We're back & better than ever - Complete!

I just changed Raglan Road for HBD. Both DH and DS agreed so I did it. It's an addicition I tell ya! What am I going to do when there is nothing else that I can change! :laughing:
When there's nothing else you can change, just change everything back to how you originally had it...and then change it all again. The time will fly by :lmao:

Hopefully the online menus will be frequently updated over the summer - that way, if a make-or-break dish is removed, you'll have time to rearrange your plans. :)

When there's nothing else you can change, just change everything back to how you originally had it...and then change it all again. The time will fly by :lmao:

Hopefully the online menus will be frequently updated over the summer - that way, if a make-or-break dish is removed, you'll have time to rearrange your plans. :)

I don't know that there are any make or break dishes for me. Sure, there are favorites that I am looking forward to but if they are removed from the menu I am sure there is something I will like just as well. We only go once a year so I tend to lean towards restaurants rather than specific dishes.

I think I have probably already on the 2nd or 3rd complete change! First I wanted to try mostly new restaurants and Signatures. Then I wanted to go back to old favorites. Then I wanted more breakfasts. Now I think I have a good mix of all of the above. Cali Grille, Jiko, Artist Point and the Yachtsman are the only signatures we will hit for dinner with HBD now added for lunch. As I type this, I am ok with that. Who knows how I will feel next week! ;)

I don't know that there are any make or break dishes for me. Sure, there are favorites that I am looking forward to but if they are removed from the menu I am sure there is something I will like just as well. We only go once a year so I tend to lean towards restaurants rather than specific dishes.

I think I have probably already on the 2nd or 3rd complete change! First I wanted to try mostly new restaurants and Signatures. Then I wanted to go back to old favorites. Then I wanted more breakfasts. Now I think I have a good mix of all of the above. Cali Grille, Jiko, Artist Point and the Yachtsman are the only signatures we will hit for dinner with HBD now added for lunch. As I type this, I am ok with that. Who knows how I will feel next week! ;)
That definitely sounds like a solid plan. Artist Point and Yachtsman would be my two strongest recommendations of any WDW restaurant, Jiko's and California Grill's current menus (on the official WDW site) look great, and I loved Brown Derby this trip. Plus, it's always nice trying new places (even if that means skipping an old favorite). :)

For dinner, we decided to try Il Mulino for the first time. From what I've read on this site, Il Mulino is one of the most hyped restaurants in WDW. The hype isn't as overt as it is for places like Le Cellier (which, at this point in time, I'd say is more "polarizing" than purely hyped), Kona Cafe, or Citricos. Rather, when people ask "where is the best Italian food at WDW?", Il Mulino is almost always the top choice. It's not really in the limelight (primarily because it doesn't accept the DDP), but it has very few detractors (I can only think of one person on this site who says they were let down at Il Mulino).

As a result, we went to Il Mulino with high expectations.

The first thing we received was eggplant caponata and some cacciatorini (salami). This is complementary for everyone at Il Mulino. The caponata had a pleasant garlicky taste, and I enjoyed the saltiness of the salami.

IMG_3079.jpg

You also receive a bread basket at Il Mulino - this basket included focaccia, and it's always nice to receive something beyond the typical white bread or sourdough.

IMG_3080.jpg

We decided to split five appetizers and a side instead of ordering an entree, since we thought the appetizers sounded more interesting. Our waitress offered to split up every dish table-side for us, which I thought was a nice, casual touch that was very fitting for a restaurant that calls itself a "trattoria" (but it means some of my pics don't show the dishes as they were originally presented - I couldn't take pics of all of them quickly enough).

Our first "wave" of food included all the cold appetizers. Here's the carpaccio di tonno - thinly shaved, center-cut tuna, served with arugula, extra virgin olive oil, and fresh lemon juice. This was one of my favorites of the night, as I really enjoyed the tuna with briny capers and lemon juice. I just wish there had been more of the capers and lemon, as the tuna and greens were kind of bland.

IMG_3081.jpg

Next up is the insalata trattoria - seasonal greens with fennel, carrots, red onion and toasted pine nuts with a citrus vinaigrette (shown on the side). The greens, onions, and carrots felt very basic, but I enjoyed the crunchy pine nuts and fennel (I wish there had been more of these ingredients). The dressing tasted more like oil than citrus to me, so we didn't use much of it. For $11, this salad was pretty uninteresting.

IMG_3082.jpg

Next up is the prosciutto and melone - aged prosciutto with seasonal melon. This is the first dish where the split-plate factor comes into effect - it originally had twice as much fruit on the plate (my mom had half of the fruit but none of the prosciutto). The prosciutto was salty, rich, and intense as expected - what I liked about this dish was that it came with a variety of fruits. I've seen prosciutto with cantaloupe quite often before, but it was nice to try it with some fresh berries (which added more of a tartness to the combination).

IMG_3084.jpg

Here's the next wave of food (I wasn't able to capture any dish in its original presentation, but these dishes had a more basic, comfort-food presentation anyway). On the left is half of the gamberi con fagioli - sautéed jumbo shrimp over cannellini beans and pancetta. On the right is the polpette al forno - Italian meatballs with tomato basil sauce and parmesan cheese.

IMG_3085.jpg

And here's the spinaci aglio e olio - spinach in garlic and olive oil.

IMG_3090.jpg

Of this wave, my favorite dish was the shrimp - it was lightly breaded and very tasty with the pancetta and somewhat creamy cannellini beans. The meatballs were basic meatballs with a flavorful tomato sauce, but mine were just slightly dry on the inside. They were good, but not the best meatballs I've ever had, and $12 for 3 good (but not great) meatballs is a bit much (at least at Artist Point or Yachtsman, when we pay $10-15 for an appetizer, they usually serve us a creative or interesting plate of food). The spinach was basic, but it was my mom's favorite dish of the night (mainly because nothing really impressed her).

Between the first two waves of food, everything was fine, but no dish created a "wow" moment or seemed especially memorable. Perhaps dessert would change that - we decided to split the trio of sorbets - melon, pineapple, and pomegranate.

IMG_3092.jpg

Of the three, I thought the melon was the best and most closely tasted like its respective fruit. The pineapple sorbet was also good, but the pomegranate sorbet tasted somewhat artificial to me.

My mom also enjoyed a cappuccino at the end of the meal. She was offered a complementary glass of limoncello, but she doesn't like to drink (and I'm not old enough) so she said no.

IMG_3091.jpg

So that's our experience at Il Mulino. The food was fine - it all tasted good (except the pomegranate sorbet IMO), but nothing struck me as very creative or exciting. In fact, I felt like I could've made a lot of this food at home, which isn't a feeling I like to get at an upscale restaurant. I can honestly say I think the food at Tutto Gusto is more interesting and just as good (if not higher) in quality - the seafood salad was more exciting to me than anything I see on Il Mulino's menu.

This was our second time being slightly disappointed at a Swan/Dolphin restaurant (the other one we've been to is bluezoo, where we had oversalted chicken and an underwhelming fish entree). Of the two restaurants, I prefer bluezoo (where at least the appetizer and dessert courses were innovative). Like bluezoo, I'd be willing to give Il Mulino another chance eventually. That said, I can now say I firmly disagree with the people who rank the Swan & Dolphin restaurants above all the signatures on the DDP. For me, plenty of restaurants (Artist Point, Yachtsman, Flying Fish, Jiko, Citricos) rank higher than bluezoo, while even more restaurants (Hollywood Brown Derby, California Grill, Bistro de Paris, Tutto Gusto, etc) rank higher than Il Mulino.

After posting my review of Il Mulino, I saw you had also just posted one for Il Mulino. I will admit that I had a bit of a panic attack, as I enjoy reading your reviews and have come to rely on and respect your opinions. I was so afraid that you, like many others here, had loved your meal at Il Mulino. So you can imagine my relief when I found that our opinions of Il Mulino are pretty much the same. :thumbsup2

After posting my review of Il Mulino, I saw you had also just posted one for Il Mulino. I will admit that I had a bit of a panic attack, as I enjoy reading your reviews and have come to rely on and respect your opinions. I was so afraid that you, like many others here, had loved your meal at Il Mulino. So you can imagine my relief when I found that our opinions of Il Mulino are pretty much the same. :thumbsup2
I'm very happy to hear that I'm not alone either! I'm still happy that we tried it, and we definitely got a nice variety of food by splitting some appetizers. But there wasn't anything that I would love to eat again (like Artist Point's salmon or berry cobbler, Yachtsman's halibut, Brown Derby's duck duo, etc).

Can't wait to read your review of bluezoo - I feel like we could have loved it if the entree round had unfolded differently. :goodvibes

Ha, that's funny Jabead... two Il Mulino reviews that I read in the span of 10 minutes! Wow! Ok, I still think the food looks good. I could sure go for that shrimp and bean dish. :thumbsup2

At least the reviews here are consistent! :laughing:

Ha, that's funny Jabead... two Il Mulino reviews that I read in the span of 10 minutes! Wow! Ok, I still think the food looks good. I could sure go for that shrimp and bean dish. :thumbsup2

At least the reviews here are consistent! :laughing:
It's such interesting timing that two lukewarm Il Mulino reviews happened at the same time, even though Il Mulino is almost never reviewed around here (and whenever people mention it, it receives consistent praise). It makes me wonder if the food has somehow changed.

The shrimp and bean dish was tasty - not a highlight of the trip, but good. :thumbsup2

We had a very nice meal at Il Mulino Christmas Day 2009 but I can't say that it was my favorite WDW meal or that I will rush to go back. I did have an excellent buffalo short rib special that I would love to have again but it isn't a regular menu item. I do like the idea of maybe going and just having a bunch of appetizers though.

Funny, I'm planning a trip to Yatchsman's just because of the reviews on this thread (no pressure! :thumbsup2) But a positive Il Mulino review could have sunk it for me. We also thought it was EXTREMELY overrated. While not terrible, we've had MUCH better meals at Tutto Italia, like not even close. We thought maybe we went on a "bad day", but it sounds like that's not the case.

My mom also enjoyed a cappuccino at the end of the meal. She was offered a complementary glass of limoncello, but she doesn't like to drink (and I'm not old enough) so she said no.

I have to admit it completely shocked me that you're not old enough to drink! :confused3

You are so incredibly articulate in your reviews I'd never think you were under 21!

Wonderful reviews! I am enjoying reading about your dining experiences. You are doing a fantastic job. Thank you!

I have to admit it completely shocked me that you're not old enough to drink! :confused3

You are so incredibly articulate in your reviews I'd never think you were under 21!

DITTO! I just reread your Il Mulino review and the second time around I caught the fact that you weren't old enough to drink. After closing my jaw that had dropped to the floor :lmao:, I was about to post a similar comment when I noticed that deenbrad had beat me to it. I too am amazed by the knowledge and expertise that you show in your reviews, even more so now that I know how young you are. Your reviews are a far cry from the one word answers that I get from my teenage son when I ask him about his food. And my daughter, who is 19 so probably about your age, isn't much better. :laughing: So anyway, just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your reviews. Keep up the great work!

Wait!...Donald Dole Whip...you are not even 21 yet? I too have my jaw on the floor! I always read your reviews and am amazed at your palate, experiences and wisdom. I hold your reviews in high regard...not that being young has anything to do with it...it's just the level of sophistocation you write with is amazing. Your photos and style of writing are wonderful!
If I were to fortune tell your future, you would be an amazing food critic/writer/photographer!

We had a very nice meal at Il Mulino Christmas Day 2009 but I can't say that it was my favorite WDW meal or that I will rush to go back. I did have an excellent buffalo short rib special that I would love to have again but it isn't a regular menu item. I do like the idea of maybe going and just having a bunch of appetizers though.
The buffalo short rib sounds like an interesting dish - I would've certainly been willing to try that if it were on the menu. And I definitely think ordering a bunch of appetizers would be a great strategy. You get to try a wide variety of items, and it doesn't cost as much (since at many of these places, you can get 2-3 appetizers for the price of 1 entree). :thumbsup2

Funny, I'm planning a trip to Yatchsman's just because of the reviews on this thread (no pressure! :thumbsup2) But a positive Il Mulino review could have sunk it for me. We also thought it was EXTREMELY overrated. While not terrible, we've had MUCH better meals at Tutto Italia, like not even close. We thought maybe we went on a "bad day", but it sounds like that's not the case.
I really hope you like Yachtsman! And I'm sorry to hear that Il Mulino didn't impress you too much (but happy to hear that there are a few of us who feel that way). The overall experience at Il Mulino seems to be positive (modern but rustic decor, good service, some nice complementary food and booze), even though the food didn't particularly inspire me.

I also booked garden view at yacht club, what room # was that , great view.
Our room was 2151 - hopefully you'll get something with a side view of the lake. :)

Thanks for the complement! I really love food, and while I could happily enjoy a hamburger or hot dog, there's just something exciting about trying creative dishes and uncommon flavor combinations. It comes from years of watching Top Chef (as well as being lucky enough to eat at some very nice restaurants). The downside to being under 21 is that my reviews can't discuss any of the beautiful cocktails and drinks at WDW, but that'll change in a year. In the meanwhile, I'm glad that you're enjoying the reviews. :goodvibes

Wonderful reviews! I am enjoying reading about your dining experiences. You are doing a fantastic job. Thank you!
Thanks so much for reading - I'm very happy that you're enjoying the reviews. :thumbsup2

DITTO! I just reread your Il Mulino review and the second time around I caught the fact that you weren't old enough to drink. After closing my jaw that had dropped to the floor :lmao:, I was about to post a similar comment when I noticed that deenbrad had beat me to it. I too am amazed by the knowledge and expertise that you show in your reviews, even more so now that I know how young you are. Your reviews are a far cry from the one word answers that I get from my teenage son when I ask him about his food. And my daughter, who is 19 so probably about your age, isn't much better. :laughing: So anyway, just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your reviews. Keep up the great work!
Thanks so much for the kind words! I would definitely agree that I'm not the same as my friends (whose ages primarily range from 19-20) when it comes to food. When we've gone out to restaurants together, I usually curtail my comments to "that was really good" or "I love the spices in that dish", since I don't want to sound annoying (in a food report, describing the food is part of the fun IMO, but I'll keep quiet when I know the people around me aren't interested). :laughing: Trying to become a 'foodie' is something that I really enjoy, so I'm constantly trying to learn more about food (and WDW provides a surprisingly good lens through which to do that - I never would've learnt what a Nanaimo bar was if I hadn't seen it on Le Cellier's menu, and Artist Point introduced me to the wonders of Pacific Northwest cuisine, which I'd love to experience in Seattle or Vancouver someday).

Wait!...Donald Dole Whip...you are not even 21 yet? I too have my jaw on the floor! I always read your reviews and am amazed at your palate, experiences and wisdom. I hold your reviews in high regard...not that being young has anything to do with it...it's just the level of sophistocation you write with is amazing. Your photos and style of writing are wonderful!
If I were to fortune tell your future, you would be an amazing food critic/writer/photographer!
Thank you for the wonderful compliments! Honestly, I think it would be awesome to be a food critic, writer, or photographer. If I could get a job doing that, I'd definitely consider it. But even if it's not my job (which it probably won't be), it'll certainly remain a strong interest of mine. :cloud9: I'm glad that you enjoy my writing style and photos. :)

The first meal on our departure day was a breakfast at Captain's Grille. We love eating here because it's much more relaxed than other WDW restaurants, and the breakfast menu offers some great choices (the menu features à la carte options and a buffet with plenty of variety). We both went with the buffet, and I only took pics of my food.

IMG_2990.jpg

Most of the items on this first plate are self-explanatory. After skipping the Mickey waffles last time, I decided I had to try one. It was surprisingly light and fluffy, which I enjoyed (I was expecting something hard and crunchy), and I topped it with whipped cream and chocolate drizzle (blueberry compote is on the side). The fruit and the hard-boiled egg were both fresh. The tomato in the center is topped with a creamy parmesan topping - the cheese was rich, but I still enjoyed it with the tomato (which had a hearty flavor from being cooked). On the bottom of the plate is breakfast bread pudding - it tasted just like French toast to me, but the texture was soft and somewhat gooey (making it extra indulgent). On the left is an egg white dish with spinach and tomato (I like that the buffet included an egg white option), and turkey sausage. I love turkey sausage more than regular sausage, and this particular turkey sausage didn't have that overly spiced flavor that breakfast sausage can sometimes have.

IMG_2991.jpg

Plate #2 features many of the same items, but I also got some smoked salmon with accompaniments (capers, onions, chopped egg, and a lemon wedge) and traditional scrambled eggs. The eggs were good - they were fluffy, and they weren't too moist or too dry (which can occasionally be issues with buffet eggs), and the salmon was fine, but I particularly enjoyed it with the capers.

Overall, Captain's Grille once again delivered a solid buffet breakfast for both of us. Whenever we're staying at Yacht or Beach Club, I'm sure that we'll continue to stop here for breakfast. :thumbsup2

Wow! The cheesy tomato and breakfast bread pudding look delicious! This is the second review I have seen on here lately for the Captain's Grille breakfast buffet and now I'm totally sold. This is going to be a must on my next trip. Thanks for the pics!

I admit when I read you were under 21 my first thought was I'm old enough to be your mother (plus some) and then I was quite impressed that your palate is so sophisticated. :thumbsup2 You have an awesome perspective for someone so young. :goodvibes

As for Captain's Grille, your plate of food looks awesome! We went there in Feb and I ate breakfast off of the menu and not the buffet since I wasn't that hungry. I'm excited to go back in August! Thanks for continuing to share!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter