• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

VWL Groupies & Lovers Thread (Special Collectors Edition 2.0) updated 21 June 2023

Muush! Always great to see you!

I was saddened to read about Marty Sklar earlier today on the DIS. Boy did I admire him.

Question - forgive me if this has been discussed, but I was just reading about the Copper Creek units in the DVC magazine, and I'm wondering why the studio and 1BR units only sleep 4? The newer DVC resorts sleep 5.

I missed this the other day but yes - I've been to Glacier. My mom's twin sister lives in Whitefish and my uncle worked for the railroad for many years there. Even did Amtrak from MN to Whitefish but that was eons ago (think 70's! :eek:) So I've been thru Glacier now and then for awhile with the last trip being two years ago and I'm trying to find a time to head up still this year and visit my aunt. Definitely going to the Sun Road and there will be lots of stops along that. You can do that road from West to east and then take Hwy 2 back or vice versa. When you get closer to West Glacier coming back along Hwy 2 from East Glacier there is a rocky wall area that often has Mountain goats on it. You will likely see Mt goats up around the summit of Logan Pass - I've often seen them feeding right along the road on the west side just below the summit. Or they may be along the cliff walls if you look towards the north from the visitors center parking lot. Lots of nice hiking around if you'd like some exercise - including heading up from the Logan Pass visitors center.

If you like historic park hotels stop in at Lake MacDonald Lodge. Also Many Glaciers is a beautiful spot to visit - worth the drive up there IMO. I always get a "The Shining" type feel! :rotfl:

What you might want to do is head to the east side of the park to start and do things there while leaving the west side for your second or third day if you don't have time on the first day. Unless you really like driving twisty roads you don't want to have to head all the way back to the East side a second day. :goodvibes

Whitefish has changed from a sleepy railroad town to a mini-Aspen wanna be - I hardly recognized it. Lots of new and old shops around. A nice breakfast stop is the Buffalo Cafe - popular with locals too. Haven't had lunch there but I've heard it's good. Big Mountain operates a chairlift during the summer I believe and will give great views if you have time for a drive up there. And swimming in Whitefish Lake - a must in everyone's life! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!! Columbia Falls has quite a bit going on too. And don't pass up some Huckleberry pie or ice cream while you're in the area! My family has been picking Huckleberries in those mountains for years and years. :)
Thanks much for the suggestions! I have booked a Red Bus tour to Logan Pass from West Glacier, a boat cruise on Lake Macdonald, and plan on a little horseback riding. I have left day 3 open and may take that drive to Many Glacier, or just hand out in Whitefish.

Huckleberry Pie, will do!

I was saddened to read about Marty Sklar earlier today on the DIS. Boy did I admire him.

Question - forgive me if this has been discussed, but I was just reading about the Copper Creek units in the DVC magazine, and I'm wondering why the studio and 1BR units only sleep 4? The newer DVC resorts sleep 5.

Because they converted existing WL hotel rooms into the villas, the rooms are narrower than villas normally are. There just isn't enough room width for a murphy bed. And even if you could physically fit one in there would be no safe walking around it.

If you look at the pictures of the rooms and then do the mental math of where a murphy would have to go, it is clear it really isn't feasible.

SW

A sad loss for Disney and Disney fans with the passing of Marty Sklar. :sad1:

The WL rooms which were converted for CCV were almost all standard hotel rooms and some of the smallest standard rooms at a deluxe hotel on property - just not enough room unless they had gotten creative with wall berths or something! AKV was the first resort where they took rooms and converted but DVC got all larger Deluxe room's (referencing size, not the hotel type) there which were bigger than the standard rooms at that resort and were able to do 5 in the 1BR's - except the value villas which were the smaller standard rooms that match up to what was converted at WL - and those only sleep 4 also.

Compare to the Poly which had some of the largest hotel rooms on property so they were able to install the Murphy bed in the conversion.

Thanks much for the suggestions! I have booked a Red Bus tour to Logan Pass from West Glacier, a boat cruise on Lake Macdonald, and plan on a little horseback riding. I have left day 3 open and may take that drive to Many Glacier, or just hand out in Whitefish.

Huckleberry Pie, will do!

Ok, just have to share as it's one of my favorite photos I've taken - this is Lake MacDonald from October 2014.

p87811736-4.jpg

Sigh..... No more Flag Family......

Good afternoon Groupies. I just read this page, can someone catch me up on EVERYTHING?? Kidding.:flower1:

I just wanted to say hello, I think of the Groupies often and hope everyone is good.

We hope to attend a meet one of these years (2018 maybe?)

Huugs,

Muush:cloud9:

A Muush sighting! :dogdance:

So great to "see" you drop in. And maybe some day our paths in real life will cross. :)

Ok, just have to share as it's one of my favorite photos I've taken - this is Lake MacDonald from October 2014.

p87811736-4.jpg
What a gorgeous photo! One of our best vacations ever was our trip to Glacier National Park. Such a beautiful place. Thanks for posting this!

Just beautiful Kathy! It's so perfect that it looks like a painting!

What a gorgeous photo! One of our best vacations ever was our trip to Glacier National Park. Such a beautiful place. Thanks for posting this!

Thanks Granny and Lisa!

I too like the painting like quality of the photo Granny. It was a beautiful early fall day, no wind plus the clouds in the sky to add interest. All part of another great trip to Whitefish and Glacier!

p87811736-4.jpg
Beautiful! I wish I knew where all my photos from my road trip were. It was before the time of FB so I know I can't go there. Maybe on my desktop that I never even turn on anymore. I should venture down to the office and check that computer out one of these days.

I have October 1, 2021 marked on my iCal. I'm old now, but I'll really be old then. I hope that I make it for the 50th and if I do, that I can get around. Fortunately, at age 66, I'm still able to walk the parks. I could use to drop a few pounds. That would make it easier to get around.

We still have boxes, most of them in the garage. But the place is looking a lot better, with less clutter. We're trying to fit into this modern house, one without a living room. But it's a nice, single-level house with a really nice nook for a computer. I have claimed that area for my own. And it has a nice area which I call a guest room, that has its own bath and bedroom. Some call it a second master, but I like guest room better. And we're having guests come over during the Labor Day holiday. We'll probably see more people now that we're here than we did when we lived near them.

We did boxes on Friday morning and then went to Magic Kingdom later in the afternoon. I got the son FastPass+ to Space Mountain. We ate at Columbia Harbour House and then took in the fireworks. If you haven't seen Happily Ever After in front of the castle, you will be missing something spectacular. You must plant yourself at the hub and watch the castle overlay. I took a picture of the castle before the fireworks.

PurpleCastle.png

I have October 1, 2021 marked on my iCal. I'm old now, but I'll really be old then. I hope that I make it for the 50th and if I do, that I can get around. Fortunately, at age 66, I'm still able to walk the parks. I could use to drop a few pounds. That would make it easier to get around.

We still have boxes, most of them in the garage. But the place is looking a lot better, with less clutter. We're trying to fit into this modern house, one without a living room. But it's a nice, single-level house with a really nice nook for a computer. I have claimed that area for my own. And it has a nice area which I call a guest room, that has its own bath and bedroom. Some call it a second master, but I like guest room better. And we're having guests come over during the Labor Day holiday. We'll probably see more people now that we're here than we did when we lived near them.

We did boxes on Friday morning and then went to Magic Kingdom later in the afternoon. I got the son FastPass+ to Space Mountain. We ate at Columbia Harbour House and then took in the fireworks. If you haven't seen Happily Ever After in front of the castle, you will be missing something spectacular. You must plant yourself at the hub and watch the castle overlay. I took a picture of the castle before the fireworks.

View attachment 257381
Thanks for the invite to stay in your 2nd master, er, guest room! Oh, wait. You were simply describing the place. My bad. pirate:

Hey Muushka, always great to see you around here!!
Julie, I realize you are in NZ by the time I write this but if you happen to read this sometime before back home, hope you have a great time!!

Beautiful picture Kathy!

Good to hear from you Muushka!

Working on school stuff today. Decided to "re-theme" my classroom at school. When I taught elementary I had a Disney themed classroom. I've been hesitant to do that now that I teach middle school. But today I decided I don't care. I'm the one who spends the most time in that classroom and I need it to be my happy place! :teeth: So I just bought a Mickey Mouse themed classroom decor set off my favorite teachers site. I'll try to refrain from printing out too many sets of mouse ears. Hopefully none of my 8th graders will be offended. Maybe I can serve them magic cookie bars and all will be well!

On a sadder Disney note, I just read that Marty Sklar passed away yesterday. I loved watching him on shows we've recorded over the years. Even through the TV screen, one could see his passion for message and imagination of Disney. I'm thinking he may be the last of the classic Disney World execs who were around from the start and whose vision helped guide the Mouse for so many years. Given the current climate of decision making at Disney, it's especially ironic that he has died.

Welcome, ReginaRJ! I have seen but lost a lot of email addresses over the years in order to complain, but I'm sure someone on here has a few. If not, I'm certain the WL main thread (under Disney Resorts) will have a couple. Please pass those along to us if you do find them. Speaking solely for me, I can't seem to keep up with those emails. As for the Flag Family, Humphrey's Unofficial Wilderness Lodge page on a very popular social media site (it has faces, but books not so much) has had several reports that it isn't being offered anymore. More than one person has mentioned they specifically asked a CM about it and were all told the same thing, "it has been discontinued."
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter