"Wait, we get free refills?!" A Dec. 2013 dining review! update 6/30 TiW

I am so looking forward to eating at BOG next month - although that turkey sandwich looks delicious, I almost wish we were having lunch there and not dinner.

I feel exactly the same way, also going next month. I tried to no avail to get a dinner ADR but happy to try lunch.

I am so looking forward to eating at BOG next month - although that turkey sandwich looks delicious, I almost wish we were having lunch there and not dinner.

I am sure you will love dinner too! We've had dinner there twice and it was great both times. So far I haven't gone wrong with BOG. And even if the food wasn't that great, the atmosphere in my humble opinion really makes up for it. But we've been lucky to have good food every time too!

I feel exactly the same way, also going next month. I tried to no avail to get a dinner ADR but happy to try lunch.

I'm sure you'll enjoy lunch! It's really nice that all three rooms are open for lunch too, so you'll get to see it all.

I'm hoping we can get a FP+ for BoG lunch on our next trip.
We found dinner to be pretty disappointing but the restaurant is beautiful and I love the look of the lunch menu :)

Hey Becky! Joining in :) Sorry your dessert at BOG wasn't up to par.

Welcome, glad you're here! I'm hoping it was a one time thing since it had been so good before... but now it's an excuse to try something else next time!

I'm hoping we can get a FP+ for BoG lunch on our next trip.
We found dinner to be pretty disappointing but the restaurant is beautiful and I love the look of the lunch menu :)

Good luck! Dinner sounds like it can be rather hit or miss, but I think lunch is more consistent.

Great reviews so far!

We've only had dinner at BOG so far but for our next trip I can't find a reservation so we'll probably try lunch for the first time. I'm glad you liked it!

Hi Becky! I’m a little late, but I’m here!

I don’t think I have ever seen a review of Shutters before. :laughing: Sounded pretty mediocre….

Your BoG lunch looks and sounds great! I think we will definitely eat there for lunch next time. With the FP+, is that in addition to the attraction FP+ or what? I have no idea how it works! :laughing:

Great reviews so far!

We've only had dinner at BOG so far but for our next trip I can't find a reservation so we'll probably try lunch for the first time. I'm glad you liked it!

I hope you enjoy lunch too!

Hi Becky! I’m a little late, but I’m here!

I don’t think I have ever seen a review of Shutters before. :laughing: Sounded pretty mediocre….

Your BoG lunch looks and sounds great! I think we will definitely eat there for lunch next time. With the FP+, is that in addition to the attraction FP+ or what? I have no idea how it works! :laughing:

Yeah, I don't see too many Shutters reviews either... now i'm not too surprised by it ;)

The FP+ is a special thing for lunch so it doesn't count as one of your three for the day. You get to it with a special link: https://beourguestlunch.disney.go.com/

So much easier than waiting in that line!!

Sorry for the delay, we just got back from our most recent Disney trip, for 9 days! So now I'm home and will be updating this more. Especially with what seems like another snow day on the way tomorrow!

We are going to BOG for lunch on our trip. That turkey sandwich looks yummy!!!

Sorry for the delay, we just got back from our most recent Disney trip, for 9 days! So now I'm home and will be updating this more. Especially with what seems like another snow day on the way tomorrow!

I wondered where you had disappeared too.

Patiently waiting for updates popcorn::

Welcome back and yay for updates !

Glad to hear another positive BOG review, may have to try it again :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We are going to BOG for lunch on our trip. That turkey sandwich looks yummy!!!

It was very good!!

I wondered where you had disappeared too.

Patiently waiting for updates popcorn::

Oh my has life gotten in the way a bit! I'm trying my best! Thanks for being patient ;)

Welcome back and yay for updates !

Thanks!!

Glad to hear another positive BOG review, may have to try it again :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I recommend giving it another go!

Liberty Tree Tavern

So sorry for the delay on updates! We were in Disney for over a week and then when we get back I spent the whole week preparing for a murder mystery party we were hosting (which was a ton of fun but a lot of work!). But I'm back!

We had dinner that evening at Liberty Tree Tavern. Our plan was to have dinner (our reservation was 5:45) and then head out to the Christmas party! I'm very glad we made reservations because the place was packed. This might be the longest I waited for a table at a Disney restaurant, probably almost half an hour. But once we were seated the food came out pretty quickly! There was also some cute gingerbread buildings to look at in the waiting area:

One of the fun things about Liberty Tree Tavern is that they have their own logo mugs. I think you can purchase them too, though we didn't. But they were really nice!

If you're not familiar with LTT dinner, it's a family style meal where everything is included in one price. First up was the "declaration salad," which was basically your typical salad:

I'm not sure what exactly the dressing was but it was tasty, and all the ingredients were fresh. Obviously you don't want to fill up on it, but I appreciate a good salad.

We also got rolls with honey butter:

I am a total sucker for honey butter. The rolls were your typical rolls, but they taste so much better with honey butter! I definitely ate too many of those ;)

For the main course they bring you meat with a bunch of sides. Here's the meat platter:

It had roast beef, turkey, and pork. I'm not a huge meat eater but I actually really enjoyed the roast beef the best. I had a taste of everything but ate mostly the beef. There was stuffing under there too, but I'm not such a fan of stuffing so I think I had just a bite just to taste it.

One of the sides was mac and cheese:

It was just a bit too "fake cheesy" for me... like your typical Kraft mac & cheese. But the boys seemed to enjoy it!

The vegetable side was green beans:

And call me crazy, but for me this was the highlight of the meal! I loved these green beans and couldn't stop eating them. They were cooked the way I like them, which is still crispy and not too soggy. And they seemed to be sauteed in garlic and olive oil, which was just addicting. So simple but they got it so right.

And then there were mashed potatoes and butternut squash:

The mashed potatoes were very good - the boys couldn't get enough of them and they had to bring more. Martin in particular really loved them. He was overwhelmed by the amount of food at this meal. It was definitely a lot, and they brought big portions for the three of us. With all the food on the table I don't think the butternut squash was touched much, though it was good too.

Dessert was Johnny Appleseed's Cake - Tavern made white cake filled with apples and Craisins dried cranberries, topped with ice cream:

This was good too. I loved how they made it for the holidays with a gingerbread man on top. I usually prefer desserts with chocolate, but I liked this one a lot. Anything is extra good when you add ice cream to it ;)

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by Liberty Tree Tavern. I wasn't expecting to like it that much because I'm just not much of a fan of those big comfort food type meals. I'm not a huge Thanksgiving person. But I did enjoy the majority of food, and if you're a big eater I think it's a lot of bang for your buck. I'd give it an 8 out of 10, and while it's not a must-do I would definitely consider going back. I'd also really like to try lunch there.

It was $35.99 per person when we were there.

18% gratuity - $19.43
Tax - $5.62

Total after TiW discount, with tax and gratuity - $111.43

We saved $21.59 with Tables in Wonderland, bringing the total for this trip up to $35.59.

Sunshine Seasons

During our Epcot day we decided to stop at Sunshine Seasons for lunch. It made sense because they have decent food, a good variety, and we were already in the Land thanks to our Soarin' fastpasses.

Though they have so many options, I couldn't resist ordering the same thing I got last time because I really enjoyed it. And that's the Spicy Cashew Chicken with Vegetable Stir-Fry Noodle:

I enjoy a little spiciness, and I love lo mein noodles. Once again, this was very good. It's not spectacular or anything but definitely one of the best quick service meals I've had. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

DH ordered the Togarashi Seared Tuna Noodle Salad:

He gave it a 7.9 out of 10. He said he really wanted to give it an 8, but it wasn't quite as good as other things he rated an 8. Go figure :lmao: I remember him commenting that he liked the tuna here better than at Be Our Guest because it was more rare. It definitely looked better at Sunshine Seasons too. I don't think he loved the noodles though.

My penpal ordered... something that I can't remember what it is, but here's a pic:

I think it might have been the sweet and sour chicken with rice. Anyway, he seemed to enjoy it.

Overall I give Sunshine Seasons an 8 out of 10. It's a reliable, yummy, and conveniently located place to get a quick meal!

Tuna Salad - $9.99
Cashew Chicken - $9.99
Large Diet Coke - $2.59

Total including tax: $24.04

Akershus

For dinner we had reservations at Akershus - I let PP pick out all of our restaurants, and since he's from Norway he wanted to see how Americans thought of Norway! I did warn him that Norway had been invaded by Princesses, but he didn't seem to mind too much...

If you haven't been to Akershus before, it's basically a three course meal. The first is an appetizer buffet, then you pick an entree off the menu, and then you get a dessert sampler to share at your table. And the princesses come around while you eat. The appetizer buffet is a cold buffet. Here's my plate:

I didn't take a lot because I didn't want to fill up too much. I got some smoked salmon, salad, a roll, shrimp, and some salami. The roll was probably my favorite lol. It was nice and fresh and delicious. I'm not a huge fan of many of the things on the cold buffet, but I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

We also all got some drinks (if you've been following my TR you know this day at Epcot we were drinking around the world!). PP got the Magical Star cocktail:

DH had the Stavanger (A refreshing frozen blend of Raspberry, Vodka, and Linie Aquavit):

And I had the Prince of Norway (A royal blend of Apricot Brandy, Sloe Gin, Sour Mix and Orange Juice). Not my typical kind of drink, but I liked it!

Before we got our entrees the princesses started coming around. We met Aurora, Snow White, Cinderella, and Ariel. Aurora was the best, she was so funny! And PP was also getting a kick out of talking to the servers in Norwegian. We had no idea what they were saying but later he said they were telling him what the princesses were actually like behind the scenes...

PP had the Traditional Kjøttkake
Norwegian Meatballs served with Mashed Potatoes,
Seasonal Vegetables, and Lingonberry Sauce:

He enjoyed it and said it was very good. So I guess that's a plus for the Americanized Norwegian food!

I had the grilled pork chop (Grilled Pork Chop - with Rutabaga Mashed and Apple-Cranberry Chutney):

I actually enjoyed it more than I expected to. I'm not a huge pork fan, but I liked the accompaniments that went with it. It wasn't anything special enough that I recall much about it later, but it pleased me at the time. And the portion was pretty huge! I mean, this was a big piece of pork. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

DH had the lamb (Roasted Rack of Lamb - with Root Vegetable Gratin, Baby Fennel, Lamb Jus, and Mint Pesto):

He enjoyed it and said it would be an 8.5 out of 10. Like me, I think that it was the sort of thing that we enjoyed at the time, but it's not super memorable - you're not going to be saying that it was one of the best things you ever ate, but it was good.

And then we shared the dessert (Sweet and Savory Chocolate Mousse, Traditional Rice Cream - topped with Strawberry Sauce, Apple Cake with cardamom whipped cream):

Honestly, it wasn't the best selection of desserts ever. I'm just not a fan of rice pudding, so I didn't touch that. The mousse was good but it's so rich that I can only eat a little bit. The apple cake was probably the best, but for me it was a little bit of a disappointment because when we had come two years ago, in place of the apple cake was a puff pastry filled with berries that I really loved. I'd give the desserts just a 6.5 out of 10, though PP loved the rice pudding. Those crazy Norwegians ;)

Overall I'd give Akershus a 7.5 out of 10. We enjoyed it more the first time we were there, though it was still decent this time. However, I still strongly feel that this meal is mostly to meet the princesses. It's really not worth the price for the food otherwise. Though at least when we went it was only 1 credit on the dining plan which is a real bargain!

The price per person was $51.99. The boys' two drinks were $10.75 each, and mine was $7.75.

We saved $37.04 with my Tables in Wonderland card here, bringing our total savings with TiW for this trip up to $72.63.

Total for this meal after TiW discount, but including tax and 18% gratuity: $189.54

Love your report!! Really like the looks of Liberty Tree Tavern might have to add that to my ever growing list xx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter