Visiting Aulani with kids and no car seat

Sepidpooy

Earning My Ears
We have two kids and don't plan to rent a car while visiting Aulani. Is there there is a taxi service that we can book to get us from airport to the hotel with child car seat ?

Carrying two car seats from our home just to use them from airport to hotel and back is a lot of work for a tiny reward :D I wonder what does other people that go to Aulani with kids do if they don't plan to rent a car.

Just to be clear - when you say "visiting Aulani" do you mean just going to see it for a day while you are in Hawaii? Or will you be staying there?

We've used an inflatable car seat in the past. While I wouldn't use it for my DD as an everyday car seat, they work well for travel because they are a million times easy to pack than a regular car seat. The one we have has all the required safety approvals. Ours is called "Bubble Bum" car seat (I have no affiliation with the company),

We have two kids and don't plan to rent a car while visiting Aulani. Is there there is a taxi service that we can book to get us from airport to the hotel with child car seat ?

Carrying two car seats from our home just to use them from airport to hotel and back is a lot of work for a tiny reward :D I wonder what does other people that go to Aulani with kids do if they don't plan to rent a car.
Very few people are going to recommend doing what you're doing. The people who end up disappointed with Aulani are the people who visit and expect it to be their sole source of entertainment for an entire vacation. There is way too much to do all over Oahu to not rent a car, in my opinion.

Just to be clear - when you say "visiting Aulani" do you mean just going to see it for a day while you are in Hawaii? Or will you be staying there?
We will stay in the Hotel for 5 nights. We are traveling there for vacation.

Very few people are going to recommend doing what you're doing. The people who end up disappointed with Aulani are the people who visit and expect it to be their sole source of entertainment for an entire vacation. There is way too much to do all over Oahu to not rent a car, in my opinion.
Yeah, we may ended up renting one but I wish parking fee was more affordable there. Anyway, looks like we need to add a thousands dollar more for just car rental and parking.

We will stay in the Hotel for 5 nights. We are traveling there for vacation.
Thanks for clarifying. There are a few shuttle services that will get you between the airport and Aulani. I've seen the vehicles and doubt they require car seats. Can't really help more than that because I've never actually tried one. I'm sure you'll hear from others with suggestions.

Thanks for clarifying. There are a few shuttle services that will get you between the airport and Aulani. I've seen the vehicles and doubt they require car seats. Can't really help more than that because I've never actually tried one. I'm sure you'll hear from others with suggestions.
Car seat is required for children. Otherwise, it is a liability for the driver or the taxi company. Some drivers may not enforce it because they don't want to lose the customer but we can't really risk our rides to hotel to the mercy of a driver.

Car seat is required for children. Otherwise, it is a liability for the driver or the taxi company. Some drivers may not enforce it because they don't want to lose the customer but we can't really risk our rides to hotel to the mercy of a driver.
I believe @OKW Lover is talking about something like a van or a bus where car seats are not required, not a normal car.

Taxis in NYC (for example) are excluded from car seat rules. Not sure about rules there

Our kids are booster age so we use inflatable and cheap ($37 on Amazon) bubble bum seats. Weigh nothing and take up no space in transit.

But we have booked private transport with car seats in the past. The company we used last was a mess so I won’t suggest them - but I bet almost all have car seat options if you book far enough in advance.

Meh. I think it can go either way. People go on resort holidays all the time. Especially with young kids. Honestly, I know Aulani doesn’t want to hear it, but they should be able to accommodate a resort only 5 night stay given the size.

Meh. I think it can go either way. People go on resort holidays all the time. Especially with young kids. Honestly, I know Aulani doesn’t want to hear it, but they should be able to accommodate a resort only 5 night stay given the size.
Most places that people go to for resort-only trips don't require a 6 to 11 hour flight.

I'm sure there are some, but I don't know many people who want to make that kind of commitment just to sit by a nice pool and beach. There are nice pools and beaches much closer and cheaper.

Most places that people go to for resort-only trips don't require a 6 to 11 hour flight.

I'm sure there are some, but I don't know many people who want to make that kind of commitment just to sit by a nice pool and beach. There are nice pools and beaches much closer and cheaper.
Maldives, Bora Bora and other resorts in Hawaii are definitely resort only and expensive to get to and stay at - just off the top of my head.

I get the not just sit by the nice pool and beach idea - but a hotel of this size should have more. More/better food options. More activities. A bigger kids club. I think Aulani pumps this revisionist narrative that it should just be a place to rest your head while you drive all over the island - but I think they just didn’t plan for the tremendous amount of rooms they built.

The Hawaii State Legislature provides details on statute 29.11.5 which indicates taxis (as a commercial vehicle) are exempt:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/vol05_ch0261-0319/hrs0291/hrs_0291-0011_0005.htm
(b) Operators of the following motor vehicles shall be exempt from the requirements of this section: emergency, commercial, and mass transit vehicles. Further exemptions from this section may be established by the department of transportation pursuant to rules adopted under chapter 91.​

I have seen some debate if ride shares qualify for the exemption due to the wording of the statute, but from this layman’s view, they were pretty clear in defining the rule for car seat use as not required for all commercial use vehicles, as opposed to how they defined metered taxis for seat belt exemptions. But I believe many ride share may not take the chance since the driver is responsible for any penalties- unlike CA where the people hiring the car are responsible. We paid a lot of cancelation fees to Uber/lyft on one trip to DLR.

That being said, to the OP - it sounds like you’re looking for taxi companies which can provide car seats, not looking to avoid using them. It may be helpful to provide their ages so people know what kind of seats you need. Some of the car hires can provide seats, and some ages are ok for boosters, so you could use inflatables.

The only way to know for sure is to call the company you’re thinking of using to check. People have commented on other forums that Charley’s Taxi has them but you have to book ahead of time.

Last edited:
OP: you’re planning on flying a significant distance to go to a tiny island in the middle of the ocean for a vacation. The trip itself is far from a necessity.

I disagree with your statement that bringing car seats for your young children “is a lot of work for a tiny reward”. Your subsequent post, that a ‘taxi needs to comply with car seat requirements, that some drivers may not enforce it to ensure they keep the customer, but you cannot risk the drive from the airport to hotel based on the mercy of a driver’ could be read as you considering transporting your children in a car without car seats if the driver were to allow it. The safety of one’s children should be of utmost importance. Well above and beyond any vacation.

Others have recommended a shuttle service, that due to the large size of the vehicle, like a bus, would not necessitate car seats. Do that if you cannot find a car service that guarantees they will provide car seats. Or, while it might be a bit stressful, take your own car seats. It is not a tiny reward. Or, don’t go on the trip.

Hi OP,

You might want to join a few Aulani Facebook groups to find additional information. There are shuttles available that do not require car seats or car services or limos services that will provide car seats for your vacation. I used to always carry my Costco Scenera Next car seats to Disneyland, until I realized I could hire shuttles with car seats and did not have to carry my own through the airport. It was a lot easier so I hear you on that.

There are also tours/guides that provide car seats if you decide to leave the resort to explore the islands. Hawaii is a magical place no matter what you decide to do. I hope you have a great vacation!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter