? Weeping Cherry Tree

2Poodles

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Does anyone know if Weeping Higan Cherry Trees or any variety of weeping cherry tree's roots wrap around water pipes or septic tanks? I'm planning on buying one next week to be placed in our front yard. My husband said we need to know if they seek water pipes/septic tanks. I'll speak with the garden supply company tomorrow. It's closed this evening.

I know Weeping Willows wrap around pipes but never thought about other variety of weeping treees doing the same.

Thanks.

Mary & the 2Poodles
(Sebastian & Winslow)

Welcome , Mary, Sebastian and Winslow also! :flower3: ;)

Mary, I don't think a Weeping Cherry and Weeping Willow would be the same, as far as roots go. It's a description of the similarity in the branch structure. The mature size of the tree is a better indicator of the roots reach.

The following may be of help to you.

~Techniques for Reducing Tree Root Intrusion~

Plant trees as far away as possible from the drain field. If you want to be absolutely certain that tree roots will not intrude into your drain field, trees should be planted at least as far away as their estimated root spread at maturity. One way to estimate this is by the ultimate height of the mature tree. For example, a weeping cherry may be expected to grow about 25 feet tall, and should be planted a minimum of 25 feet away from the drain field. An oak might need to be planted 60 or 70 feet away. On the other hand, if you are willing to risk some root intrusion, you may plant these non-aggressive species quite a bit closer to the drain field (although closer than 10 feet is not recommended). Although the root spread of these trees may eventually encompass part of the drain field, the roots are not likely to cause serious damage.

There's lots more information that you can check out, Right Here!

I hope it helps!

Let us know what the garden supply company tells you, okay? :)

I didn't think they would be as invasive as the Weeping Willow. Our septic tank is in the front yard. Our house was built in the 50's (a typical 50's ranch) and all the houses on our street have their septic tanks in the front yard.

Darn, I have a large backyard and not much of a front yard. I really wanted to put the Weeping Cherry at the corner of the house in the front. I'll have to discuss this with the garden center landscaper. Their first drawing had a Dogwood at the corner which would be pretty too. I just really love and want the Weeping Cherry.

Thanks for the info on the roots spreading out. I think it would be to close to our septic tank and leach fields. I guess I could put the Weeping Cherry at different location.

Thanks so much Snowark. You alway have such great information,

Mary & the 2Poodles
(Sebastian & Winslow)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter