Weight loss for Wishers and becoming Leaner Meaners!

Hi all.

Sorry I have been MIA. It has just been a crazy couple of weeks with the holidays. I am afraid it shows in my weight, but I have been pretty consistent in exercising, so things should be going well. I did my first 5K and it was a blast. We did run/walk intervals and had a good time. I actually beat my SIL by about 30 seconds, and she ran the entire time. I think I like the interval thing. We also did 5 miles that weekend, so things are moving well in the exercise department. We lucked out and had a really nice weekend. Not looking so good for this weekend. Today it was about 14 degrees when I came to work. Too cold for me!

I will come back when I have more time and read what everyone has been up to. I just knew if I didn't check in I would slowly fall away - and I can't afford to lose you guys!

Good Afternoon, Lean Mean Brigade!

I didn't make it up this AM for my 5M. I went to bed at 9:30, so I think I really just needed the rest. I am determined not to miss any more workouts. The closer I get to Christmas the harder it will get, so I need to hold the line now while it's still possible. :eek:

Manda -- So glad you enjoyed your first 5K! I agree, 14 degrees is too cold! It's 60 here today, so Cindy and I have great weather, very unusual for December!

Cindy --Sorry for the confusion. I did indeed eat a Burger King whopper as my Thanksgiving dinner. You are so sweet, and so right -- dh would not choose most of these people! :rotfl: If he had wanted a teeny tiny wife, he could have married one! I know 20 lbs does not sound like much for a year...but it's better than gaining! And I know that I can lose more next year. I have a better sense of how to apply myself, and I'm committed to increasing my workouts. I'll keep working on eating better, and maybe next year I'll lose another 30 lbs! That would get me to goal, and make me very happy. :woohoo: I'm still hoping to lose 10 more before we leave for the Half, but I know that's pretty unrealistic considering it took me 3 months to lose 7...:confused3

Beth -- With your workout schedule, I'm sure the 9 lbs will melt off! Ok, maybe not melt, but you will get there. And just in time to kick in the marathon training! What an exciting goal. I have no doubt you are going to do great things in 2010! ::yes::

Ok, let's hold it together for another weekend -- it's time for us to get our tree, get ready for the family Christmas party, get ds's H1N1 shot, and fill out an application for a "Plan B" school for ds. I have to answer essay questions as well -- What is my child's most endearing quality? Seriously?!

He's definitely changing schools next year. If he doesn't get into our first choice (he took a test and has straight As, but it is extremely competitive and we won't know until March), we need backup schools. Did I mention we also need to shop for the Angel Tree at church, go to church, figure out a dessert to bring to the family Christmas party, etc.? I am going to be worn out when I go back to work Monday! I also need to run 8 miles Saturday. :cool1:

What about you guys? How busy are your weekends? Anyone baking anything superlicious? Got any special activities or fun workouts planned? I know there are some Goofy B2Bs out there!

Maria :upsidedow

Hi, Leaner-Meaners! Just wanted to say "Hi". :wave2:

Just got back from the Space Coast Marathon (report here) and a great little one-day visit to WDW for Christmas (photos here). This weekend I'm wrapping up my Galloway Group training with our last run and group party, then preparing to visit with WiSHers Pat and Anne as they join me at the end of next week for the Kiawah Island Half (for them) and Marathon (for me). Space Coast was a beautiful race -- never saw so many dolphins -- but I almost had a PW pace. I'll blame it on not enough sleep and move on. (No point in dwelling on a less-than-stellar experience. <pardon the pun>) I am struggling with consistency in my healthy eating. I love hearing about the renewed determination of the folks here -- and admire those of you who have kept the weight off! Good luck as you all plan races for 2010! :woohoo:

Kiawah will be my last "training marathon" before Goofy, my 4th marathon in 3 months, and my 34th marathon since I started this silliness 10 years ago. My 5th Goofy looms ahead, and I am alternately terrified and excited.

So, that's my drive-by/check-in. I keep thinking life will calm down and I will be on the boards more regularly, but "there's always something." :)

Hey Lean Meaners! Happy Friday! Sorry to have been MIA - My eating has been good but I haven't gotten on the scale in about a month. So I really have no idea if it's all that "good". Clothes aren't getting tighter so that's a good thing :)

Sorry, it's just going to be a quick drive-by for me today. Lots of work at work and I definitely don't want to stay late on a Friday.

Wendy - That's an amazing amount of marathons! If I can keep running for 10 years, I don't think I'd even have half as many as you. :worship: I'm off to read your race report as soon as I'm done posting.

Maria - Welcome back! I'm glad the doctor doesn't think there's anything seriously wrong with your arm. Btw, I'm a big chicken at the doctor's, dentist etc. too That's an interesting question to ask a parent. When will you find out which school DS gets into?

Manda - Congrats on your 5K! I forget are you coming to marathon weekend in January?

Cindy - WTG on the 5 days of clean eating! :cheer2: I find it's hard to get back on the wagon somedays but each day that I'm on, it gets a little easier (no sugar cravings).

Beth - I know what you mean about the winter training. I have a 30K race at the end of March I'd love to do but keep waffling because I don't want to run in January or February. But I guess it's better than sitting my butt on the couch...

AFM - Still having a little trouble with the old knee. This year, my right side is weaker than my left side. So same issue just the opposite side. Go figure :rolleyes: I have a suspicion that the knee pain this time might be related to the new chairs at work (I thought Herman Miller chairs were suppose to be great :confused3) - I asked my PT when I first complained about the knee pain and it was about a week after we moved in. We're ordering new chairs but I have no idea when they're suppose to arrive. Anyway, I skipped running on Wednesday and Thursday to give my knee a break. I've got a LR of 9 miles tomorrow so I hope it goes well. I can't help but feel like I'm wasting all of this good weather :cutie:

Have a great day and weekend everyone!

Hey Meanies! How's it going?

Manda: Glad to hear you enjoyed the 5k!

Vicky: Sorry to hear about the knee......weird that things 'switched' up on you. Why is it that our whole body can't be 100% at one time???

Maria: A whopper for Thanksgiving! Love it! I bet that ds will remember that forever! He will have a great memory of that Thanksgiving, and good for you for giving it to him. Sometimes we have to make sure to 'ease' up and let some sontaneous things happen......kids need those kind of memories for when they are 'old'!

Cindy: Our weather has been crappy. I am using my TM heavily! I have to say though, it is ok! I love my TM! Good that your jeans fit better than last week. That is the only measurement you need! Even if there is no weight loss....better fitting clothes means that everything you are doing is working!

AFM: Well, things were going fine......until today. For some reason I have lost my 'mojo'. I am eating to much......AGAIN. I swear it's the weather......but whatever the reason, I need to get a grip! I did run 90 min last night on the TM, and didn't eat very much yesterday. I woke up this AM starving! I took a combo class this morning of Pilates/Yoga. It was a good class, with alot of ab's and stretching. I will try to do that one once a week if it works out!

Beth

Many of us aren't posting around here lately......things on the WISH boards are not really friendly. I know there is alot of personal grips right now, but it is discourageing for me for so much negativity. I am so 'up' right now especially coming up with plans for 2010......it's a bummer hearing so many negative people.

Let's keep the Lean Meaners free of the conflict. I am here to support each and every one of you with your endeavors. We are people of intregrity.....athletes like no other. Keep your heads high Meanies, and don't let those others to bring us down. I hope you all are having great weekends!

Beth

Thanks for the comments, Beth. It is very discouraging on most of the WISH board right now, so it's nice to know there's a safe place to go where people are friendly!

Had a great run this morning. Ran the second half of our 10 miles at a MUCH faster pace - left me feeling like my 2010 goals may be doable!

Jackie

Hey Meaners! Got my knee checked out my PT on Thursday - well actually he ended up looking at my glutes and hips because he says that's where knee problems usually start. He didn't find too much except for slightly tighter muscles. He gave me two exercises to do before I run. I had planned on doing a 9 miler this morning but I had a night cramp in my calf last night so I figured a 4 miler pace run might work out better. No knee pain so to speak of and I got my pace back up to 10:30 m/m! Hooray! I guess the real test will be to see how it holds up tomorrow on my 9 miler.

Beth - What is with all the drama on the boards lately? I feel like I missed something. Actually I've just been away because my new office set up makes it difficult to surf. I suppose that's the idea. Yeah, I think the eating is weather related - I find myself craving "heartier" foods. The combo yoga/pilates class sounds like fun!

Jackie - WTG on the faster pace!

Have a great weekend everyone! :wave2:

Hi Guys!

I just pretty much come here, to my Team thread, and to the BL thread, so I guess I'm missing out -- but it doesn't sound like on anything good.

I did my 8M yesterday, I used those cliff blocks at mile 4 and six (black cherry, yum!), and it really helped. That's something new I'm adding to my training, I usually just use them during the race. I'm going to experiment until I get it right, so by the time I'm actually "racing", I should know when to use them.

We accomplished a ton yesterday, 8M, ds's H1N1 shot, got our tree (decorating today!), finished shopping for the family party (I'm making oyster crackers in a seasoning, quite good!), Angel Tree shopping, and watched a family movie. I was exhausted by 8pm.

We have church in a little while, the Pats play at 1, we have to do another application for ds, and I need to start preparing the family party gifts. Somewhere in there I think we have to make chili, too...It's a good kind of busy, I hope you all are having similar days!

Theoretically I'm going to work some strength training in there, but honestly, that will be the first thing to go...

I pretty hang here and that's it. I made the mistake going into some 'new' threads, and all it was was bashing on each other. I don't know what the conflict is, but it seems pretty petty on all sides......so I am sticking to the Meanies and not 'surfing' around any more. I feel safe here! Hopefully those having the conflict will avoid us!

I feel good right now, but eating is still out of control. I must get my head back in the game!

The yoga/pilates class was good, but I am still sore! It amazes me how 'hard' it is when there isn't much 'action' in the class!

Beth

HI Guys! A safe haven!! :love:

Haven't been around in a long time. That's because I can't seem to lose weight. I am going to be one of those older, healthy, heavy types at Marathon weekend! Could be worse, I could be older and sick and genuinely obese!

Beth, isn't it amazing what Pilates do? I swear while I am doing them (back after a long vacation from them) I think, this is no big deal!!! And then the next day.......:confused3 How does that happen???

Maria, I do my race fuel differently than most. I use gels because I don't have to spend any excess energy chewing! I can't walk and chew at the same time, anyway! :rotfl: But I can't do a packet of gel at once. Without giving TMI, i gag on it! So, I put several gels in a gel flask and use it every half hour. Keeps me fueled, no bad reactions, and I don't fall down! :banana:

I will back around more often. I am trying to lose weight, but once the Goofy is behind me, I think I will just do ordinary, regular, Biggest Loser, exercise for a while and see if that helps. I figure once I get the Goofy under my belt, a half marathon will just be a nice little walk! :woohoo:

Vicki - Glad to hear you don't have a serious problem. But those nagging ones....Yuck!

See ya

Nah, Connie, you haven't killed the thread! I am usually the one to do that! :lmao:

Glad to see you back with us......yes, a safe haven from the judgemental! I will do my best to keep us positive!!!!!! I have to say I am surprized at the turn on the WISH, and the people participating in it. Hopefully, maybe they have grown up a little in the mean time.

Okay, I am committing to losing 5 pounds by the end of the year. Geez, the eating thing has taken on a life of it's own. I mean.....I spent the whole year doing so well, but when I fall off the wagon......LOOK OUT! I swear I have 'endulged' every whim I have had for about 2 weeks.....I am not happy with that! I woke up today with a new resolve! I am not waiting for New Years Day to get back to it. I start today to get a head start! Weight Loss is NOT a resolution for the new year......it's a day to day struggle! My year did actually start out with a New Year resolution last time......but I maintained it pretty well all year long.....now I just have to get it back! I've got 10 pounds to lose before my birthday in February......when my marathon training starts!

Connie: I have been doing more classes, cross training, and doing less running miles and I have to say it's a nice change. I feel guilty every day though, that I am not getting as many miles in, but it's good for me. I need the weights and stretching, that's for sure. December to the beginning of Feb is my training 'break'. I did stay in great running shape this year for the 6 1/2 marathons I did, but the strength training really wasn't maintained. It's hard to get over 40 miles in a week running, and fit in the weight training too. My resolve for the next couple months is diversity!

AFM: I did get 2 days in last week of long runs (8miles each) for a total of 35.5 miles.....not too bad. I added in stretch class, Pilates, a 1/2 and 1/2 class with weights and cardio, and then a fusion class of Pilates and Yoga. I have to say I am sore! I need to try to get in stretch a couple times a week. It really does help to stretch out the sore muscles! :thumbsup2

Here's to a great weight loss week!!!!! :cool1: Who's with me???????

Beth

Here's to a great weight loss week!!!!! :cool1: Who's with me???????

Me, me!

I was so happy last Monday when the scale showed no weight gain for Thanksgiving week. Fast forward a week. 4 pounds heavier. UGH! Apparently I felt immune to weight gain, and TOM, and I'm paying for it now!

Short-term goals:
-Lose the 4 pounds I gained, quickly
-Lose an additional 4 before Goofy (should put weight right around 135) I'd love to be lower, but I'm going to be realistic.
-Focus on exercises to strengthen the feet and ankles between now and Goofy, recognizing that they're the weak link in distances 16 miles and above. If I'm going to survive Sunday, the feet are the key.

DH and I have been talking with more experienced runners in our group, and have revised our Goofy strategy. I think we're both going to take the half easy, and shoot for a good time during the full. :ssst:Sshhhhh - don't tell anyone else, but I'm going to have as my super secret goal to maybe hit my full goal for 2010 during Goofy, even though I know that's completely unrealistic to do on a day after I've already run 13.1 miles. But maybe, just maybe, I can still PR.

We registered yesterday for the Indianapolis Mini-Marathon in May. DH, DD, and I are all signed up. That makes race #5 for me in 2010!

Connie - Welcome back! We're the nice guys!

Beth - I have to figure out when to work in the weights and Pilates too. I used to be really good at alternating days, and I got up early and did weights before work. I skipped ALL of 2009. It would be nice to take some time off from the running, but with 5 races on the spring schedule, that's probably not such a good idea... :confused:

Vicky - Hope the knee pain subsides. So many pains actually start somewhere else - it can be really tricky! Take it easy and listen to your body.

Jackie

Jackie: Welcome to my great weight loss week! I am going to be strong......I hope! 4 pounds is a great goal....I will attempt the same with you! Off to a good start today!!!!!

Beth

Hi guys! :grouphug: than goodness I didn't kill the thread!

Beth, your plan sounds great! I will try to lose 5 pounds too! Although, I have to admit that I have only lost 5 pounds all year! I didn't do well on cross training this last year. After the rotator cuff surgery, I hadn't felt comfortable with it. I think you call that FEAR!!! I never want to do that, again!

MDM and Beth, thanks for the warm welcome back. I don't know what's up with the boards, either. But it's warm and fuzzy in here! :hug: We need to come up with a new thread though. This one is getting up there in numbers. Maybe something like, Weight loss for Wishers - Biggest Winners! or something else POSITIVE!

I am definitely looking forward to doing some ordinary training. I am NOT going to ever do a Goofy or even a marathon again. This is too much work! I love the half and will be sticking with that! It alllows me plenty of time to train and plenty of time to play and weight loss....I hope!

I am feeling under the weather today, but I hope everyone else is doing well. At least I don't feel like I need to quit WISH, here.

Connie: I am glad you are back, and never fear coming here! We want to support you! I think that you did great for such a challenging year. At least it's five pounds less than last year! I see the good things as they come!!!!

Yeah, I guess we need a new thread.....we are up in the numbers! Anyone else agree??????

I continue holding strong! (((((who knows what going home will bring!)))))

Beth

Hey Lean Mean Brigade!

I did my 4M this am. I actually had a great workout, and then I stepped on the scale. It seems that no matter what I do, my extra eating is killing me. I'm so tempted to just go with it. It's so hard to keep it together, do the longer distances, get all the extra holiday stuff done, go to bed at a decent hour, and get up at 4:30...plus the days are gettin' mighty short! I have a million excuses, and not much motivation. I'm motivated to keep running and do everything, but I'm also motivated to eat fudge, Lindt balls, and cookies!

Beth -- If you post a new thread, I will follow! Just let us know if you change the name too much -- like you I wouldn't gravitate to check out a new thread :thumbsup2 It's funny how I have all kinds of willpower in the shower after my workout, and by 4 pm, it is all gone...:confused3:rolleyes1

Connie -- Please hang out with us, despite the name of the thread, there are no meanies here! :hug:

Jackie -- It sounds like you've put alot of thought into getting the most out of your Goofy! This has to be the hardest month out of the year to lose weight -- or even maintain it. We'll just keep plugging along and make whatever progress we can. I have to remember I definitely won't make my goals if I stop trying. At least with trying, you never know! :idea:

Vicky -- How is your knee? Have the exercises helped? :goodvibes

Wendy, Manda, Cindy -- Time to check in, we know you're out there! :wave:

Good Morning LMers, yes I'm here. I always have good intentions of posting during the weekend, but I never seem to find the time.

Connie: Welcome back, it's great to see you here. I hope you are feeling better today. I agree that training for Goofy sure takes up a lot of time.

Beth: I just came across some of the meanness on some of the other threads and was certain I was misinterpreting it because I couldn't believe it was happening. I'm not sure where or how it started, but it sure seems very immature. Good luck with your weight loss this week. You CAN do it. It's not easy, but it is possible. Stay strong.

Maria: Good job on getting your 4 miles in early. It is surprising how quickly motivation can wane. Don't give in. Those Lindt balls will be there next week or next year. You don't have to have them now. I am quickly becoming overwhelmed with all the holiday tasks in addition to our regular daily activities.

Jackie: Sorry to hear the scale went up. Good luck with your weight loss goal. I think it's a reasonable goal. Might not be easy, but you have to keep trying. I'm hoping to be at 135 too by Marathon weekend. That means 7 lbs for me. We will see. I love that you have a super secret goal to PR the marathon. How cool would that be after running 13.1 on Saturday.

Vicky: Sorry you're not able to surf as much at work. Can't believe they want you to work all day!! How is your foot feeling? Did you figure out what the problem was? Glad the knee held up for your 4 miles. Hope it did the same for your 9 miles.

Eating this weekend went well because I planned ahead. I had a party to go to on Thursday and 2 on Saturday. I managed to do well on Thursday saving my calories for Saturday. On Saturday I went to a baby shower and ate only one reasonable plate of food and a piece of cake. Then I ended up missing the Saturday night party because my DD had an ear infection. I volunteered to stay home with her and sent DH with the other kids to the party. My main reason for skipping it was to avoid the food and drink I knew I would consume. I was rewarded with 2.8 lb loss this week at WW. I know most of that was first week water weight, so I can't expect that again this week.

Plus I've lost a bit of my oomph that I had last week. I was really energized last week about eating well and exercising a lot, but this week I just feel tired. I'm hoping to stick with it anyway. I missed my swim this morning because my car is in the shop and I had to get a ride to work. I'm hoping to get out for a nice walk at lunchtime. I should have gotten up and done a DVD, but I was too tired. It's such a tricky thing trying to balance sleep and exercise and everything else.

Have a great day everyone.
Cindy

Cindy: I hear ya about being tired. I am beat! It doesn't seem like sleep helps though.......I only did 4 miles this morning and it was brutal! I didn't even think I could finish them! I don't know what my problem is.....I am going to try to get a couple more tonight.....unless I am too tired. If I am tired, it would probably be better to rest instead.

I got stretch and Pilates class in last night! I need to be careful though....I tweeked my back a little (probably Friday's Pilates/Yoga class).

Sorry to hear about the ear infection......bad time of year! Good for you though with the weight loss last week! (((((I love the first week on plan....can't get better than that! Who cares if it' 'water' weight.....the scale is still down!))))))

Maria: Good job on the early morning workout.....I always think about you when I am up at 5:15 AM! It's hard to get up 2 hours before the rest of the family! It does take a toll on me at night......couldn't even stay up last night for the new Ray Romano show on TBS. I am bummed......wanted to see it. Hopefully there will be repeats this week!

Connie: I am glad to have you back......I was just thinking about you the other day......you had started this thread way back when.....and I always see your username when getting on the thread. I wondered how you were, and glad you are back to tell us!

Jackie: The scale is a pesky thing......so fickle! Your weight loss goals are doable.....not the easiest thing, but doable! Hang in there......I will be 'hanging' right there with you!

AFM: I tried a Vitamuffin today.....not my favorite. I will probably not eat any more of them. I try to stay away from alot of process stuff, but thought a muffin would be nice. It was chocolate......and TOO chocolately for me. I will stick with my scrambled eggs from now on!

10 pounds seems like more trouble than the 70 I already lost......why is that? It's dragging me down.....I need to get it done already! I need you all with me on this!!!!! I have to have back-up people!!!!! I am glad you are all here!

Beth

****What should we call our new Thread???? Give me your ideas!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter