Unpopular Opinions

Actually I think the "forget that actual people live there" thing can be applied to any city that is a major tourist destination. I know I've had tourists ask me "Wait. So you really live here?" on the streets or in the subway in NYC. Yes, people do live and work in these places. We are not just kept in holding areas and paraded out for tourists to enjoy seeing.

I get the same thing when I say we live in Gatlinburg and our condo is in a location that doesn't allow overnight rentals.

That's because parmesan is wrong.....parmesan is a type of cheese, parmigana is a dish with meat, chicken, veal (pick one) and sauce (or gravy if you're REAL Italian) and cheese

Interesting! Thanks for that explanation. I'm weird in that I'm basically the only person in the world who does not particularly care for Italian cuisine (or Americanized Italian is probably more accurate to say), but even within that, chicken parmigana is one of my least favorites. I do like veal scallopini!

I hated Satellite Falls. The water was frigid (the pool was much warmer), it was more crowded every time we tried to go up there compared to the adult pool, and we didn't like the wind whipping around constantly unless you were behind the clear barriers (granted, we only tried to visit on sea days, so maybe we would've felt differently on a port day). Pass for sure.

Mine is an unpopular opinion on our household: I hated the Sail-Away party. Everyone's jockeying for position. It's super-crowded. I'd much rather be enjoying a private sail-away on our verandah. But my DH *loves* it, and I hate to deny him enjoying it -- he denies me nothing I enjoy, after all. But next cruise we've agreed to leave it early and head back to our cabin, so we'll split the difference.

I was very underwhelmed by Palo brunch, but I was feeling especially dizzy/sea legs that day, so I'm not totally positive it's a fair assessment.

I'm an old-school bingo fan -- went all the time at our church, and still go now and then with family/friends. I have my own dauber bag, okay? :) And I found the bingo onboard to be a complete waste of time.

1. i'm not a big fan of the food, at all, anywhere on the ship. I live close to NYC and after having tried a good number of places and cuisines, the food on DCL just doesn't hit the spot...especially the pizza..gosh.
2. itineraries are getting boring.
3. drip coffee please drip coffee
4. mickey pretzels at a specific date/time/location without being printed or told to everyone. if you're in the know, you get one, if not, sorry...grrrrrrrr
5. aquaduck and dunk were super cool at first, then got boring pretty quick
6. call me silly, but i want to be able to take a picture of the stern of the dream. Everywhere i've been with her, she's always stern side out...so i can get a nice picture of the aft, but the stern is a mystery.

* Add me to the "verandah not necessary" category - even in Alaska. Yes, I splurged for one when I was on HAL last year, but I found myself avoiding or leaving group activities early to use the bloody thing that I'd paid for when in reality I had much better views from other places on the ship. This year on RCCL I'm going interior. On DCL give me my favorite 8B on the Dream/Fantasy any day and I am happy as a clam.

* I don't see what is so difficult about typing out "chicken parmesan" and find "parm" annoying.

* I love the Pirate Night menu but find the regular menu for Enchanted Garden vile and will do whatever I can to avoid it.

* I have cruised concierge and found that I have had NO trouble going back to regular cabins.

Not sure why you find Chicken Parm so annoying. It is just an abbreviation. The same as you qouted above with HAL, DCL and RCCL. It is basically getting to the point and we all know what it is. And for what is it worth, We call it Chicken Parmigiana... I personally don't care what others call it but I know what they are talking about.

Not sure why you find Chicken Parm so annoying. It is just an abbreviation. The same as you qouted above with HAL, DCL and RCCL. It is basically getting to the point and we all know what it is. And for what is it worth, We call it Chicken Parmigiana... I personally don't care what others call it but I know what they are talking about.

I'm sorry I apparently offended so many people. The last time I looked, the thread was called "Unpopular Opinions". And the last time I checked, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Clearly I've been wrong on all counts - including that I'm allowed to have opinions.

I'm sorry I apparently offended so many people. The last time I looked, the thread was called "Unpopular Opinions". And the last time I checked, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Clearly I've been wrong on all counts - including that I'm allowed to have opinions.

You have not offended me personally. (Though i can't speak for others.) I am just stating my opinion on what you wrote. I just found it not to make sense that you would allow "Other" abbreviations and yet have an opinion that Chicken Parm offended you. It just made no sense... But to each it's own I suppose.

I have one I just thought of; I don't mind the coffee on board. Of course, I usually add a shot of Irish whiskey in with a bit of milk. :shamrock:

MUN

Like any insurance, travel insurance is a waste of money unless you end up needing it. Depends on how big a financial hit you think you might be able to take should something happen beyond your control.

My Opinions not always shared by the overall populace.

I don't care for,
  • being announced when I come on board. I go through it with a smile, because the people doing it were paid to do this and they do not not deserve my disdain for it. I just grin and bear it, and get away quick.
  • formal night. If I have room in the suitcases, I pack for it. Otherwise, I don't care and skip it.
  • the family pool areas.
  • people who walk around with the attitude of "I've gotta get outta this what i'm paying for it"
  • people who actually say that out loud. If you felt you couldn't afford the trip, STAY HOME
  • people who "go on vacation" from parenting (already mentioned, but I think it needs to be said over and over and over)
  • Parrot's Cay or whatever it's called on whichever ship you're on. Just not my favorite restaurant, and I always skip it, especially when they are serving a buffet.
  • seeing any of the shows more than once. We've cruised enough that if I've already seen the show, like the Golden Mickey's, I don't enjoy seeing it again. Now, on the other hand, I do find it fun to see the pre-show where they are interviewing the kids on the carpet. Then I leave.
  • people who put a load in the washer, then leave for 2+ hours.
  • people who think you can fill a dryer 2/3 of the way full and expect it to dry in one cycle. (seriously? have you never washed laundry before?)
Things I like,
  • My own veranda. With an autistic son who can't handle big crowds all the time, having a place to call our own and have "down time" in is priceless.
  • Concierge 1-bedroom or more suite.
  • People who are enjoying themselves and their room and having a great time with everyone else.
  • In-room dining in the suite. Not nightly, but there are just those days when i don't want to deal with people and I want to eat dinner in my jammies.
  • Palo Dinner - we did this on our Alaska cruise and the dinner (didn't order anything chicken!!) We had the best server, the most amazing views of the glacier (Tracy Arm day), and ended up tipping him what we felt the meal would have been worth at home. We'll likely go again on our cruise out of Dover next year taking the kiddo because he'll be 18.
  • Happy, smiling kids.

I don't care for...being announced when I come on board. I go through it with a smile, because the people doing it were paid to do this and they do not not deserve my disdain for it. I just grin and bear it, and get away quick.

IMG_0262.jpg

Just tell the greeter with the microphone you would rather not be announced politely and they will respect your wishes! They will most likely still clap as you board.

Last edited:
Just tell the greater with the microphone you would rather not be announced politely and they will respect your wishes! They will most likely still clap as you board.

Really? I haven't tried. Then again, I don't want to take away from their day either. Although, they probably don't care one way or another. I just recall what it was like when I worked retail and I had to greet everyone with a smile. Every once in a while you would get a sour puss and I felt like "hey don't take your issues out on me, I'm just trying to be polite and do as I'm paid" So I never want to be that person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter