WDW Servers average $76,000 per year!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say that the whole topic of this thread implies the reasoning that servers make more than enough money at WDW so why tip them what some may consider an outrageous amount (even at 15%)? It may be indirect, but the implied notion is still there. It was an incorrect assumption but as happens in media or anywhere else, the sound bite is much more powerful (and easier) than actually needing to support the claim you are making.

Sometimes, I do not understand parts of the whole tipping debate because there really should not be much of a debate. 15-18% is the standard that is commonly accepted by society for good service. Regardless of how much the server makes per year or anything else beyond the actual service received. If someone wants to tip above that, that is obviously optional. But that is the MINIMUM that society expects the tip to be. If someone does not want to abide by the rules of society, they should probably not participate in the activities which would put them in that position in the first place.
Thank you!!

And by the way, any point that a chef should make more than a server or works harder than a server really isn't a point at all, its more of an opinion.

Just as you, have an opinion. SO do I.. It still is valid in my opinion, as it pertains to the subject. Of just how much a server can make.

I see, this is a moot subject. As some do not wish to recognize the facts that disney servers, are not "poor servers" by any stretch of the part time world. No matter how you slice it, that fact still remains.

Question, who started the whole shinanigans about servers working so hard, and making so little in Disney, anyway?

As for the poster who said the "good" chefs make good money. Is it anywhere close to how much you make? Are they working part time, or allowed full time employment?

I would say that the whole topic of this thread implies the reasoning that servers make more than enough money at WDW so why tip them what some may consider an outrageous amount (even at 15%)? It may be indirect, but the implied notion is still there. It was an incorrect assumption but as happens in media or anywhere else, the sound bite is much more powerful (and easier) than actually needing to support the claim you are making.

Sometimes, I do not understand parts of the whole tipping debate because there really should not be much of a debate. 15-18% is the standard that is commonly accepted by society for good service. Regardless of how much the server makes per year or anything else beyond the actual service received. If someone wants to tip above that, that is obviously optional. But that is the MINIMUM that society expects the tip to be. If someone does not want to abide by the rules of society, they should probably not participate in the activities which would put them in that position in the first place.

Ok, well I am not implying that, at all.

But, as Pete, said earlier, it is being implied by those who choose to tip more than the standard. Doing so because, of this "poor server" myth. Then, getting downright, sensitive,touchy, and testy, that others choose to tip less than them.

Anyway, I am done. I have to start getting ready for my trip to Baltimore, and I have alot of errands to do before take off. You disser's, have a good one!:thumbsup2

Sometimes, I do not understand parts of the whole tipping debate because there really should not be much of a debate. 15-18% is the standard that is commonly accepted by society for good service.

I totally agree with you. But like I keep saying, generally on the DIS that standard is not so commonly accepted.

Bicker thank you for correcting my grammar. Only you Bicker. Nothing gets pass you. :goodvibes

I don't believe that servers in WDW make 76k a year. From what I have read the managers don't even make that kind of money.

Is anyone else tired of the threads about tipping? Just curious. Tip, don't tip. 15,18,20%. Tipping is a very personal decision and it is up to the customer to tip what they feel comfortable with.

From now on, any thread with "tip" in the title, I am bypassing :)

me too. getting stressed out from the arguing. :)

My point is. They still make a good salary.
Well, no, they don't. A salary is a guaranteed wage. A server's salary, frankly, stinks. When you consider the whims and outside influences to which a server's earnings are subject - including, but in NO way limited to, bad weather, poor economy, high gas prices, diners who don't tip period - the server really can't count on earning anywhere near this $76,000 "average".

Stinky Pete said:
I read just about all the tipping threads and I don't recall anyone ever using that reasoning.
There's at least one person on one of these threads who fully intends to tip no more than $5 per meal, period.

What I do recall is people implying that the tip should be based on a minimum of 20% of the bill because, as I said before "they work so hard and they make so little money." Again, trying to guilt others into tipping more than the standard which is generally regarded at 15% +.
And again, I will say - I tip 20% because I tip 20%. If you dine with me, we tip at least 20%. If you don't dine with me, I don't actually give a mouse's nose what percent you tip.

Just as you, have an opinion. SO do I.. It still is valid in my opinion, as it pertains to the subject. Of just how much a server can make.
No. It is NOT your business "how much a server can make", just as it is not the server's business how much you can make.

Theres no way a waiter ANYWHERE makes $76K a year unless theyre waiting on the king of spain.

Sorry to rain on your parade......

But about 15 years ago I waited tables while in college. Every summer I went to Myrtle Beach and waited tables....usually from 4 in the afternoon until midnight or later. On average I made $400 and on occasion as much as $500 per night. (mostly tax free wink wink)

I was there for 16 weeks working 6 nights a week and sometimes lunch. I made almost $35,000 that summer. I worked my rear end off (usually 70 to 80 hours a week) and basically all I did was work and sleep.

If you prorate those numbers (yeah I know the beach is not busy year around) I would have made over $100,000. It was sweet because I stayed at my parent's condo for free and Mom was so worried about me that every week she brought food to make sure I was not living on Mickey Dees.

With the money I covered most of my final year of college. Paid my car off and had a nice "beer fund for the senior year"

I am sure that most profession waiters in high end restaurants are easily making $300 a night at WDW. Do the math and that come to $75K with no problem.

Theres no way a waiter ANYWHERE makes $76K a year unless theyre waiting on the king of spain.

I think it depends on where the server works, like what kind of place and where it is located.

I certainly don't make THAT kind of money but I do fare well waitressing. Usually what I make each week is fairly consistent but I did have one amazing week a few weeks ago where I brought home 1200 for the week..which consists of 4 shifts.

BUT it was a very strange week indeed. There were lots of factors involved, like the only other restaurant in the area was on vacation, it was spring vacation week, and it is a tourist town with lots of stuff going on that week.

So that is a very atypical week but a very good one. No doubt a larger and more consistently busy restaurant could yield bigger results.

From what I have read the managers don't even make that kind of money.

You are correct. My friend is and has been a manager for 8 years at WDW restaurants (including signature dining venues) and certainly doesn't make that kind of money!

I think the point is that servers are not generally allowed to work 40 hours a week or any hours per week for which they would be considered full time employees with benefits. It is not a choice. A lot of servers I have spoken to have two jobs because neither one will give them full-time hours. They are not working part-time because it is so lucrative.

This is true, we are not allowed to work over a certain amount of hours in a certain amount of time. We could work 40 hours for a few weeks straight, but it has to even out in the end. We actually get "flagged" and can't work any more if we exceed a certain amount.

As far as working two jobs, most servers do. My manager actually works a second job serving!!

There are a lot of FT servers, but they are in the "good" jobs which is buffets and dinner shows where the tips are guaranteed. Those jobs are based on seniority. Next time you eat at a buffet ask them how long they have been there, there is a lady that works at 1900 Park Fare that has been there since they opened WDW!!!

Those servers are easily pulling in $76,000 if not more. However, that is not the norm for the average server!

BTW all of you 20% tippers and you 5$ tippers, you all get the same service from me, because it is true that the good tips offset the bad. I have a good attitude (can't speak for anyone else) and I figure that if you need that money more than me, so be it.

Top 10 List About Servers and Tipping:

10. Servers who work hard, get enough hours, and work in the right places can make a decent, often even a good living.

9. Waiting tables is hard work -- you must be fast, accurate, carry very heavy trays of food, deal with sometimes difficult to please or ungrateful customers.

8. This does not discount that there are other professions that are also hard work -- and they do not get tips. But they are also paid at least minimum wage, often much more.

7. Waiting tables is unique in that it is the only job the Federal government allows to be paid a token base wage of $2.13/hour.

6. The Federal government also assumes that servers will be tipped the rest of their income and requires them to pay taxes on their projected tips -- whether or not they actually receive them.

5. Whether or not we like the tipping system, that's the way in works in America, and it's not going to change without an act of Congress -- literally.

4. It appears that many or most servers like the tipping system, because if they are very good at what they do, they can make good money with tips.

3. Whether or not people like to tip or resent tipping, it is considered a breach of etiquette and very bad form to stiff or grossly under-tip a server if they have provided adequate service.

2. Last year, lots of people complained that the automatic gratuity in the DDP made servers lazy and resulted in poor service. This year, the big complaint is that the tip is no longer included, and people are having to dig in their own pockets to pay gratuities :laughing:

And the number one fact about Servers and Tipping:

1. No, Disney servers do NOT average $76,000/year. They might if they could actually get full time schedules (which several people have verified that average Disney servers work part time) and if every guest tipped at least 18% (which several posters have stated they don't).

Top 10 List About Servers and Tipping:

10. Servers who work hard, get enough hours, and work in the right places can make a decent, often even a good living.

9. Waiting tables is hard work -- you must be fast, accurate, carry very heavy trays of food, deal with sometimes difficult to please or ungrateful customers.

8. This does not discount that there are other professions that are also hard work -- and they do not get tips. But they are also paid at least minimum wage, often much more.

7. Waiting tables is unique in that it is the only job the Federal government allows to be paid a token base wage of $2.13/hour.

6. The Federal government also assumes that servers will be tipped the rest of their income and requires them to pay taxes on their projected tips -- whether or not they actually receive them.

5. Whether or not we like the tipping system, that's the way in works in America, and it's not going to change without an act of Congress -- literally.

4. It appears that many or most servers like the tipping system, because if they are very good at what they do, they can make good money with tips.

3. Whether or not people like to tip or resent tipping, it is considered a breach of etiquette and very bad form to stiff or grossly under-tip a server if they have provided adequate service.

2. Last year, lots of people complained that the automatic gratuity in the DDP made servers lazy and resulted in poor service. This year, the big complaint is that the tip is no longer included, and people are having to dig in their own pockets to pay gratuities :laughing:

And the number one fact about Servers and Tipping:

1. No, Disney servers do NOT average $76,000/year. They might if they could actually get full time schedules (which several people have verified that average Disney servers work part time) and if every guest tipped at least 18% (which several posters have stated they don't).
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

If, for some reason, servers make $76,000 per year (which I highly doubt, but let's just say they do), it's none of my business and props to them.

There are a lot of FT servers, but they are in the "good" jobs which is buffets and dinner shows where the tips are guaranteed. Those jobs are based on seniority. Next time you eat at a buffet ask them how long they have been there, there is a lady that works at 1900 Park Fare that has been there since they opened WDW!!!

Those servers are easily pulling in $76,000 if not more. However, that is not the norm for the average server!

BTW all of you 20% tippers and you 5$ tippers, you all get the same service from me, because it is true that the good tips offset the bad. I have a good attitude (can't speak for anyone else) and I figure that if you need that money more than me, so be it.

You sound like a very nice person and I hope we get you on our next vacation! Keep up the attitude you have going on here and YOU will be one of those full time servers that make that $76,000+ a year! If you go in and do your job well you get rewarded! Most people do tip 20% so a lot has to do with the server and how they treat their tables. Sounds like you know exactly what to do to make the best tip! :goodvibes

If you could work at any WDW restaurant which one would you choose? I am a little surprised that the ones bringing in the $76,000+ are the buffet servers. You'd think their averages would be the lowest judging from peoples view on buffet tipping. Personally I think they do just as much. Refilling the drinks and removing dirty dishes are the two things most important to me. :hug:

Sorry to rain on your parade......

But about 15 years ago I waited tables while in college. Every summer I went to Myrtle Beach and waited tables....usually from 4 in the afternoon until midnight or later. On average I made $400 and on occasion as much as $500 per night. (mostly tax free wink wink)

I was there for 16 weeks working 6 nights a week and sometimes lunch. I made almost $35,000 that summer. I worked my rear end off (usually 70 to 80 hours a week) and basically all I did was work and sleep.

If you prorate those numbers (yeah I know the beach is not busy year around) I would have made over $100,000. It was sweet because I stayed at my parent's condo for free and Mom was so worried about me that every week she brought food to make sure I was not living on Mickey Dees.

With the money I covered most of my final year of college. Paid my car off and had a nice "beer fund for the senior year"

I am sure that most profession waiters in high end restaurants are easily making $300 a night at WDW. Do the math and that come to $75K with no problem.

Where did you wait tables at? I waited tables at Hard Rock for about three years...'95-'97...'98. I made a killing too! Especially during the Summer! I would claim $50,000 a year! I totally believe this statement to be accurate...my sales at HRC for a whole day would be like two turns at a sit down WDW rest! We're talking 10-15 years ago and a menu that was typically 50% less! I know a lot of servers and they still make a killing here!

I do want to make it clear... that is NOT a lot of money in Florida where the cost of living is extremely high.
To someone in middle America that may seem like a fortune for wait staff but if you look at the cost of living ... it is really impossible to live in Florida for under 50K. and that is in the slums and slim pickings kind of living....

I haven't read the whole thread, but I just wanted to note- that REALLY depends on what part of Florida you live in. Seriously. We don't make quite $50K combined and manage to live almost completely debt free and go to Disney. And not in the slums, either. :goodvibes

I think the poor CM's in the hot Goofy suites are making the 16k. How can we tip them these people really need something better the $8 an hour they get? I guess with Pooh Bear you can leave some ones in his honey pot. The wait staff and the maid staff are probably the only ones really getting the tips.

If you could work at any WDW restaurant which one would you choose? I am a little surprised that the ones bringing in the $76,000+ are the buffet servers. You'd think their averages would be the lowest judging from peoples view on buffet tipping. Personally I think they do just as much. Refilling the drinks and removing dirty dishes are the two things most important to me. :hug:

i'm guessing it's because they have twice as many tables at any given time and do not have to "bus out" or split tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter