We Be Trippin': The Great DIS-nee Road Trip

so I can link images!

:)

(and my sincere apologies for the incredibly cheesy method I used to gain eligibility!)

Oh - I *will* be posting shortly, but I need to get the "all clear" from the DW -

standing by. . .

We’re now heading to Glen Echo Park, home of the Dentzel Carousel. (Now that’s my kind of merry-go-round!)

It features a nice assortment of intricately carved animals (including 40 horses, 4 rabbits, 4 ostriches, a giraffe, deer, lion, and tiger) and an authentic Wurlitzer band organ. A ticket to ride costs $1.00.

The carousel doesn’t officially open until this weekend (Saturday, April 26), so – once again – I’m posting pictures from the past!

168222Glen_Echo_-_Wurlitzer_Band_Organ-med.JPG

Glen Echo’s Dentzel Carousel – Wurlitzer Band Organ

168222Glen_Echo_-_Carousel_Engagement_-med.jpg
168222Glen_Echo_-_Carousel_DISgeeks_family_-med.JPG

Then and Now: Mr. and Mrs. DISgeeks (newly engaged and before kids). The DISgeeks Family (Mr. and Mrs. DISgeeks and the DISgeeks kids)

168222Glen_Echo_-_Carousel_Mommy_DISgeeks_Jr_-med.JPG
168222Glen_Echo_-_Carousel_Mommy_DISgeeks_Jr_2-med.JPG

Mommy DISgeeks and Her “Little Man”

While the carousel is – by far – my favorite attraction, there’s a lot more to Glen Echo Park. It’s an historic venue with structures from its Chautauqua and amusement-park days still standing.

Among other things, the park includes an historic Spanish Ballroom, children’s theater, puppet playhouse, art and dance classes, environmental and history programs, and special events. (And, of course, it also has picnic tables and a small playground. :) )

A little personal history: Before kids, Mr. DISgeeks and I would sometimes go swing dancing in the Spanish Ballroom, where a live orchestra would play. Good times! :teeth:

168222Photo_2_-_Glen_Echo_Entrance2_-med.JPG
168222Photo_1_-_Glen_Echo_Entrance_-med.JPG

Glen Echo Park – Entrance

168222Photo_3_-_Glen_Echo_Dentzel_Carousel_-med.JPG

Glen Echo Park - Dentzel Carousel

168222Photo_4_-_Glen_Echo_Candy_Corner_-med.JPG
168222Photo_5_-_Glen_Echo_Popcorn_-med.JPG

Glen Echo Park - Retro Amusement Park Buildings

168222Photo_7_-_Glen_Echo_Bumper_Car_Pavilion_-med.JPG
168222Photo_6_-_Glen_Echo_Spanish_Ballroom_-med.JPG

Glen Echo Park – Bumper Car Pavilion and Spanish Ballroom

Related Web Sites:

*Glen Echo Park (Glen Echo, Maryland)

*Glen Echo’s History

*Adventure Theatre

*The Dentzel Carousel

*Creek Children’s Museum of Washington

*The Puppet Co. Playhouse

Up next: Mr. DISgeeks treats us to “eats” in downtown Bethesda.

You two haven't changed one bit!! (but your Emu's have)

Within the mysterious suburbs of Maryland, there lies a city named Bethesda -
mere minutes from the power corridors of Washington, DC . . .​
home to dozens of glamorous boutiques . . .​
with more restaurants per-capita than celebrated rivals such as
Chicago, Dallas, Montreal, New York - even San Francisco . . .

Collectively, these hundreds of restaurants cover a breathtaking array of cuisines -
Afghan to Vietnamese,​
simple to fancy,​
traditional to fusion,​
push-cart to sit-down,​
fingers to fork-and-knife . . .​

The culinary warriors that head each of these institutions do battle with one another each and every
morning,​
afternoon,​
and evening,​
vying for the attention of rumbling stomachs everywhere . . .

Yet in the end . . .
for the house of DisGeeks
. . .there can be only one.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:banana: Tastee Diner! :banana:
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

http://www.tasteediner.com/about.html

168222Photo_1_-Tastee_Diner_Sign_-med.JPG

168222Photo_2_-_Tastee_Diner_Outside_Awning_-med.JPG

Open 24-hours,
168222Photo_3_-_Tastee_Diner_Open_Eats_Sign-med.JPG

it's got authentic greasy spoon (and every other utensil) grub, vegetables that look like they came straight from a can,
168222Photo_10_-_Tastee_Diner_Dinner_-med.JPG

functional table-top juke boxes,
168222Photo_9_-_Tastee_Diner_Jukebox_-_Meghan_-med.JPG

and waitresses that call you "honey" . . .

what's not to like?

It's what the "Silver Diner" would be if it really was what it looked like!

HA! Of all of the super-sophisticated restaurants and quaint little eateries in downtown Bethesda, Mr. DISgeeks somehow managed to select the Tastee Diner. I will admit, though, that it really does have the “novelty” thing going on… To step through the front door is to take a trip back in time! (… Even if the green beans do taste like they’re from a can!)

Stay tuned for two stops in downtown D.C. (I’ve categorized these last two destinations as “Places I’d Like to Visit” [without kids].) Then, we’ll start heading north to HMFan’s “bus stop” in Taunton, MA.

Well let me know when the bus starts heading my way...... I've got dinner plans tonight, but if the bus arrives during the evening I should be able to start showing you guys some sights.

‘Sorry, HMF! :flower3:

The DISgeeks family is heading out to dinner with the in-laws, but I’ll try to post my last stops soon after we return home. I anticipate that the Party Bus will reach you sometime tonight.

Good choice by Mr. DisGeeks!!!

When you are on the road for a long trip, you need food that will stick to your ribs :confused: and keep you going for hours....

Love all of your pics!!! I can't stop looking out the window, you live in a beautiful place!:thumbsup2

HA! Of all of the super-sophisticated restaurants and quaint little eateries in downtown Bethesda, Mr. DISgeeks somehow managed to select the Tastee Diner. I will admit, though, that it really does have the “novelty” thing going on… To step through the front door is to take a trip back in time! (… Even if the green beans do taste like they’re from a can!)

Stay tuned for two stops in downtown D.C. (I’ve categorized these last two destinations as “Places I’d Like to Visit” [without kids].) Then, we’ll start heading north to HMFan’s “bus stop” in Taunton, MA.

Mr. DISgeeks!

Thanks for the WONDERFUL dinner at the diner! That was delish! :woohoo:

You'll love the place I have picked out for a meal break here in Texas! :)

Hi guys! I was panicking....all of a sudden I couldn't post and I had to go back and find my password info! Yikes! I was afraid I would be left behind! I'm here now though! This is great....more detailed than I thought, so I better get to work. Will be getting to Virginia tomorrow?

DisGeeks -- I can't wait to visit Glen Echo Park now!! Woo Hoo!!! This is so much fun!!

Mr. DisGeeks -- TASTEE DINER?!?!??!?!:lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

OK, now after I stopped laughing -- I love it!!! :thumbsup2

(Yes, I've heard of Tastee Diner, even in my part of town!)

so I can link images!

(and my sincere apologies for the incredibly cheesy method I used to gain eligibility!)

Oh - I *will* be posting shortly, but I need to get the "all clear" from the DW -

standing by. . .

Not to worry MrDisGeek!!!
Whatever it takes!!!

HA! Of all of the super-sophisticated restaurants and quaint little eateries in downtown Bethesda, Mr. DISgeeks somehow managed to select the Tastee Diner. I will admit, though, that it really does have the “novelty” thing going on… To step through the front door is to take a trip back in time! (… Even if the green beans do taste like they’re from a can!).

MrsDG, you have to understand....its a guy thing...

Mr DG.....I'm with you on this....
I have a feeling we would get along quite well when it came to "Are you hungry??...I am."

Mrs. DISgeeks has requested two last stops to “Places She’d Like to Visit [Without Kids].” Both are fairly new museums in downtown D.C.

TIX080404_md.jpg

Newseum Building

*NEWSEUM – “The Interactive Museum of News Where the News Comes to Life” (Washington, DC)

The Newseum just reopened this month in its new location in the heart of D.C. I’m sure it’s even better than the old Rosslyn, Virginia, “digs,” which I really enjoyed. (It had better be, because the construction project took six years to complete, and it's no longer free to enter. :scared1: )

Newseum Exhibits

Washington Post Overview of the Newseum

Just for Kicks (from the Newseum web site): “Today's Front Pages”

Exterior.jpg

International Spy Museum

*INTERNATIONAL SPY MUSEUM - "Gather Your Own Intelligence" (Washington, DC)

Admittedly, I’ve never actually been to this museum, but I’ve heard great things. (Plus, the premise is super-cool!)

Museum Exhxibits

Just for Kicks (from the Spy Museum web site): “300 years of espionage – now declassified”

Since they’re both a bit pricey, I’m thinking that these museums aren't someplace I plan to drag my young children anytime soon. However, they’d be great to visit once the "munchkins" grow older (or I find a kid-free afternoon). :rolleyes:

Bear in mind, though, that entry into the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo is free! (And, 'ya can't beat that price!) :thumbsup2

Spy Museum is AWESOME!!! but it is not for kids younger than pre-teens, IMHO. Going sans kids, you will get so much more out of it. There are many exhibits where you have to read the spy story to really appreciate what you are looking at ... and most kids won't want to do this.

I'm sure we brought along our Full Time Childcare, right?? ;) so let's go to the Spy Museum!!;)

Dis Geeks -- I was crossing my fingers hoping that you weren't going to one of the places I picked out! I already wrote up everything and got pictures and then said, shoot, I should have asked you first.

So yes, I recommend to those in same city, you might want to coordinate!:thumbsup2

So, Mrs DisGeek
Can I surmise you are interested in current (and past!) affairs in regards to world news???
My Father was a news person.
Never missed it, and read the paper cover to cover every day.
If he missed a day he would bring it with him where ever he went.
He would be right there!!!

The espionage thing...........well..........
He would have been right there as well.

Then again...
Should I be looking over my shoulder???.......Doc???.........Mrs D???...:scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter