Variety of Newbie/ish Questions

coolmark18

Mouseketeer
Hey Disboard Team..

So the last time I visted Disneyland Paris was in 2008.
I know find myself going with a large group of two families. For reference, I've been to Cali and Orlando much more recently, and they're semi relying on me for some information.
Heading first week of December, staying offsite, 2 day 2 park ticket.

Some questions so I can prepare them more...
- Am I absolutely correct in forcing them to head to Disneyland Parc Day 1, and then Studios for a half Day 2? They've never been to a Disney Park before and for some reason thought Day 1 was best for studios?
- What are the wait times like for Characters, I've read online they are long... but how long are we talking? How many minutes for a meeting with Mickey? I remember when I last visited, there weren't really "lines" and many of the characters were on a free-roaming free for all. Is it a suggestion to head to one of the hotels on Day 3 (no tickets) to meet some of the Fab 5? Is this easy?
- Is the food still fairly terrible and horrendously expensive and half of it closed?

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help.

Mark

- Am I absolutely correct in forcing them to head to Disneyland Parc Day 1, and then Studios for a half Day 2? They've never been to a Disney Park before and for some reason thought Day 1 was best for studios?
I did a family trip in October, you can read my trip report here https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...isneyland-paris-app-and-premier-pass.3933288/

My party was mainly first timers, so to get that money shot, that wow moment, the OMG I'm in Disneyland Paris , I recommend going to the main park first.

- What are the wait times like for Characters, I've read online they are long... but how long are we talking? How many minutes for a meeting with Mickey? I remember when I last visited, there weren't really "lines" and many of the characters were on a free-roaming free for all. Is it a suggestion to head to one of the hotels on Day 3 (no tickets) to meet some of the Fab 5? Is this easy?
My 8 year old niece loved the free roaming characters in Fantasyland, specifically around The Castle. Its called Villain's Courtyard on the App. Twice, with adult supervision she spent about an hour just going from character to character getting photos and autographs. She was beside herself after getting Maleficent and Gaston.

I tried to do Captain Hook and Peter Pan with her in Adventureland. We got there too late for Peter Pan, they just closed the line. We got in line for Captain Hook, after about 10 minutes he took a break, she decided not to wait and we went to Star Tours instead.

We queued for almost 2 hours to see Stitch, again the choice of my 8 year old niece. We joined the line at 9.26am and she got to the top of the line just after 11am. Stitch switched out every 30 minutes. Us adults took turns waiting in line with her, 20 minutes in a line is my limit :cool:

We tried for Mickey Mouse in his house in Fantasyland. We joined the end of the queue when it opened at 10am, and when I checked on the app it went straight to 90 minutes, so we left. People had been waiting in line outside the building from 9am.

We stayed in Santa Fe Hotel and walked past Goofy. The line didnt seem long and its inside, but we were trying to go for early entry to the parks, so we didnt do the hotel character meet and greet.
- Is the food still fairly terrible and horrendously expensive and half of it closed?
Yes and no.

We had full board standard meal plan and actually I was surprised by the quality of the food. I did a lot of research before the trip. We had the buffet breakfast at our hotel, so we filled up in the morning which did us until lunch time. We had counter service at lunch time and table service / buffet for our main meal in the evening. Outside of our meal plan vouchers we spent very little on snacks or extra food. I did the reservations for the evening meals at 8 months in advance as we were onsite.

Some questions so I can prepare them more...

Thanks in advance, appreciate the help.

Mark
- If I would go with someone entirely new, I would always start with Disneyland Park. That's what they see in commercials, or what they have envisioned about a Disney park. There is so much construction in the Studios at the moment, you can still do a lot but the screens etc. do not make a pretty park (and the Studios were never pretty to begin with ;-) )

- Lines can be long, for Meet Mickey, definitely get in line before 9. Mickey can take 90 minutes easily. There are lines now (thank God). You can go to the hotels to meet some of the Fab 5 in the hotels. You can ask at reception when the characters will be meeting. By heart I say it's in the morning 9-11 and in the evening 6-8, but this probably changes per season, so I advise to ask.

Also to add, I have noticed that in the parks Stitch and Chip 'n Dale get long lines, not necessarily because they are more popular than others, but more that the meet & greet per group can take long. They are all mischievous.

- I do think food has improved over the years.
Good thing, the app is 90% of the time up to date. You didn't have an app in 2008, so seeing if a restaurant is open or closed should be easier. I think prices for counter service and snacks are on par with other theme parks. Table service is overpriced in the parks. You get better value for money eating in Disney Village.
If you want to do a princess meal, I would suggest to go for breakfast, it's the best value for money when it comes to character dining (for adults at least, can't speak for children)

Fairly terrible is subjective, I think most of it is your average themepark food level quality. It goes wrong when people compare it to WDW or DL in Anaheim. As food is much more a priority there than in other parks. I would rather say the food in the US is better than call it bad in Paris. However, I must admit: I had dinner at the Steakhouse in Frontierland last week, the appetizer is the best thing I ever ate on site.

I just did 3 days and we had so much rain. Some outside entertainment got cancelled, but outside rides keep going. They do not close Big Thunder Mountain due to rain like in the US. Advice is: Bring good shoes and dry socks. The drainage system
My 8 year old niece loved the free roaming characters in Fantasyland, specifically around The Castle. Its called Villain's Courtyard on the App. Twice, with adult supervision she spent about an hour just going from character to character getting photos and autographs. She was beside herself after getting Maleficent and Gaston.
Just to add, Villain's Courtyard was there for the Halloween season. It's not there early December.

Great input, thanks to both of you. I've just finished Bad Pink Tink's trip report.

Glad to hear I'm being too harsh on the food. Gutted that Mickey has to be a ropedrop aim! For some reason I assumed, despite being popular, he'd be dotting around the park in various locations to be seen. Eek.
Maybe a trip to the hotel on Tuesday morning (departing day) to get some final photos of the characters might be a shout and time well spent if the wee ones (and me) are dissapointed at the lines.

Checking the lines today, they all look pretty reasonable in Disneyland Parc and an expected riot in the Studios.

Overall, very excited!

I only realize now you are staying off site so being at Meet Mickey before the general public arrives isn't going to work. When the park opens at 9.30 and Mickey starts meeting at 10. By the time you arrive, there will be a line formed by the people having early access.

How important is it to actually meet Mickey? Is waving at Mickey and taking a selfie good enough? Because Mickey is at the train station waving at people as they come into the park in the morning.

Unless it is vital to your visit, I wouldn't start with newbies to stand in line for 60+ minutes. Not sure that is the best start of the day. I would do something like Pirates or Phantom Manor which have a short wait at park opening. Or Big Thunder Mountain to get everyone's adrenaline up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter