WDW wouldn't trade my friend's Sedesma pins..

disneysnowflake

DIS Veteran
My friend just got back from WDW.
Before she left she bought a big pin lot on eBay for her kids to trade. 3/4 of those pins were Sedesma pins. They had Disney printed on the back, so she thought they would be okay.

She gave each of her kids a lanyard on the day they left and put regular and Sedesma pins on each lanyard.

None of the CMs would trade with the kids because they had Sedesma pins on their lanyard. One CM told her that Sedesma pins are fake. This was a WDW and also at the resort they stayed at. The kids were so upset about being told they had fake, untradeable pins.

Needless to say, my friend was terribly embarrassed. She and her disappointed kids took all the Sedesma pins off their lanyards. She put them into a ziploc baggie. After the kids had no Sedesma pins on their lanyards the CMs were friendly and more than happy to trade.

Just letting people know what happened to my friend. She's not a really big collector. She just wanted to have something fun for the kids to do. Now she wasted all that money on pins that can't be traded.

Sedesma are legal disney pins, the problem is that they are lower quality than most. There are many issues with trading them, unfortunately. How many pins does she have left (sedesma)? I may be able to work a bulk swap with her.

Ashley

I just bought a lot of 20 pins on ebay and 18 of them say Disney and sedesmasa on them. I had never heard of sedesmasa before but the pins looked cheap to me so I ran to the board here and found this thread. Now I'm worried too. Did the seller rip me off?
I bought them for fun trading as well and now I'd be worried to put them on my lanyard.
Should I contact the seller or are these perfectly legal to sell and it was my own naivity in not asking the right questions?
Thanks

The rules toward the sedesma pins are apparently changing. Disneyland already won't accept them. They're a less fine quality metal. I don't know that they have enamel on them as much as they're painted.

They're legal to sell, and the seller may not know of the changes that are happening.

Ashley

Do you think it is reasonable to request a refund (less the cost of shipping to and from)?
I know I'm not going to trade them since I am worried about them.

You can ask.
I agree with Ashley.
They're legal to sell, and the seller may not know of the changes that are happening.
And my guess is some CMs will accept them. Some won't. (From what is explained here.)

Hi Everyone,

I was the one that sold the pins on Ebay to JEANMR1 and I told her that I would take them back if she was worried about them (before I ever saw the post). The last two times we went on the Disney Cruise I purchased Sedesma pins from a guy on eBay to trade and we traded them in DTD before the cruise and on the cruise with no problems. This year in preparation for the trip I contacted the guy and he offered to sell me a lot of pins for a good price and I decided to buy them and sell the ones that I didn't need to pay for the pins that my kids would trade and also to buy a few more for the kids collection.

I sold about 850 pins and had two people that weren't happy. One was JEANMR1 and I told her that I would refund her money and I am happy to do so if she is worried about the pins, she doesn't need to worry. The other person appeared to be a seasoned pin collector and although I did return her money I wasn't as happy to do that. Wouldn't you think that someone who collected pins for several years would realize that for 1.99 a pin you aren't going to get 30 Artist Choice and LE pins? The pins were as described in all of the auctions and there was a picture of the actual pins.

I know there are people that post here on ocassion that have deemed themselfs the "pin ethics police" and think that it is not right for someone to trade a cheap pin for a good pin. They think this is not in the Disney spirit. I am sure they are the same 40 something men and women that have run over my 3 years old girl or pushed their way in front of her for fear she would trade for the LE2500 pin of Stitch upside down, with a backwards guitar, etc. that they had to have. Anyone who thinks it isn't right to trade these cheap pins has probably never known the horror of a 3 year old wanting to trade the 12.00 pin she just made 10 minutes ago for a pin of Slinky the Dog and for this reason I buy my kids these inexpensive pins and they can trade for whatever makes them happy. Isn't that the point of trading?

In regards to some at Disney not wanting to trade for these pins that appears to be a little hippocritical to me. The pins are licenced Disney product and therefore Disney would collect a royalty on the pins so therefore are they saying these pins are too cheap for us to accept in trade but not cheap enough we won't put our name on them and collect money everytime one is sold.

In my opinion you need to decide if you want to pay 4.00 or more for a pin and be sure everytime you wanted to trade you could or you could pay less than 2.00 a pin and possibly get turned down once in a while. I also think that only bad news gets posted. Look how many Sedesma pins are sold on Ebay. Probably hundreds everyday. I am sure that the only people that post are the people that have problems not the ones that buy inexpensive pins, trade them and have no problems.

Mike

I'm the original poster.

Not everyone knows the value of pins.

I do know that my friend bought these pins on eBay from a seller who didn't mention anywhere that these pins were fake. They just said the pins had a Disney logo on it. Not everyone knows what Sedesma pins even mean.

I feel guilty because it was my showing my friend the pins I bought from cheappins back in Feb. that got her kids anxious to pin trade on their recent vacation. She turned to ebay to try to get some pins for her kids to trade because they were leaving for vacation shortly.

These kids had no idea what pins were worth. All they knew was what they wanted to trade. One was looking for Mickey pins. The other was looking for pins with cats or princesses. The only pins these kids have ever seen were mine and the ones they bought from ebay.

She spent a nice amount on these pins thinking she was getting real pins. Some were real (she got a tiny chipmunk pin, Buzz Lightyear pin, some pig pin, and a couple of state pins). The rest were Sedesma, and she didn't know the difference. The word Sedesma, Spain or Fake were nowhere in the listing.

It wasn't until several CMs told her these pins were fake did she know. One CM was nice enough to show her which pins were real, but no one would trade. She said her kids tried several times.

I posted this because I wanted people to be aware that at WDW and at my friend's resort no one would touch Sedesma pins.

I wouldn't want any family to have to go through what my friend and her family did. Why spend any money on Sedesma pins unless you collect them? If you plan to trade those Sedesma pins then just be aware that you may not be able to trade them.

Only bad news is posted?? Hmm. I think it's worthy to tell people that WDW may not take Sedesma pins.

I'd rather spend a dollar or two more on a real pin then to spend money on junk. However, not everyone knows that Sedesma pins are NOT considered true Disney pins at many WDW places.

I just feel badly for those families who buy Sedesma pins thinking their kids would have a great trading experience at Disney only to be told their pins are fake and are made to feel like they tried to pull a fast one over on CMs.

That's all I have to say about that. Just be careful if you do decide to buy Sedesma. I know I won't be getting any. Why waste the money?

Fake? When did Sedesma pins become fakes? If you search Pinpics you will find hundreds of Sedesma pins listed in the data base as Disney Pins not fakes. You will also find many people that have them as "wants". You said that Sedesma wasn't listed in the auction and then also said that she didn't know what Sedesma pins were so why would it matter if it was listed in the auction? I wouldn't have expected someone to list them as fake because they aren't.

I didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with you posting the information but what I meant was I don't think you would have made a post with the title "WDW traded for my friend's Sedesma pins". People generally don't post when things go as planned.

Mike

Is there any way to know before receiving pins if they are Sedesma or not? I haven't ever heard of these pins. I would hate to invest a lot of money, only to find out that we can't trade them? Thanks. Debby

disneysnowflake

thank you for posting this about the sedesma pins...I for one had never heard of them before and would have had no clue, but now I know that if buying pins off of ebay to make sure that they are not sedesma...

as for them being fake or not even if they are "disney" pins they still are no better than fakes if disney will not accept them as traders ... and I am with the other poster I would much rather pay 4.00 a pin and be guaranteed to be able to trade any and all of them I want than to pay 2.00 a pin and maybe be able to trade them... lets see 10 pins @ 4.00 each all tradeable =4.00 per tradeable pin... 10 pins at 2.00 each with say 5 tradeables =4.00 per tradeable pin .... so no savings and only half the pins to trade...:mad:

again thank you disneysnowflake and others for the warning about these sedesma pins.

Agree that I have never heard of Sedesma pins as being fake. :confused:
They are licensed by Disney to produce pins, as far as I know. And until just this thread started, I was not aware they were not tradable at WDW. And I still don't know that from a personal standpoint.
I much rather see Sedesma than some of the other pins (even non-Disney pins) I see on lanyards.
I have put a few on lanyards, just as I have traded for them from lanyards.
It is obvious Sedesma pins are a cheaper pin. But if it is a theme I collect, I don't care.:confused3

Sedesma pins are smaller (as most European pins use to be), a black metal, and painted -- rather than fake or real cloisonné.

And Hi Mike!! :wave2: (from an ex-Omahan) ;)

Frankly, Disney has no business claiming they are not tradable. They meet all of the rules for tradability (they are metal, they are officially licensed, they are not epoxy coated).

I know plenty of people that trade Sedesmas.

Also, it would be pretty stupid for Disney to not accept Sedesmas. If they force traders out of trading because it becomes too expsnsive of a hobby (it already is because even Sedesma traders BUY pins at WDW/DL all the time). They also keep the excitement alive and they are the ones that pay extra money for all of the events and what-not. For Disney to take such a hard-line stand simply because they are leaving a dollar or two on the table would be quite DUMB.

Granted, it wouldn't be the first time recently that Disney management has made short-sited decision to try and squeak an extra dollar out of their guests, so nothing would surprise me.

Disclosure: I have not traded Sedesma pins (and frankly felt guilty trading state pins that I picked up for cheap off of Deals until I realized that I wanted to complete MY collection and realized how many other people wanted them as well...recently a complete set sold on eBay for around $350). I have some that I plan to trade the next time I go and I also have some that I plan to keep in my collection. Using the same logic about the state pins, surely there are some that others want as well. (for example, I have a complete set of Tink Sedesmas, I'm not collecting Tink but plenty of people are and many people would want them)

Mike
I do appreciate you refunding the purchase of the pins. As I said, I had never heard of Sedemsa until I saw the back of the pins and came onto the board here. I had never been to this part of the board until then as I just like to have a couple of pins to pass the time while in WDW.
I do feel, though, that auctions should state if the pins are sedesma in the description of the item. In the future, if I buy pins on ebay, I'll make sure to ask the seller that question first.
It sounds like I would probably be able to trade them with most cm's. However, I would worry about it every time I asked one and that isn't worth it to me.
Again, thanks for taking the return - they should arrive within a couple of days.
Jean/Debbie

I also had problems trading some of these pins while at the parks in May 04. Frequently the CM would take the pin and check with another CM to see if it was okay to trade. I even had some who refused to take them - it was very embarrassing. I purchased them off e-Bay and did not realize that there were CHEAP pins out there. I have since learned to look at the pictures very carefully because there seems to be alot of repetition in the cheap pins. I have learned which ones are the cheaper ones - there are alot of the same sets out there being sold. One lesson learned the hard way - it was no fun holding my breath everytime I went to trade a cheap pin, not knowing whether it would be a hassle or not.

My strong recommendation would be to stay away from these pins at all costs. If in doubt, send the eBay seller a question prior to bidding and ask if these are the cheap ones.
:wave: :wave:

if you are unsure of the origin of a pin, don't forget to check Pinpics.com.
Even ask the seller for the Pinpics # of the pin.

Sedesma pins are official.If you want to trade them at the parks, you should print the Sedesma web page, where it says that they have the Disney license.Also print some of the Pinpics pages, and show the print outs to any staff that do not want to swap.

Sedesma pins are official.If you want to trade them at the parks, you should print the Sedesma web page, where it says that they have the Disney license.Also print some of the Pinpics pages, and show the print outs to any staff that do not want to swap.

this seeems like a lot of trouble to go through to still be a maybe on trading... seems to me like the easiest thing would be to avoid getting them and make sure that people know the chance they are taking with them... if you want them to collect or what not then great but I personally will avoid them like the plague as far as for trading

Robert

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter