What About Your Lifestyle/Habits Saves You Big $$$ ?

That's what I have too! I love that car and mine has always idled hard too, so it's nice to know it's just the make.
My mechanic (who I dearly miss not having anymore, he moved out of our metro) told me that was a common problem with the ZX2's and it was related to the motor mount. He said it wasn't harming the car either but I've always joked you get a little back massage when you're in my car :laughing:.

Do you have a cd disc changer? Like in the trunk? The person who owned my car before me put a 6-disc changer in the trunk and I'm so glad they did. From what I understand that was a common enough thing to do with the car since the console where the cassette player was at wasn't really easy to do an aftermarket cd disc. I don't listen to cd's much anymore (it's actually been years since I've swapped out the cds) but every now and then I switch to it when I get tired of the radio. I had a cassette converter but it was always touchy and I never got a new one.

And this is all why a new car for me nowadays is like striking gold for how much 'new' and actually new stuff I'll be able to get lol.
I've never known anyone else to have one.
I've known a person who had a 2003 but that's the only other person I knew personally. That said I do actually see it often enough in my metro. I actually just saw one today in the same color as mine (black) but it was more beat up than mine lol. It's a good little car just has had quirks over the years at least for mine. I do so love my nuts and bolts car (as my mom described it a few months back).
It also frustrates me how there are no options for a 2 door coupe now under 30k. We don't all want a 4 door car, crossover or suv.
Ahh yeah most car makers (U.S. at least) are doing away with sedans in general as consumers apparently prefer suvs and trucks. On the one hand I can't blame them but yeah it can be frustrating because there are people who do still want them and I actually a few years back too, I was really looking into a hybrid Lincoln MKZ. Lincoln has since ceased all sedan production and only makes SUVs. Some of them are just reducing how many they make. I do feel you though. And yeah a 2-door coupe is hard to find much less not costing an arm and a leg.
I'm going to see if the local college that has an auto program will take it as a donation to work on, otherwise I'm not quite sure what I'll do with it other than not trade it in. Too much hassle for what I'd get and what they'd get.
Oooh that's a good idea to look at, I should see about that when the time comes for me or we have high school programs here that may want it for their automotive class. Actually today we joked the junk yard who could scrap it for the metal or a pick n pull place would probably give me better amount over anything else.

Do you have a cd disc changer? Like in the trunk? The person who owned my car before me put a 6-disc changer in the trunk and I'm so glad they did. From what I understand that was a common enough thing to do with the car since the console where the cassette player was at wasn't really easy to do an aftermarket cd disc. I don't listen to cd's much anymore (it's actually been years since I've swapped out the cds) but every now and then I switch to it when I get tired of the radio. I had a cassette converter but it was always touchy and I never got a new one.

It came with a tape deck when I got it in 01 and then in 04 I got a cd radio at circuit city. My issue with it is the wires are loose behind it so not all of teh speakers work, sometimes are staticy and sometimes I hit a bump and one comes in loud and clear and I have to turn it down, until I hit another bump. Not sure what I'll do without a cd player in the car and I don't think I can hook my ipod up. I don't want to have to put stuff on my phone. I listen to teh radio most of the time anyway, so if I have a roadtrip I guess I'll just use a podcast app or something. I don't want satellite, I wouldn't use it. I like my local stations and prefer to support them.

Ford also has stopped making cars except for the mustang.

My issue with it is the wires are loose behind it so not all of teh speakers work, sometimes are staticy and sometimes I hit a bump and one comes in loud and clear and I have to turn it down, until I hit another bump.
Oh geez that sounds really unfortunate. My speakers have actually outlasted my husband's (odd because I listen to music much louder than he does) as the front passenger speaker is starting to have some issues like something may be loose. The disc changer in the trunk is sensitive to road bumps so unfortunately skips happen more often but at least it's not like your issue with your speakers :(

But on a lighter note it's kinda funny to talk about older cars because it always seems like there's some story that goes with something (or more than one something lol) quirky it has.
I don't want satellite, I wouldn't use it.
Me either. I know some of the cars we've looked at come with trials for it and that's fine but I don't see myself using it long-term. My mom has Sirius and I kinda get bored of what it offers whenever I'm in the car with her. I def. prefer local stations as well.

I agree that it's cheaper, but again when we are socializing, we don't typically order takeout, part of the whole experience is going to restaurants together. Also, I've found that a lot of food just doesn't hold up well to takeout/delivery. We got Mexican a few weeks ago and the tacos were all soggy and falling apart.
Agree. To me I won’t rather go out once than do takeout twice. The food is never as fresh and good. As far as cost we now are going to less expensive restaurants and our children are grown so it really does not cost all that much more as cooking at home. We are both working 60 plus hours a week and need at least one night to unwind

My parents like to do Take-Out now. They did it at first because they are old and were worried about socializing. They don't have that worry now, but they liked having wine that wasn't over-priced.
For us, I don't understand the appeal of take-out. But, then we don't drink in restaurants.

One thing I do that saves us money and that I never thought of including is that I make all of my kids’ elaborate custom birthday cakes, from three tier purple castles with dripping ice and “crystal” flowers to mermaid tails to Mickey Mouse clubhouse. It just occurred to me today because we celebrated my younger daughter’s 6th birthday and my cousin asked me who made the big pineapple shaped cake and how much they charged. It cost me $15 plus time.

I have not read all 17 pages, but as a person that retired in the mid 50's, here is one thing we did...............

Vehicles-
--either we bought a 2 year old used car and drove it into the ground.
--or we bought a brand new car with cloth and no sunroof, as opposed to one with leather, NAV, sunroof, etc......and either drove it into the ground or still have it.

Presently have a 1998 truck that is garage kept..............and a 2015 sedan that is just now broken in at 95,000 miles!

Regular maintenance and keeping them clean inside and out are the keys to being satisfied with an aging car.

It can be done. One of my grandfathers left school in the third grade, was drafted into WW2 and was a carpenter when he came home. Never made hardly anything. Never spent anything. Raised 3 children and saved every penny. Died a millionaire from saving.

Other grandfather finished the 6th grade and was a farmer. Started with less than nothing. Every penny he made he used to buy land. Raised 5 children and left over 600 acres to his kids when he died.

So yes, you can make barely anything, work hard, save and amass wealth. But, you have to make choices. Choices most people wouldn‘t like. No travel. No new cars. Live in a cheap house. Both my grandfathers built their own houses. Themselves with family and friends helping. Literally spending no money. That isn’t how people chose to live today.
Why bother? Just to die a millionaire? I totally get that everyone has different priorities but honestly, your first paragraph strikes me as very, very sad. :flower3: I hope he had a fulfilling and happy life, not one plagued by constant nagging worry about money and scarcity, which is something I've seen often in people even when they have ample resources.

I will also chime in on cloth diapers as someone who has had multiple kids in the last decade and done it both ways. The savings were huge, even after washing costs. Then you can reuse for many children, or resell for a large chunk of what you spent. Yes, used CDs that have been well maintained have a great market value. I also use reusable feminine products and have for years. Those and dipes can wash together.

If you been around the Disboards for a while, you probably have also noticed that EVERYTHING on these boards is a competition, so if I say I save money by only eating out once per week, someone will have to come along and top me by only eating out once per month, then then next person can't be outdone by their thriftiness, so they post they only eat out once per year, and it just snowballs from there. Keep in mind that some of these "thrifty" comments may be a little stretch on the truth in order to top someone else.

a truer statement has never been made. Take their advice with a barrel of salt.

just learned about this so i thought i would share it-

i knew our health insurance provided free memberships at some national fitness places but i just learned that rec centers can be affiliated as well. i was looking up info on a stunning rec center in a nearby city and saw on their website that they are affiliated with 3 different parent companies that many of the major health insurers contract with to provide free memberships. found out both our insurance as well as the 2 different insurers each of our adult children have qualify us for free unlimited rec center memberships.

being able to access FOR FREE the same fitness offerings the fitness places have in addition to multiple pools, a lazy river, a kid's splash area, a wealth of classes, group sports, inside basketball and volleyball courts........it could be a great way to keep kids busy during the summer months, and the savings over what i see people post on these boards that they have to pay for just a swimming pass for a local pool is tremendous!

check out your health insurance to see if you have this coverage and then where you can locally use it.

I will also chime in on cloth diapers as someone who has had multiple kids in the last decade and done it both ways. The savings were huge, even after washing costs. Then you can reuse for many children, or resell for a large chunk of what you spent. Yes, used CDs that have been well maintained have a great market value. I also use reusable feminine products and have for years. Those and dipes can wash together.

I used reusable feminine products (pads) for years (I'm past that age now), and loved them. I'd just wash them out in the sink after use, then throw them through the washer with a load of undies. (A menstrual cup didn't work for me, but a lot of people love them).

We don't have expensive cars. Don't get me wrong, we would like expensive cars, but I just cannot justify it. We live in a city and are no more than 20min from almost anything. We just don't spend much time in the car. We are drive the inexpensive cars we have into the ground people. We kept a (purchased used) Smart car for 10 years.

My corvette dreams will probably stay that way forever.

I used reusable feminine products (pads) for years (I'm past that age now), and loved them. I'd just wash them out in the sink after use, then throw them through the washer with a load of undies. (A menstrual cup didn't work for me, but a lot of people love them).

One thing I noticed is that the duration became much less when I switched to cloth. I'd noticed that and wondered about it. Then I read somewhere that some people react to the chemical used to make stuff absorbent.

Why bother? Just to die a millionaire? I totally get that everyone has different priorities but honestly, your first paragraph strikes me as very, very sad. :flower3: I hope he had a fulfilling and happy life, not one plagued by constant nagging worry about money and scarcity, which is something I've seen often in people even when they have ample resources.

It sounds like it was to pass it on to future generations. I’m not saying it was worth it, but that seems to be the reason.

Sometimes I hear stories that shock me of what people have done to create opportunities for their children, grand children, great grand children, etc. It definitely begs the question of how far is too far. You don’t want to choose a few extra acres over a relationship you never had with your kid that you’re passing it down to.

I just traded in my Jeep for an EV. I drive a lot so it can get pretty expensive so I just charge and go. So far I am saving $200 a month on gas and putting it on the loan so it is paid off sooner and I save on loan interest too.

Interest is the root of all evil...mortgage, student loans, car loans, and the ultimate slayer of financial health, credit card interest. Outside of a home purchase, everything should be either paid for by cash or it is beyond your financial means and should not be bought. Don't like writing checks ot carrying a wad of benjamins? Place your purchase on a credit card and then pay the balance down to 0 when you get your monthly statement.

If you live on credit you are a fool.

Interest is the root of all evil...mortgage, student loans, car loans, and the ultimate slayer of financial health, credit card interest. Outside of a home purchase, everything should be either paid for by cash or it is beyond your financial means and should not be bought. Don't like writing checks ot carrying a wad of benjamins? Place your purchase on a credit card and then pay the balance down to 0 when you get your monthly statement.

Really? Would you tell aspiring physicians that if they need student loans, then they shouldn’t attend college?
I’m not suggesting people rack up huge credit card bills that they can’t afford to pay, but blanket statements such as yours are not helpful.

No. This is unrealistic and it just sounds like you are spitting out whatever Dave Ramsey says.

Really? Would you tell aspiring physicians that if they need student loans, then they shouldn’t attend college?
I’m not suggesting people rack up huge credit card bills that they can’t afford to pay, but blanket statements such as yours are not helpful.

Yes, you are suggesting that people rack up huge sums of debt (not necessarily credit card, admittingly) that they can't afford.

This is not a blanket statement. It is a practical one that ensures that people do not become financial servants to banks. However, it does fly in the face of conventional entitlement that rules American society. Therefore, I can understand the heavy resistance. Take care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter