• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We're back

Caskbill

<font color="blue">DVC-Operations<br>DVC-Planning<
Hi everyone. Just wanted to say it's great to get back onto the boards again. We've been out of town............

Just completed a 10 week vacation, most of it in the WDW area. (11 nights Ft. Wilderness, 10 nights 1-BR BWV's, 30 nights off site RV resort). Wow, what a trip. And we still didn't see everything!

Now I have to wait another 2-whole months until our next trip at the end of December. (OKW). <i> (Am I getting any sympathy here....lol)</i>

It's great to finally be retired.

If you've ever questioned the 'value' of DVC, and you're over 25, then you too will probably retire before 2042. When time is no longer an issue, and multiple trips are possible, DVC will take on even greater value. Don't forget to consider those add-on's, you're going to need them some day. (I wish I had done more of them).

P.S....Hello again to all you DISers we met at the DIS meet at BWV's.

Welcome back and glad to hear you had a wonderful time. I do feel sorry that you must wait only 2 months before your next trip!!!!

Welcome back!

10 weeks! Wow! Think I'll try that sometime - like starting in January when I retire too!

hi: no sympathy from me-only a little jealously LOL. wow! i'm impressed. it sounds absolutely wonderful. i wanted to thank you again for the dvc planner; it's great.

You just gave me a great idea. I plan on purchasing enough points when BCV start selling to stay 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom. I think I figured on about 500 - 550 points. I have 2 young childern and I was kind of worried what I would do with all those points 15 years from now when the kids stop going with us and we only need a 1 bedroom. Problem solved. I won't be too far from retirement at that point and I can just stay longer in a 1 bedroom.

Hi Caskbill,

Welcome back from your extended vacation. It was great to meet you at the Aug BWV meet (it seems so long ago!). After your great tips on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It I finally made it to the hot seat! It was alot of fun. I made it to the 250,000 question but got it wrong :( . Oh well, there's always next summer!!

Odd to be saying, "welcome back" Instead of "Welcome Home"!

You are doing what we dream of. Our dream is to have enough points when we retire to spend a couple of months at OKW!:D Of course, it wont happen, but I can dream can't I?:p DH retires in 4 years and we only have 380 points, so I KNOW it wont happen!:(

You're killing me Caskbill!

I'm not sure how much time you spent at WDW over this time period but I'm curious whether you noticed dramatic differences over this time period?

why would you want to come back to Indiana just when the weather is getting cold! Just kidding!;) I am also hoping that when my DH retires (about 20 years to go) that we can take extended trips like these too. I'm happy for you.

You should have stayed a little longer and qualified for FL resident status, LOL.

Hi Bill!! Welcome Back!! Glad that you had a great trip!! It was nice meeting you (and everyone else) in August !!

Thanks everyone. This has been the longest 'vacation' we've every had, but it's great to no longer have time constraints.

Now if only there were no money constraints also. (Oooh...2000 DVC points....wouldn't that be nice....

Oh well, can't have everything.

Suzy, wow, congrats on the Millionaire. I think a lot of people have figured out the 'secret' as it's getting tougher to make it to the hot seat. I did make it back again, but again messed up on the 16,000 point question. Peg made it up also but missed at 16,000 too. I'm jealous you got the 32,000 shirt. I want to get one so bad.....lol. Anyway, we're both eligible to try again when we're back down there again for New Years.

Pam, we spent a LOT of time at the various parks. We really got good use out of our AP's. There were quite a few noticeable changes over the time we were there, but probably not typical. First the crowds on the weekends were much heavier than I expected, but the weekdays stayed light. On Sept 11 and 12th it was surreal. Nobody was in any mood to celebrate or have fun at all. From BWV's, we walked around, talking to others, hearing their stories, meeting people who had relatives or friends in the New York area. After a few days, I think the mood was that we as Americans weren't going to let terrorists change our way of life. When the parks opened again, people were more quiet, and the crowds were quite low. They picked up more as October began.

As for park changes, of course the 100 years of magic kicked off. We saw all the new parades, and of course they've added the kiosks at each park to take the quizzes. The hat at MGM opened, and Walt's story also opened there.

Mary, brrrrrr. It's cold back here. Guess that's why we need to go back soon!

Dean, I wish that's all it took. (lol)
Now with the 100 day bonus add on they put on Florida resident annual passes (465 days), they're really getting a good deal. I wish we could get more stuff like that. Now let me see, Florida is warm, Disney is right there, and it's cheaper for Florida residents, and the state would have no income tax on my pension check......Looks like it's really time to move. (Actually that is our plan, we've been looking at property there)

Ripleysmon, thanks for organizing the meet. It was fun.

Bill, FL doesn't have an income tax but does have an intangeable tax. That means they tax your savings EVERY year on the full amount.

Bill & Peg - Welcome Back!! It was so good to meet you that evening at BWVs. It sounds like you had a terrific vacation - isn't retirement wonderful?! Good luck on the property hunting - Joe and I found a house in Clermont, put a deposit, signed a contract of sale, came home to find my mom having colon cancer and getting operated on. It's been a very hectic pace since we got back, and I can't wait to go"home" once more. Again, it was great meeting you and all the other DISers.

SJCSuzy - Congratulations on getting to the Hot Seat. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation. We tried millionaire, but didn't get to the HS, although Joe was #4 on the board.

ripleysmom - yes, Kimberly, thanks for organizing the meet! We must do it again! Hi to Wayne & kids - hope you got to eat some cheesecake!:earsgirl: :wave:

No problem and thanks again for getting together the names and making the ID tags Gail!!

We definitely have to do it again.....

And don't worry....Pumpkin Cheesecake here I come!!

Bill and Peg,

Glad to hear about your wonderful trip. We will be glad when we are retired completely(retired and working part-time again) so we can do the long trips. It was so good to talk with you and Peg in May at OKW. We are going back the first week of Dec. and cannot wait!! Keep us posted!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter