Ways to maximize savings when purchasing direct DVC contract.. (credit card rewards etc)

If I pull the trigger on the 250-300 RIV points for my direct benefits, I will use MB to get to 161-164/pt, and then still get my 2024 points in Sept for "double points" and use/rent them for an even cheaper buy in. I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I was planning on using it to the fullest to get 3% back that turns into 4.5% (50% extra) when used for travel, or transferring those points to a partner if something catches my eye. And it does look like I have the my chase plan promo available on it until the end of June! When I select a purchase large enough it says this would be the monthly cost, including a $0 monthly fee and no interest!

I may open another card that has a good sign up bonus (AmEx platinum?) and put just enough on that card to get the bonus, pay that off, then put the rest into sapphire reserve + my chase plan so I can pay that off slower instead of withdrawing more money/selling more of my stocks immediately for the cash.

I still plan on waiting until the end of the current promo since that is before the my chase plan offer expires. Then I can see if RIV happens to be lower during the next set of incentives (I doubt it, I think they are trying to give a good incentive before starting on Poly and this may be the lowest price we see for a direct purchase of a long-expiration, high quality resort ever again), or in case the Poly tower has amazing incentives (I highly doubt it, they know it will sell well initially).

I figure it would be better to have RIV locked in as my resort for direct benefits instead of the poly tower because:
  • It has such a long expiration until 2070, which will make my direct benefit outlast all the resale contracts I have
  • I can't use any of my current resale points there
  • It will give me an Epcot/Crescent lake area resort even after my BWV expires, no matter what they do with the 2042 resorts
  • I could use all of my points, both resale and direct to book the Poly going forward, and it will have more rooms available now. (Even though I think the Island Tower rooms will be tight for a while, the unsold declared rooms will make the resort have more rooms available than points with home resort booking priority until they sell out. But it will probably just increase longhouse availability)
  • The resale restrictions shouldn't really matter for me because it would be the last resort that I would sell in case of an emergency (my other resale contracts would be sold off first, and we have set ourselves up pretty well for now 🤞
That's my plan for maximizing when purchasing soon. What do you think?

Last edited:
If I pull the trigger on the 250-300 RIV points for my direct benefits, I will use MB to get to 161-164/pt, and then still get my 2024 points in Sept for "double points" and use/rent them for an even cheaper buy in. I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I was planning on using it to the fullest to get 3% back that turns into 4.5% (50%) extra when used for travel, or transferring those points to a partner if something catches my eye. And it does look like I have the my chase plan promo available on it until the end of June! When I select a purchase large enough it says this would be the monthly cost, including a $0 monthly fee and no interest!

I may open another card that has a good sign up bonus (amex platinum?) and put just enough on that card to get the bonus, pay that off, then put the rest into sapphire reserve+my chase plan so I can pay that off slower instead of withdrawing more money/selling more of my stocks immediately for the cash.

I still plan on waiting until the end of the current promo since that is before the my chase plan offer expires. Then I can see if RIV happens to be lower during the next set of incentives (I doubt it, I think they are trying to give a good incentive before starting on Poly and this may be the lowest price we see for a direct purchase of a long-expiration, high quality resort ever again), or in case the Poly tower has amazing incentives (I highly doubt it, they know it will sell well initially).

I figure it would be better to have RIV locked in as my resort for direct benefits instead of the poly tower because:
  • It has such a long expiration until 2070, which will make my direct benefit outlast all the resale contracts I have
  • It will give me an Epcot/Crescent lake area resort even after my BWV expires, no matter what they do with the 2042 resorts
  • I could use all of my points, both resale and direct to book the Poly going forward, and it will have more rooms available now. (Even though I think the Island Tower rooms will be tight for a while, the unsold declared rooms will make the resort have more rooms available than points with home resort booking priority until they sell out. But it will probably just increase longhouse availability)
  • The resale restrictions shouldn't really matter for me because it would be the last resort that I would sell in case of an emergency (my other resale contracts would be sold off first, and we have set ourselves up pretty well for now 🤞
Love it - this is my exact plan and rationale (except I can’t wait until the end of this incentive cycle with a June UY…trying to make peace with that risk 🤣)

If I pull the trigger on the 250-300 RIV points for my direct benefits, I will use MB to get to 161-164/pt, and then still get my 2024 points in Sept for "double points" and use/rent them for an even cheaper buy in. I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I was planning on using it to the fullest to get 3% back that turns into 4.5% (50%) extra when used for travel, or transferring those points to a partner if something catches my eye. And it does look like I have the my chase plan promo available on it until the end of June! When I select a purchase large enough it says this would be the monthly cost, including a $0 monthly fee and no interest!

I may open another card that has a good sign up bonus (amex platinum?) and put just enough on that card to get the bonus, pay that off, then put the rest into sapphire reserve+my chase plan so I can pay that off slower instead of withdrawing more money/selling more of my stocks immediately for the cash.

Thanks for sharing your train of thought. This is pretty much where we are at too. The only reason we would buy Poly instead of Rivera would be if Poly pricing came below Riv after incentives which is highly unlikely. If they do theme the rooms at the tower amazingly, we will consider buying resale in a few years assuming things will calm down by then and prices are reasonable. (We already own at VGF and BCV. Also we like Epcot and AK more then MK to give more perspective.

Totally agree on the credit cards strategy too. Amex has some amazing sign up offers now which you should totally take advantage of if you can. I usually use both chase and amex points to transfer to Hyatt/airlines.

Love it - this is my exact plan and rationale (except I can’t wait until the end of this incentive cycle with a June UY…trying to make peace with that risk 🤣)
Is June UY your preference? They told us Riviera was offered on a December UY (which is good for us), but I didn't know if that would change at a certain point...?

Last edited:

As I go back and forth between Poly or Riv, you've laid out some great arguments for going with Riv for my direct points, too. (I'm a current BLT resale owner.) Hoping we know the initial Poly pricing before the current Riv incentives expire, but I doubt we will.

I am also planning on using my CSR, although I am pondering opening another card or two as well.

In the long run, I wonder about 7 month availability at both Poly and Riv. I would think that we'd be ok to get into Poly at 7 months after the first couple years, as you do, but the one thing that makes me hesitate is I'd be very sad if Poly 7 month availability turns out to be tough...I guess I could always pick up a Poly resale contract at that point!

As I go back and forth between Poly or Riv, you've laid out some great arguments for going with Riv for my direct points, too. (I'm a current BLT resale owner.) Hoping we know the initial Poly pricing before the current Riv incentives expire, but I doubt we will.

I am also planning on using my CSR, although I am pondering opening another card or two as well.

In the long run, I wonder about 7 month availability at both Poly and Riv. I would think that we'd be ok to get into Poly at 7 months after the first couple years, as you do, but the one thing that makes me hesitate is I'd be very sad if Poly 7 month availability turns out to be tough...I guess I could always pick up a Poly resale contract at that point!
Yeah getting resale Poly later is one point I left off of my list. Once the resale Poly price cools down and they stop ROFR'ing I would be much happier with Direct RIV and Resale Poly (all points can be used at the original 14 resorts, and RIV used anywhere) compared to Direct Poly and Resale restricted RIV (Poly points can be used anywhere but RIV points only at RIV)

For anyone buying resale contracts:
Since it doesn't code as travel, what I do is put the maximum amount they will allow on my Chase Freedom Flex Unlimited card. It's free and earns 1.5% cash back on everything. Then I transfer those chase points to my paid Chase Sapphire reserve, which redeems as 1.5x for travel. So the worst cash back I get anywhere on anything is effectively 2.25%

Last edited:
Is June UY your preference? They told us Riviera was offered on a Dcemeber UY (which is good for us), but I didn't know if that would change at a certain point...?
I have Dec and June UY but the Favorite Week I want doesn’t make sense with a December UY (because I would need to bank by July 31st, but the Favorite Week is in Nov). So June is the only option for that week…which means the clock is ticking for me to decide if I want MB!

Since it doesn't code as travel, what I do is put the maximum amount they will allow on my Chase Freedom Flex card. It's free and earns 1.5% cash back on everything. Then I transfer those chase points to my paid Chase Sapphire reserve, which redeems as 1.5x for travel. So the worst cash back I get anywhere on anything is effectively 2.25%
This is the way!

Since it doesn't code as travel, what I do is put the maximum amount they will allow on my Chase Freedom Flex card. It's free and earns 1.5% cash back on everything. Then I transfer those chase points to my paid Chase Sapphire reserve, which redeems as 1.5x for travel. So the worst cash back I get anywhere on anything is effectively 2.25%
Great strategy. I may need to sit and do the math if the annual fee for CSR will eat up my savings or if its worth it. Previously it did but I wasnt traveling much.

You can also transfer points to a spouse. You have to call to have them link the cards though. I had my wife sign up for sapphire preferred to get the sign up bonus, then transfer all the points to my sapphire reserve. So you could do the same thing with the freedom flex, etc every 3 months for different chase cards. That can help offset the fee, even if you are not travelling much.

Does anyone have any info on if DVC codes as travel with the Costco Citi Visa? It gives 3% on travel.

If I pull the trigger on the 250-300 RIV points for my direct benefits, I will use MB to get to 161-164/pt, and then still get my 2024 points in Sept for "double points" and use/rent them for an even cheaper buy in. I do have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and I was planning on using it to the fullest to get 3% back that turns into 4.5% (50% extra) when used for travel, or transferring those points to a partner if something catches my eye. And it does look like I have the my chase plan promo available on it until the end of June! When I select a purchase large enough it says this would be the monthly cost, including a $0 monthly fee and no interest!

I may open another card that has a good sign up bonus (AmEx platinum?) and put just enough on that card to get the bonus, pay that off, then put the rest into sapphire reserve + my chase plan so I can pay that off slower instead of withdrawing more money/selling more of my stocks immediately for the cash.

Not to derail this thread but how are you getting 161 p/p with MB? Asking b/c when I did the math between 250 and 300 pts, anything after 250 was higher than 164…which had me rethinking my plans to get 2 FW’s. Want to make sure I’m not missing something - TY!!

Not to derail this thread but how are you getting 161 p/p with MB? Asking b/c when I did the math between 250 and 300 pts, anything after 250 was higher than 164…which had me rethinking my plans to get 2 FW’s. Want to make sure I’m not missing something - TY!!
I was going based on this
$198 avg at 150, $194 at 200 and $184 at 250 and $181.33 at 300 for Riviera before taking $20 off if you do magical beginnings rebate for first year points. Can do June use year and get 2023 points sold back and granted 2024 and 2025. You would have 3x your base points still bookable and useable within 13 months if you borrow your 2026 June points into a June 2025 trip for instance. Of course you have to pay calendar probated dues on the 2024 points and subsequent dues.

$208.66 @150, $198@200, $197@250 and $193.67@300 at Disneyland Hotel before the $20 magical beginnings rebate if you wish to take it.
from this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/j...-price-to-115-per-point.3944601/post-65491966

I think maybe there is a 300pt level promo that we can't see for current members. There is a 300pt promo for new members. But I'm not 100% sure. When doing the math I have been counting on the 164 pp for 250 pts since that's the best I can see. I wonder if there is anyone who bought 300 this cycle that can confirm or deny

I was going based on this

from this thread https://www.disboards.com/threads/j...-price-to-115-per-point.3944601/post-65491966

I think maybe there is a 300pt level promo that we can't see for current members. There is a 300pt promo for new members. But I'm not 100% sure. When doing the math I have been counting on the 164 pp for 250 pts since that's the best I can see. I wonder if there is anyone who bought 300 this cycle that can confirm or deny
Thank you - yeah I landed at 250 being the best price per point. I’m really going back on forth with RIV so every penny makes a difference in which way I lean that hour 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter