What does 'position number' mean on SW boarding passes?

WDW TRIP NUT

Mouseketeer
We haven't flown SW in a while. What does the position number mean on the boarding passes? Is that when you line up to board:confused3, or your seat number?

That is just for boarding. They will let you know where to line up. There are no reserved seats on Southwest.

Used to be SWA just gave you a letter for your boarding group (A, B or C) that let you know which group you would be boarding with.

This caused the formation of huge lines at the gate, because everyone knew the earlier you got in line, the better choice of seats you had. There were people sitting in groups on the floor like they were waiting to get into a concert or something.

The current procedure is that you will receive a position number determined by the time you check in. The A group will be numbered A 1 through A 60. A 1-15 are reserved for Business Select customers (who paid more to get a guaranteed A pass). So, the first person to check in for any given SWA flight who is not Business Select will be assigned position A-16. The next person will be A-17 and so on.

When you line up for boarding, each group will line up in numerical order - when the A group lines up, the first will be the Business Select group, then the rest of the A group starting with A-16 and going through A-60. When the A group boards the plane, the B boarding group will line up starting with B-1 and ending with B-60 and they will then board the plane in that order. Same with the C group.

This means no more lines forming in the airport hours before flight time, and no more worrying where you will end up in line - you know as soon as you have checked in and received your boarding number.

They are not seat numbers - when you board the plane, you may choose any open seat.

Oh Good! Thanks for the response! I have flown SW several times, just didn't know what the number meant. We have lined up according to A,B,or C only. This will help so much; now I won't have to sit in the floor one hour before boarding. ha ha

The current procedure is that you will receive a position number determined by the time you check in. The A group will be numbered A 1 through A 60. A 1-15 are reserved for Business Select customers (who paid more to get a guaranteed A pass). So, the first person to check in for any given SWA flight who is not Business Select will be assigned position A-16. The next person will be A-17 and so on.
The first person to check in won't necessarily get A16. SW allots the numbers after Business Select to any A-Listers (SW frequent flyers) on the flight. If there are no A-Listers, you could still be in the teens. If not, the first person to check in is usually in the 20s.

Those position numbers refer sepcifically to the positions of the kama sutra. You might be in for a pleasant flight.

We haven't flown SW in a while. What does the position number mean on the boarding passes? Is that when you line up to board:confused3, or your seat number?

Would you get that assigined # when you checked in on-line? Is it still to your advantage to check in 24 hours in advance? It has been 3 years since we flew SW.

Would you get that assigined # when you checked in on-line? Is it still to your advantage to check in 24 hours in advance? It has been 3 years since we flew SW.

Yes, your boarding letter/number is assigned at check in; and the earlier you check in the lower the number you will get. That's exactly why checking in as close to the 24-hour mark as possible is important.

Yes, your boarding letter/number is assigned at check in; and the earlier you check in the lower the number you will get. That's exactly why checking in as close to the 24-hour mark as possible is important.
Thanks!! I can handle that!

Those position numbers refer sepcifically to the positions of the kama sutra. You might be in for a pleasant flight.

That's one of the benefits open seating. You want to be sitting next to the right person.

The sequence number is used if the GA if SW needs to involuntarily bump a passenger. Generally SW doesn't give out more BPs then there are seats. You should panic if instead of a BP you get a paper that gets you through security and tells you to get your acutal BP at the gate.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but also have SW questions.

I've never flown SW before....but looking at a flight from IAD in early Oct. What are the chances that I wouldn't be able to get a seat near my DD? She's 12, so it wouldn't be the end of the world, but she would be annoyed if we weren't side by side.

Also, do the "fly anytime" rates allow for early check in? The info the FAQ section says you can check in early "if allowed", but I can't find out wouldn't be allowed.:confused3

What are the chances that I wouldn't be able to get a seat near my DD?
Almost zero. Only the last few people on the plane have trouble getting seats together. And even then they can usually move people around to get a parent and child to sit together. And while the odds aren't exactly zero, they aren't zero on other airlines either as they will sometimes have to move people out of reserved seats.

I'm a huge SW fan, been a frequent flier for years, and to be honest, I have no idea what early check-in is. But as long as you check in close to 24-hours in advance, you'll be fine.

Almost zero. Only the last few people on the plane have trouble getting seats together. And even then they can usually move people around to get a parent and child to sit together. And while the odds aren't exactly zero, they aren't zero on other airlines either as they will sometimes have to move people out of reserved seats.

I'm a huge SW fan, been a frequent flier for years, and to be honest, I have no idea what early check-in is. But as long as you check in close to 24-hours in advance, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. I booked my flight down to MCO with South West. Return flight is still undecided. So, if I go with SW, how do I "check in" from ASMusic to fly home? I don't plan on taking my laptop.

Thanks for the reply. I feel better now. I booked my flight down to MCO with South West. Return flight is still undecided. So, if I go with SW, how do I "check in" from ASMusic to fly home? I don't plan on taking my laptop.

You can go to the hotel desk or any guest service desk and they will check you in. You just need the confirmation number.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter