Use Year

dreamerle22

Earning My Ears
We are current owners of HH with an August Use Year. The contract was bought by my parents and they added my name a few years back when they needed to make a contract change. I'm looking to buy a contract through resale and trying to determine if a particular Use Year that seems to be ideal.

My family travels based upon the NY school year. Therefore, we tend to mostly travel during Winter Recess (mid-February) and July or August. Occasionally, we travel during Easter/Passover break(March/April), or the Rosh Hashanah break (Sept/Oct.). Should I be looking at a February Use Year or stick with August Use Year? Or a better question, is there a Use Year, I should avoid? Thanks for your help!

If you haven't already, please see the Understanding Use Year thread.

You said you're owners with your parents at HH, but who manages that account? Will you have your parents on your new resale contract too? Having the names on the resale match your existing can add convenience if you go with the same UY. Otherwise they will be administered separately. Additional information is needed for us to better guide you, but ultimately you're the one that will make the decision.

If you haven't already, please see the Understanding Use Year thread.

You said you're owners with your parents at HH, but who manages that account? Will you have your parents on your new resale contract too? Having the names on the resale match your existing can add convenience if you go with the same UY. Otherwise they will be administered separately. Additional information is needed for us to better guide you, but ultimately you're the one that will make the decision.

Thank you for the link! My parents manage the account and they will not be part of the resale contract.

Thank you for the link! My parents manage the account and they will not be part of the resale contract.
Then you will have a totally separate log in, account number, and need to manage the account separately than the HH account.
As for UY based on your first post, there is no perfect UY. I would go with a Feb as you "seem" to make most of your trips within the first 9 months of the year and if you have to cancel then you might be able to bank the points into your next UY.

Last edited:

We are on the NYC school year too, and a February UY was best for us. We'd have to bank by 9/30, and it's only for trips between 10/1 - 1/31 that we would be in a bind (not be able to bank points if we had to cancel). Most of our other trips are covered.

One thing you'd want to look at: points charts. We originally thought we'd go around Easter/April break but it costs too much in points to make it a regular thing (and the gold AP has blockout dates then anyway). President's week is slightly less points, and late August/Labor Day right before school starts up is lowest of all (and lowest crowds - I think the go as low as 2/10!!) because so many people have started school again. I do think February UY makes the most sense because it can cover President's week, the summer, and late September when you can sometimes get a long weekend over the Jewish holidays.

Sounds like Feb would be best, and DEC second choice.

Again though -- UY really only matters as a form of free insurance if you have to cancel the trip after your banking window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter