What film were you WAY too young to watch?

Misery. I was young, but not sure of exact age. Never watched it again as an adult so I'm not sure how bad it actually was. All I know is I've been scared of Kathy Bates ever since.

Silence of the lambs.. I was not prepared as a teenager in a size 13 for that movie...

Alien, Aliens, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Heavy Metal, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Evil Dead...and many B-grade horror flicks on video. That's how a Disney fan is made!

I mean, I grew up in the 80's and there was really no such thing as "too young" to watch movies - 🤣 I do recall asking my mom if we could rent Robocop. I was honest with her that it was supposed to be very violent, etc. but she let me. She knew I was a kid who could handle such things. The parents didn't really start curtailing that stuff until the late 80's early 90's I feel. I got to play Mortal Kombat too, though I was a bit older by then.

My Mother took me to see Love Story when it came out because it sounded like such a nice film. I was 9. She thought I was WAY too young to see it. It has always been one of my favorite movies.

I was 8 when Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came out. I had no business watching some guy get his heart ripped out.

A legitimate flop from 1968 called "Skidoo." The newspapers misclassified it as rated "G," but at the time, it was rated "M." Since then, it was re-rated as an "R." It starred Jackie Gleason as a hitman and Carol Channing as his suffering wife. Only thing I remember was Jackie getting high on LSD as well as some full frontal nudity. Oh, and it was Groucho Marx's last movie.

I was ten at the time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063612/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I was 8 when Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came out. I had no business watching some guy get his heart ripped out.

Oh, sure you did. It didn't scar you, did it? You're probably a big Indy fan today I'd bet. I've never really been convinced that fantasy violence, at least in a movie with a moral context, is all that harmful for kids. It can definitely depend on the kid and what they are ready for, but you seem pretty well adjusted. The dinner scene is way worse anyway!

You make excellent points. I am not afraid someone is going to rip my heart out. :)

I mean, I watched WAY worse than Temple of Doom, ha ha!

Temple of Doom is one of the movies though that got the ball rolling on the PG-13 rating. Before that, PG movies could be pretty intense.

Last edited:
I remember my mom taking me and a friend to the movies when we were in sixth grade, it was Risky Business with Tom Cruise :rotfl2: My mom was so embarrassed but we stayed to watch the entire thing. I mean, what did you expect with an R-rated movie? Wow, that was an eye opener for sure!

Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 9. I was at a neighbor's graduation party and all the "big kids" were inside watching it. I didn't watch very much, but I slept in my parents' room for over a week. The first night my dad had to hold me because I was literally shaking I was so scared.

Poltergeist. I was 8. :sad2: It was my own fault. Stupid HBO.

I heard older neighborhood kids talk about it so I was curious. Saw about 5 minutes ... it was the scene with the steak moving with maggots, then the guy goes to the bathroom and rips off his face. That was all I needed. Scared to tears!!!

Still get freaked about maggots. Thankfully I didn’t see clown scene until years later.

I mean, I grew up in the 80's and there was really no such thing as "too young" to watch movies - 🤣 I do recall asking my mom if we could rent Robocop. I was honest with her that it was supposed to be very violent, etc. but she let me. She knew I was a kid who could handle such things. The parents didn't really start curtailing that stuff until the late 80's early 90's I feel. I got to play Mortal Kombat too, though I was a bit older by then.
This is something I still don't get- but my dad and I actually saw Robocop in the theater. That was definitely an R movie, and I wasn't even in my teens yet. Some theaters didn't care I guess.

Poltergeist. I was 8. :sad2: It was my own fault. Stupid HBO.

I heard older neighborhood kids talk about it so I was curious. Saw about 5 minutes ... it was the scene with the steak moving with maggots, then the guy goes to the bathroom and rips off his face. That was all I needed. Scared to tears!!!

Still get freaked about maggots. Thankfully I didn’t see clown scene until years later.
HBO was how I saw it too, and that face scene was awesome! I was scared, but intrigued. That clown doll though...nope.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter