Viva Italia Trip report 9/30-10-8,2007

The pictures and write-ups are great. I am so excited. I just booked our trip for September 14th. Yippee!!

Today we traveled to the medival hilltown of Orvieto. Orvieto is in the Umbria region of Italy. It overlooks vineyards and villages and small towns.
There is one main road with many stores. At the top of the hill is the main attaction, the Duomo of Orvieto. It is a cathedral with Italian Gothic architecture! The facade is very beautiful! The inside is beautiful to! After visiting the cathedral ,i went over to one of the overlooks ti take pictures. I thought this location was quite a change from Rome. Beautiful countryside, vineyardsm and very quiet to.
There were not many tour buses visiting Orvieto which i thought was good.
Around lunch time , i sat down at an outside cafe and ordered a pannini with wild boar! It was very good. At another overlook,we had group photos done and some individual ones to. There was time to do some shopping so i bought
several pottery bowls and had them shipped home.

Around 2pm, we left Orvieto to our next resort stay, the Villa Belverdere!:love: Upon arriving at the villa, i thought Disney magic
was happenning! I knew Disney chose this place to give us the experience
of staying at a villa. It was in a valley . Quite a change from Romes hustle and bustle traffic noises! It is very quiet at the villa. Birds singing in the morning instead of cars . The countryside is beautiful. Some of us would sit
at the landing and share a glass of wine in the evening. The lights of the towns below us would shine. We saw great sunsets to.

On our first evening, there was a wine tasting. Compared to the one i had
in Switzerland many years ago, the villa's was the best. There were 3 wines:
one white and 2 red. The chef described the varous wines and told us the regions where they were made. He really wanted us to relax and enjoy each one. I learned alot also.

When the wine tasting finished, it was time for dinner in the wine cellar. It was a candlelight dinner to. A very relaxing and enjoyable time. By now it was late evenning and time to head to my room to sleep.

My room was up the hill from the villa reception area. There are 2 paths
one well lit and the other kind of dark , some lighting. I took the dark path with some of my friends. I almost slipped and fell on the path :rotfl: It maybe
due to all the wine that night. I said to my friends, ''If Leo and Heidi do a head count tommorow and there is one missing, just tell them i fell of the path!" I did get to my room with no trouble.

The next evening we took the well lit path.

The theme for the next day was Tuscan Holiday!

I am also back from the same trip as Steve...HI STEVE! I'm sorry I led you down the dark path...ha ha...I just got back today as we were in London. I didn't like London like I LOVED Italy. I'm utterly pooped tonight so I will add comments tomorrow. Would just like to say that I had a wonderful time. It was truly fantastic. I am glad to be home with my husband though!:love:

I am also back from the same trip as Steve...HI STEVE! I'm sorry I led you down the dark path...ha ha...I just got back today as we were in London. I didn't like London like I LOVED Italy. I'm utterly pooped tonight so I will add comments tomorrow. Would just like to say that I had a wonderful time. It was truly fantastic. I am glad to be home with my husband though!:love:

Lol ha ha Hi Ronny! Thats alright . I really loved Italy to. I am glad you are
back home after your long trip.:)

I'm loving your trip report! :goodvibes We so want to do this trip in the summer with the family. Do you know what the children did during the wine tasting and dinner in the wine cellar? Our daughter is 12 and she likes to be all grown up one day but a little girl the next!;)

I'm loving your trip report! :goodvibes We so want to do this trip in the summer with the family. Do you know what the children did during the wine tasting and dinner in the wine cellar? Our daughter is 12 and she likes to be all grown up one day but a little girl the next!;)

During the wine tasting ,i think there a seperate dinner for children an hour earlier than the dinner for adults. It was followed by a disney movie.
Some children did go with the parents in the wine cellar to.

The next day was a fun day and the theme was a Tuscan holiday!
In the morning, we departed the villa to go the Castello Vicchiomggio for a pasta making party. The Castello is a castle that was filmed in the movie ,'Much ado about Nothing'. I thought i would never be able to make pasta. I did alright however, i needed to make the pasta thinner. The chef
helped me by rolling it through a pasta machine.I enjoyed this event!
At the conclusion of the pasting making, we had lunch at the castle . There
was 2 type of pasta. One had a wild boar sauce! Dessert was biscotti and dessert wine to dip it in. This was very tasty!

After lunch , we had a tour of the wine cellar. We arrived back at the villa
in the afternoon . The afternoon was left for us to do ourselves. I bought 2 bottles of wine and then explored the grounds. There are some walking trails
on the grounds. I tried to see where some of the lead to. In the evening , the
Villa presented a Tuscan BBQ for dinner. The beef and pork were very good but the chicken was rather small. Still i enjoyed it.

Steve, did the children that went taste the wine? We're probably going to do this trip in the early Summer...we were on the fence, but after reading this trip report...;)

I'm thinking my 17 year old may want to do so. Whether we want him to will be another decision, but I know drinking laws are different there so I didn't know what ABD did about allowing/not allowing it. (In some ways I guess it would be easier if they said no.)

The next day was a fun day and the theme was a Tuscan holiday!
In the morning, we departed the villa to go the Castello Vicchiomggio for a pasta making party. The Castello is a castle that was filmed in the movie ,'Much ado about Nothing'. I thought i would never be able to make pasta. I did alright however, i needed to make the pasta thinner. The chef
helped me by rolling it through a pasta machine.I enjoyed this event!
At the conclusion of the pasting making, we had lunch at the castle . There
was 2 type of pasta. One had a wild boar sauce! Dessert was biscotti and dessert wine to dip it in. This was very tasty!

After lunch , we had a tour of the wine cellar. We arrived back at the villa
in the afternoon . The afternoon was left for us to do ourselves. I bought 2 bottles of wine and then explored the grounds. There are some walking trails
on the grounds. I tried to see where some of the lead to. In the evening , the
Villa presented a Tuscan BBQ for dinner. The beef and pork were very good but the chicken was rather small. Still i enjoyed it.

Love the trip report! Thanks so much for all of the insight. In the afternoon, while you were on your own, what other options did you have to occupy yourself? Were there any sights near-by or could your rent a bike to ride around? Did you find some interesting characters at the villas to talk with about the area with?

Steve, did the children that went taste the wine? We're probably going to do this trip in the early Summer...we were on the fence, but after reading this trip report...;)

I'm thinking my 17 year old may want to do so. Whether we want him to will be another decision, but I know drinking laws are different there so I didn't know what ABD did about allowing/not allowing it. (In some ways I guess it would be easier if they said no.)

No, the children did not taste the wine. At dinner there was plenty of soda and water for everyone also.

Love the trip report! Thanks so much for all of the insight. In the afternoon, while you were on your own, what other options did you have to occupy yourself? Were there any sights near-by or could your rent a bike to ride around? Did you find some interesting characters at the villas to talk with about the area with?

There were walking trails on the villa property to explore. One of them lead
to an Etrusian soldier or something. I could not find that path but other people did. I found a path that went inbetween 2 grape vineyalds or fields.It was parallel the villa and then circled up around .The villa is a rustic place and we only about 430 pm -615pm on our own. You can talk with the staff for information
about the area and the history. Its sort of out of way from places to get a bike rental in time.

We left the villa around 815am to go to Florence. We had a walking tour of
Florence with another great local guide. She took us the areas the city is known for ; The Galleria Dell'Accademia(Gallery of Fine Arts- where the Statue of David stands), The Dumo of Santa Maria de Fiore, and the Ponte Vecchio Bridge, and finally San Lorenzo and piazza della sinoria.

The gallery was facinating. Seeing the various works Michelango was commisioned to do and then finishing with the Statue of David is a awesome.
I was in awe see his work. There is also a room devoted to musical instruments that interesting . In addition, a room about Baroque artwork and one about his students.

Next we walked to the Duomo. It is very impressive building. The facade
is beautiful. There were to many people in line to see the inside so we did not have to do that. There is an elevator that takes you up to the top where you have a view of the area. I took plenty of pictures of the church(photos coming!)

The Ponte Vecchio bridge and the Arno River is a nice spot to take photos. Along the bridge there are many jewerly stores , some look very expensive.

The Pizzia della Signoria is where the replica of David stands. You can take pictures here but not in the museum. There is a status of Neptune and other
figures at the square.

We had 4 hours after the walking tour on our own to exlpore Florence!
Florence has alot of squares,trattorias, and places to visit. One of the main shopping areas is the San Lorenzo market. I decided to check out the market.
With my street map i walked from the Signoria square up to San Lorenzo. It about 20 minutes or so to get there. The market is filled with vendors selling
leather goods, silks, and many other items. There are shops to. To me it all looked the same i could not decide where to start.:confused3 I was hungry
so i went to a Trattoira . I ordered a pizza . It came out in 15 minutes ! It was good but not as good as the one i ate in Rome. I went back to the market after lunch and saw some things i liked.
I bought a nice silk tie for myself. There were leather wallets for 5 eros each. I remember Leo saying you can buy nice wallets for 10 Eros. I bought
2 walllets. I met two of the women from the tour and we went into the San Lorenzo church. Late we looked for a place to get gelato . Shopping along
San Lorenzo was fun. The best part of Florence was the Statue of David
and the bridge.

We arrived back at the Villa around 515pm. We had about 2 hours on our own so i did some more walking. Our final dinner at the Villa was a buffet. I enjoyed the wild boar stew and some of the appetizers. :) There was alot of food . Biscotti cookies with the dessert wine was the dessert.:) My final night at the Villa. Tommorow it will be arriderci Villa Beveldere!:sad2:
and then hello Venice!

Regarding wine tasting and children in Tuscany: ABD considers those 15 and up to be "adults". As long as it was okay with the parents, the teens were served wine, and this included our other dinners in Tuscany also. For the 15 and 16 year olds on our trip this summer, it was fun for them to sit with the adults and taste the wine. They found the explanation of wine growing a bit boring, but they enjoyed the experience.

Thats good to know,Thanks California Lady. On my trip the children were much younger.

Thanks Californialady!!!

We will have a 15 and a 17 year old. I'm not sure, but if I had to bet I would say that they would want to taste the wine. Right now my thoughts are that the tasting might be a neat experience for them....after all, when in Rome.... but that the subsequent glasses of wine might not be as available to them as to mom and dad!;)

I know my 11 year old won't be doing it!!!:upsidedow

I have a question for those of you (inc) the OP who have been on this trip from my dh.

Do you think that with all of the free time that you got your money's worth?

My dh looks at all of the free time and starts to grumble about spending the money 'for nothing' and doesn't see much difference than an ABD tour and one by any of the other touring companies. What is your take on that matter?

I know my 11--oops--now 12 year old daughter would like to think she could do the wine tasting ! :lmao: However, she has become a much better eater in the past two years and now will never order a children's meal. I know she would want to eat her meals with us and her 21 year old brother. I'm glad to hear other children ate with the adults. I am still not sure about a tour but it sounds so great.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

I have a question for those of you (inc) the OP who have been on this trip from my dh.

Do you think that with all of the free time that you got your money's worth?

My dh looks at all of the free time and starts to grumble about spending the money 'for nothing' and doesn't see much difference than an ABD tour and one by any of the other touring companies. What is your take on that matter?

Actualy there is not much free time. The most we had was inFlorence and it was only supposed to be 3 but the guides gave us 4. We needed the 4 hours to explore and shop there. There was just maybe 2 hours before dinner at the Villa. Maybe some time in Rome to get acquainted. I looked at other tour
companies also. But for what abd offers in activities and the extras i chose
abd.

I know my 11--oops--now 12 year old daughter would like to think she could do the wine tasting ! :lmao: However, she has become a much better eater in the past two years and now will never order a children's meal. I know she would want to eat her meals with us and her 21 year old brother. I'm glad to hear other children ate with the adults. I am still not sure about a tour but it sounds so great.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!!

Your welcome!
And Venice is coming next:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter