Uplifting COVID News

Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather is getting nicer, even as up and down as it's been, and I'm excited for a different spring than last spring. Less anxiety, less unknowns, no tape measurer making sure we're at least 6ft apart and so much more.

We're about to have our first firepit night of the year tonight with the in-laws and it's like a kickoff season for that :)

The kids will all be jumping around each other hanging out having laughs and they will probably get close to the teacher. What fun would a trampoline park be, no matter the size, if you have to stay 10feet away from your friend? We have a trampoline park in our area and ain't no one who goes together as a group is keeping their distance from each other in their group. It's just practical to think that they'll all get close together with kids in their classroom and it's a school-oriented event not that a few of the parents are going with their kids. I think it's more that the teacher has been teaching online the whole time and hasn't seen the kids face to face once.

Well, parents who are concerned certainly don’t need to bring their kids. I’m just saying that it’s not particularly risky. In any event, this is supposed to be an UPLIFTING thread. People being judgmental really isn’t necessary.

Well, parents who are concerned certainly don’t need to bring their kids. I’m just saying that it’s not particularly risky. In any event, this is supposed to be an UPLIFTING thread. People being judgmental really isn’t necessary.
Understood but you framed it as not risky because a trampoline park is huge, the kids can stay 10 feet apart, and covid contraction is lower in schools. I totally am not discussing covid contraction in schools as most of the cases are tied to extracurricular activities (which this is tantamount to) or sports nor am I discussing against in-person. But in the PP's situation it's a teacher who has not seen her students. That is riskier than other scenarios we can come up with. A park outside would at least be somewhat less risky. Maybe if all the kids and the teacher and the parents wore masks (which are required in the several trampoline parks in my area) it would help out but the other poster isn't necessarily wrong in bringing up the point. It doesn't matter if you and I think she should have been teaching in-person the whole time because that's not what happened with the poster's daughter. That's why the poster who responded said "if it was too dangerous to have in-person".

The practicality is those kids aren't going to stay 10feet apart from their classmates, they are there on what amounts to a field trip with each other. It's not a few parents met up for so and so's birthday party. I could def. see the advice being stay away as much as you can from those not in the group but realistically suzie isn't going to be staying away from johnny on a group trip here which makes the size moot and the ability to stay 10feet apart moot. That's not going to be fun at all for anyone going on this group trip to not be able to interact with their friends. I don't think the original comment was about being judgy at all. In fact I was actually thinking maybe the poster who brought about her daughter doing this, maybe her daughter didn't even consider the other things especially because she's been teaching online the whole time and other suggestions can be had to still celebrate while engaging in an activity that might be less risky. Not everything that isn't sunshine and daisies has to be perceived as judgy. Sometimes it's just about offering a "didn't even think about" viewpoint ya know? But of course different perceptions. In any case I don't think any harm was meant by questioning the actual activity. The thought of celebrating is still there, just perhaps a different activity could be looked at. In the end it's whatever those parents are willing to sign off on and if the school has signed off on it as well. Def. don't want a back and forth here. Not trying to argue with ya either :)

Agreed, if you're teaching online this whole time now isn't the time to just all of a sudden break that barrier and have a big party where everyone is going to be hopping and jumping and likely bumping into each other. It's not that the idea of celebrating is bad but certainly other ways that can be done, bit of a head scratcher on the choice given.

Parents can also choose to send their kids or not. I know people locally that choose virtual school because they didn't want their kids in masks all day.

Name calling other people judgmental isn't really necessary either. Nor is it uplifting. Further, there is no rule around here that people must adhere to artificial limits on responses that other posters including the one that starts a thread, try to place on it. Besides, she's right. No matter how big the park may be, and some trampoline parks aren't that big, the kids won't stay distanced. I found her correction on that point quite uplifting myself.

My wife and I went out to dinner early today, inside a restaurant, first time in 14 months. Both fully vaccinated. It was pretty neat. Felt a bit strange, but very nice. Lot of rules. Masks except when actually eating or drinking. Great table spacing. Probably half the tables and booths were closed off.

My wife and I went out to dinner early today, inside a restaurant, first time in 14 months. Both fully vaccinated. It was pretty neat. Felt a bit strange, but very nice. Lot of rules. Masks except when actually eating or drinking. Great table spacing. Probably half the tables and booths were closed off.
I bet that felt nice! We have a Cooper's Hawk in my area but I can't say I've been there. Is it a good?

I bet that felt nice! We have a Cooper's Hawk in my area but I can't say I've been there. Is it a good?
Yes, it did. A new experience in the age of COVID.

CH is a very nice restaurant. They have their own winery here in the Chicago area, all their wines served are their own. And very good. It is a more upscale restaurant. Not A Ruth's Chris level, but most meals in the $25-$35 range. Marie had scallops, I had the boneless pork chop. Both meals were excellent. A nice relaxing evening. Give it a try.

Yes, it did. A new experience in the age of COVID.

CH is a very nice restaurant. They have their own winery here in the Chicago area, all their wines served are their own. And very good. It is a more upscale restaurant. Not A Ruth's Chris level, but most meals in the $25-$35 range. Marie had scallops, I had the boneless pork chop. Both meals were excellent. A nice relaxing evening. Give it a try.
Sounds good to me! I'll mention the place to my husband :)

Name calling other people judgmental isn't really necessary either. Nor is it uplifting. Further, there is no rule around here that people must adhere to artificial limits on responses that other posters including the one that starts a thread, try to place on it. Besides, she's right. No matter how big the park may be, and some trampoline parks aren't that big, the kids won't stay distanced. I found her correction on that point quite uplifting myself.
As soon as I read the post that the teacher was taking kids to the trampoline park I thought....

1. She is going to get judgement about it.
2. If parents don’t want their kids to go, they don’t have to send them.

I’m sure that she researched the covid protocols of the trampoline park before planning that day. She is also more aware of cases in her area and may have even contacted parents for their opinions. Pointing out that it’s probably not a good idea is judgement in this situation. It’s uplifting that her students can have a fun day if they choose to.

There are times where Thumper's advice of if you don't have anything nice to say, it's best to say nothing at all still applies. This thread is one of them.

Well said-

I heard on our local news that some of the Smithsonian museums/Nat'l Zoo are going to be opening over the next several weeks. Europe is discussing opening up for US tourists and it would seem we are itching toward a possible no masks needed outside statement from the CDC. I've heard a few anecdotal stories from others about enjoying in person church services as well.

Europe is discussing opening up for US tourists
Recently we watched Aerial Greece (which we've watched other versions of the show like Aerial America, Aerial Britain, Aerial Africa,etc) and now my husband is really wanting to go to Greece...which now will allow, outside of the EU, U.S. citizens. The downside is there are a ton of countries recently added to the Do Not Travel (level 4) list from the CDC Greece being one of them so that part while expected kinda bites. We've been itching to go to Europe for a while now though.

For a thread that is supposed to be uplifting there's jabs going on on both sides so we probably shouldn't pretend it's just one side saying not so nice things.

I just booked our summer vacation and to be fair it's the same place we went last year but this year the feeling of it will just be different. Plus I expect more things to be open.
I am planning a Memorial Day weekend get together with friends, and also going to a huge 4th of July party too.
My ds is going to have a real graduation ceremony and I'll have a party for him and combine it with my 2 college graduates who missed ceremonies and parties the last year.

I'm not concerned at all, if people who aren't vaccinated or who are and don't want to participate in those events then that's fine. I'll be fully vaccinated so I'm not going to worry and I'm just going to enjoy being back to normal.

Edit- forgot we got invited to a wedding. Unfortunately we won't be able to make it but I'm so happy that the couple is able to have a ceremony and reception!

Last edited:
Uplifting news: as of this morning 53% of the adult population has at least one shot, and 35% of adult population is fully vaccinated. The seven day trend of new cases is the lowest since early October. Please lets stay away from personal opinion, those who just have to make personal opinion statements have gotten 2 forums shut down.

Uplifting news: as of this morning 53% of the adult population has at least one shot, and 35% of adult population is fully vaccinated. The seven day trend of new cases is the lowest since early October. Please lets stay away from personal opinion, those who just have to make personal opinion statements have gotten 2 forums shut down.

That is spectacular news - and to add onto it - while we are slowing a little in vaccination/day in the US, we are still vaccinating 2.75M people/day, so every day this number gets higher and higher. Even if we continue a slow trend line drop, we will be on target for vaccinated herd immunity by early July, if not sooner (if we can get the trend line back up - here's to the J&J helping with that). Every day we get one more person in for shots is another arm down:)...

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-19-vaccination-doses?tab=chart&country=~USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter