Universal & Volcano during Hurricane Irma, tips for making the best of it?

Looking for advice as well. Supposed to fly in on Wed (13th) and stay through Sun (17th). Thinking I can wait until Monday once Irma is past and see what the damage is. Just started looking at other dates in Oct or Nov but can't find accommodations :-(

This is an unprecedented storm, and it shouldn't be compared to any others because we just don't know for sure what's going to happen.

You might need/want to cancel. Depending on where you're flying from, what airline, and what other date options you have, you might want to consider it.

Irma is projected to be a Category 2 by the time it hits the Orlando area. Strong and dangerous yes, but not unprecedented. There's no need to cause people to panic and potentially lose money by canceling plans when it's more and more likely the hurricane waiver policy is about to kick in----or to scare people off from coming a week or more after the storm.

Hopefully, most will gather the facts from the experts before making their decisions

Personally, i would not head down today. If plans in place for Tuesday forward next week, would re-evaluate after the storm has passed. Tourism $ are king, they will get things back to normal operations ASAP.

Latest update

According to the hurricane center’s forecast cone, Irma still is predicted eventually to take a northern turn and move up the center of Florida. Central Florida could begin feeling tropical-storm-force winds by Saturday night, with Irma expected to hit the area as a Category 2 storm — packing maximum winds of up to 110 mph — late Sunday night or early Monday morning.

Meteorologists say eastern Florida into coastal Georgia could see 8 to 12 inches of rain with some areas seeing up to 16 inches.

All of Central Florida will see hurricane conditions of 74 mph winds with higher gusts in the mid 90s, said Jayme King, a meteorologist at Orlando Sentinel news partner Fox 35.

The Orlando region could see anywhere from 12 to 15 inches of rain throughout the storm, he said, adding Brevard and Volusia counties could see worse conditions along the coast.

“Bottom line, this is going to be an impactful event for the entire state,” King said. “It’s been more than a decade since we’ve had a major storm really impact our area. … Many of our newer residents have never been through a hurricane — let alone one of this magnitude.”

Last edited:
At this point, I'd change your trip. I'd keep trips arriving Tuesday or later for now, but change any before. I live in the Orlando area and don't understand why anyone would willingly come into this.

Looking for advice as well. Supposed to fly in on Wed (13th) and stay through Sun (17th). Thinking I can wait until Monday once Irma is past and see what the damage is. Just started looking at other dates in Oct or Nov but can't find accommodations :-(
You have a good plan. I would recommend keeping your plans and prepare to fly on Wed. The chance of having to change your plans is small. You will know better what the damage is like in plenty of time too.

Universal's update:
Universal Orlando Resort™ has made the following operational decisions due to Hurricane Irma:

Our destination will close at 7pm on Saturday, Sept. 9. We will be fully closed on Sunday and Monday. We anticipate normal operating hours on Tuesday, Sept. 12.

Our on-site hotels are currently at full capacity and will remain operational as they focus on taking care of our on-site guests.

We will hold our Rock the Universe™ event at Universal Studios Florida™ tonight, Friday Sept. 8 and will welcome Saturday ticket-holders tonight as well. The event will be cancelled on Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Anyone know how flexible they are with reservations? We live in Ga and are supposed to arrive on Thur the 14th. Stressed over whether to cancel or leave them. I think
I have till tommorrow night at 5pm to cancel without penalties. 75N. Is a parking lot here :( It's so Sad seeing all the Floridians fleeing not knowing what will be left when they get home.

My flight is scheduled to land at MCO at about 4:30PM Saturday, right before it closes... We looked at other flights but the only option would be to get airborne at 8:30AM and land at 2:30PM Monday. The Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and Friday flights are booked. I'm not sure MCO will be open Monday at 8:30am and I'm sure the plane wouldn't taken off unless the airport is open so risk of that flight being cancelled I think is pretty high.

So that leaves us little choice. Part of my family flies in Tuesday, Wednesday and my wife and son on Thursday, which is outside the free cancelation window for irma and were just coming for a few days. So it's looking like I can either cancel and lose the money on her trip, or if I want to be in Florida when she is there I'd have to fly out before the storm.

Yes, sounds like Universal is closed Sunday and most of not all Monday. I have no idea what I'll do for 2 days when everything is closed, but that appears to be the only option not to lose more money and miss out on the trip.

Yes, sounds like Universal is closed Sunday and most of not all Monday. I have no idea what I'll do for 2 days when everything is closed, but that appears to be the only option not to lose more money and miss out on the trip.

Not "sounds like." The parks ARE closed Sunday and Monday. If you're going to be there, you'll be concerned with staying inside and safe from the storm, not with being bored.

Not the OP, but I guess a related question: I'm supposed to arrive on the 14th for a three day stay at HRH. Can I be reasonably confident that my rental car at MCO and hotel room will actually be available? I don't know how logistics are handled on that level, for example if there has been a big run on rental cars, people are still trying to get home (wherever home is), etc.

Not the OP, but I guess a related question: I'm supposed to arrive on the 14th for a three day stay at HRH. Can I be reasonably confident that my rental car at MCO and hotel room will actually be available? I don't know how logistics are handled on that level, for example if there has been a big run on rental cars, people are still trying to get home (wherever home is), etc.

Not sure who you rented through @ MCO but by the 14th would think you should be fine there & with hotel reservation. Most who sheltered would likely be eager to return home to at least assess their damages, then regroup.

I called and asked if I could have a little leeway with my reservations, we have them for Thur 14th and they were not very understanding at all. She said it will be out of Orlando like Monday and I said I know then she's heading to Me, in Ga. I was disappointed how they are handling it, just because all is well in Orlando, doesn't mean everyone else is ok and can get there. It's not like I just decided I don't want to go, my kids are looking forward to it. I have till tommorrow to cancel. My biggest concern is traffic with people heading home to Florida, I'm not sure when people will be going back. 75 N. here in Ga has been beyond horrible. I just don't know what to do

I called and asked if I could have a little leeway with my reservations, we have them for Thur 14th and they were not very understanding at all. She said it will be out of Orlando like Monday and I said I know then she's heading to Me, in Ga. I was disappointed how they are handling it, just because all is well in Orlando, doesn't mean everyone else is ok and can get there. It's not like I just decided I don't want to go, my kids are looking forward to it. I have till tommorrow to cancel. My biggest concern is traffic with people heading home to Florida, I'm not sure when people will be going back. 75 N. here in Ga has been beyond horrible. I just don't know what to do
Did you read the policies on the Universal site? https://www.universalorlando.com/we...cies-restrictions/index.html#hurricane-policy
They might help.

Did you get trip insurance?

Always get that when traveling to Florida during hurricane season. Every year at this time there is one out there and Florida almost always is involved.
We go to Fla. every fall for the kids fall break since 2003 and have been lucky to never have a issue.

We are planned to be flying down 9/20 - 9/25. I feel for those down there now or who had planned trips.

I was able to change my reservations to next week minus one day I will have to stay somewhere else on thurs since Royal Pacific didn't have anything for thur, but something is better than nothing. I just worried that Thursday the thousands of Floridian that have flooded our Hwys in Ga will be heading back. A friend said it took them 17 to get from Orlando to here ( we are 45 mins. above Macon). It usually takes us 6 hrs or less to get to Orlando from here. Stay safe out there!!

OP, I hope your flight today goes well. Please let us know what happens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter