We're here! Probably not a trip report

london75

DIS Veteran
Flew out yesterday on the VS073 from MAN at 14:05. I posted a couple of days ago saying seats had opened up but were not changeable, as a follow up they apparently had a glitch and online check in wasn't available so everyone was in line on the day. I know it's only one more minor thing for the quite substantial and ever increasing price, but the separate queue for PE is another reason I still like it despite the cost and cuts elsewhere. We waked straight past everybody and checked right in. I did feel a bit bad again!

Flight was good, very little turbulence and upstairs in the bump probably for the last time given the config changes coming. Because it was the jumbo the flight was an hour quicker (really hate the switch to A330) and only spoilt slightly but two late teens in front of DW and DD who whacked their seats back at high speed as soon as they were allowed and left them there. I really do think it shouldn't be allowed on a daytime flight. Or at least ask first!!

We land an hour early, weather out of the window looks good, get bags together, shoes on, kids ready, me loaded with all the hand luggage so DW can marshal the kids down the steps and the Captain announces immigration has had to close due to congestion, apparently the hall is so full, no-one can even disembark. We then sit on the plane for 40 more minutes boooo. Kids were brill though and at least the aircon was left on. Thank God for iThings as well.

So that set the tone for the rest of the evening, even when off, long queue for immigration, fortunately that meant cases where all ready and lined up but then a queue for customs snaking round the baggage hall which I've never seen in some 10 trips.

Queue for dropping luggage at second conveyor followed by no queue for the shuttle monorail thing strangely.

Short queue at the Dollar Desk but still took a long time and they insisted I buy a tank of fuel on a USRentaCar booking which doesn't normally happen but no big deal. They didn't try too hard to upsell but I am a 6'5" skin head (partly due to age rather than aggression but still) not so fresh from many hours travelling.

Out of the parking lot and onto those lovely US roads, I know I'm preaching to the converted here but I just love driving over here.

First time onsite for us and straight to Old Key West for a 2 bed villa. I'm a grumpy pants and hate noisy neighbours so to minimise that I asked for a top floor apartment which meant waiting and getting that sorted so we finally got to our lovely villa at about 9:30 pm! Manage to talk Daisy into staying in (I'd let slip stupidly that MK was open until 2am) while I got some emergency supplies from the the store and then gradually one by one fall asleep on the sofas.

MK today and lunch at the Royal Table, can't quite believe we're finally here.

Glad you're there..the Virgin checkin and customs hall will soon be forgotten.:)

By the way you don't have to drop your bags on the second carosel you can take them with you with on the monorail..cut out the middle man and it saves a bit of time.:thumbsup2

Looking forward to your next installment..

the Captain announces immigration has had to close due to congestion

exactly the reason why I always fly indirect and clear immigration and customs at a major hub rather than in MCO

Anyway, now you're there it will soon be forgotten

have a wonderful holiday

Hope you have a brilliant holiday :thumbsup2

Can't wait to be visiting the MK myself! Enjoy :goodvibes

Ali :goodvibes

Glad you made it eventually and welcome to OKW. We arrived 3 days ago, via New York and have never experienced such a problem free journey. Immigration at New York was ultra quick, a pleasant journey down to MCO with the same level of in flight entertainment as the transatlantic leg with United, and of course the MCO arrival was completely hassle free.

Our first visit to OKW, we are kids free so have a studio. We love the space we have - so much more than Beach Club (which we love). The one (minor) irritation has been the Disney transport route. Our studio is close to the Hospitality house (reception) near the entrance to the complex but the bus passes within yards of "home" to go right round the rest of the area with several stops before eventually arriving back at reception 10 mins later - frustrating when you are tired after a busy day and suffering jet lag at the end of the day but even worse when you go the the stop at reception early in the morning to take advantage of EMH only to see the bus sail by - full.
Gotta go.

woo hoo!!! a 2 bedroom villa at OKW!!! there's no going back now...that is THE best suite there is....
the laundry room is to die for - i want to take it home with me!!!!

40 minutes on the plane waiting for immigration to let you in??? :eek: :eek: :eek:
well maybe that was the one glitch for the holiday and all the rest will be magical!!!!!! :goodvibes

Love, love, love OKW :cool1: :cool1: the 2 bedroom suites are amazing!! I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful trip!! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

One of the reasons we don't mind indirect is immigration.
Its in USrentacars T&C's "Alamo and Dollar will charge you for a tank of fuel upon collection of your vehicle if the 'Fully Inclusive' option is taken."
Its something I always check, I don't want to get into an argument at the desk if I am wrong. My next rental is with Alamo (Holiday Autos) I have the choice to pay for a tank or return full.
Hope you enjoy the 2 bed villa, had a look in one but never stayed in one.

Our first visit to OKW, we are kids free so have a studio. We love the space we have - so much more than Beach Club (which we love). The one (minor) irritation has been the Disney transport route. Our studio is close to the Hospitality house (reception) near the entrance to the complex but the bus passes within yards of "home" to go right round the rest of the area with several stops before eventually arriving back at reception 10 mins later - frustrating when you are tired after a busy day and suffering jet lag at the end of the day but even worse when you go the the stop at reception early in the morning to take advantage of EMH only to see the bus sail by - full.
Gotta go.

We like to stay on Miller's Rd, great when you leave on a morning, last to be collected and on your way to the parks in minutes but returning you go around the resort, its just something you have to accept or get off at first stop and walk back. Unless you get on an empty bus late at night, they will sometimes take you straight to your stop.

Phew - you're there... a few frustrations but now you can relax and yayyyy for OKW I love this resort and cannot wait to stay there soon - good call on the top floor - hope I get as lucky come the end of August :)

WOW ! in all our trips I've never experienced that kind of immigration delay. As technically we're going out of high season i.e not in school holidays I hope that getting through immigration will be easier for us.

We picked up on the "not dropping our bags for the monorail" trick on our last visit and will be doing that again. There have been trips when we've waited 15 mins for our bags at the 2nd collection.

As PP have said by the end of today all those minor glitches will be a distant memory and you will be full of Disney magic. I hope you enjoy your holiday and have a wonderful time :goodvibes

Agree that the 2 bed is ace, we're back from a long morning at MK after the kids got up at 4:30, off for a swim soon as it's been very hot today with no showers in sight. I really thought MK was going to be heaving but it was walk on for all the kids rides all morning including Peter Pan which seems crazy for the beginning of US holiday season. Most sites rate it as a 9 or 10 out of 10 for crowds but I'd have it down as 4 unless it gets busier later in the day.

We knew about and have used bags on monorail trick but don't underestimate how exhausting all the queuing is when it's that busy. We got to the bag drop and thought sod it let someone else carry the bags lol.

I'd say despite the mayhem in the immigration hall, no more than 60% of desks were manned, I suppose they might have been taken by surprise but suspect this is also due to cutbacks similar to at home so be warned it might be an ongoing saga. We are flying indirect in October as a test but the kids are still young, it probably gets easier as they get older.

Back to MK, double dumbo was brill and the play area looked good but although there were kids on we got caught up in a mass of spaniards and couldn't get down the route to test it out. We'll be there again in the week so will try for some photos. The splash zone looked good too and even I wanted to get soaking but didn't have a change of clothes and we were due at CRT for lunch so again, will try in the week. It was just really nice to be back, Daisy (DD6) summed it up saying our home is Florida and we just go on a boring 11 month 2 week holiday to Manchester each year. Hopefully if the Canada job comes off we'll be here more often and only a 2:45 flight!

Downtown Disney tonight to go to the Lego store and stock up for the Mrs, I mean the kids!

How is the internet connection? a few have said its not good recently. Have you done a speed test?

We loved OKW last year. This year we are treating ourselves to a 1 bedroom.

Glad to hear you are having a good time so far. Immigration problems at MCO is another reason we are glad we do indirect. It was so good to get off the flight and just go and get your bags and out. No ques to wait in and it was 1 hour and 1/2 from landing to checking in at OKW.

WOW ! in all our trips I've never experienced that kind of immigration delay. :goodvibes

Same here...we have only once taken over an hour at MCO..going indirect for us would def not save time. I think it just seems a long time when you are stuck in a queue. They have always had all the desks open when we have been there and the line is always moving. Its never been an issue. Las Vegas was another matter totally:scared1:

How is the internet connection? a few have said its not good recently. Have you done a speed test?

It's ok, not bothered with a speed test but ran a little netflix earlier, bandwidth results you just can't fake, and it was ok streaming SD without going blocky or choppy. Might find a test later but I'm on the Mac and most tests are flash or java neither of which I run. Sometimes I have to disable then re-enable the wifi to then pick up and connect, I think the 2 stage connection with accepting their terms and conditions each time plays havoc with the Mac OS. Shiny and flashy and long life it is but friendly with anything not made by Apple it isn't!

My AT&T Sim also worked a treat although I had to go for $25 for the month rental and $25 for 1GB data as suggested by someone recently and unlike the olden days. I used 15 zeroes as IMEI as I've mentioned before due to iPhones being blocked and was up and running in 5 mins. £30 for 1GB and some calls and text isn't too bad in my book especially as it's for work purposes on the most part. PIN was from PINZOO which didn't work through the web portal as 1 character too long but did work when I used the special dial sequence they also give so no probe there.

The TVs have at least 2 free HDMI as the TV actually comes through a weird network -> DVI -> VGA cable by the looks of it, it was a bit cramped but that seemed to be the connectors used, looks like the TVs are hacked onto whatever the old system used to use rather than a full refit. We've got an android tablet plugged in to play films which works a treat. Every where I look there are little boxes with flashing LEDs and ethernet ports, very weird. The lock on the cupboard under the master bath is broken and the door fell open earlier, there is even a powered hub of some sort with cables running off here and there in the bathroom. Assume it's a safety thing like alarms etc. Would love to get my hands on a contract like that and really put in a super whizzy system. If we'd had pay per view or a streaming service we would have paid more just to keep the kids quiet.

Downtown Disney was absolutely heaving tonight, took 20 minutes to park. The only reason I didn't just go somewhere else for dinner was I had no cards and little cash as we were heading for a DTD quick service on the DDP. went to Wolfgang Puck Express as Daisy loves Macaroni cheese but only Disney style and we took a punt on WPE being similar. It was of course nicer and she enjoyed it, phew, as they both ate very little all day due to a combination of tiredness and heat. By the time we left at 8:30 there wasn't a space left and everyone entering the car park had to tail a person leaving to get a space.

This is a very different trip to those we've had in May, September and August but strangely not how I thought as the park itself was quiet, it's just been everywhere else that was busy.

Epcot and Teppan Edo tomorrow. Loads of Kidcot and a cheeky champers in France.

Working really well for us on our MacbookPro. :thumbsup2 When you boot up a screen pops up asking you to accept the terms and conditions. Click 'I Agree" and a new Old Key West window opens briefly with a 'loading' icon. This disappears in seconds and you're good to go. Pages loading very quickly. Uploaded some photos to Facebook in no time at all.

Mrs TT

We loved OKW last year. This year we are treating ourselves to a 1 bedroom.

Glad to hear you are having a good time so far. Immigration problems at MCO is another reason we are glad we do indirect. It was so good to get off the flight and just go and get your bags and out. No ques to wait in and it was 1 hour and 1/2 from landing to checking in at OKW.

I think we landed at 5:30 and were sat on the sofa in the villa by 9:00 so 3.5 hours!

Not all immigration though, just lots of cumulative delays.

Working really well for us on our MacbookPro. :thumbsup2 When you boot up a screen pops up asking you to accept the terms and conditions. Click 'I Agree" and a new Old Key West window opens briefly with a 'loading' icon. This disappears in seconds and you're good to go. Pages loading very quickly. Uploaded some photos to Facebook in no time at all.

Mrs TT

To be honest it seems to be when resuming from sleep, I do have some custom network settings for various reasons but it struggles getting back on and the iPhone only has a clickable button at the page end 50% of the time which also requires an "off and on again" approach.

Maybe just poor signal here meaning the page doesn't always finish loading the script it runs, don't know.

..... went to Wolfgang Puck Express as Daisy loves Macaroni cheese but only Disney style and we took a punt on WPE being similar. It was of course nicer .....

We had lunch today ay Wolfgang Puck Express. Must be one of the best value counter service meal deals available on the dining plan. We had meatloaf wrapped with bacon on a bed of mashed potato covered in crispy onion rings followed by frozen yoghurt with chic chips and with refillable drinks - all in all about $23 each value - very little difference in cost to our CP character breakfast on Thursday morning. Certainly if anyone knows of better value meals then I'd like to hear it ... please. :thumbsup2

Glad to hear better reviews of the net, I am not bothered about watching movies, its only to be on DIS and upload photos. Karen and Matt use it more than me so will see how we go. After the bad reviews I have been looking into buying a SIM with unlimited data for 30 days but no reponse from the seller when I asked questions, I expect it to be so much data at a fast speed then drop to slower speed unlimited but sent message Monday with no reply so not buying it.

WPE takes the award for best value IMO, the meatloaf sounds great, not tried that. 2 weeks and I might just try it.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter