• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting Paris in March...

sheblen

Mouseketeer
I will be visiting Paris in March on a tour and hope to be able to stay behind for a day and go to DLP! What can you tell me about getting to Paris? I don't know where we will stay, but I expect that it may be outside of the city, maybe near the airport. I am sure that my options may vary a lot depending on where we are actually coming from, but I would like to know if public transportation exists for getting to DLP. If I have some control over where I stay, what area (shy of on property) would you recommend for convenience, price, and safety.

Also, are there discounted tickets available for one day only visits?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! Nancy :earsgirl:

The RER is Paris' metro commuter railroad, with lines going through the city itself into many suburban areas. One line (the red one) has it's last stop on one end at DLP called Marne-La Vallee Chessy (Parc Disneyland). Check out the RER Map. The DLP stop is towards the right. Charles de Gaulle airport is on the end of the blue line also towards the right. If you wanted to take the RER from CDG to DLP, you would have to go into Paris first. The trip from the center of Paris to DLP is normally about 30 minutes, so if you have to go from CDG to Paris to DLP, I'd guess the trip would take at least one hour. From the center of Paris to DLP, the RER costs 6 euro each way, and is by far the cheapest way to get there, and is very safe and easy (the only easier way is a taxi, which would be MUCH more expensive).

Each RER stop is also a regular Metro stop. THe Metro is the subway within the city itself, and has many more stops within the city than the RER does. Here is a map of the Metro and RER together. The lines with letters rather than numbers are RER lines, and have arrows at the ends to indicate that they go further than the confines of that map. This map is best for seeing which stops are both Metro and RER stops.

I can't help you too much about accomdations, sorry. We've only stayed at hotels within the city of Paris, once on-site at DLP, and only one night at an airport hotel at CDG. The airport hotel we stayed at is not meant for more than a one night stay, so I would not recommend it unless you are looking for an inexpensive place to spend the last night before going home on an early morning flight (the Hotel Ibis, for the record).

For one-day tickets, there are two options. One is a regular one park ticket, which as of a few months ago was 42 euro, I think. Then there is a park-hopper for 49 euro. For a one day visit, I recommend going to Disneyland Park only and getting the cheaper ticket, and holding off on the Studios. The Studios at DLP are fun, but on the small side, and it's easy to fill a full day at Disneyland Park.

Oh, I think you can get discounted tickets if you have someone who is an AP holder get one for you, but considering how few US residents have APs for DLP, you'd probably have to ask someone on this board for help there. :flower:

The Metro system in Paris is fantastic...very easy to use and navigate. I felt very comfortable using it by myself when I was there a few years ago. Much safer than taking a cab (yikes!) The Disneyland park is right on the metro line (I forget which one but it's the one that takes you to Montmartre, where the artists hang out - also a cool place).

If you are staying in central Paris, the RER Line A is a very convenient way to get to the Disneyland Paris Resort. Disneyland Paris is in zone 5, takes 35 minutes, and costs 6.10€ each way. Also, the RER stations sell a combination pass that has round-trip RER fare and one-day park admission.

If you are staying near the Charles de Gaulle airport, Disney offers a bus that runs between the CDG airport to Disneyland Paris. It is the "Navette VEA," takes 45 minutes, and last November the cost was 14€ each way.

Woody

Thank you all! It sounds like I should be able to get there with no problem. It will be my first trip to Paris, but I am comfortable using a metro system so that should work nicely for us. I will look into the pass and round trip fare mentioned. That sounds promising!

Thanks again, Nancy :earsgirl:

When you purchase your metro tickets there is a small package of tickets, en carne, it is seven tickets I think and it is a savings over buying the tickets single.

When we were in Paris earlier this year, a single ticket ("billet") for the Metro was 1.40 EUR. At booklet of ten tickets ("carnet") was 10.70 EUR. These are valid for the Metro lines.

The Metro does not go to DLP. For that, you will need to take RER line A.

Woody

So depending on where I am staying, I may have to pay for the metro and then also pay for the RER ticket. Is this a correct statement? Or does the RER ticket cover the metro also?

I was looking at the DLP website and am so excited! It is going to be a long wait, but I still have lots of learning to do before then!

Nancy

sheblen said:
So depending on where I am staying, I may have to pay for the metro and then also pay for the RER ticket. Is this a correct statement? Or does the RER ticket cover the metro also?

If you start your trip at an RER stop (which if inside the city, will also be a Metro stop), then all you need is an RER ticket. :flower:

MinnieYC said:
If you start your trip at an RER stop (which if inside the city, will also be a Metro stop), then all you need is an RER ticket. :flower:
MinninYC is right.

Also, when you return from DLP to Paris on the RER, you can transfer from the RER to the Metro at no charge as long as you do not exit the Metro station.

Woody

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter