Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW July 2011* Top Ten "Things" *

We just got back and had a great time. Universal was just amazing. We must have rode The Forbidden Journey at least 8 times. I loved it! Single rider line for the ride worked great for me and my daughter. We ended up on the same ride several times.

Funny with Jurassic Park. The first time we rode it there must have been a technical issue. The long neck dino was not working at all. His neck was almost in the water and did not move. the spitting dinos in the factory area did not spit either. When we splashed down at the end I only got a small sprinkle.

queue the next day...Everything was working pretty good. The spitting Dinos got me several times and I was drenched at the splash down! I just looked at my daughter and cracked up! (We sat in the same place too...back row!)

Originally Posted by SharonK0527
Awesome update!! Question for you - how would you compare the drop on Jurassic Park to other rides like Splash Mountain or Expedition Everest? I'm not a huge drop fan but can handle both of those rides.

Can't wait for more!

Trying to get information to help with your question. Drops don't bother me at all, so I didn't really pay attention to compare the 3 rides.

My guidebook does say that JP has an 85 foot plunge. I don't know what the drops are on the other two. I tried to search on Splash Mountain Drop on the Theme Park parks forum, but I didn't find any "technical info"

Answers.com says this regarding Splash Mountain: "At the top of this third lift hill, the log descends the 52-foot (16 m) drop at a 45 degree angle, reaching a maximum speed of 40 mph."

Ultimaterollercoaster.com says this regarding Expedition Everest: "Expedition Everest is a freeform mine train roller coaster that reaches a top speed of 50 mph and plummets down an 80-foot drop from the summit."

I'd say anyone that can do EE can do JP, no problem! What's another five feet?!? :thumbsup2

We just got back and had a great time. Universal was just amazing. We must have rode The Forbidden Journey at least 8 times. I loved it! Single rider line for the ride worked great for me and my daughter. We ended up on the same ride several times.

Funny with Jurassic Park. The first time we rode it there must have been a technical issue. The long neck dino was not working at all. His neck was almost in the water and did not move. the spitting dinos in the factory area did not spit either. When we splashed down at the end I only got a small sprinkle.

queue the next day...Everything was working pretty good. The spitting Dinos got me several times and I was drenched at the splash down! I just looked at my daughter and cracked up! (We sat in the same place too...back row!)

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip! Great technique on Forbidden Journey! How were the shops in the Wizarding World?

Maybe your first ride on JPRA was in "B mode" simulating the part in the movie when they go on the jeep tour but don't see any dinos.

It's great that you were able to have the full experience with working effects on the later ride.

Answers.com says this regarding Splash Mountain: "At the top of this third lift hill, the log descends the 52-foot (16 m) drop at a 45 degree angle, reaching a maximum speed of 40 mph."

Ultimaterollercoaster.com says this regarding Expedition Everest: "Expedition Everest is a freeform mine train roller coaster that reaches a top speed of 50 mph and plummets down an 80-foot drop from the summit."

I'd say anyone that can do EE can do JP, no problem! What's another five feet?!? :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for researching this and posting the info! :thanks:

Thanks for posting this. I think you're right - if the drop on EE is 80 feet, I guess I can survive 85' :rotfl:

When we were done with dinos, we decided to crossover to the Wizarding World again.

Here are a couple of shots of the castle from this entryway:

IMG_6399.jpg

IMG_6398.jpg

As soon as the boys saw the butterbeer cart, they insisted on stopping. Ben asked if he could get a souvenir cup, so we ended up ordering one frozen butterbeer ($4.25), one bb in souvenir cup ($11.50) and one pumpkin juice in a bottle ($6.25). I believe the bottle is supposed to be a souvenir, too, but we ended up recycling that. We did keep the pumpkin top.

The total was $22, and since we made our purchase from a cart, they couldn’t apply the AAA discount.

Has anyone seen a Gringotts’ ATM around here?

IMG_6401.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

Once again, the frozen butterbeer was amazing!!!

I thought the pumpkin juice we had on tap at the Three Broomsticks was better than the pumpkin juice in the bottle.

The Wizarding World was wicked :crowded:

IMG_6400.jpg

IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

As we stood off to the side enjoying our drinks, “students” from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang came out for photo ops.

IMG_6420.jpg

A few more assorted photos in Harry Potterland:

Snowman

IMG_6416.jpg

Window Shopping:

IMG_6414.jpg

IMG_6428.jpg

IMG_6429.jpg

IMG_6431.jpg

Flight of the Hippogriff:

IMG_6411.jpg

IMG_6412.jpg

IMG_6413.jpg

Hogwarts Castle

IMG_6409.jpg

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6421.jpg

IMG_6424.jpg

It was around 5 pm and we figured it was probably a good time to have dinner.

One of the restaurants I wanted to try during this trip was Mythos, which has been voted the Number 1 Theme Park restaurant a number of times. Since we didn’t know when we might eat there, I didn’t make a reservation. Coming from a “Disney” mentality, this worried me a lot despite assurances on the Universal forums that reservations to most restaurants would probably not be required.

Would this hold true at 5 PM on a busy Thursday afternoon in July?

Next up: A meal of Mythos-cal (pro) portions

I've been loving your trip report and thought I'd add one of my photos! Just in case people miss it.

a>

May have to pass on the pumpkin juice. Doesn't sound remotely appetizing to the pallet since I'm not a fan of pumpkin. The frozen butterbeer though, I'm going to have to try! Loved the pic with Ben with his butterbeer. :goodvibes The more pictures I see of WWoHP, the more excited I get.

I've been loving your trip report and thought I'd add one of my photos! Just in case people miss it.

a>

Thanks for posting the picture. I didn't take one of the sign. The ATM is by Moaning Myrtle's restrooms, right?

I can't wait to have Butterbeer. And Pumpkin juice, I love pumpkin!

The butterbeer is totally addictive!

May have to pass on the pumpkin juice. Doesn't sound remotely appetizing to the pallet since I'm not a fan of pumpkin. The frozen butterbeer though, I'm going to have to try! Loved the pic with Ben with his butterbeer. :goodvibes The more pictures I see of WWoHP, the more excited I get.

Thanks! He does have a cute 'stache from the foam :)

The one drink we didn't try in the Wizarding World was pear cider, because I didn't know about it until we got back. We did have the apple cider at 3 Broomsticks but I think the pear would be interesting.

Glad you are enjoying the photos and it is adding to the excitement of your trip. I still have 2 more visits to WWoHP in my report.

Hi, I just started your TR.
I'm just on day 1 at US, but just wanted to say "Loving It !"

I am a Disney Gal, going to universal for the 1st time June 2012, so
I am really enjoying the comparisons !

Love the pics, too ! :thumbsup2

Hi, I just started your TR.
I'm just on day 1 at US, but just wanted to say "Loving It !"

I am a Disney Gal, going to universal for the 1st time June 2012, so
I am really enjoying the comparisons !

Love the pics, too ! :thumbsup2

:welcome:

So glad to have you here and I appreciate the compliments about the report and pictures. Please feel free to ask any questions you have!

Your kids are a great age for Uni/IoA! Where are you staying? Is it a split trip between Disney and the Darkside?

According to the sundial in the Lost Continent it was 5:20 PM.

IMG_6434.jpg

One of the restaurants I wanted to try during this trip was Mythos, which has been voted the Number 1 Theme Park restaurant a number of times. Since we we weren't sure when we might eat there, I didn’t make a reservation. Coming from a Disney mentality, this worried me a lot despite assurances on the Universal forums that reservations to most restaurants would probably not be required.

We had been drifting a bit aimlessly for the past hour, and nothing annoys Mark more than not knowing where we are going or what our next move would be, so it was not going to be pretty if we had to come up with a Plan B restaurant.

We were about to check to see if the proclaimed “Best Theme Park Restaurant” was taking walk-ins.

IMG_6438.jpg

The boys wait outside while I approach the hostess desk. I must admit that I was more than a little nervous…

“About 10 minutes” they tell me.

PHEW!!!

IMG_6463.jpg

I hope this isn’t a prophecy of bills to come…

While we are waiting for a table, I thought I should get a park map so we could figure out what we were going to do next, after dinner. There was a shop across the street, so I went in and asked the guy at the counter if I could have a park map. He reached into a drawer and joked

“That’ll be a dollar”

“I paid at the entrance”, I replied.

He smiled, gave me the map and I rejoined my family just in time to be seated.

Here is the description of Mythos from the Universal/IoA website:

Lying offshore a craggy grotto on The Lost Continent®, the cavernous interior of the restaurant looks as if it’s been carved from the rock by the very gods whose images are etched into the walls. In addition to the dining room there is also outdoor seating offering a spectacular view of the park’s inland sea and vistas of the park’s colorful islands.

The food itself far exceeds the fare normally enjoyed by mere mortals... let alone theme park visitors. Enjoy such dishes as blueberry and pistachio crusted grilled pork, cedar planked Bay of Fundy salmon, gourmet hamburgers and imported pasta. Mouth-watering desserts and a full wine list are available. There is also a separate children’s menu.

Here are some assorted pictures of the interior of Mythos:

IMG_6439.jpg

IMG_6441.jpg

IMG_6446.jpg

IMG_6459.jpg

IMG_6461.jpg

Some of the tables have windows with views of the theme park:

IMG_6440.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

I asked our waiter to take a picture of us:

IMG_6447.jpg

IMG_6448.jpg

And now, our meal:

Months before our trip, I knew I was going to order this:

IMG_6450.jpg

Tempura Shrimp Sushi - With soy and wasabi drizzle

IMG_6449.jpg

IMG_6451.jpg

You may recall that the night before, we had a similar appetizer at Kona Café:

Shrimp Tempura Roll - tempura shrimp, fresh mango served with lilikoi sauce

IMG_5938.jpg

So, which restaurant won the Tempura Shrimp Sushi throwdown???

KONA!

The sushi at Kona was lighter and the tempura batter on the outside of the roll at Mythos made it more difficult to eat.

Ben ordered from the children’s menu:

One Fish Two Fish Ravioli
(the filling is cheese, not fish)

IMG_6454.jpg

Nate got:

Mythos Hamburger - Topped with Cheddar Cheese and applewood bacon and served with French fries.

IMG_6456.jpg

Mark and I shared these two entrees.

Mythos Pad Thai with rice noodles and mixed vegetable in a sweet and sour peanut sauce with BBQ roasted plum pork

IMG_6453.jpg

Pan Seared Blackened Mahi Mahi with baked plantains, cilantro cream sauce and tomato salsa.

IMG_6458.jpg

Portions were huge, I’m not sure if we finished everything. I don’t see any pictures of desserts, so I don’t think we ordered any.

However, this is the signature dessert at Mythos:

Warm Chocolate Banana Gooey Cake - with foster sauce, plantains and peanut butter ice cream

Next time!

Although everything was excellent, I don’t think it was the best meal that we had during our trip (that was Kona). But it was not the most expensive either (that was Kona, too), and I was really happy we ate there.

Part of our discussion during dinner was about where we were going to go next.

Any guesses?

Next up: Well, that would give it away, wouldn’t it???

Ah, Mythos. My favorite place to eat. But, I actually may not do it this trip (to save on dough). I might though. Hopefully. There are just too many other places I'm wanting to eat this trip.

We have a reservation at Mythos during our upcoming trip in a few weeks :cool1: Everyone on the boards raves so much about Mythos, it's one of only 2 dining reservations we made for this trip :lovestruc

Can't wait for the next update and to see where you guys head next :goodvibes

Ah, Mythos. My favorite place to eat. But, I actually may not do it this trip (to save on dough). I might though. Hopefully. There are just too many other places I'm wanting to eat this trip.

Well, according to your TR, somebody spoke too soon! Hope I did not lead you into temptation!

Have you tried the warm chocolate banana gooey cake?

We have a reservation at Mythos during our upcoming trip in a few weeks :cool1: Everyone on the boards raves so much about Mythos, it's one of only 2 dining reservations we made for this trip :lovestruc

Can't wait for the next update and to see where you guys head next :goodvibes

You'll enjoy Mythos! Where is the other place you made a reservation?

I'll try to get to another update in a day or two.

Start of school for the boys and all our fall activities has once again thrown me for a loop!

Hi Dee! I don't want to highjack your trip report, but I have to tell you how you've inspired me! I just booked a weekend at Universal in December! I'm going with my DD14, my sister, and my nephew (13). We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel for 3 nights, and we got a great deal a part of the DISapolooza group ($179 a night!). Between the post-Disney blues, and your amazing photos, I just couldn't help myself!!!
I've never been to Universal, so please, everyone, throw all your advice my way!!!!
Thank you for letting me invade your report, and thank you for being an inspiration!

Hi Dee! I don't want to highjack your trip report, but I have to tell you how you've inspired me! I just booked a weekend at Universal in December! I'm going with my DD14, my sister, and my nephew (13). We are staying at the Hard Rock Hotel for 3 nights, and we got a great deal a part of the DISapolooza group ($179 a night!). Between the post-Disney blues, and your amazing photos, I just couldn't help myself!!!
I've never been to Universal, so please, everyone, throw all your advice my way!!!!
Thank you for letting me invade your report, and thank you for being an inspiration!

WOO-HOO!!! That's exciting news!!!

Ask away when you have any questions.

You'll have to stick until my final summary post- Top Ten Universal Hints- although most of them have or will be covered in the main report.

OK, off to write to Universal now and ask about my commission!

Natebenma, I have to tell you how much I've enjoyed this TR. Between you, Schumigirl and (especially) Bubba's Mom, I've not only joined the Dis boards, but I contacted my travel agent, and tacked on a 3 day stay at RP to my December WDW trip.

Thank you (and the other trip reporters) for sharing your vacation with us. It really helps me get through the dreariest of days. :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter