Warning about Bank One Disney Visa

BankOneDisneyUghh

Earning My Ears
I am a mom of four girls ages 10, 8, 7 & 6 months. I've been using my Disney Visa for a very long time. I saved up for the purpose of being able to use my hard earned rewards at my favorite place on earth "DISNEY", well I called to transfer my 40 dollars to my exisiting 86 ONLY TO FIND OUT THEY EXPIRED!Well If I hadn't already called customer service to ask them about this (and I do Quote) they told me I was fine they wouldn't expire for years I wouldn't have been so ANGRY! (He explained it wrong to me, but nonetheless I LOST 86 perfectly good DISNEY DOLLARS! Just please dont make my mistake. Be careful they don't care about us (the little people)! I am really upset now because as you moms know every little bit helps!!

Bank One Disney Visa did this!!

The dollars on your account don't expire for years. Once you transfer them to the card they expire at the end of the year with the expiration date on the card. Sorry you lost so much. :guilty:

They have done a VERY poor job of explaining the rewards from the beginning. I recently received a letter from them stating that although they originally said that reward dollars expire 5 years from the date they were earned, they really meant 2 years. They said it would be correct on the next statement I received. Lo and behold, my next statement had an expiration date of 12/09! I don't think the left hand knows what the right is doing.

As for reward dollars that are transferred to a rewards card, they have consistently stated that those expire in Dec. of the year following the transfer. (Correct me if that is wrong.) It is hard to find where that is spelled out, but I know I've read it a few times. The expiration date is also printed on the rewards card itself. So all you Disney Visa holders out there, do NOT transfer reward dollars to a card until 2 or 3 months before your next Disney trip.

OP, I am so sorry you were burned by this! Have you tried calling them back and asking to speak with a customer service manager? That might get you somewhere, especially since this was the result of an uninformed customer service employee. Or did you request to close your account? Sometimes that can get you what you need from credit cards' customer service departments -- they'll give a little to avoid the risk of losing a lot.

Good luck to you. I know how horrible it must feel to have lost that money.

Thanks ladies for the post. I didn't cancel my card "YET", I am awaiting a phone call from the manager "Brian Hack" in the Orlando office. The lady I spoke with "Lee Dalton" said right off the bat that he won't be able to do anything. I spent WAY too much money with this bank to loose my disney rewards because of an incompetent person. What else can I do? I am emailing my story around in hopes other MOMS learn from my trusting error.
Thanks again!!~

Thank you for posting, I'm the one who needs these kind of reminders! I had 3 of the old cards that I used on Dec 31 before they expired. I haven't ordered the Rewards card part yet, glad to know the details before I do! My mum has been after me to get the card as she wants to cancel the Disney Credit card altogether. :(

B

If you're in doubt as to when your reward points expire...you can check on the website.

From the Terms & Conditions:
4. As used herein, the term “Program Rewards Balance” is the aggregate balance of Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM shown on your Disney’s Visa Card monthly billing statement. Subject to earlier termination or redemption as provided herein, Disney Dream Reward DollarsSM shown as your Program Rewards Balance will expire in sixty (60) billing cycles following the billing cycle in which they are first posted on the monthly billing statement and will be redeemed and expired on a first-in, first-out basis.

That's 5 years boys and girls. I'm a charter member so my points don't expire until 10/2008.

HOWEVER...expiration dates for the points already transfered to your rewards card is different. There is an expiration date on the rewards card...I think about 2 years the expiration is also stated on the website.
*T&C does say that if you're late with 3 payments, you forfeit your reward.

OP...did you lose points from your rewards card? or accrued points not yet transfered?

BTW (dons flame retardant suit) In MY opinion...there's no excuse for anyone to lose points because the information about expiration dates is readily available on the statements and the website. Plus there is a phone# you can call to check your balance. It even states it on the literature you get when you receive the rewards cards plus there is an expiration date right on the front of the card. Sorry to be so harsh. pirate:

Well my fellow Disney loving mom,
In a perfect world if I had tons of free time I would know all of that, but seeing as I am a full time nursing student, mother to a very active in school 10 year old, an 8 year old, a 7 yr old (step daughter), and nursing a 6 month old, oh not to forget mentioning a military wife whose husband did serve overseas, life has been keeping me quite busy.......so little time goes to bank statements and web searches (for terms and agreements). I used the quicker way out and called "Bank One". They told me different from what really was true and THAT IS WHY I AM SO ANGRY! I lost all my dollars from the rewards card. There are still 40 on my statement, but I want my other acrued one's back.
PS No need for a flame suit, I value ALL opinions. I am happy for you that you know ALL of their terms!!~ :Pinkbounc

got2lovedisney said:
That's 5 years boys and girls. I'm a charter member so my points don't expire until 10/2008.

That's what I thought too, but two weeks ago, I received a letter stating that they really meant to say 2 years instead. But my statement shows points that expire in 2009, so who knows? I'll try to find the letter and post it here.

Not an issue for me, since we use our rewards card twice a year anyway. I do wish that they would take expired rewards cards off the website, though. I was so paranoid I would transfer my reward dollars to the wrong card! (I know the expiration date is right there on the web page, but any chance for human error makes said error infinitely more likely).

Does anyone have the site to view your account for the Disney Visa? The site I've been using - I can't get into anymore!

BankOneDisneyUghh - sorry to hear that you were given wrong information. It's a shame when you call a company for clarification and they give you misinformation and their employees are not held accountable. I empathize with you because this type of thing has happened to me many times.

I hope that we can all remember that this is a forum to help each other out with ways to save through reward programs. I always try to remember that old saying, "If you can't say something nice..."

I was afraid of the same thing, so what I am doing is taking my card immediately after transferring to rewards to the disney store and purchasing disney dollars. As far as I know, they do not expire. :cool1:

PureRomanceLady said:
I was afraid of the same thing, so what I am doing is taking my card immediately after transferring to rewards to the disney store and purchasing disney dollars. As far as I know, they do not expire. :cool1:
Can you really purchase Disney Dollars with the Disney Rewards at the Disney store? I didn't think you could purchase Disney Dollars with Rewards because they can be exchanged back to cash at Disney.

Thanks for all the replies. I just wanted to let you know that the supervisor said he would pull the tapes of the employee telling me the wrong information and get back to me. Well, he did call my husband back and let him know that "they would credit my charge card 40 dollars" that was the best he could do. Well that just tells me that they know I am right, but they still wont give me the disney rewards that I earned. I am waiting to hear back from them so we will see. Does anyone know if you can still buy disney dollars from the store? I read a few posts asking but not sure if anyone answered yet?
Thanks

BankOneDisneyUghh said:
Does anyone know if you can still buy disney dollars from the store? I read a few posts asking but not sure if anyone answered yet?
Thanks
You sure can! I would take that $40 credit and buy Disney Dollars with it. I'm so glad they gave you that at least.

Different store managers read the policy differently, but it seems that the majority will let you buy them using the rewards card as well.

Even though the disney stores are owned by another company are the rewards cards still good there?

you can't buy disney dollars or gift cards with the rewards card. also, i don't understand what was the bad info you got from bank one? they told you your reward dollars were good for a few years. the $40 in your account are good for a few years, the dollars on your rewards card expire with the card. it's all in the terms. what was the bad info?

I just received my disney rewards card. I've already put both ours and our college-bound ds electric bills on it and WAS planning on continuing that practise... I've read everything and all these posts... It's a little scarey to think #1. They can change the rewards program ANY TIME they like(ie the was 5 years now its 2) #2 It is very easy to miss something important when reading the fine print regarding credit card reward programs.

My best advice, and I will probably do this myself is to find out if I can use my reward card on room only reservations via the telephone. If we can, it is simple. Call and make a room only reservation for the time frame you are planning to go; use your reward card for part (or all if you've got a bunch :sunny: ) of the one night's deposit. Then as you accumulate more reward dollars, keep calling and putting it onto your reservation. As long as you don't miss the 5 day cancelation policy, you can change your reservation as needed if needed. That way you are guarenteed use of your points at WDW.

Buying the Disney dollars is great. I don't have a store around here. I wonder if you can call or write to order using the rewards card? Probably not given the fine print.

JMHO. ;)

my statements reflect my reward dollars expire in 5 years. i don't know where you all are getting this 2 year expiration. unless you are talking about once you put them on a rewards card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter