Vero Beach Adoration 2010 Thread *** Closed now *** Links to 2011 Thread inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a Treasure Coast dining guide - little magazine - the other day. They have a website http://www.diningfunguide.com. Site has a page where you can download PDF versions of the magazine. Granted - it's a commercial product paid for by the advertising - but it has quite a bit of info on various restaurants in Sebastian, Vero Beach, and north St. Lucie County.

Rob & Mary Beth, Jeanette and my thoughts are with both of you and your family. Good Luck with everything and hang in there!

I haven't been on this thread for a while. Our last big trip to WDW was in August when we were at BWV with our 3 sons and their families from around the country. It was a great time except for the "fast pass" I got to the Celebration Hospital. I was in the MK about noon time, in some shade, but the heat (and probable dehydration) got to me and I passed out. Luckily there was no cardiac involvement (I have a stent). I spent the night and was fine afterwards...but I didn't go out much during the day after that.

Our only upcoming Disney trip will be to HHI next November...we blew through 3 years of points on our August trip having 1 2BR and two studios for 10 nights! Hopefully we'll do our next VB trip in 2 years or so. In the mean time, we're going to New Orleans this year between Christmas and NYE. We are also going on a cruise (Celebrity Equinox) in February. I'd love to buy more DVC points, but we love going other places too!

John

Rob & Mary Beth, Jeanette and my thoughts are with both of you and your family. Good Luck with everything and hang in there!

I haven't been on this thread for a while. Our last big trip to WDW was in August when we were at BWV with our 3 sons and their families from around the country. It was a great time except for the "fast pass" I got to the Celebration Hospital. I was in the MK about noon time, in some shade, but the heat (and probable dehydration) got to me and I passed out. Luckily there was no cardiac involvement (I have a stent). I spent the night and was fine afterwards...but I didn't go out much during the day after that.

Our only upcoming Disney trip will be to HHI next November...we blew through 3 years of points on our August trip having 1 2BR and two studios for 10 nights! Hopefully we'll do our next VB trip in 2 years or so. In the mean time, we're going to New Orleans this year between Christmas and NYE. We are also going on a cruise (Celebrity Equinox) in February. I'd love to buy more DVC points, but we love going other places too!

John

Glad you're ok. Heat and dehydration make for a bad time. Thanks for your good wishes. We are really looking forward to our "Dream" trip. Take care

Interesting article in the morning paper.
Indian River County paying to flatten ‘sand cliff' by Disney's Vero Beach Resort
By Henry A. Stephens
Posted November 23, 2010 at 7:49 a.m.
EmailDiscussShare »PrintAAA

PHOTO BY SAM WOLFE, SAM WOLFE

SAM WOLFE/SPECIAL TO TREASURE COAST NEWSPAPERS CJ Koral, 16, left, of Denver, laughs with his cousin Kristen, 12, center, of Buffalo, and sister Jesse, 14, also of Denver, as the three dig in to the top of a large drop-off on the beach in front of Disney's Vero Beach Resort on Sunday afternoon. Heavy surf associated with storms in October eroded the beach and washed out much of the sand, leaving a drop-off of nearly 8 to 10 feet.
WABASSO BEACH — Eleven-year-old William Lafforge said he had a great time Monday jumping from the top of a dune dropoff at Disney's Vero Beach Resort to the beach some 7 or 8 feet below.

"In another 12 months, 11-year-old boys will flatten this to nothing," his father, Scott Lafforge, joked.

The Lafforges are visiting from Dallas, continuing a recent family custom of spending their Thanksgiving vacations here. But they didn't have a cliff on previous visits.

And it's not the kind of fun Disney has in mind for its guests, County Coastal Engineer James Gray said. Disney officials alerted the county to what was a 10- to 12-foot cliff in late October after the first of a series of northeasterly storms hit the coast.

Last winter, Disney's beachfront was included in the first half of the county's $10.3 million North Beach sand-replacement project. County contractors placed almost 300,000 cubic yards of sand, or 17,000 truckloads, from Indian River Shores north to the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge before leaving the beach April 30 for turtle-nesting season.

"The storms hit the whole coast, but here, the Disney area had the worst impact," Gray said.

Gray said he got quotes for shoreline repair and issued an emergency purchase order Friday for $1,200 to Sunshine Land Design Inc. of Stuart to flatten the cliff along 300 feet of Disney's beach access. He said Ranger Construction Industries Inc., which is doing the full sand-replacement job, had bid $3,025 for the Disney task.

Disney spokeswoman Diane Hancock said guests have been advised to reach the beach by a trench hollowed out from the cliff or go the county-owned Wabasso Beach Park to the north, which could make the public beach more congested.

Gray said Sunshine is scheduled to repair the shoreline Dec. 1. He said Disney officials asked the county to wait until after the Thanksgiving break. The week after Thanksgiving and first week of December usually have lower occupancy, he said.

County Commissioner Peter O'Bryan, liaison to the county Beach and Shore Preservation Advisory Committee, said the repair job is required as a condition of the state's beach restoration permit.

"We're doing this now, rather than later, because of the loss of visitors coming to the county," O'Bryan said. "People are canceling their stays and that's less money being spent here on places like restaurants."

Hancock said she wasn't aware of Disney losing business because of the cliff.

Scott Lefforge's wife, Jennifer Lefforge, meanwhile enjoyed the top of the cliff while her husband and sons explored the beach below.

"I've seen pictures online about what this looked like, but it's not as bad as I pictured it," she said. "I'm just concerned about how my mother is going to handle this."

In a few minutes, however, Barbara Riley, 71, showed her daughter, son-in-law and grandsons they needn't worry about her getting to the beach. She took the trench Disney had carved.

"I was not about to jump off this," she said. "I would have sat and wiggled my way down the slope."

Gray said he got quotes for shoreline repair and issued an emergency purchase order Friday for $1,200 to Sunshine Land Design Inc. of Stuart to flatten the cliff along 300 feet of Disney's beach access. He said Ranger Construction Industries Inc., which is doing the full sand-replacement job, had bid $3,025 for the Disney task.

I'm curious if this is going to be the same trucked in in-land sand (similar to the replenishment last year) or sand that is pumped from the ocean floor?

You can see the article at http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/nov/23/indian-river-county-paying-to-flatten-145sand-by/. If you click on the picture it gets larger.

Anybody have any other pictures they can post?

I have pictures from late October that definitely show the 8 - 10 foot cliff. Disney finally began the path they refer to the day we left. It was definetely a problem. We ventured to the beach once a day and didn't come back up until we were done. My DH had to help me up the last bit of the climb. We would have eaten and had drinks at the pool under normal conditions, but the climb was too steep.
I don't know how to post pictures, so if someone can tell me, I would love to show you all.
Thanks

Here is my attempt to upload pictures of the beach from the week of October 10th. The ledge is clearly visible. It was at least 8 - 10 feet high

You can see how much higher it is than even the umbrella we had.

Inn2.jpg

Beach4.jpg

Beach4-1.jpg

Warmest thoughts and prayers go to you and Mary Beth. We met a few years ago at Vero..you were so kind to give our boys a wave board. We are hoping to return again next June. You will both be in our prayers.

Joan

We are at Vero now, We spoke to a worker who was re positioning the benches at the campfire and he says that they will start the work on the beach next week. Disney has made a temporary beach access area that leads to the public beach area to the north, so that guests can use the beach access there. The work is supposed to only last 7 days, but I would hate to be here for those days, they say there is supposed to be bulldozers and other heavy equipment there to help with the project.

Weather here has been awesome, We could not have asked for better! Sonyas has changed their menu, not sure if it matters much to anyone, but I did snag one. I also have a Thankgiving buffet menu. ( originally 30.99 for adults, then lowered to 28.99 a day or 2 right before). The christmas decorations are up. :hippie:

They've flattened the sand cliff at Vero Beach Resort. There is an article in today's local paper.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/dec/01/county-contractors-repair-145sand-cliff-at-of/

From website:

By Henry A. Stephens
TCPalm
Posted December 1, 2010 at 7 p.m., updated December 1, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — County contractors Wednesday leveled a 6-foot sand cliff along part of the beachfront at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, a $1,200 tax-funded job to repair part of a much larger beach restoration project.

"A big part of us coming down here with our vacation dollars is access to the beach — and a nice beach," said Joe Grubbs, a civil engineer visiting from the Pittsburgh area. "The beach is the big draw. Otherwise we could sit at a pool in Orlando and still get the same Disney service we got here."

Grubbs said he and his wife, Rita, and twins Leanne and Rachel, both 14, have stayed at Disney next to Wabasso Beach Park for the last three Thanksgivings. They spent their last morning watching bulldozer operator Randy Pearl, from Stuart's Sunshine Land Design Inc., level the cliff.

The cliff was higher, about 10 to 12 feet, when Disney officials alerted the county to it in late October after the first of a series of northeasterly storms hit the coast. County officials were concerned about safety.

The main beach contractor, Ranger Construction Industries Inc., placed almost 300,000 cubic yards of sand, or 17,000 truckloads, from Indian River Shores north to the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge before leaving the beach April 30 for turtle-nesting season. The contractor is expected to finish the $10.3 million project starting next week.

County Coastal Engineer James Gray said the storms' destruction didn't offset the value of the sand project. He said they had placed 21,800 cubic yards of sand — or about 1,300 truckloads — at the Disney part of the project.

Gray said the storms only took 1,030 cubic yards, or some 60 truckloads, but said it looked worse because of the cliff. And while the cliff was worth repairing, Gray said, Ranger won't be replacing the lost sand in the next phase of the project.

"A 5 percent loss is very minimal," he said.

They've flattened the sand cliff at Vero Beach Resort. There is an article in today's local paper.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/dec/01/county-contractors-repair-145sand-cliff-at-of/

From website:

By Henry A. Stephens
TCPalm
Posted December 1, 2010 at 7 p.m., updated December 1, 2010 at 11:17 p.m.

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — County contractors Wednesday leveled a 6-foot sand cliff along part of the beachfront at Disney's Vero Beach Resort, a $1,200 tax-funded job to repair part of a much larger beach restoration project.

"A big part of us coming down here with our vacation dollars is access to the beach — and a nice beach," said Joe Grubbs, a civil engineer visiting from the Pittsburgh area. "The beach is the big draw. Otherwise we could sit at a pool in Orlando and still get the same Disney service we got here."

Grubbs said he and his wife, Rita, and twins Leanne and Rachel, both 14, have stayed at Disney next to Wabasso Beach Park for the last three Thanksgivings. They spent their last morning watching bulldozer operator Randy Pearl, from Stuart's Sunshine Land Design Inc., level the cliff.

The cliff was higher, about 10 to 12 feet, when Disney officials alerted the county to it in late October after the first of a series of northeasterly storms hit the coast. County officials were concerned about safety.

The main beach contractor, Ranger Construction Industries Inc., placed almost 300,000 cubic yards of sand, or 17,000 truckloads, from Indian River Shores north to the Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge before leaving the beach April 30 for turtle-nesting season. The contractor is expected to finish the $10.3 million project starting next week.

County Coastal Engineer James Gray said the storms' destruction didn't offset the value of the sand project. He said they had placed 21,800 cubic yards of sand — or about 1,300 truckloads — at the Disney part of the project.

Gray said the storms only took 1,030 cubic yards, or some 60 truckloads, but said it looked worse because of the cliff. And while the cliff was worth repairing, Gray said, Ranger won't be replacing the lost sand in the next phase of the project.

"A 5 percent loss is very minimal," he said.

Any new pictures?

I am closing this thread (asking for it to be).

It has been a blast. starbox started this thread in 2007, I took it over in 2008, MiaSRN62 (Maria) took it over in 2009, and I took it back in 2010. NOW... drum roll... Backyardponder (John) has taken the reigns for 2011. Thank you, thank you, thank you, John.

Here is the link to the new 2011 VB Adoration thread. Enjoy :beach:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=39157259&posted=1#post39157259

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter