"We're armed with forks!" 11/21-29...8 days of food & a cake too...UPD 11/9!

NuttyDisneyMom

Born and raised in WDW for 23 years:) Now we visi
Hi everyone!:wave:

I'm starting early as I'm just so excited!!!! But who isn't excited about going to the greatest place on earth??? I also have a PTR going. It has everything I've been buying for our trip. I think I should take out stock in Disney online! If you want to take a look at it too, the link is in my siggy below.

I hope you all will join me as I write my first dining review of our trip November 21-29. We have 8 days of dining to explore and cannot wait:hyper: We are on the basic DDP this trip, but will also be paying a few meals OOP. I have also ordered a custom cake, which I'll explain further in, and will be reviewing that entire experience as well. So let me get started by introducing the participants for this trip....

Me, NuttyDisneyMom:maleficen - I was born and raised an hour west of Mickey. I consider myself a WDW Native. I have been to Disney more times than I can count, at least for the first 23 years of my life when I lived in FL. I have only been back 4 times in the last 10 years, but have DH convinced we need to go down 2 times a year now. That was easy...he loves the FOOD! I love food, all kinds of food, especially new foods I haven't tried before. The only thing I will not eat and cannot stand are NUTS, any kind of nuts. They absoutely make me gag, even talking about them:sick: It's my weird food fear, I guess:laughing: I must say, we have not been to many WDW restaurants the last 4 times, because each time someone gets sick and we have to cancel our ressies. This time tho...IT'S NOT HAPPENING! I've been beefing up the kids with vitamins already:lmao:

DM, aka Nana :moped:- The woman who raised me to love WDW:lovestruc She has only been to DHS and MK. So this trip is going to be so new and exciting for her. She hasn't been since 2007. She has a bad hip and will be scootin' around the World this trip. We found a GREAT scooter place, thank goodness, and she's really rarin' to go! I'm tellin' ya...if you're there when we are...watch your toes if you see her! She'll have the BIG lime green Mickey head on the back of her scooter too...you won't be able to miss her. She is also diabetic, and a cheating one at that!!! But I've got her number and have told all the restaurants this in advance so that the chef(s) will speak to her prior to her ordering her meals. She really is trying to be better about it since she's started to have kidney problems:guilty: She love ALL food, like mother like daughter:cutie:, except for cantaloupe!!! That's her food fear.

DS18, aka Charming :hmghost: - My baby boy who freely admits he's a mama's boy. I adore my son, (I adore all my angels, but he's my only son...you mom's know how that goes) he is the best son I could ever have asked for!:love: He's a huge help when Dad is away for months and months on business trips. So he deserves to go to WDW and pick some of the places we eat at. The boy eats anything and everything, and he does this ALL the time. He is 6'2" and only 140 pounds! I pray every night for just a drop of his metabolsim:rotfl: His favorite foods are steak, BBQ, CHOCOLATE, salmon, DESSERT, peanut butter, and Italian food (I'm half Italian and cook it from scratch often, so you'd expect nothing less right?:laughing:). The only thing he's not crazy about is shellfish. He is in his senior year of high school and can't wait to flirt with the princesses at WDW. Hence the aka of Charming!:rotfl2:

DS14, aka Alice :simba: - Oh, my middle child who is definitely in the full-blown teeange girl years. I love her to pieces, but I must say...she is the child your mother always warns you about when you were a teenager saying "You'll have one just like you! Just wait and see!". Well, I did:lmao: She's the most kind hearted child on the face of the earth, but boy can she push some buttons. Don't all teenage girls do this tho???:rolleyes1 She adores WDW and everything about it! Loves food and is adventurous in what she is willing to try. (Get's if from her momma) Favorite foods are, desserts and I mean ALL desserts, pastas, breads, cheeses, chicken, and breakfast! The only thing she won't eat is...well...nothing! We are celebrating her 15th birthday while we're in WDW this trip. She is a Christmas baby and we really don't ever get to celebrate in a big way for her birthday, so this is it for her this time. The best part, SHE HAS NO IDEA I'm doing it! I have ordered her a custom cake that I'll tell you all about, as well as a few other surprises! I told you I adore my kiddos!

DD7, aka Stitch - My baby, my little girl on the outside, little boy on the inside. Eminates Stitch in every way! Right down to the hat and claws she got on our last trip in April that she still wears EVERYWHERE!!! Even in the car on the way to school so that people will see the antennae on the hat and think Stitch is in the car:rotfl2: She's very tiny for her age, more like an average 4 year old, but is very healthy. She is a very picky, non-adventurous eater. I do know though, that she will be happy with her choices at the meals Her favorite foods are ham, celery with peanut butter, well peanut butter in general, cheese pizza, chicken of any kind, steak, green beans, corn, chocoalte, raw baby carrots, pocorn, and ice cream. She RARELY tries new foods, so I'm not hopeful she'll be trying anything new this trip.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, that is the cast for this trip. I should mention that DH is away for the next 11 months and 3 weeks in Afghanistan on business. He is an electronics contractor for a HUGE nationally know government contracpr with a HQ here in VA. He will be home for 2 weeks in April, and then home for good in October of 2010. The longest he's ever been away was 9 months and that was 2 years ago. I tell him he retired from the Navy to deploy:lmao:(Which he did retire July of this year). So I've got us 2 WDW trips planned so that we have other things to think about besides him being gone:thumbsup2 When he gets home in October, we are doing Xmas at the world for 2 whole weeks with the kiddos and we all can't wait. We're going to do Deluxe dining on that trip:woohoo: And he is taking me on DCL Alaskan cruise for our 10th Anniversary in 2010....I can't wait....:cloud9:

Next post...ADR's a plenty!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thought I'd post a pic of us....
Nana, Me, Alice, and Stitch @ Disney on Ice a few weeks ago...
DSCF0626.jpg

And here's Charming on our April trip...
DSCF0348.jpg

I'm here...this is going to be a good one. Your family sounds wonderful.

:yay:My first reader!!!!:welcome:

I've read your wonderful dining reports Kat, and so glad you're in for mine:hug: Thanks for the kind words about my family too!

Here they are...I have changed them 5 times already...no joke! If you pop over to my PTR in my siggy, you'll see all the blood, sweat, and tears that have gone into these things.:lmao: I went back and forth with Chef Mickey's, which I eventually canned due to all the negative feedback and was about the time Alice decided she wanted to go the The Wave, so I replaced it with that. Then Stitch decides she wants to eat with the stepsisters and Prince Charming just last week:scared1: Looked online religiously and couldn't find a thing, so I took a chance and called...and....I got it at 6:05pm on a Saturday night:faint: Even the CM was surpised! I told him it's the first time I've had some pixie dust returned to me in all my years of pixie dusting others;) I hemmed and hawed about going to the Wave, Charming wanted to eat at O'Hana twice (but I gave hime a choice to make, which I'll note below in the list), Nana wanted at least one good seafood dinner and one good steak dinner, Alice really just wanted the Wave after reading the menu on allears, and me...I just wanted to eat:lmao: The only things I was adamant about booking were our girls only GF Tea and our family dinner at O'Hana which Nana has never been to. And now...the list...

Day 1/Arrival Day
B - On the road
L - WPE if no park, Plaza if we venture into MK (will depend on how pooped we are)
D - The Wave @ 7:10pm (Alice will be receiving her custom cake at this meal, since this is the place she really wants to eat at)

Day 2
B- In room or snacks from the resort
L - CS @ Epcot; definitely Tangeirine for me:woohoo:
D - O'Hana @ 9:30pm - family pick (we do this time purposefully so that we can watch the EWP at 9 on the beach and then request a window seat for Wishes during our meal. The is just the best!)

Day 3
B- CS @ SSR Goods to Go
L - Sci Fi @ 3:05pm - all the kids want to go here!
D - 50's Prime Time @ 9:50pm - Nana and I went with Stitch when she was 4 and we want the teens to experience it too(this is an EMH night and they are open during EMH, but I had to call to get this after hours ressie and it was no problem:thumbsup2)

Day 4
B - CS @ Main St Bakery:lovestruc
L - Gardenview Tea Room @ 2pm for the girls:woohoo: Alice will be receiving her White Chocolate Glass Slipper dessert I ordered at the Tea. It'll be 11/24 and since her bday is really 12/24, I thought I'd mark it with another something special for her. She will also have her birthday present delivered to her at the resort and waiting for her when we get back from dinner! It's the D&B Disney inspired tassell bag!!!! I got the large one already and she's in love with it, so that's what I got her, just the smaller one:thumbsup2 Charming will hit the arcade or the pool and grab a CS meal, since he'd rather be caught dead than at a "girly" tea.:lmao: I know, I know...his loss!
D - Kona Cafe @ 7:30pm - my pick

Day 5
B- WPE
L - Planet Hollywood @ 11:30am with our 2 $15 vouchers! All the kids love it here and wanted to return. Charming would've had to have given this up for his second O'Hana, but he wouldn't. He LOVES the LA Lasagna and I can't say I blame him...it's :cloud9: (We'll have 2 vouchers since we have a split stay)
D - Grand Floridian Cafe - my pick for a nice meal with lots of variety

Day 6 (Turkey Day!)
B - Tusker House @ 8am:woohoo: - Stitch's pick...she loves Donald:lovestruc
L- CS @ the Mara at AKL (gets such good reviews so have to try it!)
D - WCC or Boma - I have ADR's for both and cannot decide what we would all enjoy more:confused3. Any opinions are welcomed!!!

Day 7
B - Kona Cafe @ 10am - Nana LOVES breakfast and LOVES pineapple, so this was an obvious must do so she can have pineapple macadamia pancakes! And I MUST HAVE TONGA TOAST this trip!!!
L - CS @ Epcot @ Sunshine Seasons
D - Cape May Clambake @ 8pm - Nana is going to get her seafood fix!!!:lmao: Especially since they now have the crabs legs:woohoo:

Day 8
B - Crystal Palace @ 8:10am - my pick for Stitch. My nickname for her has been Piglet since she was born. She's so tiny and pink (she didn't get ANY of the Italian, but got all the Irish!!!) and want some pics with her and Piglet. Plus...PUFFED FRENCH TOAST and BREAKFAST LASAGNA...hello...was there any doubt my kids would want to eat here???:lmao:
L - CS @ MK - again either CHH or Pecos Bills
D - 1900 Park Fare @ 6:05pm:woohoo: - Stitch's pick

Day 9
B - O'Hana @ 7:45am - Stitch's pick and our last hurrah as we're driving home right after:sad1:

Up next...our snack must do's....YUM!!!

Sounds like a great line up!

I would choose Boma over WCC. WCC is the one absolute never do again for us even though many here on the Dis love it. We found the meat in the skillet to be fatty. Our service was awful. It was a definitely miss for us. (We did enjoy breakfast there though)

Sounds like a great line up!

I would choose Boma over WCC. WCC is the one absolute never do again for us even though many here on the Dis love it. We found the meat in the skillet to be fatty. Our service was awful. It was a definitely miss for us. (We did enjoy breakfast there though)

Hi and welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

I appreciate the Boma input! I'm leaning more and more towards it everyday:thumbsup2

Hi and welcome! Glad to have you aboard!

I appreciate the Boma input! I'm leaning more and more towards it everyday:thumbsup2

I'm with GoofySon'sMom -- Boma over WCC any day. We had the same experience -- bad food (Mark got sick on the meat) and horrible service (there for two hours -- just the two of us -- and we never ordered dessert).

The rest of the line up sounds pretty darn good to me.

Okay, this sounds like a lot of fun - count me in!!! :goodvibes

You have a wonderful family and your restaurant lineup looks really good! I am so looking forward to your GF Tea review - I so want to do that one day! :thumbsup2

I'm with GoofySon'sMom -- Boma over WCC any day. We had the same experience -- bad food (Mark got sick on the meat) and horrible service (there for two hours -- just the two of us -- and we never ordered dessert).

The rest of the line up sounds pretty darn good to me.

Oh, not good about getting sick at WCC:sick: I'm so sorry! We are definitely leaning more towards Boma at this point. I'm going to go over the menus with Nana and see what her take is on them and where she prefers. I'll let her read some of the Boma reviews too:thumbsup2

Count me in!

Hi Nicky!:wave: I'm so glad you're on board! I LOVE your reviews and am still trying to read all of the older ones:goodvibes

Okay, this sounds like a lot of fun - count me in!!! :goodvibes

You have a wonderful family and your restaurant lineup looks really good! I am so looking forward to your GF Tea review - I so want to do that one day! :thumbsup2

Hi there!:wave: and welcome aboard! I've been enjoying your reviews as well! I have done a GF Tea review from this past April and am going to put the link in my siggy now! Feel free to take a look! We absolutely adore our tea time at GF:lovestruc Thanks so much for the sweet words about my family...I think I'll keep em:)

Drum roll please....:rockband:

MK snacks
  • MS Bakery Cinnamon rolls and lots of em (we need a drool smilie for this one!:lmao:)
    MS Bakery Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
    MS Confectionary Fudge:lovestruc
    Sleepy Hollow waffles and funnell cakes
    Aloha Isle DOLE WHIP FLOATS!
    Pinnochip VIllage Haus Fiagro Fries

Epcot

• Sunshie Seasons chocolate coffee cake and strawberry shortcake
    Norway school bread:cloud9: and rice cream
    Japan Kaki Gori
    Germany BRATS!!!!
    France Grey Goose slushies, Pomagranate Kir, Crepes, Strawberry tarts

MGM/DHS

• Starring Rolls Butterfinger cupcakes
    Writer's Stop for blue iced cupcakes (for some reason they taste better there according to Stitch)
    TURKEY LEGS!

AK
  • Only been in there to ride EE and hopped right back out! What's good DISers???:confused3

Resorts/DTD

• BW Bakery mini Mickey Head cakes
    POFQ Beniegts
    POP Tye Dye Cheescake
    DTD Doh Bars and Ghiardelli's!!!

Alright...am I missing anything??? Definitely open to suggestions!;)

Oh and I've already pre ordered my wheelbarrow(sp?) to roll me outta there!:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

Sounds like a fun family vacation! We will be there Nov 18th - 28th and I am sooooo excited!

We are having dinner at the Kona the same night as you, but at 6:30. We're also at Sci-Fi for lunch the same day but at 12:00! We are doing Chef Mickey's and after all the reviews I'm not going in with high expectations but the kid's are looking forward to it.

I would pick WCC over Boma. We just aren't Boma people. We've tried it twice and just can't get into it. I will definitely miss the hummus! We did really enjoy WCC (but aren't returning this year.) Both DH and my step-dad got sick after eating at Boma for Thanksgiving last year. Not sure what it was - the food, the beer, or the virus that was moving around WDW. We're doing Teppan Edo for Thanksgiving this year - not very midwestern but fun!

You are very good to commit to a pre-dining report! We went last year and I had a ton of pictures and notes of 6 people's food but it was chaos returning and getting ready for Christmas right away. Time kept passing and passing I am really bummed I never got to it. Hopefully this year!

If you've been following KatMark's dining review then you know know changing ADR's five times is nothing! :rolleyes1

Sounds like a fun family vacation! We will be there Nov 18th - 28th and I am sooooo excited!

We are having dinner at the Kona the same night as you, but at 6:30. We're also at Sci-Fi for lunch the same day but at 12:00! We are doing Chef Mickey's and after all the reviews I'm not going in with high expectations but the kid's are looking forward to it.

I would pick WCC over Boma. We just aren't Boma people. We've tried it twice and just can't get into it. I will definitely miss the hummus! We did really enjoy WCC (but aren't returning this year.) Both DH and my step-dad got sick after eating at Boma for Thanksgiving last year. Not sure what it was - the food, the beer, or the virus that was moving around WDW. We're doing Teppan Edo for Thanksgiving this year - not very midwestern but fun!

You are very good to commit to a pre-dining report! We went last year and I had a ton of pictures and notes of 6 people's food but it was chaos returning and getting ready for Christmas right away. Time kept passing and passing I am really bummed I never got to it. Hopefully this year!

If you've been following KatMark's dining review then you know know changing ADR's five times is nothing! :rolleyes1

Hi and welcome!!! So glad you're joining in:hug:

The whole Boma vs. WCC is driving me NUTS:dance3: Hopefully Nana and her wisdom will make the right choice. I'm putting it in her hands now.

I love doing all kinds of blog type things, especially when my DH is deployed somewhere. It seems to make the time go by quicker:confused3 I'll be the crazy lady armed with my camera and notebook in the restaurants:rotfl: We'll also have LGMH's on our stuff we're carrying...so you can't miss me! Say hi if you see me!!!

Drum roll please....:rockband:

MK snacks
  • MS Bakery Cinnamon rolls and lots of em (we need a drool smilie for this one!:lmao:)
    MS Bakery Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
    MS Confectionary Fudge:lovestruc
    Sleepy Hollow waffles and funnell cakes
    Aloha Isle DOLE WHIP FLOATS!
    Pinnochip VIllage Haus Fiagro Fries

Epcot

• Sunshie Seasons chocolate coffee cake and strawberry shortcake
    Norway school bread:cloud9: and rice cream
    Japan Kaki Gori
    Germany BRATS!!!!
    France Grey Goose slushies, Pomagranate Kir, Crepes, Strawberry tarts

MGM/DHS

• Starring Rolls Butterfinger cupcakes
    Writer's Stop for blue iced cupcakes (for some reason they taste better there according to Stitch)
    TURKEY LEGS!

AK
  • Only been in there to ride EE and hopped right back out! What's good DISers???:confused3

Resorts/DTD

• BW Bakery mini Mickey Head cakes
    POFQ Beniegts
    POP Tye Dye Cheescake
    DTD Doh Bars and Ghiardelli's!!!

Alright...am I missing anything??? Definitely open to suggestions!;)

Oh and I've already pre ordered my wheelbarrow(sp?) to roll me outta there!:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

OH..DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW I CAN EDIT MY TITLE?????

Where is the popcorn::popcorn:: and :mickeybar:mickeybar :lmao::lmao:

So...I am going to take the leap into the WDW custom cake waters for the first time.:rolleyes1 Alice's birthday is Christmas Eve. We've always celebrated it that day with cake and presents at home, then I'd have the big party for her and her friends in February so the parents would have time to recooperate from the holidays. Well, since she's become a teenager, she feels she gets shafted by the hub bub of Christmastime mixing with "her birthday":sad2: Ah...teenage girls and their drama, wait that's DRAMA!:laughing: So since we'll be in WDW the entire week, including 11/24, I've decided to celebrate her birthday Disney style with many surprises for her throughout the week:thumbsup2 The first of being, this custom cake:wizard: Alice is a HUGE Jack Skellington nut and that is what this cake will be based on. Thanks to the DIS and the cake gallery thread:grouphug:, I've gotten some awesome ideas and have jumbled them together to come up with, what I think, is the perfect birthday cake;)

Here is the email I sent to the CR Bakery this past Sunday...
Hello!

I would like to order a custom Jack Skellington/Nightmare Before Christmas cake for my daughter’s birthday. I would like it for 11/21 @ our dinner at the Wave at 7pm. I would like for it to look similar to the picture attached, just replace the haunted mansion wallpaper with something indicative of The Nightmare Before Christmas and replace the gold picture frame on top with Jack Skellington as the focal piece/topper as the one in the attached Jack cake photo(disneyaugust2009225.jpg). Please use black and purple as the main colors and include miniatures of the dog Zero, Lock, Shock, and Barrel, and Oogie Boogie on the top and sides of the cake as well, in place of the skulls around the border in the photos. A few pumpkins would be nice as well. PLEASE NO CHOCOLATE RIBBON on the cake. I would like a small graveyard in area of the ribbon in the picture (it does NOT have to be 3D, it can be flat to the cake).

I would like an 8” inch marble cake frosted with vanilla butter cream tinted to match the theme of the cake. I would like the strawberry and custard filling. I would like “Happy 15th Birthday Alexandra” written on the serving circle in Black icing. Please use a SILVER cake circle to put the cake on.

Please contact me via email or at xxx-xxx-xxxx with pricing, confirmation, and any questions.

Thank you for your time!

Not 10 minutes later, here is the response I get...and from Brian, who is supposed to be the CR Bakey guru:woohoo:...
We would be happy to make you a cake with all of your request. The cost of the cake would be $100, Please contact contemporary Private Dining at 407-824-2955 to place your cake order. Have a Magical Day!

Thank You,
Brian Kruger
Cake Decorator
Disney's Contemporary Resort
Here are the photos I included for them to reference...
DSC01389.jpg

DSC01386.jpg

DisneyAugust2009225.jpg

I emailed Brian back and told him I had no voice, due to being sick, and that I would definitely call him this week to go over everything. He emailed me back with a "No problem:)"

So this concludes Part 1 of the Saga. Tune in next time for Part 2 - The first verbal contact....:eek:

Sounds like you have a great trip planned! It seems the communication with the cake people is going well so far, I hope they manage to make it exactly how you want it.

Looking forward to the reviews! :)

So...I am going to take the leap into the WDW custom cake waters for the first time.:rolleyes1 Alice's birthday is Christmas Eve. We've always celebrated it that day with cake and presents at home, then I'd have the big party for her and her friends in February so the parents would have time to recooperate from the holidays. Well, since she's become a teenager, she feels she gets shafted by the hub bub of Christmastime mixing with "her birthday":sad2: Ah...teenage girls and their drama, wait that's DRAMA!:laughing:

Hi just wanted to say enjoying your report. My son's birthday is Dec 30, and I was worried about his birthday being lost in the Christmas mix. A friend of mine who's son was born Dec 23 gave me a really cute idea that has worked for us. Each year we get a small tree just for him, and decorate it with birthday streamers, party favors, and a party hat topper, and put his b-day presents and nothing else under it. This way he feels like he isn't being over looked and the other kids actually wish that they could have their own b-day tree. Anyway thought it was a great idea to pass along.

So...I am going to take the leap into the WDW custom cake waters for the first time.:rolleyes1 Alice's birthday is Christmas Eve. We've always celebrated it that day with cake and presents at home, then I'd have the big party for her and her friends in February so the parents would have time to recooperate from the holidays. Well, since she's become a teenager, she feels she gets shafted by the hub bub of Christmastime mixing with "her birthday":sad2: Ah...teenage girls and their drama, wait that's DRAMA!:laughing:

Hi just wanted to say enjoying your report. My son's birthday is Dec 30, and I was worried about his birthday being lost in the Christmas mix. A friend of mine who's son was born Dec 23 gave me a really cute idea that has worked for us. Each year we get a small tree just for him, and decorate it with birthday streamers, party favors, and a party hat topper, and put his b-day presents and nothing else under it. This way he feels like he isn't being over looked and the other kids actually wish that they could have their own b-day tree. Anyway thought it was a great idea to pass along.

I love the birthday tree idea! So cute and fun.

And OP-- I saw your post in the Cake chatter thread yesterday (Monday? where do the days go?) anywho-- looking forward to your pre/post TR... we will arrive at WL on the 29th, I am hoping you will find some new goodies for us to try. :thumbsup2

(oddly we are getting a cake at CR too, for 2nd birthday. I have very high hopes, but no expectations, it will just BE.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter