Westjet YVR to MCO through YYC - Any updates?

FinnFogg

Mouseketeer
Our direct Vancouver to Orlando flights for our upcoming trip have been cancellled and we are now routed through Calgary (YVR-YYC- MCO). We only have 1hr & 33 min
to connect in Calgary. It feels tight to me as
we have to clear customs at YYC. Even moreso if we have to go through security again (not sure whether that is the case). Has anyone flown this route (especially recently) that can share their experiences re transferring from the YVR-YYC flight to the YYC-MCO flight?

Haven't done that particular connection but agree that it feels tight. Since you're clearing customs do you have to collect your bags in YYC or are they checked through? I'd look up your options on alternative routing.

That was my husband's flight in December (well from Abbotsford) but the same amount of time. It was tight as my daughter got pulled for extra screening. They did make it though, it was just a bit stressful. My flight was a few days later and we had lots of time because the Calgary-Florida flight was delayed.

Yes its fine - done it many times. Keep your first flight boarding pass handy as they have a shortcut for getting off domestic and going to USA - but need your pass!

We just called on this to get info as online info was lacking. Nice thing is checked luggage automatically gets transferred - you don’t need to collect and go through through US customs. Also confirmed that there is a 10 seater indoor electric bus type vehicle that can take you from arrival gate through a secure corridor to gate E for US departures. You can walk too if you wish. You do need to go through US customs at gate E area.

Our direct Vancouver to Orlando flights for our upcoming trip has been cancelled and we are now routed through Calgary (YVR-YYC- MCO). We only have 1hr & 33 min
to connect in Calgary. It feels tight to me as
we have to clear customs at YYC. Even more so if we have to go through security again (not sure whether that is the case). Has anyone flown this route (especially recently) that can share their experiences re transferring from the YVR-YYC flight to the YYC-MCO flight?
Just received the same email from Westjet stating that our direct flights are now one-stop through Calgary from YVR as well. It's nice to know there is a secure corridor to gate E for US departures PetePanMan. Thanks for sharing. Who do you recommend that we speak to about the e-bus transfer to US departures??

We'll try calling Westjet today to see if we can change our rescheduled flight YVR to YYC to MCO, to YXX (Abbotsford) to YYC to MCO because our original non-stop flight was scheduled to depart at a leisurely 9:00am, which allowed us to avoid having to get up in the wee hours for our drive to Vancouver from Abbotsford area, and now that the new connecting flight is scheduled for 6:00am, we would have to leave home about 2:30am. Ugh. We may also ask for a day or two later as we had booked 2 weeks and thinking 10-12 days will be more than enough.🤞 I'll let you know how it goes.

Our trip is planned for early July so if anyone travels before then, I'd love to hear about your travel experiences.

My daughter and I are supposed to do this on Monday morning. We leave Nanaimo at the horrible time of 5:50am, arrive at YYC at 8:30, and then leave for Orlando at 10:00. So we have 1 hour and 30 minutes to connect if flights are on time. I will let you know how it goes after we get home.
We have done the shortcut to US departures in both Vancouver and Toronto before but never Calgary. It always worked out well there and with time to spare, so I hope the same is true next week.

It's nice to know there is a secure corridor to gate E for US departures PetePanMan. Thanks for sharing. Who do you recommend that we speak to about the e-bus transfer to US departures??

from what I understand there are designated waiting areas and the “bus” runs regularly (I think I saw ever 10 mins but am not 100% on this). This will all be new to us as well

My sister just flew through YYC on WestJet. The 1 and a half hours might be enough time IF the flight from MCO leaves on time. Hers did not. It was an hour late leaving and she missed her connection, with only a half hour to go through customs and change gates (and the crew closing their doors early). She also said the YYC counter staff was rude to her at 1am after a long flight. She had to fight to get a taxi voucher and a hotel. Then, exhausted and frustrated, my sister was in no mood to be polite, so the agent actually came running after her in the terminal to say sarcastically, "you're welcome"... at 1am... after a very long flight and emotional upheaval... knowing she would miss work the next day. Really nice.

So... if you must take West Jet, be prepared for the flight being late. Otherwise, maybe look at other options.

Well…despite the info we received in advance, things did not play out as we had understood. Long story short, we somehow missed the secure corridor / 10 seater EV bus (no signs, no people around to ask). We ended up following signs for E gate (US) which ended up taking us right out. We had to do security again followed by US customs. All ended up fine with connection anyways so don’t sweat things too much if same thing happens to you(and pls update if you are successful with the secure corridor :) FYI …we did have NEXUS so this did help speed up going through US customs.

Well…despite the info we received in advance, things did not play out as we had understood. Long story short, we somehow missed the secure corridor / 10 seater EV bus (no signs, no people around to ask). We ended up following signs for E gate (US) which ended up taking us right out. We had to do security again followed by US customs. All ended up fine with connection anyways so don’t sweat things too much if same thing happens to you(and pls update if you are successful with the secure corridor :) FYI …we did have NEXUS so this did help speed up going through US customs.
Oh no! I’m glad it all worked out. If anyone else does have info on the secure corridor, please share!

My daughter and I are supposed to do this on Monday morning. We leave Nanaimo at the horrible time of 5:50am, arrive at YYC at 8:30, and then leave for Orlando at 10:00. So we have 1 hour and 30 minutes to connect if flights are on time. I will let you know how it goes after we get home.
We have done the shortcut to US departures in both Vancouver and Toronto before but never Calgary. It always worked out well there and with time to spare, so I hope the same is true next week.
How did things go?

Oh no! I’m glad it all worked out. If anyone else does have info on the secure corridor, please share!
I travel to the USA frequently (live in Calgary) and depart from the E gate. I have never seen a 10 seater EV bus or a Secure Corridor.
I have seen a separate line at Customs for connecting flights. Once through customs, you take an escalator upstairs, go through the duty free store and you have a 5 minute or less walk to arrive at the right gate. It's very straight forward. :)

Sitting at the gate to MCO right now at YYC. Flight arrived 8:20am. Very quick to path to E gate. Line manageable. We have nexus so faster into security. Then we had to scan boarding pass for mco to see if our luggage was cleared. Was not cleared. Waited 5 mins and luggage cleared. Then customs took 4 mins. Quick walk to gate E. Arrived at gate at 855am.

Here is link which matches to what we were told by westjet.

https://www.calgary-airport.com/transfer-between-terminals.php
We returned home to Vancouver through Calgary yesterday. Was eventful trip as there was a big thunder and lightning storm for hours in Orlando which resulted in many cancelled and delayed flights. Ours was delayed 3 hours so we missed our connecting flight to Van. This morning I was able to find (quite easily) the secure corridor and link EV bus to transport passengers between domestic and US/ International gates. This allows you to stay in secure area and not have to re-enter security screening. Not sure how we missed on way there (besides perhaps being half asleep given early flight). Here are some pics…we will know for next time :) 7D408CAB-7294-4510-8323-E1E644094AA7.jpeg3E3A2350-708D-4E4A-8B57-85376B0F7F7A.jpeg6A59E4B8-5CC9-4D89-B68D-1AB4E0658EAB.jpeg2F8CE1B0-26AD-4B66-B2E7-46716FCB1C80.jpeg

We returned home to Vancouver through Calgary yesterday. Was eventful trip as there was a big thunder and lightning storm for hours in Orlando which resulted in many cancelled and delayed flights. Ours was delayed 3 hours so we missed our connecting flight to Van. This morning I was able to find (quite easily) the secure corridor and link EV bus to transport passengers between domestic and US/ International gates. This allows you to stay in secure area and not have to re-enter security screening. Not sure how we missed on way there (besides perhaps being half asleep given early flight). Here are some pics…we will know for next time :)
So, you got off your plane, claimed your luggage, then went through (Canadian) customs, and then were able to stay in the secure area by finding the busses and the corridor?

Did you go down to the luggage and customs area first?

Last edited:
So, you got off your plane, claimed your luggage, then went through (Canadian) customs, and then were able to stay in the secure area by finding the busses and the corridor?

Did you go down to the luggage and customs area first?
Your luggage transfers in Calgary. Just keep eye out for the Connections signs and you will not have to leave the secure area. …I just returned from MCO via YYC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter