WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanksgiving week, so I guess a super busy week. So Space 220 and the Rose and Crown Fireworks are booked. I have always wanted to see the transformation, so that is why we are going.

Yes, I am hoping for the DAS changes to happen in October as it seems like it would be a great way to hit a few more attractions with the oxygen timeline always looming.

Thanksgiving week, so I guess a super busy week. So Space 220 and the Rose and Crown Fireworks are booked. I have always wanted to see the transformation, so that is why we are going.

Yes, I am hoping for the DAS changes to happen in October as it seems like it would be a great way to hit a few more attractions with the oxygen timeline always looming.
I'm going the same week. I, too, am hoping the new DAS system starts this month.

As for reservations, my friend and I are doing Yak and Yeti, 50s Prime Time Cafe, and the lightsaber.

These are links to the Disney website page about changes to DAS.
Disney website updated DAS information
Disney DAS FAQs

Link to Disney Genie info
Disney Blog announcing Disney Genie

DAS will still exist pretty much in the same form as present.
You register for DAS and then can get one Return Time at a time at the park (time based on the current Standby Wait time).

The changes include:
- guests can register for DAS 2-30 days ahead of time by video chat
- guests who registered ahead of time can also make 2 DAS Advance selections
- DAS Return Times can be made/deleted or modified in person at attractions or on the new GENIE part of the My Disney Experience App

EDITED TO ADD:
The DAS information is talking about 2 different and SEPARATE things.
DAS Advance selections:
- can be selected when guests register for DAS using live video chat registration 2-30 days before the visit
- up to 2 DAS Advance selections can be made; the website says ‘if available’. The meaning has not been specified; it could be specific attractions are available or only certain times, or both
- DAS Advance selections will start at a specific time and have a 1 hour window of time to be used.
- Guests can’t make DAS Advance on the day of visit OR IF registering for DAS at one of the Theme Parks
- FROM EVERYTHING WE KNOW, Guests don’t need to use their DAS Advance selections before they get a DAS Return Time

DAS Return Times
- are separate from DAS Advance selections; FROM EVERYTHING WE KNOW, guests can make a DAS Return Time without using DAS Advance selections
- work the same way as DAS Return Times worked previously
- Guests using DAS obtain DAS Return Times the day of visit at a park; the Return Time can be made by the DAS user or any other member of their party linked to DAS
- Guests using DAS can have only 1 active DAS Return Time at a time
- DAS Return Time is based on the current wait in the Standby (regular) line
- DAS Return Time doesn’t expire. A guest can enter the attraction any time after the Return Time begins
- Return Time is active until it’s used, cancelled or until the park closes
- Once DAS Return Time has been used or cancelled, another DAS Return Time can be made

The 3 major changes to DAS:
- REGISTRATION
Guests can choose to register for DAS in a live video registration 2 - 30 days before their visit OR register at Guest Relations at a Theme Park (the previous only way to register)
- DAS ADVANCE SELECTIONS
Guests registering by live video registration are able to make DAS Advance selections, which are separate from DAS Return Times.
Guests registering for DAS in the parks are not eligible for DAS Advance Selections
- MAKING DAS RETURN TIMES
Guests registered for DAS or a member of their party will be able to make DAS Return Times using the My Disney Experience app OR by going to the attraction visiting in park kiosks or Guest Experience locations (the previous way)

i'm completely confused..

i'm completely confused..
Have you used DAS before?
if not, the basic of DAS is that it allows you to wait outside of the lines. You get a Return Time that is based on the current wait time in the regular standby line. once the Return Time has come, you return to the attraction and can ride with a short wait. Guests using DAS can only have one Return Time at a time,

If you have used DAS, the biggest difference will be that you can get a Return Time yourself using the My Disney Experience app instead of needing to go to the attraction or a Guest Services umbrella.
The other change is that, once Genie begins, guests will be able to register for DAS either in person at the parks (the present way) or by a video visit before arriving.

Have you used DAS before?
if not, the basic of DAS is that it allows you to wait outside of the lines. You get a Return Time that is based on the current wait time in the regular standby line. once the Return Time has come, you return to the attraction and can ride with a short wait. Guests using DAS can only have one Return Time at a time,

If you have used DAS, the biggest difference will be that you can get a Return Time yourself using the My Disney Experience app instead of needing to go to the attraction or a Guest Services umbrella.
The other change is that, once Genie begins, guests will be able to register for DAS either in person at the parks (the present way) or by a video visit before arriving.

yes we've used DAS...
it's been helpful when i wasn't feeling well and just couldn't wait in line (I rested elsewhere)
it sound like they've improved it, but i guess we'll all find out when they start it..
have they started it yet?

I spoke to someone at DAS services on the phone, and she told me that for our trip 10-27-11-02 to check in at Guest Services at the front of any park. When I asked her about the new system with the phone app and the video call, she replied that it would most likely not put into effect until next year. She seemed confident, it would not be available by the time of our trip.

And considering there is no Genie + on Oct. 4th, and no announcement of it's upcoming release date, I think I believe her.

Do we know yet if DAS will cover the IA$ rides, like 7D?
Attractions that have a posted Standby Wait time s be available for DAS Return Times - I do t have the screenshots any more, but the video introducing Genie and Genie + showed a Return Time and a Lightning Lane available time for those.

Disney has posted on their Parks blog that Genie will be launching on October 19.
Disney Genie launching

i have not seen anything about when DAS changes will roll out, but the major one before virtual video DAS registration becomes available will be the ability to reserve DAS Return Times in the My Disney Experience app. The previous ways of obtaining DAS Return Times will continue.

Attractions that have a posted Standby Wait time s be available for DAS Return Times - I do t have the screenshots any more, but the video introducing Genie and Genie + showed a Return Time and a Lightning Lane available time for those.

Disney has posted on their Parks blog that Genie will be launching on October 19.
Disney Genie launching

i have not seen anything about when DAS changes will roll out, but the major one before virtual video DAS registration becomes available will be the ability to reserve DAS Return Times in the My Disney Experience app. The previous ways of obtaining DAS Return Times will continue.

So DAS is going to include 7D, RotR etc? Because everyone uses the Lightning Lane (DAS, GP+ and Individual Attraction Pass holders). Rides that used to be included for FP+ no longer are, which is why I'm wondering about DAS.

But those rides all have a standby line with a wait time posted. The only difference between standing in the standby line and getting a DAS is that you don't have to wait in the line, you wait somewhere else. It sounds as if the only one that will not be eligible for a DAS is Remy.

This is my understanding, and if it is not correct, please someone correct it.

But those rides all have a standby line with a wait time posted. The only difference between standing in the standby line and getting a DAS is that you don't have to wait in the line, you wait somewhere else. It sounds as if the only one that will not be eligible for a DAS is Remy.

This is my understanding, and if it is not correct, please someone correct it.

Yes, I understand all of that. However, it has always been that only rides that were eligible for FP+ were eligible for DAS. So, if FP+ wasn't offered, neither was DAS. Which is why I'm wondering if that is still going to be the rule.

i have not seen anything about when DAS changes will roll out,
CM inside at GS on 9/24 told me they were just going to start their training on the new system the next week.

Told that any DAS granted prior would still be valid for the normal 60 day period if an APH.

Mentioned that unless DAS was issued after a video chat, there would be no ability to book the ‘new’ return time reservations pre trip.

Yes, I understand all of that. However, it has always been that only rides that were eligible for FP+ were eligible for DAS. So, if FP+ wasn't offered, neither was DAS. Which is why I'm wondering if that is still going to be the rule.

That was never the case. Every single ride is and has always been eligible to get a return time.

I'm feeling a little scared. I finally got comfortable with DAS, and I have a trip scheduled in January with my 2 grandsons (8 and 11). My youngest grandson also would qualify for DAS, but if I have it, the whole party is included, correct? He's having a really hard time dealing with his issues, which is one of the reasons we're going to the Happiest Place on Earth, but I'm nervous about the not-knowing.
Since I have an AP voucher, I can activate it before I take them I guess and see how it all works.

it has always been that only rides that were eligible for FP+ were eligible for DAS. So, if FP+ wasn't offered, neither was DAS. Which is why I'm wondering if that is still going to be the rule.
Attractions with a posted standby time are/were eligible for DAS. At WDW, pretty much all rides eventually offered FP+ but for the few that didn't one could still get a DAS return time. Maybe you are thinking of character meets -- only those with FP+ (which also had a posted standby time) were eligible for DAS; character meets without a set location and therefore no posted standby or FP+ did not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter