Universal now requiring documentation be sent to a third party for accessibility

Exactly. And those of us who don’t “look disabled” (in the eye of those employees) could easily be doubted or even denied with the old process. Every visit started out with stress for me because of this. I have documentation, let me show that once versus being questioned every single time.

With the new process I only have to show up and pickup my specific accommodation that I know I’m guaranteed to have every visit. This makes my arrival to the park more equal to a non-disabled guest because I can actually be excited to be arriving at the park versus stressed about the process at guest relations. And if you ask me, that change alone makes the initial extra steps worth it.
Similarly to you I really like having the case number. I don't have to go through the approval process again, worry about having to explain myself, and hoping the person will believe me. I don't like having my documentation living on a 3rd party website on the internet....for me that is the biggest downside. Also, I wish they would put the AAP into the app similar to Disney - when I picked mine up on UO in early January, I had to wait 30 minutes in line in a very loud area at the front of the park. I would have loved to have been able to just walk on in and start enjoying what I was there for, or at least been able to wait somewhere that wasn't loud. I'll have to do that wait at the beginning of every trip (although unlike the old process will only have to show the case number and not explain the reasons, so that's a plus!)

Similarly to you I really like having the case number. I don't have to go through the approval process again, worry about having to explain myself, and hoping the person will believe me. I don't like having my documentation living on a 3rd party website on the internet....for me that is the biggest downside. Also, I wish they would put the AAP into the app similar to Disney - when I picked mine up on UO in early January, I had to wait 30 minutes in line in a very loud area at the front of the park. I would have loved to have been able to just walk on in and start enjoying what I was there for, or at least been able to wait somewhere that wasn't loud. I'll have to do that wait at the beginning of every trip (although unlike the old process will only have to show the case number and not explain the reasons, so that's a plus!)

There’s always room for improvement. My home park is Hollywood and out here they’re experimenting with running separate lines for guest relations on busier days. They screen at the entry to the line for guest relations to see if you have a case number. If you do, they send you on in to guest relations. Those that don’t are sent to a separate location entirely (we walked by and that line was MASSIVE). This is what they were doing towards the end of December when we went. I hope to see this process return when the parks get busy again.

I do agree a digital system or at least a physical one that can be reused by passholders without a re-visit to guest relations would be great. It could easily be hooked to the pass and valid for the year before they have to confirm the guest’s IBCCES card is still valid. We don’t even get the 14 days out here (I believe Orlando you can activate it for length of stay up to 14 days?) just one day at a time.

Exactly. And those of us who don’t “look disabled” (in the eye of those employees) could easily be doubted or even denied with the old process. Every visit started out with stress for me because of this. I have documentation, let me show that once versus being questioned every single time.
Well put
I don't like having my documentation living on a 3rd party website on the internet....for me that is the biggest downside.
I’ve gotten at least three different notices in the mail that my info has been compromised on various sites (mortgage company, work & a CC). Nothing new, it’s happened nearly a handful of times already in 2023. One group filed a class action lawsuit as to negligence against one of the companies.

World we live in, at least they provide credit monitoring. The option is there to shut down new accounts, I’ve it in place. Need to buy a new phone, know from past experience I need to reinstate it for that modification to My contract with same provider I’ve had for decades. Least the part of “the solution” is working.

my point to this is, don’t think there is an opt out to store the info, other than not participating in the program. Despite HIPPA, i’m of the school of thought that any info is out there for those who hackers/cyber attackers with bad intentions and a certain skill set. admittedly, it’s not a pleasant thought. some things should be private and disclosed only to those we authorize. Unfortunately, it is the world in which we live.
when I picked mine up on UO in early January, I had to wait 30 minutes in line in a very loud area at the front of the park. I would have loved to have been able to just walk on in and start enjoying what I was there for, or at least been able to wait somewhere that wasn't loud. I'll have to do that wait at the beginning of every trip (although unlike the old process will only have to show the case number and not explain the reasons, so that's a plus!)
It would be nice to have a dedicated area, away from the fray.
We don’t even get the 14 days out here (I believe Orlando you can activate it for length of stay up to 14 days?) just one day at a time.
That was offered with an AP During early fall & a subsequent one.

if staying onsite believe it still runs with whatever length of stay tix you have. Things change, I’d be sure to check this before a visit.

we did discover a bit of a cog if using single day tix. In Dec, just used old on hand one day PH last trip vs renewing our APs. (Will pick APs back up before our next trip to USO. Plan is to visit USH early this fall for haunt season ’out west’, had so much fun there in the past.)

surprise, we did have to stop @ GS each of those days, since the person with the accommodation was using one day PH tix vs multi day or AP

... I don't like having my documentation living on a 3rd party website on the internet...
Well, living on their servers and accessible via the web, but basically- Preach. I’m starting to think maybe Disney hasn’t adopted an approach like this because it’s too great a risk. Imagine the lawsuits we will file against this outfit if our private health data is leaked. They’ll get wrecked. And we’d sue whoever made us give them our health info in order to access accommodations.

With the new process I only have to show up and pickup my specific accommodation that I know I’m guaranteed to have every visit. This makes my arrival to the park more equal to a non-disabled guest because I can actually be excited to be arriving at the park versus stressed about the process at guest relations. And if you ask me, that change alone makes the initial extra steps worth it.
Actually Six Flags denies people with the card when they "don't look disabled enough to need it" some employees have even town up their physical card when they have a physical card. This doesn't prevent the park from denying any services, all it does is provide another hoop to jump through that others don't have to.

Requiring guests who do not want to give their info to IBCCES to access guest services everyday is not equitable access.
Why not? It is the system that is in place already at many theme parks, it is the system that Universal Studios (Hollywood at least) had before this new system that you had to go in every day, they wouldn't issue a multiple day pass.

Actually Six Flags denies people with the card when they "don't look disabled enough to need it" some employees have even town up their physical card when they have a physical card. This doesn't prevent the park from denying any services, all it does is provide another hoop to jump through that others don't have to.

This is heresay from the lawsuit that was filed in California. Also not sure how they "tore up his card" when you can just show it in the App. Very suspect. Knowing the type of guests at Six Flags I feel more like this guy was being a real tool to employees (I go to my home park in Gurnee all the time and use their pass, never had a problem).

One person has alleged that he was told he didn't look disabled enough and that an employee tore up his card.

One person.

Not multiple people, as you state.

One person has alleged that he was told he didn't look disabled enough and that an employee tore up his card.

One person.

One person whose name has been made public. I'm sure the lawyers have found others who are anonymous. They aren't going to sue a large corporation on the experience of an individual.

One person.

Actually there have been multiple people, they are trying to move this to a class action lawsuit, I know because DH was approached by the law firm involved about this, but as he told them he has no standing since he hasn't gone to Magic Mountain or any other Six Flags parks, but they saw he goes to theme parks a lot on his Facebook profile and figured they would ask.

And as I said IF they had a physical card they tore it up, allegedly is true there, but I believe it given how bad their employees are. Hopefully with the Cedar Fair merger that changes.

But the point here is there are indeed multiple people that claim this has happened to them.

But back on topic, does Universal require the use of this system if you simply need to use a mobility aid to access the queues like Six Flags does?

I never claimed having an IBCCES card meant automatic approval for theme park accommodations. Universal screens after you’ve been approved by IBCCES and then gives you final approval for their parks which IS a guarantee of accomodation from then on out once you have that case reference number. This removes the repetitive process of being screened by a different person each time you visit.

As someone who does go to Six Flags Magic Mountain, I can at least share my first hand experience in that I’ve never had any issues and I don’t “look disabled” to a lot of people. I actually have what is considered a “higher level” accomodation there and they don’t hesitate to provide that despite my appearance and I’ve never been questioned by employees at rides, all I had to do was show them the accomodation and I was assisted. From what I understand, they have set accommodations based off of your answers to questions on the card / the info provided to them on the IBCCES Card. They will not question you more in person or judge based off how you appear. There’s different accommodations but I haven’t heard of anyone out right being offered nothing when they have an IBCCES Card (Six Flags DOES offer returns for those with mobility issues as well because their lines are not accessible). They even still make one time exceptions for those who haven’t signed up for IBCCES yet despite having this process in place for quite a while.

I’m deleting my initial section on the lawsuit as I looked into new articles on it after this discussion and there are so many mixed statements between all of them. I prefer to present facts or at least personal experiences and at this time there’s really no facts to present on the lawsuit as it’s no longer even clear whether he was initially accommodated and then had it revoked or if he was denied from the beginning. I’ve seen articles going both ways. At the end of the day, I have no concerns for IBCCES with this lawsuit. It is aimed at Six Flags and how they possibly wronged him. Unless the court decides there’s something illegal about the IBCCES process, nothing will change about that. If he was in fact mistreated at the park, I hope he gets justice for that in court.

As for your question back on topic of Universal, all the queues are wheelchair accessible so you will not require the use of this system simply to use a mobility aid in line. Just keep in mind if using an ECV they’ll require a transfer to a regular wheelchair, from what I understand they keep some on hand at every ride and you can ask for one to use while in line.

Last edited:
Actually there have been multiple people, they are trying to move this to a class action lawsuit, I know because DH was approached by the law firm involved about this, but as he told them he has no standing since he hasn't gone to Magic Mountain or any other Six Flags parks, but they saw he goes to theme parks a lot on his Facebook profile and figured they would ask.

And as I said IF they had a physical card they tore it up, allegedly is true there, but I believe it given how bad their employees are. Hopefully with the Cedar Fair merger that changes.

But the point here is there are indeed multiple people that claim this has happened to them.

But back on topic, does Universal require the use of this system if you simply need to use a mobility aid to access the queues like Six Flags does?
The one guy is asking that it be made class-action.

But you do you.

I believe there were a few reports earlier in this thread — maybe back in July or August.
Yeah that was my recollection as well. At some point a few months after this all started something seemed to change as all reports after were UOR approve anyone with an IBCESS card.

Do we have anyone approved by IBCCES who wasn’t approved by Universal after their first few months of this system?
I believe the main people not being approved at Universal despite having an IBCCES card are those with strictly mobility related disabilities (they will recommend a wheelchair) since their lines are accessible. As well as bathroom related issues (I have heard of some people getting approved for these due to their personal circumstances but it’s not an automatic approval like it was before).

Essentially, if they feel they’re already able to accommodate you in someway via the regular line then they won’t provide a line accommodation. For mobility that’s the ability to have a mobility aid in line and for bathroom issues they’re reportedly telling people they’re free to exit the line and return to their party if they need to access the restroom during their wait.

Since certain parks (like Six Flags) do offer accommodations for these disabilities, IBCCES will approve them allowing them to receive accommodations at those participating parks.

I believe the main people not being approved at Universal despite having an IBCCES card are those with strictly mobility related disabilities (they will recommend a wheelchair) since their lines are accessible. As well as bathroom related issues (I have heard of some people getting approved for these due to their personal circumstances but it’s not an automatic approval like it was before).

Essentially, if they feel they’re already able to accommodate you in someway via the regular line then they won’t provide a line accommodation. For mobility that’s the ability to have a mobility aid in line and for bathroom issues they’re reportedly telling people they’re free to exit the line and return to their party if they need to access the restroom during their wait.

Since certain parks (like Six Flags) do offer accommodations for these disabilities, IBCCES will approve them allowing them to receive accommodations at those participating parks.
I was wondering if we had actual reports from people looking for UOR accommodations since they appeared to flip to auto-approval a few months after implementing the new system.

I was wondering if we had actual reports from people looking for UOR accommodations since they appeared to flip to auto-approval a few months after implementing the new system.
Interesting! I did hear on Facebook that Universal started sending instant approval emails to some people vs requiring phone calls to discuss further. I’m wondering if it’s certain answers on the cards causing that (for example, needs being clearly sensory related therefore they assume the guest will at minimum require an AAP for that).

I’d also love to hear how the process has been going for people more recently vs at the beginning. Hopefully more will share but I suppose it’s also possible that we haven’t heard much on here lately because the process has been going more smoothly for a lot of people.

Interesting! I did hear on Facebook that Universal started sending instant approval emails to some people vs requiring phone calls to discuss further. I’m wondering if it’s certain answers on the cards causing that (for example, needs being clearly sensory related therefore they assume the guest will at minimum require an AAP for that).

I’d also love to hear how the process has been going for people more recently vs at the beginning. Hopefully more will share but I suppose it’s also possible that we haven’t heard much on here lately because the process has been going more smoothly for a lot of people.
I'm wondering what's going on now with the people who need an accommodation greater than the AAP. My dad got into the new program early, when they were doing phone calls for all, and he was able to have the higher-level accommodation that was already in their old system transferred to the new system. An auto approval for the AAP would have done him no good. So I hope there's still a way for people who need something more to speak to the disability team and get that approval.

I'm wondering what's going on now with the people who need an accommodation greater than the AAP. My dad got into the new program early, when they were doing phone calls for all, and he was able to have the higher-level accommodation that was already in their old system transferred to the new system. An auto approval for the AAP would have done him no good. So I hope there's still a way for people who need something more to speak to the disability team and get that approval.
I got mine approved through email a couple of months ago without a phone call. I assumed (correctly) it was for the standard AAP. The approval email was sent by a specific team member (a form approval letter, but sent by an individual person, not general guest services), so I could have easily replied back to that specific person if I had any concerns or thought the standard aap would not have worked for me.

Also, I don't think I was "auto-approved" even though I didn't have the phone conversation. My process went like this:
- Got card approved through 3rd party (sorry can never remember the acronym/letters!)
- Week later got a standardized email from both universal guest services asking for availability and travel plans so they could schedule a phone call
- I replied to both, but also gave a couple of details (albeit still vague) about a concern I had in USH last summer, and indicated unexpected phone calls at unknown times are difficult for me so requested a heads up before the phone call
- Several weeks of waiting, no phone call and not hearing anything back
- Got personalized email with case number/approval. The email was sent as a reply from the USH email where I had had more details about my situation. So it seemed more like an accommodation to do it through email rather than an automatic approval.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter