What do they do at Fort Wilderness in the case of a hurricane?

Would they put you up for the entire trip or just while the fort is closed? The storm path is so unpredictable right now that I hate to cancel based on it, but can’t see dragging a TT the whole way not to use it. Hmmm... I’m sure it will be clearer as it gets closer.

They put us up in All Star Sports after hurricane Irma, for the 3 days until the Fort reopened.
Things to consider is hurricane damage part of your insurance on your RV ?? or is it considered an act of GOD.
Fuel will be scarce to no existent, as the trucks bringing it in will stop prior to the hurricane, and if flooding occurs the fuel in the tanks may be no good, due to too much water.
Folks, remember these TT and Fifth Wheels these days are not made of bricks, they are flimsy cardboard boxes at best in a hurricane.
Also, if the Fort is closed, remember there will be nothing to do as the Parks will be closed also, so you will be sitting there staring at each other.

They put us up in All Star Sports after hurricane Irma, for the 3 days until the Fort reopened.
Things to consider is hurricane damage part of your insurance on your RV ?? or is it considered an act of GOD.
Fuel will be scarce to no existent, as the trucks bringing it in will stop prior to the hurricane, and if flooding occurs the fuel in the tanks may be no good, due to too much water.
Folks, remember these TT and Fifth Wheels these days are not made of bricks, they are flimsy cardboard boxes at best in a hurricane.
Also, if the Fort is closed, remember there will be nothing to do as the Parks will be closed also, so you will be sitting there staring at each other.

Thank you! Yes, thankfully it is insured for hurricane damage (first thing DH checked yesterday) but we’re not going to risk it. Storm paths are clearer today so we’re going to reschedule. We’re all disappointed, but at least we’ll be safe.

2 hours and someone finally came on the line. I’m going to get the refund and rebook later. We are looking at a full hook up site this time. We were suppose to be in preferred. Remind me which loops are “full hook up”?

2 hours and someone finally came on the line. I’m going to get the refund and rebook later. We are looking at a full hook up site this time. We were suppose to be in preferred. Remind me which loops are “full hook up”?
1600 1700 1800 1900 2100.

Just got the call from Disney Reservations and we took the PO relocation.

Would they put you up for the entire trip or just while the fort is closed? The storm path is so unpredictable right now that I hate to cancel based on it, but can’t see dragging a TT the whole way not to use it. Hmmm... I’m sure it will be clearer as it gets closer.

During Matthew, they gave us the option to return.

What dates were your reservations for? We are scheduled to check in on Sunday Sep 8-16

Next Tues. to Fri. Only 2.5 hour drive in car from home, longer in MH even without winds, so no big deal and can still cancel.

Just saw they closed Blizzard Beach and are contacting people with FW reservations and some other resorts.
MCO closing on monday morning, so no inbound or outbound flights.

Over on FB there are reports that Ft W is on standby to evacuate by 2pm Sunday if deemed appropriate. Also for those who feel they can tough it out The Orange County Sheriff's Office will have personnel on hand to encourage and if need be assist them with leaving.

Prediction this morning is it might turn north early. Yippee Mickey! However, this situation is highly fluid...so to speak.

Praying for Florida & all in the path of Dorian. We are praying it will turn into the Atlanta & die there, not hitting anything.

Latest projections are looking better and better. Now they are believing it won't make landfall in Florida and will work up the east coast. Of course this is not good for Georgia, South Carolina, or North Carolina. Even if this is the case, being projected cat 4 even coming close will still have significant risks associated with it but at least it's looking more promising.

We ended up pushing our dates out, but are watching to see if we can go earlier again. Not to be there during the storm, but afterward. So far the newest models look good for that, so fingers crossed! Last I heard landfall was Outer Banks, so really praying that the storm keeps going and doesn't make landfall at all. But it's good news for us and selfishly I'm thrilled that it looks like the Fort will be fine and might not have to close for a week or two.

We 'had' a reservation at FW for arriving today thru Sunday (9/8) but we decided to move the dates to 9/7 - 9/12. Our concerns were our home just north of Jacksonville, FL. Our original FW stay was in coordination my son, daughter-n-law and 2 1/2 year old grandson who were booked at Wilderness Lodge. Now that the storm track began to move east off the coast my daughter-n-law decide to change their WL res to this Tuesday (9/3) through next Sunday with the hopes by Monday we'd have a better idea of the track of Dorian up the east coast of FL. So this morning I attempted to move my FW reservation to next Tuesday thru Sunday as well. I was unable to make the change on-line so had to call and was informed bt the CM that FW is NOT taking any reservations at this point until at least 9/7. I was offered a reduced rate stay at Arts of Animation resort with the parking fee waived. We were disappointed with not being able to get into FW, but wanted to still enjoy Disney with our Son and family so I made the reservation at Art of Animation. Since we are only a 3 hour drive from Disney, I will check Monday to see if the FW status has change (since the MH is already packed) and if they opened back up will attempt to move our res back to FW. And of course, IF the track of Dorian changes in a negative way we will cancel to stay home to keep our eyes on things back there. For us, September at FW has not been good. We had to cancel our trip in September of 2017 because of Irma and ended up living in our MH in the driveway for 7 days until we got power back at the house. The driveway camping just was not the same as FW, Thank goodness for the old MH during the Irma recovery. Ran the generator 24 hours a day for 7 days and burnt 45 gallons of diesel.
Be safe everyone. We'll miss being at FW, but we'll at least be with are Family!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter