there. :)

M. Gcurling:

Are you talking about the "Lottery" sequence with Bette Midler at MGM? I seem to recall that they showed you the different ways the shots were produced.

Larry, nope - not the former preshow to the backlot tour. This was indoors. I'm nearly certain that it was in the hallway the has the view of the soundstages. The part of the show that more recently was "here are some soundstages - if they were in use, you'd see something. Come on let's go look at some Dalmatian stuff." I seem to recall a display there with TV monitors and a demonstration of how TV direction works. The CM host was live and in person.

I think you’re talking about a short film they showed while you were looking at The Post Group editing facilities at Disney/MGM Studios. It was towards the end of the walking tour and came after you walked past the sound stages but before you were taken into the Michael Eisner preview theater. The film itself was pretty short and featured Mel Gibson and Pee Wee Herman. It was pulled fairly soon after the park opened because…well let’s just say that Mr. Rubens ran into a little theater etiquette trouble.

Boy, the days of the two & half hour studio tour. THAT was a real trek.

AV, yes - that's it. And, if you took their advice and ventured on to the Animation tour next, you would have a near half day experience in total. I really enjoyed the old tour. So much better than the tram tour that Universal had.

Sorry for taking this thread in a totally different direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter