Westgate Lakes, Is it a good resort for a family of five?

RosieQ

Earning My Ears
I am thinking of staying there. Can anyone tell me about the rooms, pools ect. Thank you!

Hi RosieQ,

My DH and I visited this property on a time share tour back in 1998. It's a lovely place and would be a great place to stay with a family. Since it's a time share property they do have visitors touring the grounds throughout much of the day. The rooms are large and more like an apartment. They have fully stocked kitchens, living and dining areas, bedrooms, and a bath. We visited a one bedroom plan and it was gorgeous. It was huge and the furnishings were very upscale. The bathroom had a large jacuzzi tub for 2 in it. We really liked this place but were somewhat taken aback by how pushy they were to sell the time shares. I'm sure they won't try to sell to you and your family if you are staying on their property. We were on a tour that promised discounted tickets to WDW if we toured their property. They promised us that it would only take an hour and a half to two hours and it ended up taking four. That was discouraging to us. It's a beautiful place overall and very quiet. Hope this helps...

We took the tour of a different Westgate property, and they said there were no non-smoking rooms. I think that is not good for families or anybody!

Cheers :)

tink08.gif

at Westgate Lakes. 2 Bedroom 2 Bath. We have stayed there twice. They are beautiful condos. Very spacious and classy with everything you'll need. It's definitely a home away from home. We will be there again next year and cannot wait!

2/00-Offsite
2/01-Offsite (HIFS)
3/02-7 Day Disney Cruise!

We stayed at Westgate Lakes in January. Be careful where they assign you. We were in an older (they say 5 years old-it looked older) building with a playground and kids' pool right outside our door -first floor. This may be where you want to be. The 2 bedroom units were large and would be great for 5 people.

We only had a studio which looked nothing like the ones they show on the tour in a new section. It was small with no privacy for the whirlpool tub. There were no tables, not even end or coffee tables and the snackbar was too small. The sink and refrigerator were too small and overall everything was somewhat worn. We had no stove or washer/dryer. Make sure you bring your own shampoo etc and if you're driving, your own sheets and towels-they smelled and the sheets were way too small for the King bed. They did come 2 days before we left-5 days after we checked in- and changed the sheets-ever smaller than the first time and changed the towels after we had washed them in a public machine. They threw out the soap I had brought. I didn't think they would change anything so close to leaving.

We stayed at a cheaper rate as long as we did the presentation which also took us over 3 hours, not 90 minutes. They are very pushy but it was worth the discount price and free tickets if you know how to say no to a purchase. Maybe if they had put us in a better room, we might have considered it. It is a convienient location to Universal, Seaworld, and WDW as well as the new outlet malls and the shrine if you need to attend Mass. You're also closer to the airport than some places. However, you cannot walk anywhere-you are blocked by 4 for anything on International Drive so make sure you have a car.

You should enjoy it there if you are prepared to ask for an updated room, and say no to the presentation if you don't want to buy. With all the deals you learn about on these boards, why would anyone purchase here?

Westgate looks a rice resort and the majority of the reports have been good for it. It does seem if you can avoid the older properties gives the best chance of a great stay and if your tied into a timeshare sales presentation I think it likely you'll get the best of the properties they offer.

If it's value and size your looking at I would suggest you check out a vacaction villa rental as a possible alternative. Premier Vacation homes advertise on this site are one of the best companies in this genre and you can access their information at the top of this site under hotel discounts. If you want to take a look at a "real house" I'm an owner who rents out using them as an agent and some information on my own house is on http://www.wdwinfo.com/sites/vernon

The website says that they have wi-fi. Does anyone know if this is available in the rooms or just the lobby areas?

Also, is there a charge to use it?

Thank you!

Westgate Lakes is a great place, we stayed last July and the only negative was the parking. They have nice pools.

Would anyone know which buildings have been updated/renovated? (I am assuming any upgrades have been done on a building-by-building basis)

We are staying at this property in August for 7 nights, and I want to put in an advance request for a renovated room as we have a late arrival (probably no earlier than 9 pm to the resort).

The website says that they have wi-fi. Does anyone know if this is available in the rooms or just the lobby areas?

Thank you!

I was able to pull this off Expedia:

"•Resort fee: USD 9.95 per accommodation, per night

•Hotel resort fee inclusions:
•Internet access property-wide
•Phone calls (local)
•Use of fitness center
•Use of sporting facilities or equipment
•Use of in-room safe"

You can find the link here:

http://www.expedia.ca/Orlando-Hotel...versal-Studios-Area.h804984.Hotel-Information

Thank you!

The free Wi-Fi is available in-room, is for one device at a time, and is dirt slow. It may be shared by a group of rooms, I was unable to find the wireless router whilst poking around the room.

If you need multiple connections (which may be likely in a unit that can house 6) you have to pay extra. Not sure how much extra.

My wife has a Virgin Mobile Mi-Fi device and it was much, much faster than the provided wi-fi from Westgate...

If you have unlimited data and the ability to tether a cell phone, that may be a better choice.

I'm not a big Westgate Lakes fan now. I use to be - but it has really changed. For one, their rooms are old - very old. Unless you are lucky enough to get a newly remodeled room, you'll have a 1980's Golden Girl looking room. The last time we stayed there (in July 2010), we did have a newer unit- which was nice but small. I did see the 1 BR new unit - it was REALLY nice and VERY roomy. What drives me crazy about WG is the parking. It was horrible. Parking after 9pm is like a "treasure" hunt. To have one evening like this is one thing, but every evening is frustrating. I didn't do a timeshare there (we paid full price to avoid them), so I can't comment on the presentation during that visit. We have in the past and they are ALL awful. You need a clear 'NO' plan in order to get out of there in 2 hours. While we were there (in 2010) - on two separate nights, cars were broken into. That could've been just that visit, but it was concerning. I have declined to stay there again.

This thread is over 11 years old - talk about blast from the past.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter