Virgin Downtown Disney Check In- Beware!!!!

Nigel50

Earning My Ears
Not sure if this has been posted before, but we have just returned from 2 weeks at WDW, and when we arrived at Downtown Disney to find that Virgin are now weighing all baggage checked in there. We were informed that any single suitcase over the 25kg allowance would be charged as excess baggage, and not be taken into account in the overall party allowance. Our party consisted of 4 adults, and one infant. Total Baggage allowance would normally be 4 x 25kg = 100kg. Our suitcases weighed 10kg, 16kg, 18kg and 30kg respectively, total = 74kg, but we were charged $35 (£17) for the large suitcase which was 5kg overweight. We were offered the chance to split the contents, but the suitcases were a set and each had been filled to its limit, so we had no choice but to pay the excess. The $35 excess is not a large amount to pay, but at the welcome meeting we were told the baggage allowance was 2 suitcases per adult, with no mention of the limit on individual bags. When we said this had not been the case in previous years we were told by the Virgin staff that they had come to realise that the baggage limits from the Downtown Check In had been abused in the past, and since introducing this policy, Virgin were 'Making huge amounts of money'. I understand that all Airlines now operate this policy, so I thought it might be useful to warn future users of this facility to keep the weight of individual bags down, possibly by buying more suitcases (which take up more room on the aircraft).:rolleyes1

Not sure if this is still true, but it used to be that travelers with tickets originating in the U.S. followed the "piece" rule: two pieces per coach passenger without weight restrictions, whereas travelers originating in Europe followed the weight rule. My trip last week originated at Orlando and I only had one check-in bag but they still weighed it. I did this at the airport; I avoided checking-in at DD because the website said their was a fee to check-in there. So did part of your £17 charge include the remote check-in fee?

BobK/Orlando

Hi Bob,

No, the fee was purely for the excess bag. We had a voucher from Virgin Holidays allowing uncharged use of the Downtown Check In.

I know when we checked-in in September, they were weighing anyone's suitcase that looked medium to large size. We had a 3-in-1 set of suitcases (the ones that stack inside each other). The two smaller ones were not weighed, but the biggest of the three was. However, it was still like 5kg under weight. We don't have to worry too much this year about baggage allowance, since we're going PE. On the way out, our 3 cases together only just added up the maximum allowance of 1 bag!!! :lmao:

As for the fee at DTD check-in, it is applicable to all Virgin Atlantic customers. The service is free, however, to all Virgin Holidays customers - a voucher is provided in the welcome pack when you first arrive.

The rules regarding luggage have been the same for quite a while now,

"Two pieces of luggage per passenger, each weighing up to 23kg (50lbs). When added together, the three dimensions of any piece of luggage must not exceed 158cm (62in)."

Two pieces per passenger not weighing more than 23Kg each.
Nowhere does it say you can pool luggage allowances. Any case over 23Kg is breaking their terms and conditions and is excess baggage weight.

Our suitcases were also weighed, this was 2 weeks ago, but they don't bother weighing holdalls.we had 3 suitcases and 3 holdalls.

Our medium and large cases were weighed but as Obi points out we had been very clearly advised in advance of departure of the baggage policy and weight limits and knew what to expect.

In May one of our cases was too heavy on the way home. We knew the rules but had no way of weighing the case at the hotel so just hoped for the best. When it was weighed at DTD, it was overweight so we had the choice of paying the excess weight charge or buying a Virgin soft holdall for about $30 (I think) from the check in staff. We bought the holdall, took some stuff from the case and it was fine.

In fact the holdall will be useful to pack in the case for future trips. Yes, we probably paid over the odds for it but it was convenient.

I must admit we used to like it when cases often weren't weighed at DTD. We often got away with slightly too heavy bags. As someone said earlier, they always weigh the large cases now as they can just see there is a high chance they will weigh too much.

Mandy :)

Just to put another spanner in the works-anyone considering doing the Virgin DTD Check in the price has recently increased from $5 per person to $10 per person.

Just to put another spanner in the works-anyone considering doing the Virgin DTD Check in the price has recently increased from $5 per person to $10 per person.

UNLESS
You are booked with Virgin Holidays
Are flying Upper Class
Are a Flying Club Gold Member

then there is no charge.

We never felt it was worth $5 so no chance of me paying $10 ($30 for 3 of us) much prefer to do online checkin then bag drop at airport, free and never more than 5 mins to drop bags. Lines always been too long for me at DTD but we only go school hols when busy.

Can I just say that we were fortunate not to be charged by Virgin at Orlando International.

I should point out that, despite what it says in the large print about 2 x 23kg max, British Airways currently continue to operate a policy of allowing 2 x 32kg until at least November 2008 according to both their website small-print and a BA representative with whom I recently spoke.

I guess the moral of the story is that you need to stay away from the Outlet malls during your visit in order to keep your largest suitcases under 50lbs!! The British Pound is just too darn strong right now.

BobK/Orlando

I guess the moral of the story is that you need to stay away from the Outlet malls during your visit in order to keep your largest suitcases under 50lbs!! The British Pound is just too darn strong right now.

BobK/Orlando

Not when you get an allowance of 3 X 32KG and there are three of you going! :banana:

They dont seem to weigh PE cases at DTD - presumably because of the bigger limit.

1 family were having to redistribute thier luggage as we checked in and I heard the little lad with them say to his father - "look those people arent having their bags weighed dad !!"

This added to the feeling of guilt I had as we were the only ones in the PE line and therefore bypassed a long economy queue -

however I soon got over it :)

They dont seem to weigh PE cases at DTD - presumably because of the bigger limit.

ours got weighed a couple of weeks ago and we were in PE. The baggage handlers must have an eye for what is going to be near the limit and what isnt. I must say that our suitcases are right up to the maximum dimensions allowed by virgin, and so look massive!
we also went in front of the queue because of paying the extra for PE, but we have also done economy last year so know what a long wait it is especially in the heat.

ours got weighed a couple of weeks ago and we were in PE. The baggage handlers must have an eye for what is going to be near the limit and what isnt. I must say that our suitcases are right up to the maximum dimensions allowed by virgin, and so look massive!
we also went in front of the queue because of paying the extra for PE, but we have also done economy last year so know what a long wait it is especially in the heat.

The 10 minute wait we "endured" at 8.15 in the morning a week last Sunday was awful;)

We have never checked in at DTD and to be honest won't bother.We have never waited more than 20 mins at the airport to check in.Staying onsite we have always left our bags with bellservice and have always collected them about 3 hrs before the flight to get ME back to the airport.Checking the bags in and then having to move them over the way to go on the belts is a bit of a pain but still:surfweb:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter