Was DVC the right choice

DisneyHog

Earning My Ears
Don't get me wrong, I adore WDW and went every year long before I joined DVC three years ago. I am not, however, made of money. A big reason I always stayed on site was the "perks". EE and E-ride nights have always been a big part of our vacations. If these were not available I would probably have rented one of the very affordable houses or condos every year instead of staying on site. (we always rent a car anyway). If the "resort guest" perks are gone permanently it will make me feel that I have wasted alot of money on DVC. It is great to stay at the BWV, but I don't know that it is worth the cost without the perks. What does everyone else think. (I hope I am just feeling depressed about the cutbacks, and you can all talk me out of it!)

To me, the greatest perk is being right within one of the most wonderful resort locations in the world. I really consider the parks only one element (of course an important one) of my vacations. The recreation, dining, shopping, etc., etc. in WDW is great. The "magic" comes in not having to worry about driving back and forth from location outside the boundaries of WDW. No matter how close, it just becomes a Florida vacation instead of Disney vacation.

I don't have small children and I tend to take my time enjoying the parks. I have used EE once in my 8 years of DVC membership and have never done an E-nite. When the crowds return, and these benefits become even more important to folks, I'm sure the perks will as well.

Pam,

Thanks for stating my thoughts so eloquently. We have only been members for a short time but are on our third trip home. I wished we would have done in 1995 when we first took the tour.

I absolutely agree with Pam. We haven't done an EE for several years and only done the E night once. As far as the decreased hours in the parks, even when we did the power visits and spent many more hours touring we still took a break in the afternoon and didn't take advantage of every hour the parks were open. The magic is still there for us and we are about to leave for our next trip. We have 12 days scheduled, beginning Sunday and I'm just as excited about this trip as I have been for all the others. I said much the same thing in a restaurant post a few days ago, that when the crowds return so will all the other perks. I think the best thing we can do is not change our normal plans, spend money on travel to WDW as we can afford and eventually things will get back to normal. We had PS at Yacht Club Galley that closed and by the time I called they had already switched us to Yachtsman Steakhouse. Without asking they read me the menu and were trying to be as accomodating as possible. As any other business that has suffered as a result of the recent events, I don't feel we can expect Disney to continue to provide the same level of experience if we as consumers are not supporting them by visiting the parks. I know it can be disappointing for many who have been planning their vacations for such a long time and maybe I am being too much of an optimist but I am betting I am going to have just as good of a time the next couple of weeks as we have had in our previous trips.

hi: just my two cents- we've been going to wdw since before they had ee and e-nights. these little goodies were added as the need came about. i'm sure these cuts are a temporary thing, and when the crowds come back, so will these little perks. the last time we stayed off-site was 1987, and during that trip it was decided that we would always stay on site afterward. i'll miss e-nights more than ee; our youngest is still a teen and we haven't done ee since 95 or 96. think of it this way, if there's no need for ee or e-nights because of a lack of attendance, you'll get everything accomplished in much less time. that way, you'll be able to kick back and relax at the resort when the parks are closed. thank goodness you'll be in a dvc unit rather than a regular hotel room.

You are all bringing my spirits up a bit. I do have the problem of only being able to stay for 5 days at a time due to my husbands job which means we try to cram all of WDW into a fairly short period of time. I will try to look on the bright side. PamOKW had a really good point about not having to drive back to a rented house after a day at the parks and then a night at pleasure island.

I sure hope you are right that EE and e-nights will return, but CRO told me last night the the EE is a permanent change to "surprise mornings with character caravan". I will keep my fingers crossed though. Any other positive thoughts out there? I could use them all!

I am sure that within 40 years I will get over it, but I feel that my DVC membership has been very negatively affected by the changes. EE was one of the only reasons to stay on site, IMHO. Right now, I feel like Disney has taken my not inconsequential sum of money and thumbed their nose at me and everyone else who prepaid their vacation. A couple of nice pins once a year does not temper the extreme disappointment that I still am feeling. Reduced hours, no EE, slash and burn prices for cash guests at the resorts, pool hopping eliminated at the holiday time (in the midst of them apparently closing hotels due to low occupancy)--I feel like DVC members are receiving no consideration or appreciation during these tough times and I don't expect that to change in the future. I just want to feel appreciated and wanted--these things are not owed to me, but I have made a commitment to Disney and want some indication that they really appreciate it (being able to buy into BCV for the price we paid at OKW 15 months ago would be a nice start!!!;) ;) ). The fact that the changes might be temporary is little consolation for a trip that will be our only trip in 6 years to WDW!

All,
We have been DVC members since Feb 1992. As the years go by and our kids grow up, our use of DVC, and our activities at WDW have changed. Like most people, we originally woke up at the crack of dawn, raced to the park that opened first, stayed all day and left when they closed the park. But the real joy of DVC, to us, is knowing that we can stay at a first class resort with a choice of many locations, that is impeccably maintained, clean, cheerful and friendly. Park proximity is convenient, but only one aspect.

We have never done an e-night, although my DD is itching to. The other perks are fine, but I do not feel that they should be "expected"., although like Doctor P suggested, I would love to be able to buy into BCV at the price we paid for OKW..... in 1992 @ $51/point (not likely !)

There is a relaxing & calming feeling that comes over our car when we see those wonderful purple signs on the road that signal we have arrived "home".

mac_tlc

DVC '92

'74, '75, '76, '77, '79, '80, '83 (hunnymoon), '85, '90, '91 off-site
'92 DVC
'93 DVC, DVC
'94 DVC, DVC, DVC
'96 OKW, OKW, OKW, VB
'97 OKW, OKW, VB
'98 OKW, OKW, VB
'99 WL, OKW, OKW
'00 OKW, Magic, VB, OKW
'01 DCA, VWL, BWV, Magic

I agree with Mac.

We don't feel the need to do it all each trip because we know we will return. Last year we took 3 WDW trips totaling 29 days. On two of the trips, we got on the plane saying we forgot to go to several of our favorite things. How could we forget our favorites!!?? Problably because we know we will be back. Of course, that means we will REALLY miss COP since it closed after our last trip!

to start a new thread, but I *don't* understand why people are begrudging Disney their opportunity to do whatever they have to do to get through this terribly tough time. They were *already* having difficulties, and we were *already* headed into recession, and now Sept. 11 really slammed on the gas. I don't know about you guys, but I want Disney World to *survive* until 2042 and beyond. If you haven't noticed, companies can go under during times like these. One of our biggest local national businesses here was Midway Airlines, and they went completely under. I would *hope* that if they had had an opportunity to survive by cutting back benefits temporarily, that their customers would not have begrudged them the opportunity to do so.

There is nothing worse that ANY of us could do than cancelling an upcoming trip to WDW. Someone who was upset with the cutbacks announced several days ago that they were cancelling their November trip, and IMHO, that is the absolute worst thing that any of us could do. If we WANT the perks to return, we ALL have to do our part, and that means taking our normal trips to WDW. We're definitely still going in January, and if I had *any* additional vacation time, we would have scheduled an extra short trip in the last month. This is all an enormous circle/cycle - the lack of business causes the temporary lack of perks - but if you let the temporary lack of perks cause you to cancel your WDW trip, then YOU are contributing to further lack of business which will CAUSE the perks to come back later than they would have, or cause other perks to go away.

Look, Disney is in trouble, folks. They're wounded, and they're doing whatever they can do to get through this. We really owe it to them to be supportive. (Heck, we owe it to OURSELVES - we're bought in for another 40 years :) ) I know it hurts that these perks have been discontinued, but the BIG PICTURE is that we want WDW to survive and thrive in the future, and our current and future business will help to determine that they do.

We have enjoyed EE when we visited WDW in the past, staying at resorts. It's a shame they had to suspend it (I don't believe it is gone forever), but it was to us a perk, not the main reason for staying on-site.

To us, staying on-site means being wrapped within the "magic" 24 hours a day. It means we are awakened by Mickey Mouse himself. We are surrounded by "hidden Mickeys". We never have to "leave the magic" and head to a nice but unimaginative hotel. It means even the transportation (boats, monorails, busses) are part of the adventure. It means a "welcome home" from some of the best employees (in general) we have ever encountered.

Miss EE? Sure. Is it our main reason for staying on-site....not at all.

Just had to add my thoughts about the only reason one stays on-site is for the EE and other type perks. We feel there is just something "magical" about being on-site. I remember our very first trip in 1977 and having to stay at a hotel on the now Downtown Disney hotel row. Back then, there was only the Polynesian and the Contemporary and you had to call over a year in advance for reservations. We felt we were getting some of the perks but knew we were missing the magic of being in a "real" Disney hotel. Then more Disney resorts were built and we could get a reservation within 6 months of travel. We've stayed at all of the Disney hotels except for the All Stars and CSR. I personally like riding a Disney bus to my destination and I love having Mickey wake me up each morning (even though I am usually already awake.) I love the Disney advertising running on my TV as I get around in the mornings. It is just part of the magic. Maybe it was because I grew up driving to California every summer and going to Disneyland. We were always in the traffic driving into the park, having to ride the tram from the parking lot. It was just a day's destination. Then WDW opened and it was a whole new way of vacationing. We thought the Disney bus transportation was great in the beginning but have seen them make changes and improve it over the years. Remember when all buses took you to the T & T center and you had to either boat or monorail over to MK? We have never done an EE and have only done E nights a couple of times. So no, I am not going to miss them. But there is still so much magic to be enjoyed with all the other things Disney has going for them. We will continue to use our DVC and have good times and make wonderful memories! I want Disney to thrive and go on for my kids' kids. They need to do whatever they have to in order to survive this crisis.

Am reading the DVC posts with great interest as we just signed a contract for HH and 300 points last night. I know what e-nights are (actually were) but what is the EE that all of you keep referring to and are we going to miss it?

Congratulations and welcome home Tiffany! EE is Early Entry --- each day a different park opened early for WDW guests only. Only some rides were available but it seems like it was especially popular to allow the small kids to hit their rides (like Dumbo).

In 10+ trips to WDW, I have never done early entry. I've only been there at the official opening time a handful of times. I've always stayed on-site and would never consider off-site.

If anything decreases the value of DVC right now in terms of renting or selling it is the discount prices available. I was just looking in travelocity for the first week of December and most resorts have rates 40% off (they call it "promotional rates"). BWV even has a 1 bedroom at $219 per night (plus tax).

But if you're not planning on renting or selling, I don't see any decreased value. Having DVC and going once or twice a year takes the pressure off of having to do it all every time and the shortened hours don't hurt as much. It's not like this is a "once in a lifetime" trip and every minute counts. Having to spend more time in a beautiful villa sure beats a regular hotel room.

DisneyHog- Since you are a DVC member, even though you can only stay 5 days at a time, can't you go more often?? That's one of my favorite things about the DVC...because I don't have to come up with a huge amount of money to pay for accomodations all at once(the monthly payment fits MUCH better into the budget!), I can go more often! And not to suggest that you don't wwant to go without your DH, but maybe an occasional "girlfriends" trip might be fun.:D

DoctorP-If you can only go once every 6 years, maybe the DVC wasn't the ideal choice for you to spend your vacation dollars on. I'm not being sarcastic here. DH and I figured it out when we bought and in order for it to make sense you had to go at least every other year, or you'd be losing banked points etc, unless you rented them to someone else to use and had them pay you or something like that. Just a thought, and again, no sarcasm intended.

Hi All,

Granny and Janijo, Thanks for reminding me of some of the little things that make DVC so special, it has really helped me keep from dwelling on the cutbacks and look forward to our trip in two weeks.

Disney doll, We always take people with us who could not go otherwise. Friends, relatives, etc. so we use our whole 270 points in the week. Also we enjoy skiing, the beach and visiting family and friends who don't live close so it is hard to squeeze it all in. Eventually we may be able to take more than one week in Disney, but there is so much I love in every park that I can't imagine missing anything when I am there. A visit without a trip to Peter Pan and Splash Moutain wouldn't be complete. I can't imagine going without experiencing The American Adventure and Beauty and the Beast. I even felt like something was missing last year when the Electric Light Parade replaced Spectromagic. Now it looks like we will miss Spectromagic again because it is only on Saturday night and we are in the Parks Monday through Friday. Also my husband loves Disney as much as I do and I would never go without him, that is our special place. Anyway... I am going to try to focus on the positive, as granny and janijo pointed out there are alot of them.

E-nights and EE will return... as will PO, as will attendance. But right now they have a capacity problem (over capacity). Yesterday, and with less than 30 days to Thanksgiving, I was able to choose from several resorts (CR, BWI, CS, all had rooms) and make reservations (at discounted prices). The economy, worsened by the tragic events in our nation really hit hard on the vacation industry. By the way, I'm glad to hear the President putting in a plug for Disney in one of his speeches.... I'm doing my part. We just added on at VWL, and we going to have thanksgiving dinner with the mouse...and mousette!

Now that I think about it, isn't this really the first economic recession DVC members have had to ride out? Think about the capacity Disney has added at WDW over the last 10 years. In the industry I'm in, when the economy goes bad, we close plants, lay-off workers, watch our stock drop and hope we don't get taken-over. I've made a substantial investment in Disney, and I'm expecting this management team to make the right decisions to keep WDW healthy... They have some very touch decisions to make, and I'm sure they're got the data they need to know what belt tightening can be made that has the least impact on quality, and customer satisfaction.

I never use e-nights and I avoid alarm clocks on my vacation, so EE is not an option for me either... and I have no desire to stay at PO. On the other hand, I notice that renovation/construction at BWV continues. That's a very good thing. Thanks DVC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter