What ever happened to "the wonderful world of disney" on Sunday nights?

rance

DIS Veteran
Preceded by Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom.

Sure would beat watching america's funniest home videos tonight.

Not sure when it ended, but my absolute favorite "Wonderful World of Disney" movie is The Girl Who Spelled Freedom. :) Thank you for reminding me of one of my cherished childhood memories!

Preceded by Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom.

Sure would beat watching america's funniest home videos tonight.

I agree. I do enjoy AFV but of course I would prefer to watch anything Disney. Especially would love to see broadcasts from the Disney Parks, especially WDW.

Not sure when it ended, but my absolute favorite "Wonderful World of Disney" movie is The Girl Who Spelled Freedom. :) Thank you for reminding me of one of my cherished childhood memories!

I don't know either - but just wanted to chime in and say that movie as a kid!

I think that would be a great tv show to bring back.There doesn't seem to be much in the way of family viewing on sunday nights.

As a kid it was one of the most exciting things on TV. Loved Sunday nights! And I love Mutual of Omaha's wild kingdom too!

Oh I loved The Wonderful World of Disney and Mutual of Omaha's wild Kingdom. They bring back such wonderful memories. Do you all remember Tinker Bell coming out and flying over the castle right up to the front of the screen and using her fairy wand to cast some pixie dust? Right after that they would go into the show. Loved that! They should put them back on or at least sell them as a series on DVD.

I agree. I do enjoy AFV but of course I would prefer to watch anything Disney. Especially would love to see broadcasts from the Disney Parks, especially WDW.

Me too!!!!! I've seen the ones on Travel Channel about 100 times. One was when it was still MGM Studios and they were just building EE at Animal Kingdom! And I've watched the Roseanne Disney World episode at least 100 times and they didn't even HAVE MGM then (now Disney Studios). Time for some new stuff!!!!

I was just thinking about that show. I was looking at tonight TV show and looking for something Disney. I loved the Goofy segments and the animal adventures. Wow this takes me back. Thanks for the memories Walt.

loved the old nature programs where the flowers would open thanks to time release photography and Classic Pooh.

I have to admit that I'd often pretend to have a stomach ache because my parents were very devout and we'd go to Sunday School and Sunday Morning Service followed by unday Evening Prayer Meeting and Training Union so getting to watch Sunday night WWoD was a rare treat. I think my mom knew but let me get away with it. Now we'd just set the DVR though. How the world has changed.

I think that the fireworks over the castle are always beautiful but they might just be a bit more special for those of us who grew up watching Uncle Walt on Sunday nights.

That would be so cool for them to bring that back!! I loved watching it on Sunday nights as a kid!!

I remember watching as a little kid...sure wish they would bring that back. We also used to watch Lawrence Welk as well.

Me too, me too!! I miss these shows tremendously! BTW, we are dating ourselves here. I'm sure there are plenty of folks on this board that don'.t know what these shows are!

Note: Wild Kingdom is on on Sunday nights on Animal Planet, and is one of the better shows on that channel.

They did bring it back after Disney purchased ABC.

The series was revived again on ABC in 1997, two years after Disney purchased ABC. Once again called The Wonderful World of Disney, it ran on Sundays until 2003, when it moved to Saturday night; it continued in that time slot until 2008

The series finale aired Wednesday 8:00 P.M. ET on December 24, 2008, with a presentation of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_anthology_television_series

Oh and watching paint dry is better than watching america's funniest home videos.

We ALWAYS watched The Wonderful World of Disney and Wild Kingdom when I was little. I remember that Marlin Perkins would always have his assistant (Jim was his name if I remember correctly) do the dangerous stuff. It went something like, "and now Jim will wrestle the giant alligator in to the boat." Loved that!

That was the highlight of our week when we were kids. We weren't allowed to watch much TV but we were allowed to watch that every week! I wish they had it now--the shows were always great for families and appropriate for almost all ages. I didn't realize it aired until 2008--I was thinking it went away in the late 90's when I was in high school.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter