Using points for non-DVC onsite resorts

MARY-IN-OH

DIS Veteran
In searching for answers to my never ending DVC questions, I saw some posts about using points for non-DVC onsite resorts. Somehow I didn't even realize you could do that. How often have you guys done that? It would be nice to experience different resorts or use points for a value on the weekend, I would think, right?. :confused3

I don't remember seeing DVC threads that say "stayed at the Poly with my DVC points"

Some of the posts I read seem to be in regard to letting family members use points but they want to stay at a "regular resort"

thanks,
mary

It isn't terribly cost effective. So most people only do it if they have "extra" points or if they are in a situation where DVC is all booked up and they need to get in a trip (and would rather use points than cash) or other less than ideal circumstances. It isn't a value on the weekend - points go up (if I remember the point chart) on the weekends at the regular resorts just like they do at the DVC resorts.

In searching for answers to my never ending DVC questions, I saw some posts about using points for non-DVC onsite resorts. Somehow I didn't even realize you could do that. How often have you guys done that? It would be nice to experience different resorts or use points for a value on the weekend, I would think, right?. :confused3

I don't remember seeing DVC threads that say "stayed at the Poly with my DVC points"

Some of the posts I read seem to be in regard to letting family members use points but they want to stay at a "regular resort"

thanks,
mary

If by "value on the weekend" you mean value resort like Pop Century, DVC points can't be used at any of the value resorts. They can be used at the moderates and the deluxes that don't have a DVC attached - like the Poly, for example. As the pp said, it isn't a great value (in the sense of worth of your money) to use points that way, because you could almost always rent the points out for more cash than it would cost you to reserve the room.

BUT - if you want a "free" WDW trip and there aren't any DVC villas available, it can be great!! I made a last-minute trip once and stayed at POR on points. It was fun for a change to see another resort and have a different experience.

we live in SanDiego and use our pts to stay at the Grandcalifornian all the time. Not the best bang for your bucks but we live a little over an hr away from DL so that is great for us :thumbsup2

I will be going there again for a weekend get away with girl friends on July 13 and 14th...we got the pts to use them to make us happy so that is how we use them....have not dissapointed my self yet:cool1:

will be staying at the Grandcalifornian again in Dec and than for 7 days in summer of 2008 before our cruise and staying again at the Grandcalifornian in concierge.

We cant always get to WDW,we go there every couple years or so or use our pts towards cruising. WE love our DVC pts....:love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter