We had a great time!! 10/11-10/17

karin037

DIS Veteran
We (DH, DD21, DD16, DD14 & Myself) had the greatest time ever!! Universal Orlando is awesome. We were there from 10/11 to 10/17. We arrived at Orlando around 8:30am. Yourride picked us up from the airport and took us to Publix for a grocery stop. For our first 3 nights we stayed at the Portofino Bay Hotel. We were so happy to be upgraded from Garden view to a Deluxe room. We had room 2477 which was near the pool and the water taxi. We really enjoyed our stay at the PBH. We ate dinner at Mama Della's one night. We all had Lasagna. It was very good, although DD16 said she liked the Lasagna at the Comic Strip Cafe better. Our last 3 nights we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel. We had a Garden view room. They were full, so we didn't get a room upgrade. We had room 4074 at the HRH. We received our cookies and milk at both the PBH and the HRH. The cookies at the PBH were so good. Chocolate chip with chocolate centers. We had the Entertainment rate at both the PBH and the HRH. DH and I liked the PBH better than the HRH. DD21 and DD16 liked the rooms at the PBH better, but liked the pool area of the HRH more. DD14 liked the pool area at the PBH more than the pool area at the HRH. We walked to the parks most of the time from both the PBH and the HRH. We only took the water taxi if it was there, or if we saw it coming. You can get to the parks quicker by walking, than by waiting for the water taxi. We had breakfast one morning at the Sunset Grill. The girls liked eating breakfast at Ponderosa. We walked there twice while staying at the PBH. It is really close, if you take the shorcut through the employees parking lot. The breakfast buffet at Ponderosa is only $3.99. There is also a McDonald's and a Walgreens. There is a Bargain World too, where we found some cheap souvenirs. Our first night in Orando, 10/11, we went to Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party (used Yourride again). We were all dressed in costumes (except for DD21 who didn't want to go). We had dinner at the Liberty Tree Tavern. The food there was very good. We went trick or treating and got lots of candy. We had a blast!! The costumes were really too hot though. DH and DD's couldn't wait to get them off!! On 10/12 we went to Lunch at Mythos with Barry Hom!! We were very happy to meet him. We also got to meet MsDisney & MIB999999. We had a great time there. We went to HHN on 10/12. I was so glad we had purchased the Caretaker's Express tickets. They were worth every penny. The lines were pretty long. We just walked into all of the houses and onto all of the rides without waiting. It was great. I had the best time of my life at HHN, until DD16 passed out. She was complaining of chest pains on our way out of the park. She couldn't breathe. It was really scary. DD14 went to get help (DH had already gone back to the hotel). Someone came right away with a wheel chair and took us to some place they have for emergencies. The man who took care of her was really nice. It turned out that she was hyperventillating. Her fingers were locked and she couldn't move them. She was out of it for a while. She finally came out of it, and she was fine. HHN was too much for her. I would never bring her to something like that again. I didn't realize how frightened she was. Next time, I would just go with DH. She is sixteen years old, I never thought she would react that way. So if you have children who say they don't want to go to HHN, listen to them. We got back to the Hotel around 2am that night. Here are some of the places we ate:

Mama Della's, Sunset Grill, Ponderosa, McDonalds, Mythos, Enchanted Oak Restaurant (we really enjoyed the Chicken and Rib Combo), Comic Strip Cafe, Schwab's Pharmacy (great Ice Cream Sundaes), Hard Rock Cafe, Margaritaville (great steak), Nascar, and we ordered Domino's Pizza once. I upgraded my Power pass to a regular AP, and we saved 15% at the restaurants at IOA & Unversal. At Citywalk we had a 10% discount at the restaurants and shops. We received a 20% discount at all of the shops at IOA & Universal. At the Universal store at Citywalk they had t-shirts for $4.99. After my 20% discount, I paid $12 for 3 t-shirts!!! Each day we were there, we purchased a refillable cup for under $8 with tax. We got free soda refills all day long at IOA & Universal.

DD16 & DD14 went to Teen Night at the groove. They had a good time there. DH and I went to Margaritaville for dinner. We had the steak ($14.99) which was very, very good. We sat outside Margaritaville after dinner. DH didn't want to get out of those chairs!! We had lots of fun walking around Citywalk while we waited for the girls.

One of the days we were there (10/13 I think), there was a pretty bad storm. We were coming out of Back to the Future. We heard it was a hail storm, although we didn't see any hail. It was pouring. We put our cameras into a plastic bag and headed back to the PBH. DD16 & DD14 had to walk barefoot all the way to the hotel (didn't want to get their sneakers soaked). DH and I had our Nike Straprunner sandals on. They are waterproof, we were really glad to have them!!! The girls were always commenting on how ugly our sandals were. Now they had wished they had a pair!!! We even wore them into the pool!! When we got back to the hotel DD16 did some Laundry. The Laundry room was right near us at the HRH.

We had such a good time on our vacation. We even had time to go visit the Royal Pacific Hotel. It is a beautiful hotel. I can't wait for our next trip to Universal!!!! When we arrived home (10/17), our complimentary photo from Mickey's Halloween party was waiting for us!!!

Glad to hear you had a great trip!!:D
I would like to hear more about the pool at PBH. The only picture I can find (on Universals site) doesn't make it look too inviting.
I'm still undicided where to stay. It's, DH, myself, DD 17, DS 16, DD 13, and DD 2.
HRH- 2 GV rms
PBH- 2 GV rms (more space than the HRH)
RPH- 2 GV rms (I've read the rooms are very small)
We'll be there for 3 nts, 2 days, the end of January so swimming is ????.
Any pro's and con's would be appreciated!!! Laura

I think your teens would LOVE the HRH. Your 2 year old won't really notice the difference.

karin, i am also going to HRH or PBH. I am interested in seeing your pictures. I am going to choose by the best pool. Thanks for your help. I loved your post. amy

Karen, loved your report! Would you mind sharing your pictures with me also? I too am having difficulty committing to PBH vs. HRH. I have ressies for both, and while I know I will love the PBH, a little part of me feels guilty because I think my 2 teenage sons would prefer the HRH.

Can you tell me what the transfer from one hotel to the other was like? Did you waste a lot of time, or was it a pretty smooth transfer? Also, did they move your bags for you, or were you on your own with that?

Thanks for posting! I just love hearing all the details of people's trips - I start to get really excited about our upcoming trip in April.

The incident with your 16year old must have been terrible! But I'm glad the rest of your trip was fun. Thanks so much for posting!

Jane, I sent you pm. The transfer from the PBH to the HRH went very smooth. When we checked out of PBH they took our luggage and gave us a slip. We walked over to the HRH. Our luggage was there a few minutes later. Our room was ready at the HRH and they brought our bags right up.

nhrenee, the incident with my daughter was pretty bad. She also got a really bad sunburn the last day of our trip. I left her at the HRH with DD21. They decided to lay in the baby pool. They both fell asleep and got really bad sunburns. I had to take DD16 to the doctor yesterday, because she was developing blisters and they were turning greenish. She has 1st and 2nd degree burns. She also has a staph infection. She's on oral and topical antibiotics. I told the doctor about the episode she had at HHN, and that she has been complaining of chest pains lately. She described her symptoms to him and he thinks she may have a type of asthma brought on by emotional stress. So maybe that's what happened at HHN.

Glad to hear that you can walk to Ponderosa and Mcdonalds. I am staying there at the end of our first cruise. I was worried about only being able to eat at the hotel and citywalk if not in the parks. If you leave the lot in your car are you charged the valet parking charge again, or is that a one time charge. Can't wait we will be there in about 20 days.

Thanks for a great trip report! I loved the details:) Do you recall what yourride charged you to go to disney? Were going in December and wont be renting a car so I'm trying to figure out transportation.

Thats great to know Ponderosa is walking distance!

I'm so sorry your daughter had to go through all that:( I hope she is feeling better now.

Did your room at Portofino have a patio or balcony?

Thank you again for taking the time to share your trip with us:)

Your trip report was great and very informative. Were the garden iew rooms at HRH comfortable for your family. We've stayed at the PBH but we were in a Kidsuite so I have no idea what a deluxe poolview room is like there either. We'll be at HRH and the PBH after Christmas for 7 nights over New Years so we're at a bit of a loss for finding any discounted rooms!

As for some of the other posts here, the PBH was beautiful when we were there the week before Labor Day. We enjoyed the pools at PBH (we virtually had them to ourselves when we were there) but we had a great time in the pool at HRH. Both nice but different.

:bounce:

I have never stayed at a garden room at PBH we have always opted for a Del pool Villa. These rooms come with a few more amenties than a standard room. The fax machine, bathtub and shower, robes are a few i can think of but mostly a slightly larger room. We are in the process of booking a last minute holiday trip. We have opted to take our holiday trip the week before christmas to grab some really unheard of rates at the PBH. With the triplets and 10yo we have to have two rooms so it's always a big expense for us to go anytime. We really wanted to do the weekend after christmas but they priced us out on that time frame. I found last night on expedia HRH and PBH have extended that buy 3 get one free until 1-31-03. This excludes any booking though from dec28, - 1-1-01 so that was our orginal plan but I can get PBH for 164.00 per room per night using this and if we go with a bayview it's only 124.00 a night i believe. I may book garden view and get an upgrade with my lowes card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter