• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Upgrading UT tickets to AP

jimandami

DIS Veteran
Hi all,

I have purchased UT Disney tickets and price bridged to an AP many times, but have never attempted to do so at Universal. We purchased 3 day, 3 park promo tickets with 2 free days from UT. I would now like to upgrade those to an AP but have a few questions if anyone can help please.

1) Our tickets start July 10, but we would now like to visit on the 8th and possibly 9th. Can I go to guest services and upgrade these tickets before they are technically valid? If I can, would I then lose out on price bridging because I didn't use them first? I guess I could change the dates if I needed to.

2) At Disney, if you had say, a water park fun and more ticket with PH, you had to upgrade to the AP that included water parks. If I have a 3 park Universal ticket, must I upgrade to the 3 park AP?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Hi all,

I have purchased UT Disney tickets and price bridged to an AP many times, but have never attempted to do so at Universal. We purchased 3 day, 3 park promo tickets with 2 free days from UT. I would now like to upgrade those to an AP but have a few questions if anyone can help please.

1) Our tickets start July 10, but we would now like to visit on the 8th and possibly 9th. Can I go to guest services and upgrade these tickets before they are technically valid? If I can, would I then lose out on price bridging because I didn't use them first? I guess I could change the dates if I needed to.

2) At Disney, if you had say, a water park fun and more ticket with PH, you had to upgrade to the AP that included water parks. If I have a 3 park Universal ticket, must I upgrade to the 3 park AP?

Thank you for any help you can give.
1) Not exactly sure but I don't see why you couldn't upgrade them early-maybe call and doublecheck
2) If you have a 3 park ticket you have to upgrade to a 3 park AP
You can do this at guest services in the parks or at ticket counter at any of the onsite hotels

1) They won't price bridge as 5 day tickets. You get credit for the Universal promo price on them (2 day tickets). I don't see why you can't upgrade early but I agree w/ @lisam70 to call & confirm. And probably just to do the upgrade then if possible.

2) Once you go to VB you must upgrade to 3 park. Not sure if you buy 3 park but don't actually go to VB.

1) They won't price bridge as 5 day tickets. You get credit for the Universal promo price on them (2 day tickets). I don't see why you can't upgrade early but I agree w/ @lisam70 to call & confirm. And probably just to do the upgrade then if possible.

2) Once you go to VB you must upgrade to 3 park. Not sure if you buy 3 park but don't actually go to VB.
2) I emailed UO and they responded it would be OK as long as u haven't gone to VB yet. I will be doing this with airmiles ticket vouchers in August.

So, I called universal and they said you cannot upgrade Undercover Tourist tickets at all. Now, I feel this is probably incorrect and that if I used the ticket first, we could do this. Here is the issue: our tickets are not valid until July 10 and we would like to go the 8th, so I cannot test this theory, unless I request a date change if that is even possible, but if I then cannot upgrade, I risk our tickets not being valid on the 17th, which would have been a full park day (we are going for a dance competition so are busy with that most days). Any ideas?

Are you going to be in Orlando anyways on the 8th (ie, is it flexible if you ask in person and you can't do it?)?

I know for sure you can upgrade UT Buy 2 Get 3 tickets, I did so, although it was a few years ago. You just only get "promo" value for them. Yours is the first post I've seen of Universal giving someone a hard time about it. Hopefully it's an underinformed TM, not just a really new policy :scared1:

Are you going to be in Orlando anyways on the 8th (ie, is it flexible if you ask in person and you can't do it?)?

I know for sure you can upgrade UT Buy 2 Get 3 tickets, I did so, although it was a few years ago. You just only get "promo" value for them. Yours is the first post I've seen of Universal giving someone a hard time about it. Hopefully it's an underinformed TM, not just a really new policy :scared1:

I suspect you are right and it would have been just fine, but I decided to just take the 95% refund from UT and just buy the passes from UO. I can now re-book our rooms for next weekend with the AP discount and it saves more than the difference in the UT tickets and passes, and saves me the hassle of trying to upgrade when we get there.

I probably would have done the same, so I wasn't worrying about it the whole time leading up to it...

Have fun with your extra days!

I either got the same TM, or Universal has enacted a new policy. I had already purchased my tickets from TicketsAtWork when the Annual Pass Promo came out. Called today to try to upgrade in advance. TM advised that you can upgrade 3rd party tickets on site, but not in advance.

Something about Universal not having your payment information to charge the difference and not being able to take payment over the phone. Sounds like a bogus line to me because you can purchase APs over the phone. I really think it has to do with how they provide tickets to the resellers, and they don't want to upgrade something that hasn't been activated because they don't get paid from the reseller until the ticket is scanned in.

I think it's mostly due to identification: I have ticket voucher from airmiles with a QR code and my name. It clearly states I have to show up in person with ID. Otherwise someone who somehow has my qr code ( if I printed it and lost it) could redeem the ticket and upgrade it. Not sure about that of course.
But not getting paid from reseller until activation seems more plausible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter