Vancouver Question

Quagmire

Earning My Ears
We are going on the May 23rd Alaskan cruise. Are there any must see sights in Vancouver since we will be flying in a day or two early. Thanks.

Stanley park, it has the Vancouver aquarium and a variety of other things to see, there's a nice bike/walkway around the edge of the park by the water, you can see Vancouver's statue of girl with flippers that is similar to the little mermaid statue in Copenhagen.

We did Stanley Park one day, and Lynn Canyon state park the other (smaller, free suspension bridge). We also did the Sea to Sky tour with Vancouver tours as a post cruise excursion-- went to the Brittanica mine, Shannon Falls, and the sea to sky gondolas in Squamish.

Vancouver has a great Hop On Hop Off bus that tours the city and Stanley Park. There is a ticket booth and bus stop in front of the Pan Pacific/Canada Place (at least the last time we were there for the cruise).

Just be aware that right now tickets for most major attractions (including Cap Suspension Bridge and Fly Over Canada) must be purchased ONLINE only and you must pick a day and time. It might be different come spring but for right now this is the only way to do it. And you must be vaccinated to do many attractions (again this may change by the time cruising starts up again in Vancouver).

Our favourite was Stanley Park. Had a long walk surrounded by the big trees, had a late brunch at the Teahouse and then visited the aquarium.

If you're familiar with the TV Show Once Upon a Time, you should visit Stevenston Village. That is where a lot of the show was filmed. My wife & daughter were huge fans, my son & myself not so much but we still enjoyed the town. We also enjoyed Stanley Park.

We visited the following attractions prior to our DCL Alaskan cruise: Stanley Park, Capilano Suspension Bridge Park, Granville Market and the Grouse Grind (if you're wanting to do some serious step workout with 2,800 stairs up to the top of the mountain).

Also, I found the Steam Clock in Gastown to be interesting. It was walking distance from where we were staying at the Pan Pacific.

Thanks for asking this question, Quagmire. ☺️ I was wondering the same thing as we are thinking of a September cruise. Where does everyone stay in the Canada Place area that might be a bit more budget friendly than Pan Pacific?

Grouse Mountain was a lot of fun. The admission ticket includes the Skyride, Peak Chairlift, Guided Eco-walks, range talks at the Grizzly Bear Habitat, Theatre in the Sky, World Famous Lumberjack Show, Pollinators garden, Birds in Motion Demo, and Disc golf.

Reactions: RAD
For those with older kids, we headed out to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology. Easy bus ride (Vancouver has the BEST mass transit). It was the best anthropology museum we've been to in a long time and we go to the Smithsonian Museums three or so times a year.

We liked Stevenston Village. It's an old fishing town/tourist area with restaurants and small shops.

My family lives in this area and I agree it is lovely!

For those with older kids, we headed out to the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology. Easy bus ride (Vancouver has the BEST mass transit). It was the best anthropology museum we've been to in a long time and we go to the Smithsonian Museums three or so times a year.

I've not checked this out but will add it to our list. Sounds up my boys alley.

Thanks for asking this question, Quagmire. ☺ I was wondering the same thing as we are thinking of a September cruise. Where does everyone stay in the Canada Place area that might be a bit more budget friendly than Pan Pacific?

Last time we visited Vancouver, we really liked Hotel BLU. Not walking distance from Canada Place with luggages but a very short taxi ride.

Thanks for asking this question, Quagmire. ☺ I was wondering the same thing as we are thinking of a September cruise. Where does everyone stay in the Canada Place area that might be a bit more budget friendly than Pan Pacific?

We stayed at the YWCA Vancouver Hotel, just off Robson, on our first visit. Everyone had roller bags, and we utilized the lovely train system for a short ride to the Canada Place area, The weekend for a May 23 cruise offers a 2 queen room with private bath for 2A 2C at a $183 CAD + tax. The hotel is co-Ed.

If you have hotel loyalty points, you might get an excellent value for them. I booked my niece in a Hampton Inn (just down the street from the YWCA) at 50K points/ night for a room priced at over $400.

Both of these hotels are near the BC Arena on Robson Street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter