Was Disneyland Hotel gonna be demolished and rebuilt with a new updated look in 1999?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
When my family visited Disneyland for Christmas in 1998 Dad and I heard a story from a cast member that worked at the monorail station that 1998 was gonna be the final year that Disneyland Hotel was gonna be open because according to the cast member they were gonna demolish it and rebuild Disneyland Hotel with a new updated look and image in 1999. But 1999 came and nothing happened and I want to know if the story was true? I do know that during 1998 Disneyland Hotel was doing construction on some parts of the hotel and they were building The Neverland Pool in between the Bonita and Sierra Towers of the hotel. Was this project postponed for money reasons and never saw the light of day?

From Wikipedia:
Resort expansion (1999–2001)[edit]
In early 1997, Vacationland was closed and demolished.[11] Then in 1999, a significant portion of the hotel was also demolished, all to make way for Downtown Disney and parking areas for the newly expanding Disneyland Resort. Most buildings east of the Sierra Tower and north of the Marina Tower were demolished, including the original hotel buildings from 1955.[12] The only buildings remaining in these areas are the convention center and parking garage. Recreational facilities were built in the quad between the three towers, previously site of the Water Wonderland, to replace those that were previously located east of the Sierra Tower.
Streets previously used to access the hotel by car were regraded and/or outright eliminated, and a new street was built to access the hotel. Tram service from the hotel was also discontinued, leaving the Monorail as the only vehicular mode of transportation from park to hotel. The loss of hotel rooms was offset with the opening of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel in 2001, but many of the restaurants and amenities that existed prior to 1999 were never replaced.

From Wikipedia:
Resort expansion (1999–2001)[edit]
In early 1997, Vacationland was closed and demolished.[11] Then in 1999, a significant portion of the hotel was also demolished, all to make way for Downtown Disney and parking areas for the newly expanding Disneyland Resort. Most buildings east of the Sierra Tower and north of the Marina Tower were demolished, including the original hotel buildings from 1955.[12] The only buildings remaining in these areas are the convention center and parking garage. Recreational facilities were built in the quad between the three towers, previously site of the Water Wonderland, to replace those that were previously located east of the Sierra Tower.
Streets previously used to access the hotel by car were regraded and/or outright eliminated, and a new street was built to access the hotel. Tram service from the hotel was also discontinued, leaving the Monorail as the only vehicular mode of transportation from park to hotel. The loss of hotel rooms was offset with the opening of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel in 2001, but many of the restaurants and amenities that existed prior to 1999 were never replaced.
I REALLY miss the old DIsneyland Hotel. It's beautiful now, but there was a whole 2-story shopping arena and several good restaurants, a night club, the Monorail Cafe (at the monorail station, which used to be part of the hotel), cabanas, etc. If you want to get a grasp of how much was demolished, the monorail station hasn't moved, they just removed that whole chunk of the hotel.

I REALLY miss the old DIsneyland Hotel. It's beautiful now, but there was a whole 2-story shopping arena and several good restaurants, a night club, the Monorail Cafe (at the monorail station, which used to be part of the hotel), cabanas, etc. If you want to get a grasp of how much was demolished, the monorail station hasn't moved, they just removed that whole chunk of the hotel.

Wow - I have vague memories of walking through the old hotel as a kid (never stayed there). But, I had no idea it lost so much. Since I started staying there as an adult, I have always thought the amenities were embarrassingly skimpy for Disney's first hotel and for the price. It is still my favorite hotel at Disneyland, but wish Disney would install better amenities to match the prices.

Loved the Monorail Cafe.

And I always joke they didn't move the monorail station, they moved the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter