Very odd ?, what's that flu "smell"

Oh cool, I don't need to worry about this being an old thread because it's already been, like, quadruple-necroed.

I've been starting to panic a little because i've been through a pretty terrible flu, and, well, I've always noticed that terrible flu smell, it's very distinct, and... 2 days after all other symptoms disappeared, it's still there. Not only that but even though my nose is no longer stuffed up AT ALL, it's still affecting the smell and taste of EVERYTHING. In addition, and i'm not sure if this means anything, but, you know that feeling you get when you breath really fast through your nose and it's too cold outside? like the air is too cold and it hurts your nose? that's what it feels like when i breathe through my nose right now even though i'm warm and indoors and it's not stuffed or running at all anymore. That's probably related. I mean, I'm pretty sure all i have to do is wait a couple more days... but.. that's also what i thought a couple days ago, i'm starting to worry that i'll never enjoy food again. Stuff always tastes like this to me while i'm sick, but i don't know if it's ever lasted this long after all other symptoms went away. Sometimes it straight-up makes me nauseous, especially when i try to eat meat, because the odd taste combined with the meat sets something off in my mind trying to tell me the meat is bad, even though my logical mind knows it only tastes like that because of the aftermath of the flu.

I've been looking up everything on the internet to try and find something i can do about it, or at least see if it lasting this long is somewhat normal. I found plenty of things about "losing smell and taste" during and after flu, most of it seems like what's happening to me, but no real answers except wait and go to the doctor if it persists for a very long time, and maybe try apple cider vinegar (which I'll do next). This is literally the only place I could find mentioning the specific "flu smell and taste" which i've always experienced, and always had trouble explaining to other people. So I signed up for this forum just to post in this thread. I figure I should just calm down and wait, but if anybody has had a similar experience or knows anything please let me know, thanks. I'll also try some apple cider vinegar, and i'll try some very spicy ramen with sriracha and habanero sauce to clear out my sinuses.

I think I know what you mean. I have chronic sinusitis and sometimes the smell is the first symptom that I notice. I think it's the smell of infection mixed with that coppery blood smell. Is that the smell you are talking about?

Oh cool, I don't need to worry about this being an old thread because it's already been, like, quadruple-necroed.

I've been starting to panic a little because i've been through a pretty terrible flu, and, well, I've always noticed that terrible flu smell, it's very distinct, and... 2 days after all other symptoms disappeared, it's still there. Not only that but even though my nose is no longer stuffed up AT ALL, it's still affecting the smell and taste of EVERYTHING. In addition, and i'm not sure if this means anything, but, you know that feeling you get when you breath really fast through your nose and it's too cold outside? like the air is too cold and it hurts your nose? that's what it feels like when i breathe through my nose right now even though i'm warm and indoors and it's not stuffed or running at all anymore. That's probably related. I mean, I'm pretty sure all i have to do is wait a couple more days... but.. that's also what i thought a couple days ago, i'm starting to worry that i'll never enjoy food again. Stuff always tastes like this to me while i'm sick, but i don't know if it's ever lasted this long after all other symptoms went away. Sometimes it straight-up makes me nauseous, especially when i try to eat meat, because the odd taste combined with the meat sets something off in my mind trying to tell me the meat is bad, even though my logical mind knows it only tastes like that because of the aftermath of the flu.

I've been looking up everything on the internet to try and find something i can do about it, or at least see if it lasting this long is somewhat normal. I found plenty of things about "losing smell and taste" during and after flu, most of it seems like what's happening to me, but no real answers except wait and go to the doctor if it persists for a very long time, and maybe try apple cider vinegar (which I'll do next). This is literally the only place I could find mentioning the specific "flu smell and taste" which i've always experienced, and always had trouble explaining to other people. So I signed up for this forum just to post in this thread. I figure I should just calm down and wait, but if anybody has had a similar experience or knows anything please let me know, thanks. I'll also try some apple cider vinegar, and i'll try some very spicy ramen with sriracha and habanero sauce to clear out my sinuses.
Have you tried opening up all the windows and doors and airing the house out completley (even if it is cold?)---a good half hour of everything open? Plus washing all bedding and clothing you wore while sick? The one time my oldest had a very bad flu, worse than any other anyone in our home has ever had, that was what it took to get the lingering smell to go away afterwards.

Thank goodness its not an old thread nomore.
I was smh reading this

Its not you only!
When my brother was sick i could smell it too.
And i think the answer is simple even tough im not a biologist.

Cells fighting of flu virus leaves chemicals behind of their own and dead cells, mix those with air + sweat and you get your "sick smell"
So its not your breath, or your bed or just only you.
Every1 can smell it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter