WDW, lift of buses did not work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windjammermay

Earning My Ears
Hi all
Got in last night from Disney. It was pretty awesome of a trip and I loved the parks. I had a BAD problem with lifts on the buses not working. I got left out in the sun up to 2 hours waiting for a bus with a lift that worked. I blew my cookies in a very pretty bush, I hope I did not kill it. The sun and heat was too much be left out in. I got very sick.

I had several inncodentes with being left behind with other wheelchair people. My sister was so upset she called quite a few times about the problem. They said they would take care of it but they DID NOT because it was every day I had a problem with bus lifts that did not work, I guess you can not fix stupid. They certainly have it on record about complaints of VERY VERY bad bus service. For three day in a row I did not get back to my resort until about 12 midnight because of transportation issue.

Many of the bathrooms were not accessible to wheelchair users. The ones that were, I had to leave the bathroom door open to fit my chair half way in the door. The food courts were not accessible either. At Sports I could reach many places on the fountain area except for the sugar and condoments. Someone kept pushing them back out of reach. I did look around for help but many time there was not one available. I just wanted coffee :mad: or even water! I was in a W/C accessible room with roll in shower but left marks on the door of the room becuase of getting in and out of the room. It was not and easy task, the door was way to heavy.

There are some of use that use our chairs daily unlike the renters that can get up out of their rented scooters to get things or walk around easily. Many of the rides could not accomidate my STANDARD 32x48 electric chair. I did talk with some that were chair users, NOT renters, and they were finding the same problems.

The only resort I found to be resonablely accessible was Sports. The others were just too difficult to get to the fountain in the food courts. I do plan on writing some thing on the wheelchair boards about this problem with accessability issues and why haven't WDW could not or would not comply. The first time it happened it was ok but after several repeated times that was just them that did not want to do anything. I did not have the freedom to go to many parks becuase of this problem with transport and the time spent trying to deal with transport.

You scooter renters,,,,,,,I was ashamed to see so many very nasty and rude drivers out there. You give use real disabled chair users a bad name. :mad:

I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the transportation. My sister was in an ECV during our last trip and we had a very unsafe situation arise with a lift. We complained to the manager of ASMu, who had the director of transportation call us to dicuss our issue. He said that no bus should be on the route that didn't have a working lift. We only had that happen one time, and the bus driver of the bus with the broken lift called another driver and got a working one there fairly quickly.

I'm sorry to hear that you ran into so many accessibility issues.

Hi all
You scooter renters,,,,,,,I was ashamed to see so many very nasty and rude drivers out there. You give use real disabled chair users a bad name. :mad:

I am sorry you had a bad experience. You should definitely file a written complaint. However, to seperate those people whose disabilities only require and ECV at intervals as being described as above; that is very divisive. I have an auto immune condition. I don't need an ECV everyday, but my need for one when required is very real. I'm sure that there were some people walking who were rude, some people driving ECV's who were rude, and some people with power chairs who were rude. Mode of mobility does not determine social skills. All of us with mobility issues (both with and without permanent wheels) need to work together to advocate for accessibility.

Keep contacting WDW and ask for someone higher up in management each time you call until you get a reasonable and effective response. If a manager says they cannot give you some one higher up gut their name so you can include it in a letter. Always request a follow up call to specify how the complaint was resolved

Unfortunately often it takes being persistent to get to a level where someone will handle if effectively.

When you said you were left behind with others with disabilities I assume that the bus continued on without loading any guests since that is the policy, which WDW has chosen to use. If you see additional problems document the time and bus # and if you can take a picture of the situation since this is helpful once you find someone who wants to correct the issue.

bookwormde

I am sorry you had a bad experience. You should definitely file a written complaint. However, to seperate those people whose disabilities only require and ECV at intervals as being described as above; that is very divisive. I have an auto immune condition. I don't need an ECV everyday, but my need for one when required is very real. I'm sure that there were some people walking who were rude, some people driving ECV's who were rude, and some people with power chairs who were rude. Mode of mobility does not determine social skills. All of us with mobility issues (both with and without permanent wheels) need to work together to advocate for accessibility.

Very true, a means of mobility does not determine social skills. I am not trying to take away any of your disability issues and how important they are to you or how blessed that you can ambulate. Nor am I trying to think light of your pain of being disabled but there is a difference with people that do use these devices as the only means of getting around. Be happy for the walking you do have. I am sure you are not a person that would be rude. It is different to be stuck in a chair and with accessability issues it can becomes an iron cage. If you get stuck some were you can just get up and walk away from the situation, some people can not. "(both with and without permanent wheels)". There is a difference. I some how exspected that WDW was HP friendly for people with permanent wheels. The need to work to advocate accessibility is a very good point.

bookwormde: I did get time, location, and bus numbers that were broken. I did address it with WDW. I will contunue to do so. I am even hoping some one from WDW would read this problems that was exsperianced and will be seen by them. Talk with me Dis. you need to revamp your ADA arcitectual designs title III,,,,,,,,,,and for goodness sake Dis fix your bathrooms so I don't have to leave the stall doors open while in use.

Many of the bathrooms were not accessible to wheelchair users. The ones that were, I had to leave the bathroom door open to fit my chair half way in the door.

Did you try the companion bathrooms? That might be a better choice in the future, as they are much larger than a HC stall in the mainstream bathroom.

The “acceptable” solutions that were derived from Title III are minimum requirements and even at that are marginally effective in many situations. I have done a lot of ADA design work and I never do the minimum except in historical buildings where there is no other choice. If the accommodations at WDW are not working then hopefully they will address the issues.

Thank you for taking the time to bring it to WDW’s attention, this is likely the only way that these issues will improve.

bookwormde

There are some of use that use our chairs daily unlike the renters that can get up out of their rented scooters to get things or walk around easily. Many of the rides could not accomidate my STANDARD 32x48 electric chair. I did talk with some that were chair users, NOT renters, and they were finding the same problems.

/QUOTE]

Most ride vehicles cannot handle the weight of an electric chair - no matter what the size it is. In these occasions, WDW has some attractions that offer a manual wheelchair to transfer, etc. There are icons on the park maps that show the procedures for each attracton, IIRC.

Hi all
Got in last night from Disney. It was pretty awesome of a trip and I loved the parks. I had a BAD problem with lifts on the buses not working. I got left out in the sun up to 2 hours waiting for a bus with a lift that worked. I blew my cookies in a very pretty bush, I hope I did not kill it. The sun and heat was too much be left out in. I got very sick.

That is terrible! Some ppl have had problems with bus drivers who are too lazy and people-hating to lower the ramp/lift so they just say it is broken. This is completely unacceptable, of course. Keep working on getting your point made to Disney!

Many of the bathrooms were not accessible to wheelchair users. The ones that were, I had to leave the bathroom door open to fit my chair half way in the door.

Are you sure you were in an accessible stall? Some Disney restrooms have end stalls that are a bit larger than regular stalls and they may have wall bars in them (useful for ppl who can walk but need help getting up/down off the throne), but they are not actually accessible stalls (can't fit a wheelchair in them, for instance). I think there are accessible companion restrooms near these restrooms.

Many of the rides could not accomidate my STANDARD 32x48 electric chair.

That's true and it is not at all a secret - lots of literature from Disney (including the special needs pamphlets you can get while you are at the parks), these message boards, Disney-related Web sites, and books like PassPorter OpenMouse (and I think the regular PassPorter, too) have this info. on/in them. Sorry, but your not being prepared with basic information is not Disney's problem. Most rides are accessible, be it via transfer to a manual chair, transfer to a ride vehicle, or staying in your electric wheelchair.

You are not "more disabled than others". If somebody is disabled and needs help getting around the parks, why are you against them being able to have the same opportunity to go to Disney that you got? That is rude. You are not better than they are; everybody is equal. Your rude attitude is just as bad as a rude ECV user's rudeness which is just as bad as an able-bodied person's rudeness.

Some people can get around in short-walking daily life without need for a scooter, but cannot walk the literal many miles each day that it takes for a Disney trip, so they rent an ECV. Some people user an ECV at home, but don't want to risk taking it on a plane (damage, inconvenience, etc.) to their vacation destination, so they rent one from a local company there. Some people have temporary health issues that require them to use an ECV for a limited time, so they rent one instead of spending thousands of dollars for one on one vacation or for a few months while they are healing. Just like none of them knows your story, you don't know theirs, so you can't judge them.

Hi all

I'm very sorry you had this problem! Write a complaint letter about it, definately.

As said; there are multiple companion bathrooms around. They look to me to probably fit a wheelchair that one would be lying down on, but besides that a companion and some moving space. You might want to check out the maps for those and the sticky at the DISability boards. And off course the booklets available at GS.

The food courts were not accessible either. At Sports I could reach many places on the fountain area except for the sugar and condoments. Someone kept pushing them back out of reach. I did look around for help but many time there was not one available. I just wanted coffee :mad: or even water!

Haven't had those problems myself. However, I would've gone to concierge in your situation and ask to talk to a manager (preferably foodcourt manager of course) about this and see what can be done.

I was in a W/C accessible room with roll in shower but left marks on the door of the room becuase of getting in and out of the room. It was not and easy task, the door was way to heavy.

First thing, I'll probably get flamed about it but I put that one down to the combination of driving skills and functions of the chair itself. Second; you could've talked that over at the resort also. Maintance is all to willing to lower the setting of the door to such an extend it opens a lot easier and closes a looooooooooooooooot slower. If that isn't enough, they are even willing to work things out where needed to work with the fire regulations and disable the automatic closure of the door all together. I've had both done myself.

As also already said; this is very clearly communicated by WDW. It is noted on the maps where one has to transfer, there are seperate booklets available at both GS of each park and concierge of each resort, that address each ride per park and explain all about accessibility per ride. Besides that, driverskills can also make a big difference. I've got a chair that isn't the smallest. It fits on the Nemo ride for instance, in one specific way. Close to no space left once I'm in. Not everybody will be able to make that fit with the same chair.

The only resort I found to be resonablely accessible was Sports. The others were just too difficult to get to the fountain in the food courts.

While I've only stayed at CBR at the moment, I've visited other resorts. Never had a problem of reaching the fountain myself. At CBR for instance, I could park myself very easily next to the fountain and get my drink without any hard work. You might want to try different resorts and/or different ways of trying to 'tackle' the fountain.

I do plan on writing some thing on the wheelchair boards about this problem with accessability issues and why haven't WDW could not or would not comply. The first time it happened it was ok but after several repeated times that was just them that did not want to do anything. I did not have the freedom to go to many parks becuase of this problem with transport and the time spent trying to deal with transport.

Again; I'm sorry you had this experience. Do write in about it to WDW.

Excuse me? Who are you to judge others that you are the so called 'real disabled chair user'!? For all you know somebody left their chair at home (fearfull of having it damaged) or had theirs damaged during the flight over and are now using a ECV. For all you know somebody uses a manual chair in daily life but hasn't got the strength to use one at WDW and uses an ECV. Besides that; real disabled chair users? :sad2:

just because a scooter is rented does not mean that the person can get up and stroll around. a lot of people who use them every day do not wish to fly with them, and therefore rent them in FL.

I do not know what "real disabled chair users" are. i am "real disabled" but until teh last couple months did not use a chair in daily life. How did you know that they could transfer easily? if i had a rented scooter, I would not transfer to benches at fantasmic or lion king or any other show with hard backless benches - i could not sit in them.

I get that you live in your chair daily, but this kind of "chair supremacy" is very frustrating for those of us just entering life with a chair. and this attitude is why so many people are afraid to use a ECV or WC when they really need one. It's very frustrating.

BillSears is a paraplegic for over 30 years and I watch him use the system, study everything he can and then drive all over this country. You should spend some time with him and learn how people "stuck" in chairs really act and deal with the parks.

I use a scooter as I cannot make it through the day. On the 29th I walked while leaning on the wheelchair like a rollator it got me going pretty fast. By the time I got to the restaurant at home I was exhausted and crying tired and just not caring. Jose gave me half a shrimp cocktail and ice tea then let me unwind. I hurt so much. I use a scooter so I can exercise but also rest.

I have been is a very crowded Taste Pilot's Grill with my friend and the CM took my tray and made a path for me to take the scooter. I seen a CM helping a single mom with 3 toddlers and a stroller by carrying her tray. I have seen stranger help other able bodied strangers and I have been helped so many times. I dropped something and there was a stranger retrieving the item.

I have celiac and am loving DLR food. I roll with the bad stuff like bunless and pickleless burgers while researching and testing and seeing what is out there. I could set back and cry over food I cannot have but instead I research and study everything I can about DLR parks and food.

You need a dole whip and some chocolates as we been a bit hard on you. I am so sorry about your trip. With proper plannning you could have prevented some of these problems. By asking for help you could have gotten a CM to get you a cup of ice water for free instead of using a drinking fountain and if you wanted out of reach condements then you should have asked for help.

For what I read or may have miss understood. For those that are LUCKY to walk, are blessed and should think themselves very appreciative that they can do so. There are some that can not walk at all or have been born with the inability to get out of their chairs or away from a personal care attendent.

Be grateful what ever mobility that you do have is a blessing and should not be taken lightly. There are para's, quards, cp, and others that would have loved the chance to have had some time being able to ambulate. There is a difference. For those that can and do use the mobility devices are very lucky that they can conserve their strength to get further mobility in and around WDW, not upset that they think they should fight for the right to use them. All disability is NOT equal only the person that think thiers are the only one that is important. To play a tit for tat illness, no one wins and what is it that they do win the chance to be worse than another.

Know that you are blessed by being able to have some mobility not how important and self indulgent that you have a paper cut.

Look who's playing the "My Disability is Worse than Yours" game!

You do it when you make comments like you just made.

You have no idea what that person goes through in a daily life any more than they do about you.

Stop judging others or are you looking for a pity party for yourself? I doubt that you will get that here.

something i think you are missing is that ALL disabilities and pain are relative. few people deal with the kind of daily pain and injuries i do (out of hospice care). I fully dislocate major joints DAILY. however, that does not mean that someone with a sprained ankle does not feel pain, just because mine is to a higher degree.

it sounds to me like you are trying to win the "who's worse" game, and quite frankly, you can have it.

I do not think it is appropriate for you to call people self-indulgent. Yes, I can walk some. No, I will not be able to a year from now. I have some kind of progressive paralysis, so no, i do NOT consider myself lucky that i can walk some now. thinking every step could be your last is very painful...

no, not all degrees of disability are the same, but all disabilities are serious and they affect people's lives. trying to say that your disability is worse and therefore somehow more important is inappropriate, at least at disney.

you also seem to be equating disability with wheelchair use, which is also incorrect. The more disabled, the more you use a wheelchair. that is not how a lot of disabilities work.

i get very annoyed by people telling me how "lucky" i am that at least I can walk some. I cannot walk a step without pain and the threat of major injury and a trip to the ER. and some day I will stop walking all together.

please do not presume to judge who has a "worse" disability, it will only lead to unhappiness.

Windjammermay, what pushed my personal buttons about that last paragraph in your initial post was the way it came across. I found it judgemental to be honest. Almost as some kind of supremecy, as if 'real disabled' are more worthy than 'non real disabled'. And to be honest, your most recent posting isn't really sitting overly well with me either. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the lack of having to read this instead of hearing it and being able to hear intonation etc., maybe it's you not getting your point across, but that post sounds like a lot of preaching to me. I find it not particularly nice, sensitive or in place to tell others they should consider themselves lucky to be able to walk. Really what are you trying to reach with that? :confused3

But back to the start. Let me just ask; what was your initial goal when you posted this topic minus the remark about ECV-users? I had this idea you wanted to vent and perhaps find some help and/or information about how to make a future trip to WDW more enjoyable. But now I'm not sure anymore, so I reckoned I'ld just ask.

Laurie; does Bill really need any introduction on here anyway? Who of us regulars doesn't know him? ;)

Goofieslonglostsis,
You are not alone. I too found the posts offensive. I think that is exactly why the OP posted them. Either they are looking for a pity party or a fight.

Peemag, I'm a sucker. Really, I am. As you can see, I'm trying to give the benefit of the doubt. It took some time to get over my own sentiments, so it'ld better be worth it. :rotfl:

For what I read or may have miss understood. For those that are LUCKY to walk, are blessed and should think themselves very appreciative that they can do so. There are some that can not walk at all or have been born with the inability to get out of their chairs or away from a personal care attendent.

Be grateful what ever mobility that you do have is a blessing and should not be taken lightly. There are para's, quards, cp, and others that would have loved the chance to have had some time being able to ambulate. There is a difference. For those that can and do use the mobility devices are very lucky that they can conserve their strength to get further mobility in and around WDW, not upset that they think they should fight for the right to use them. All disability is NOT equal only the person that think thiers are the only one that is important. To play a tit for tat illness, no one wins and what is it that they do win the chance to be worse than another.

Know that you are blessed by being able to have some mobility not how important and self indulgent that you have a paper cut.

I was extremely offended by the last paragraph in your OP and I am also extremely offended by this one as well.

I have friends that are para's, quads, etc. We ALL get together to play wheelchair sports. EVERYONE gets to play whether you're an AB or in a chair full time or in a chair part time. Some of them are the happiest, most content people I know. They've accepted their circumstances and choose to deal with it in a positive manner.

As for us part time ECV users, we have problems too and are entitled to use mobility devices. I have a rare disease and just had brain surgery a month ago. It is good for me to walk and exercise my muscles for as long as I can. I use the ECV so I can come and enjoy my vacation and for just a short time forget about being sick.

I may not be in a chair like you, but I guarantee you that not a day goes by that I'm not reminded of the things I can't do or the things I used to do before I got sick. I had to give up almost everything that I loved and made me "me". How dare you try to deny me the one thing I have left from my previous life because I'm not "disabled" enough for you.

I was extremely offended by the last paragraph in your OP and I am also extremely offended by this one as well.

I have friends that are para's, quads, etc. We ALL get together to play wheelchair sports. EVERYONE gets to play whether you're an AB or in a chair full time or in a chair part time. Some of them are the happiest, most content people I know. They've accepted their circumstances and choose to deal with it in a positive manner.

As for us part time ECV users, we have problems too and are entitled to use mobility devices. I have a rare disease and just had brain surgery a month ago. It is good for me to walk and exercise my muscles for as long as I can. I use the ECV so I can come and enjoy my vacation and for just a short time forget about being sick.

I may not be in a chair like you, but I guarantee you that not a day goes by that I'm not reminded of the things I can't do or the things I used to do before I got sick. I had to give up almost everything that I loved and made me "me". How dare you try to deny me the one thing I have left from my previous life because I'm not "disabled" enough for you.

That is ok, get over it. A long with others that think they have issues with me. If you think your back yard psych course is important, think again. You don't know me to understand what I had said then it is ok but do not project your issues and seansative problems on others because you think you know something about other peoples issues. No, I am not doing a pity party, you are, no I am not doing tip for tat you are because you people are the ones that had to mentioned it. So it must be your problem not mine.

Like I said, if you can not be happy and feel blessed by being able to walk, then think again about your situation. It was just that simple for what I said. It is your mental issues that blew it out of proportions.

I was not looking for a pity party or a fight, so it must be you that is looking for one peemagg. are you fighting that hard to remain disabled enough to get sympathy from others. Now, I am harsh on my comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter