What does aging gracefully mean to you?

This is a beautiful description.

I definitely think the "gracefully" part is more of a mindset of being at peace and fully embracing the stage of life you are in than about any specific thing you choose to do or not do. I think it's not being afraid of being "old", but still taking the time to care for yourself (in whatever way feels best to you).

I've actually had the opposite experience as I have aged. I spent my youth being way too self-conscious about the way I looked. I think back and feel so sad for that girl who grew up in the Florida heat but always wearing a sweater because my arms were too hairy, never owning a pair of shorts because my legs were too pale, not eating because I didn't want to gain weight, avoiding fun activities like swimming because I was scared to wear a bathing suit in public, etc.

Of course, I still have times where I'm critical of myself, but in general I feel more comfortable with my body now than I ever did when I was much younger and thinner. I think in some ways I feel that I "wasted" my attractiveness in my youth, so I had better appreciate what I have now and enjoy it as much as possible.
You're inspiring me to be better. I've never felt even a little body conscious. This is a new feeling for me. I'm not sure how I'm going to work through it, but I will figure it out. I was raised by my grandmother, who most definitely didn't try to age gracefully. She had multiple facelifts and other plastic surgeries while I lived with her.

OP here. Great responses.

I‘m an advocate of you do it your way. I guess I’m still sorting out what my way is, which is why I asked.

My goal is to love the body I’m in. I‘m finding that harder these days. I’m a little more self conscious without clothes in front of my husband. I spend more time picking clothes because I’m not really sure what my style is or how I should style my hair so I don’t look frumpy or trying too hard to look youthful. I went to a baby shower recently and was seated at the “old” end of the table. All signs point to I’m aging ;)

Anyways, I should probably get out of my head on this. I’m grateful to be getting older.
My gained experience on this is: Does he notice? Yes. Does it matter to him? No. :lovestruc

That is where you would have to weigh the risks vs the rewards on that I guess. I think that growing old gracefully is someone accepting their natural body as it ages and changes. It is completely normal to have saggy breast after nourishing your babies and no one should feel bad about that. I think that society has done woman, especially, a huge disservice in thinking that we always have to be "perfect". Nice hair, makeup, perky breasts, etc. It is not natural and let's face it, it is done to keep men happy whether some want to admit that or not. Men don't get a scrotum lift when they start sagging as they age and everyone would think that was bonkers anyway because it is a natural part of aging.
IDK why so many, especially other woman of a certain age, try so hard to please society and let others dictate how they should feel about their bodies. Personally, I will never have my breasts lifted because my life is more important than perky boobs. And for the record, I am not speaking hypothetically "if" they sag because mine are almost touching my belly button, but I don't care.
I wanted to put a laughing emoji on this but I didn’t want you to think I was laughing at you; just with you.

My DH and I just sort of lovingly tease eachother, but at least we can laugh about it.

You're inspiring me to be better. I've never felt even a little body conscious. This is a new feeling for me. I'm not sure how I'm going to work through it, but I will figure it out. I was raised by my grandmother, who most definitely didn't try to age gracefully. She had multiple facelifts and other plastic surgeries while I lived with her.
I think this has a bigger impact than we tend to even be aware of. My sisters and I have all had some major body issues growing up that were most definitely rooted in the fact that our mother has the worst self esteem of any person I have ever met. She had learned from her parents that a person’s worth was directly correlated to their attractiveness (and since they lived with my parents for most of my life we were exposed to that as well). There was absolutely no body acceptance modeled for us, so we were certainly not exposed to any concept of growing old gracefully.

Going to turn 55 in the next couple of weeks and I’m definitely wrapping my head around this concept. Here’s what it means to me.

Use it or lose it. Keeping active is key and a healthy BMI. Everyday I’m doing some type of physical activity. Hike, walk, bike, gardening…

Letting go of the little annoyances in life. You wanna cut me off as I merge onto the 405 and act all outrageous…go right ahead. Duck feathers…

Love hard. We aren’t promised tomorrow, so I love the people who I’m invested in with great heart.

This has been a big topic in my house. Aging gracefully to me means no invasive cosmetic procedures like surgeries, implants, or injections. It's also a state of mind. Age is a gift and there will never be a "turning 29 again" statement from me!

Edited because I wanted to reframe a sentence about my daughter and body image. While I do want her to love her aging body, it's not black and white.

This thread is very thought provoking and I'm thoroughly enjoying the replies!

Last edited:
To me, aging gracefully can also mean aging thankfully. No matter what you are going through, and it certainly can be a challenge mentally, physically and emotionally as the years literally fly by, take the time to count the blessings you have had in your life. Every single person has their own special challenges as they age and mine could actually far lighter in comparison to others.

IMHO, the key is acceptance and being kind to oneself. Yes, we can opt for surgeries, procedures, and ‘miracle’ products, but, in the end, nature will run its course and you’re constantly fighting a losing battle and getting frustrated.
As a person in my 70’s, I’ve been shocked and dismayed at how my body has changed each year (arrogantly, I thought it’d never happen to me as I’ve worn the sunscreen, stayed active, etc.). Body parts wear out, good health isn’t guaranteed no matter how diligent we’ve been. So I guess we need to dwell in the blessings of living. It’s been a struggle to accept reality, but I’m getting there.

Aging gracefully for me means accepting that wrinkles and grey hair are a part of life, that doing things a little more slowly is OK as long as you're still doing something, and that being comfortable with who you are when you're old and wise is just as important as being comfortable with who you are when you're young and pretty.
I like this response a lot. I would add that, with a daughter in her early 20’s, I feel a responsibility to accept aging as a part of life to hopefully be a role model for her. I have friends in their 30s who talk about how they should have started Botox or fillers years ago to ensure they don’t get wrinkles. These women are truly beautiful and I support them in whatever they choose to do, but their fear of showing signs of aging makes me sad, and I blame our culture. It just seems like once you start down a path of fighting the aging process, it turns into a never ending battle. Once you “fix” one thing, does it then make other things look worse and then they need to be fixed? It’s a battle you really can’t win.

I am happy that the pandemic brought about more people embracing their grey hair. I hope it leads to a culture shift. I personally am choosing not to color my hair and just do the best with what I’ve got. I will make jokes at times about my body changing, but sometimes it’s tough, and seeing myself on Zoom is not helping! But overall, I just hope I can be happy and healthy, accept myself for who I am and how I look, be grateful for the opportunity to get old, and support my female friends no matter what choices they make. We’re all in this together.

As an almost 50 year old, I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately. My body is changing and I’m starting to feel….different (not sure what the word is) about my outward appearance.

Curious what aging gracefully means. Are you accepting the outward changes in your appearance? Are you spending extra time getting ready every day and more aware of how things look on your body?

I’ve never been self conscious of my appearance, but I’m noticing a shift in my thinking lately.
I think there are different things depending on ones age that have their own priorities. In my 50's I didn't really think about it very much. The same for the start of 60, it wasn't until the last three years of my 60's that I started to have medical problems kick in. First, there was Prostate Cancer, followed closely by cataracts (both eyes), then couple kidney stones requiring surgery and the second one got infected and caused a bout of sepsis. Then I had started to have a problem walking caused by stenosis in a couple of spinal areas in the lumbar region of my back controlled somewhat by chiropractic help and exercise. That carried through until I was 70 and all of a sudden I needed a pacemaker. That was followed within a year with another stenosis, this time in my neck that put me almost in a permanent wheelchair caused my hands to feel constantly numb (great feeling) and had a Cervical spine fusion in my neck. That was done last August. What that means is I have been basically recovering from things since that first happy birthday diagnosis date.

So I went from having no aging problems and feeling like I always did to what was, at one point, practically unable to walk without assistance and even then it was a shuffle. So everything I thought of as aging gracefully was tossed out the window. Now my primary occupation is relearning how to walk normally getting treatments to my back on a weekly basis and generally just trying to remain as active as possible and setting goals for recovery. I have made a lot of progress in that area and have decided that as long as I can do it, I am going to continue to push myself and set goals for travel and mental exercise. Posting on these discussion boards are one of those exercises in mental awareness and maintaining my independence and self care.

That's as aging gracefully as I can get. The what I look like ship sailed a long time ago. Now I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I got those bruises on my arms. Aging is a real adventure. I even went back to the golf course for a few holes just to ease myself back into things. My current large goal is to be able to drive back up to Vermont this summer to visit friends and relatives. I have still been driving through most of this but it's not the driving it's the trying to walk after I've sat in a car for a couple of hours. Fun, fun and more fun.

One of the fortunate things that did happen was from the very first mind boggler. On my 67th birthday I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. They felt it was the slow growing kind so I opted to monitor the situation and if the problem got to the right point that surgery or some option was advisable I would do it then. In just a couple months I will be 75 and it hasn't grown enough for anyone to care about it, so, as the medical profession says so eloquently, "the chances are that you will die of something else long before this gets to be a problem" so I've got that going for me. :)

I can tell you this, I will not go gentle into that good night!

Last edited:
I think there are different things depending on ones age that have their own priorities. In my 50's I didn't really think about it very much. The same for the start of 60, it wasn't until the last three years of my 60's that I started to have medical problems kick in. First, there was Prostate Cancer, followed closely by cataracts (both eyes), then couple kidney stones requiring surgery and the second on got infected and cause a bout of sepsis. Then I had started to have a problem walking caused by stenosis in a couple of spinal areas in the lumbar region of my back controlled somewhat by chiropractic help and exercise. That carried through until I was 70 and all of a sudden I needed a pacemaker. That was followed within a year with another stenosis, this time in my neck that put me almost in a permanent wheelchair caused my hands to feel constantly numb (great feeling) and had a Cervical spine fusion in my neck. That was done last August. What that means is I have been basically recovering from things since that date.

So I went from having no aging problems and feeling like I always did to what was, at one point, practically unable to walk without assistance and even then it was a shuffle. So everything I thought of as aging gracefully was tossed out the window. Now my primary occupation is relearning how to walk normally getting treatments to my back on a weekly basis and generally just trying to remain as active as possible and setting goals for recovery. I have made a lot of progress in that area and have decided that as long as I can do it, I am going to continue to push myself and set goals for travel and mental exercise. Posting on these discussion boards are one of those exercises in mental awareness and maintaining my independence and self care.

That's as aging gracefully as I can get. The what I look like ship sailed a long time ago. Now I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how I got those bruises on my arms. Aging is a real adventure. I even went back to the golf course for a few holes just to ease myself back into things. My current large goal is to be able to drive back up to Vermont this summer to visit friends and relatives. I have still been driving through most of this but it's not the driving it's the trying to walk after I've sat in a car for a couple of hours. Fun, fun and more fun.

One of the fortunate things that did happen was from the very first mind boggler. On my 67th birthday I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. They felt it was the slow growing kind so I opted to monitor the situation and if the problem got to the right point that surgery or some option was advisable I would do it then. In just a couple months I will be 75 and it hasn't grown enough for anyone to care about it, so, as the medical profession says so eloquently, "the chances are that you will die of something else long before this gets to be a problem" so I've got that going for me. :)

I can tell you this, I will not go gentle into that good night!

I‘m glad to read responses from some of the men here. My husband is turning 50 soon. To me, he gets more attractive the older he gets. I love that his hair is peppered with gray and he has laugh lines. He denies he’s aging, though, so he’s not even trying to age gracefully 😂

I‘m glad to read responses from some of the men here. My husband is turning 50 soon. To me, he gets more attractive the older he gets. I love that his hair is peppered with gray and he has laugh lines. He denies he’s aging, though, so he’s not even trying to age gracefully 😂
One doesn't need to push that narrative. Age comes to you and there is only one way to avoid it. That way really doesn't seem like a quality solution.

I'll be 50 this year and every year I care less and less about what others think. I am clean and groomed, don't wear dirty clothes, and I don't stink. If someone is offended by how I look without makeup and perfect hair, that is on them. It is sad to think about how much time some waste on vanity just to impress a bunch of strangers. That is what I think.
I don’t care what strangers think when I do my hair and make up. Everything I do is for me. I’m the one managing it not them. 😆

We will have to agree to disagree. If an older woman or even a man looks in the mirror and sees something that makes them feel bad about themselves and some Botox injections or even surgery will make them feel better and more confident, why not do it if that’s where they want to spend their money?

Where do you draw the line? If a 45 year old mother who breastfeed her 3 children wanted to get a breast lift because she didn’t feel good about the way she looked, would that be ok in your eyes?
This! I'm almost 59 and have done Botox for my forehead lines and 11's a few times. It's pricey so I can't do it as often as I'd like. But when I do I feel so much better looking in the mirror. Not for anyone else but for me! As my lines are so deep I hate, absolutely hate myself with them. So it's worth it to me. If anything you can do to make yourself feel better, then why not?

I think it means when you just accept that you are older and don't go to great lengths to hide that. That doesn't mean not using makeup or skin care products to reduce the signs of aging, but more like getting plastic surgery and such. I think it more has to do with you act, not what you look like.
This is exactly how I feel & what I do. I still want to look my best but accept that I’m in my 40s & some of it is what it is!

57 here. Still dyeing my hair, but at home. I am just making more of a conscious effort to stay healthy and keep moving. Would love to lose some weight, but not stressing over it any longer. I make sure I eat healthy and move! 10,000 plus steps a day 90% of the time. Of course I want to look good as far as hair, makeup and body go, but I am definitely more relaxed about then I have been and just extremely grateful I am healthy. I will never take that for granted.

We will have to agree to disagree. If an older woman or even a man looks in the mirror and sees something that makes them feel bad about themselves and some Botox injections or even surgery will make them feel better and more confident, why not do it if that’s where they want to spend their money?
One challenging thing about aging is that we all have to do what makes us feel good/confident, but I've found we also have to grow a tougher skin, as many people - especially arrogant younger ones - can act extremely judgmental and condescending - as they have not experienced this life stage yet and think they know it all.

This is actually one rare time where I think men have it even tougher than women. If a woman dyes her hair or gets a wig/weave to feel better about herself, few think it's a big deal. But if a man dislikes the way he personally looks with graying hair or no hair, he's often ridiculed for dying hair, wearing a wig/weave or getting transplants.

We've come such a long way in accepting different body shapes - I just wish people were more tolerant of how each of us chooses to age.

I think it's more about a state of mind and finally being comfortable in your own skin. That can mean different things to different people. Some will dye their hair, others won't, some will wear make up some won't. I think it's about accepting you are getting older and living life anyway. Being grateful you are alive instead of being bitter you are older.
This is a great answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter