• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wand exchange

So are the wands only exchangable for the identical one? I'd guess that's the case, but I'm wondering... My daughter got one for Christmas (the Harry Potter one) from family members that had gone to Universal that year. But if she were to get chosen in Ollivander's is there any chance I could trade in the one she already has for the one that chooses her? Not even sure if she'd give up Harry's wand anyway, but I'm curious if that's an option. I really don't want to spend an additional $50 if she is chosen by a wand when she already has an interactive one.

I don't think so. It isn't a trade-in program; it's a "repair" program. I think the mechanism in the wands is delicate enough (and probably cheap enough) that the wand is only good for a few days. So they assume it's likely to stop working at some point in a longer trip. When they take the wand back, I'm pretty sure it just gets trashed; it's not like they can refurbish and resell it. You can always ask, but I don't see them taking a working HP wand in exchange for a new one, just because your DD wants a different model. I think the exception might be if they are "repairing" a broken one, and you request a different style if this one can't be "repaired." I'm not sure if they'd step out of character to admit they are just switching out the wands because they do like to say in character.

I don't think so. It isn't a trade-in program; it's a "repair" program. I think the mechanism in the wands is delicate enough (and probably cheap enough) that the wand is only good for a few days. So they assume it's likely to stop working at some point in a longer trip. When they take the wand back, I'm pretty sure it just gets trashed; it's not like they can refurbish and resell it. You can always ask, but I don't see them taking a working HP wand in exchange for a new one, just because your DD wants a different model. I think the exception might be if they are "repairing" a broken one, and you request a different style if this one can't be "repaired." I'm not sure if they'd step out of character to admit they are just switching out the wands because they do like to say in character.

That was my guess, but I've been surprised by some very generous policies I've found out about here. At least I know that I can let her enjoy the wand to her heart's content instead of being super worried about breaking it. Not that we want to abuse it, but she can actually enjoy it instead of keeping it tucked away safely in the box where it won't get broken but also won't be any fun.

That was my guess, but I've been surprised by some very generous policies I've found out about here. At least I know that I can let her enjoy the wand to her heart's content instead of being super worried about breaking it. Not that we want to abuse it, but she can actually enjoy it instead of keeping it tucked away safely in the box where it won't get broken but also won't be any fun.

It never hurts to ask. We did experience great customer service while we were there. I just wouldn't want your DD to get her hopes up.

On day 3, YDS's wand didn't work, so we got it "repaired," and did some more windows. Then ODS started having trouble doing the spells, and one of the window attendants examined it, and said it needed repair, too. Now, it's possible (even likely) that YDS dropped his wand between days 2 and 3 to break something in it, but I know for a fact that ODS didn't do anything rough to his wand. It was working when we got there, and then suddenly it wasn't. It can also be kind of hard to realize it's broken because some of the windows are tricky to get right. There's definitely a technique to doing just the right motion, at just the right speed, at just the right size (not too big or to small), and in just the right place. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get the spell to work, even a perfectly functional wand.

I really think Universal expects many of the wands to need repair. Of course there are plenty of people who only spend a day or two at the windows, and never know their wands don't work anymore because they break after the people go home. I'm sure my kids' wands would need to be "repaired" if we returned to Universal with them, but for normal play at home, it doesn't matter if the inner mechanism works or not.

It never hurts to ask. We did experience great customer service while we were there. I just wouldn't want your DD to get her hopes up.

On day 3, YDS's wand didn't work, so we got it "repaired," and did some more windows. Then ODS started having trouble doing the spells, and one of the window attendants examined it, and said it needed repair, too. Now, it's possible (even likely) that YDS dropped his wand between days 2 and 3 to break something in it, but I know for a fact that ODS didn't do anything rough to his wand. It was working when we got there, and then suddenly it wasn't. It can also be kind of hard to realize it's broken because some of the windows are tricky to get right. There's definitely a technique to doing just the right motion, at just the right speed, at just the right size (not too big or to small), and in just the right place. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to get the spell to work, even a perfectly functional wand.

I really think Universal expects many of the wands to need repair. Of course there are plenty of people who only spend a day or two at the windows, and never know their wands don't work anymore because they break after the people go home. I'm sure my kids' wands would need to be "repaired" if we returned to Universal with them, but for normal play at home, it doesn't matter if the inner mechanism works or not.

Sounds a bit like Sorcerers over at Disney where it can be tricky to get some of them right, especially at night. But also sounds like so much fun! We'll be careful with the wand, of course. But we'll also enjoy it.

I wouldn't think they would let you do a trade in, as the premise is that they magically "repair" the wands and they put on a good show of this for the children. Trading for a different want would ruin the illusion and that's something they're generally not allowed to do. But always worth it to ask!

We bought interactive wands three years ago, used them for a few hours, and they've been kept on display ever since. Is it likely that they're no longer working just based on the battery life? I'm guessing that the first thing they'll want to do during EE is use their wands, since we'll have the express pass for the rides. Are we likely to need "repairs" and will that be available during EE? Do they replace with identical wands, regardless whether you have a wand that chose you, or a Draco wand for example? My daughter who was chosen at Ollivander's doesn't need it to be the same wand, just the same type, because she likes to believe that the qualities match her.

If the wands don't work due to the battery, the repair shop likely will replace that battery.

To switch it out for a different wand, don't know.

If they have the same wands in stock, probably not.

But, this is only my guess.

If the shops are open during EE, would assume you can use the 'wand repair' then.

We bought interactive wands three years ago, used them for a few hours, and they've been kept on display ever since. Is it likely that they're no longer working just based on the battery life? I'm guessing that the first thing they'll want to do during EE is use their wands, since we'll have the express pass for the rides. Are we likely to need "repairs" and will that be available during EE? Do they replace with identical wands, regardless whether you have a wand that chose you, or a Draco wand for example? My daughter who was chosen at Ollivander's doesn't need it to be the same wand, just the same type, because she likes to believe that the qualities match her.

My kids have had their wands more than 2 years now and they still work fine. We have never had them stop working or need a repair. I don't find them delicate at all. But, they are older too. They were purchased when they were 12 and 14, so they are probably not as rough as younger children.

My kids have had their wands more than 2 years now and they still work fine. We have never had them stop working or need a repair. I don't find them delicate at all. But, they are older too. They were purchased when they were 12 and 14, so they are probably not as rough as younger children.

I totally agree about the hardiness of the wands. My six-year-old got her wand over two years ago, and it has been played with a lot. She's "done magic" at the park on at least 5 trips. We were there a few weeks ago and everything worked perfectly. We've never had to replace the battery or get a repair.

Yes, they are pretty tough. We have one bought at USO four years ago that is still going strong. My other son's, bought at the same time, has been "repaired" twice at USH, once when the sensor didn't work due to being banged into the wall and once when it was literally broken in half after his grandfather stepped on it.

Yes, they are pretty tough. We have one bought at USO four years ago that is still going strong. My other son's, bought at the same time, has been "repaired" twice at USH, once when the sensor didn't work due to being banged into the wall and once when it was literally broken in half after his grandfather stepped on it.

I am happy to hear these stories! We shall enjoy the wand heartily and take it in for a tuneup in the case it needs it. Surprised they replaced the one that was stepped on, but I guess that's like poor Ron's wand with the Spellotape holding it together. Can't have funny spells like Ron's going on around Universal, right?

I am happy to hear these stories! We shall enjoy the wand heartily and take it in for a tuneup in the case it needs it. Surprised they replaced the one that was stepped on, but I guess that's like poor Ron's wand with the Spellotape holding it together. Can't have funny spells like Ron's going on around Universal, right?

I was shocked the replaced that one too! I had already informed my son he would be buying a new one with his own money due to his carelessness!

We just finished a three day park visit yesterday and bought a wand on day one. On day three it stopped working.

A witch in DA came to help with a spell that DS had done many times with ease. She looked at the tip, gave it a shake by her ear and sent us for a repair. Ten minutes later we had a working wand. DS did drop his a couple times, so that may be what happened.

For 50$ I’m glad “repairs” are easy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter