Very frustrating

a Dvc owner who may spend twice a much per year in resort dues and food on there vacation

You pay the dues whether you travel or not, so I doubt it's a factor in Disney looking at cashflow potential.

Locals with AP do help make up the political climate they operate in, which is a "soft" cost.

So how is a AP holder who lives in the surrounding area who gets a FL discount spending about $800 a year. Get ahead of a Dvc owner who may spend twice a much per year in resort dues and food on there vacation.
As far as off property stay that Chuck talk about. So all on property guest dvc and non dvc lose all rights to our on property stay fast pass , EMH , dining and you are OK with them getting reservation before them. Just because they spent $5000 on tickets. That was one of the perks to staying on property if it sold out for the day on-site stays where able to get in.

Most FL resident AP holder go much more often than your average DVC members during normal once or twice annual DVC vacations, and likely spends much more over the course of a year than $800 on food. And remember, dues are not all profit for Disney. I'm guessing with the 12% management fee (which is what I pay Century 21 for rental property management), they're making about $325 profit on my 345 OKW points. The rest goes to resort expenses, upkeep, utilities, emergency services,transportation, housekeeping, taxes, insurance, refurbishment funds, legal fees...all of those should be audited regularly with actual, contracted costs accounted for...including some adjustments in 2021 for the down time. Well, not on taxes or insurance, of course, but transportation, resort specific employees, and housekeeping.

Last edited:
DVC owners do stay at the All Stars. I certainly have. I think she's talking about regular Disney resort guests that got "walked" from the All Stars to OKW. *They* are very happy ;).
I prefer POP over ALL Stars, and do stay there occasionally (usually just a night or two), if I happen to run low on points.

I actually don't have an issue with AP's getting ahead of the room-only reservation pool. I expected that. What I take issue with is letting people with only tickets be ahead of folks with only room reservations. I guess from a Disney revenue standpoint I don't see the difference. They put out the money for tickets, we put out the "money" (initial buy in/dues for DVC or room cost for cash guests) for a resort stay. Both groups made a commitment, but Disney chose to prioritize tickets $$ over resort $$. I realize that's their choice, but I don't have to like it.

I'd say I'm significantly more than "mildly dissatisfied". My husband was looking at the new DVC sales incentives for existing members with stars in his eyes yesterday and I just laughed at him - "don't even think about it!"

Last edited:
So how is a AP holder who lives in the surrounding area who gets a FL discount spending about $800 a year. Get ahead of a Dvc owner who may spend twice a much per year in resort dues and food on there vacation.
As far as off property stay that Chuck talk about. So all on property guest dvc and non dvc lose all rights to our on property stay fast pass , EMH , dining and you are OK with them getting reservation before them. Just because they spent $5000 on tickets. That was one of the perks to staying on property if it sold out for the day on-site stays where able to get in.

If an onsite guest and an offsite guest both had tickets, onsite guests were let in first. It is a perk of being onsite....the key here is BOTH has tickets.

Right now, people upset choose not to buy them before May 28th. Some made the choice not to spend that $5K when they booked their trip because they figured they had time.

So yes, someone who already bought the ticket gets first dibs. Disney decided that was the fair way to do it because when those people bought those tickets, Disney did Not have a park reservation system.

Right now, people upset choose not to buy them before May 28th. Some made the choice not to spend

Oh yeah thats right another thing disney did without any notice but because your friend was lucky to buy before that surprise shutdown. You thinks right thing to do.

Right now, people upset choose not to buy them before May 28th. Some made the choice not to spend

Oh yeah thats right another thing disney did without any notice but because your friend was lucky to buy before that surprise shutdown. You thinks right thing to do.

I think it is more akin to like when airlines started charging baggage fees. I don't fly the legacy carriers that charge often, the last time I did, I purchased a ticket a few weeks before they started charging for checked luggage, so I was grandfathered out of having to pay to check my bag. No one knew they were going to switch to paid baggage. With Disney, if you bought a park ticket before they announced the park reservation system, they were grandfathered to first dibs. If you waited to buy your air ticket later you paid baggage fees, if you waited to buy your park tickets, you don't get first dibs. I'm sorry if that upsets you, but grandfathering is the way most similar situations are handled. Even down to when you purchased a DVC resale contract. Older resale purchasers were grandfathered into some perks, newer purchasers were not.

Fair is fair but my point to the whole debate is why Dvc did not give its members a heads up on how this thing was going down. Could have told us about the reservation restrictions before it was released to the public. This is not about dvc vs regular guests . Its that dvc left us in the dark and lack of Communication to its members!

I happen to agree with @Sandisw and I have a whole grand villa of family that didn't buy their tickets before Disney decided to stop selling them. I even encouraged them to go to third party ticket sellers and buy before the window of opportunity shut there, too. And they didn't do it.

Someone was going to get disappointed, no matter what Disney decided to do. As DVC owners, the only thing that we are guaranteed is the accommodations. Park entry and resort amenities are not a given.

OTOH, when someone purchases a park ticket or AP, it entitles them to park entry unless the park has reached capacity. IMO, it would be irresponsible of Disney to sell tickets to anyone with a DVC or hotel reservation without making an effort to ensure that those who already have tickets can use them.

It stinks, but it was a Sophie's Choice. Someone was going to be happy, someone was going to be very unhappy and then some were going to be irate.

So when I book something 11 months ago and someone else books in May 2020 they should be Grandfathered in ahead of me ? Just a little confused. I have had a commitment for 11 months?

Strictly speaking, they aren't the same. A room only reservation, cash or DVC, in Disney speak, is exactly that. I do understand where you are coming from, I had an 11 month 2 bedroom booked for earlier this month, but DVC, no matter how early they are booked, are still room only. That said, if you had booked Dining reservations in the parks at 6 months out, that should have been a clear indication of your intent, since they usually require a CC guarantee, and, IMO should have served as a park reservation for that day for whichever park your dining was booked. Unfortunately, Disney took a different view of the situation, OR canceled Dining Reservations prior to designing the park reservation system (the latter is most likely), and it is what it is. As soon as I saw some of my dining for June disappear, I knew the writing was on the wall, and just cancelled the room and remaining dining, as well as the fastpasses, which I had the best fastpass line up I'd had in years, given the make up of my traveling party...some thrill lovers, some motion sensitive, and I was able to book the thrill rides for the thrillers and the slow rides nearby for the sensitive people within minutes of each other...that rarely happens, usually one group is always sitting waiting on the other.

And truthfully, DVC likely wasn't a part of the conversation at all, I doubt Terri was even at the table...this is a theme park issue, and to them a "room only" is a "room only" is a "room only"...you either had active tickets on your MDE or you didn't. This is where having different operating divisions; theme parks, dining, hotels, DVC can complicate things instead of all being under a single division. It is like that with any large corporation with multiple divisions each responsible for their own separate areas. The old adage about the left hand not knowing (or needing to know) what the right hand is doing.

Okay, honestly, I think it is the right thing to do regardless. I know you are upset but just because someone I don’t agree that DVC owners are entitled to jump the line, doesn’t mean you need to get snarky because I don’t agree with you.

ETA: It wasn’t being lucky,.it was someone who decided to not wait. I always buy tickets for my guesrts when we book. I bought my friends ticket for June in November when I booked the stay.

I’ll only speak for myself, but while I think Disney and DVC dropped the ball in the communication department, big time since announcing opening, I happen to agree with the decision to allow ticket holders, regardless of where they are staying, first shot when they can’t let everyone in.

I simply don’t agree that DVC owners who waited to purchase tickets...for whatever reason...should get to jump in front of someone who did purchase so far in advance.

I have a few friends going to Disney this summer who rented houses as they are a big group. They bought tickets in the winter and didn’t wait until closer to the trip. Why should they, who have invested well over $5k already in tickets, not get a chance at park days before new tickets are sold?

Simple answer as to why they should not get a chance at park days: They aren't staying on property.

DVC owners should get priority and first choice of days over anyone staying off property. It's the Disney way! (i.e....fast passes at 60 days to get FOP, 180+10 to get ressie's at Be Our Guest). Even DVC gets these practices right. Moonlight Magic go out to DVC guests staying on property. If anything is left, offsite DVC members get a shot at tickets a week later.

DVC members with current reservations, ticket or not, should get priority as communication in this matter was poor. Then offsite guests get an opportunity. If nothing is available for their stay, offer them a refund. With the future of several projects within the parks in limbo, keeping dollars inside the World makes a lot more sense.

So when I book something 11 months ago and someone else books in May 2020 they should be Grandfathered in ahead of me ? Just a little confused. I have had a commitment for 11 months?

Nothing stopped you from buying tickets when you booked at 11 months, so I am confused as to why you keep saying things like you were prevented in doing it.

Fair is fair but my point to the whole debate is why Dvc did not give its members a heads up on how this thing was going down. Could have told us about the reservation restrictions before it was released to the public. This is not about dvc vs regular guests . Its that dvc left us in the dark and lack of Communication to its members!

I would pretty much bet that Disney parks and resorts did not share with CMs it was their plan and that is why we were not told...just like Room only cash guests were not told either

They didnt want it to be leaked. Now, people can be upset with that decision...and I do think it would have been nice to give people a few days warning...although they didn’t shut 3rd party sellers down for about 4 days..

Simple answer as to why they should not get a chance at park days: They aren't staying on property.

DVC owners should get priority and first choice of days over anyone staying off property. It's the Disney way! (i.e....fast passes at 60 days to get FOP, 180+10 to get ressie's at Be Our Guest). Even DVC gets these practices right. Moonlight Magic go out to DVC guests staying on property. If anything is left, offsite DVC members get a shot at tickets a week later.

DVC members with current reservations, ticket or not, should get priority as communication in this matter was poor. Then offsite guests get an opportunity. If nothing is available for their stay, offer them a refund. With the future of several projects within the parks in limbo, keeping dollars inside the World makes a lot more sense.

And that Is certainly an opinion you are entitled to have. My response was really to the notion that those of us who do think the way Disney is handling it’s okay are somehow making excuses for Disney,

It is not making an excuse for someone when you agree with it. So, I am entitled to believe that I think Disney made the right decision,

And that Is certainly an opinion you are entitled to have. My response was really to the notion that those of us who do think the way Disney is handling it’s okay are somehow making excuses for Disney,

It is not making an excuse for someone when you agree with it. So, I am entitled to believe that I think Disney made the right decision,
We had the same issue that we were waiting until 60 days before to buy our tickets but as soon as they announced you needed tickets and a room reservation we bought them and attached them. No matter what way Disney went there would be someone upset you cant please everyone. But you also cant say they didnt give warning that you needed tickets.

We had the same issue that we were waiting until 60 days before to buy our tickets but as soon as they announced you needed tickets and a room reservation we bought them and

You got this information directly from Dvc ? Because I save all my emails from Dvc and don't see anything from them? Some of us don't have time to scan every source of disney information and expect Dvc for information!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter