"Universal is just a Cookie, but Disney is Fruit & Cake"

Disney Blues

Mouseketeer
Universal has been pulling out all the stops as of late, with New rides like Transformers, Simpsons & Harry Potter to name a few. They also have more in the works, another HP land, Lord of the rings land, updated Jurrasic park land, Dreamworks land also possibly a third park. It seems like they work alot faster from concept to reality, its almost like there on fast forward compaired to Disney's immaginers.
But you get what u pay for...cheaper quicker labor isn't always the way to go. As a Disney lover I want rides to last through decades, universal tears down classic rides, not because there dropping attendance but because the bolts are just about rusted off. I prefer a smoother more attention to detail attraction built by engineering genius'. I don't mind snow white taking 3 years to build when they put up the Simpsons land overnight, lol. I know that the minecoaster will be apart of Disney for years to come and Simpsons land will more than likely be replaced in 10 years.
Disney has some amazing stuff coming out but we wont see anything for at least 3 years. Starwars land is genius, Carsland is ok, but Cars 2 kinda suked. Avatar land I'm gonna really like, its gonna be a cool place to chill late night, it makes perfect sence to make a nighttime land in a park that is known as being day time only. Love DTD I don't think they have to go that insane with the plans but I'm not complaining.
Anyway, Disney is the Fig Nuton in my book...Universal is just the same old Cookie....

I think competition is always good for the consumer. There is plenty Disney should gut or re-do, I'd hardly call Stitch's Great Escape or outdated Buzz Lightyear attractions for the ages.

I think the opposite argument could be made...Disney builds stuff and leaves it there for eons but Universal and Island of Adventure are constantly being updated and new stuff added.

I have seen the new Fantasyland and unless you have little kids it's not impressive at all.

Disney is going to take 3 years building one roller coaster and US will have built transformer and expanded Harry Potter in less than 2 years time. They will have the new train and the new Gringott's ride too by NEXT FALL. I prefer speedy progress and if I ride those rides every year I couldn't care less if they tear them down in 10 years and replace them with newer more modern rides. I think that is the best way to keep your customers happy and coming back.

Disney is same ole same ole. Universal is always new and exciting.

I go to both every trip. We go to Disney parks and Universal trips. We have APs to US/IOA. I wouldn't take a trip to Florida without doing the 2 US parks but I would skip Disney if needed.

A lot of formeer Imagineers were/are working at Universal. Think they know what they're doing in the big attraction category. Both places are great.

I don't think Universal is ripping down rusted out attractions as much as they are updating the parks. Universal can replace Back To The Future with The Simpsons, and it is a nice refresh, and update the attraction. Disney often has to deal with a huge uproar to replace/update attractions that have been around so long. I love 'em both, and the competition will just make each of them better.

I love WDW, but after so many years, I am really tired of some of their feature attractions that never change. Who doesn't know exactly what will happen in the Indiana Jones show? At least change the scenario a bit!

I don't believe that Universal's changes are based on quality. The changes are made to keep their parks fresh. Disney is great, but they could learn a bit from Universal.

. . . I don't believe that Universal's changes are based on quality. The changes are made to keep their parks fresh. Disney is great, but they could learn a bit from Universal.

1) Agreed.
2) For pleasure, we go to Universal and SeaWorld more often the WDW.
3) There seems to be a constant influx of new rides/attractions/activities.

Universal likes to change things, and thats great..I am spending more of my vacation $$ and time there lately..Disney pretty much has stayed the same, and while I love the classics and the comfort of WDW,I also enjoy the new exciting stuff Unviersal is churning out..

I think of them as BOTH cakes. Each is delicious in their own way.

Disney is the chocolate cake and Universal is the carrot cake.

I love both equally and don't feel like I wanted chocolate cake more when eating the carrot cake, nor do I feel like I wanted carrot cake more when eating chocolate and don't compare the two cakes.

Even better is when I get BOTH cakes at the same time, but if I only get carrot cake not chocolate it's still okay with me.

My point is, I don't feel the need to choose one cake over another, nor side with one cake. Both are just as good as the other.

Love Disney and Universal. I actually think its great how Universal is constantly improving things and doesn't hang on to old out dated rides because of nostalgia.

I love all the area themeparks for different reasons, and I think they all have their strong and weak points, even Disney.

I read your title at first as "Disney is fruitcake"! :scared1: :rotfl:

We're definitely Disney people, but maybe we'll hit Universal some when the kids get older. And I definitely agree that competition in the industry is good for all of us!! :thumbsup2

Posts like that of the OP kind of perplex me; it seems to give off a vibe that one must choose and one is clearly better than another. I don't think that's the case nor do I feel the need to "defend" Disney and their actions. I like both resorts but do acknowledge that, right now, UOR is providing more new, headliner attractions than WDW is and that's being reflected in the general public eye. You can argue that UOR is doing overlays, lacks theming, etc..., but to most (beyond the Disney fans), UOR is doing a lot more than Disney in terms of growth. Yes, NFL (not the football league) is very nice, but it's clearly not bringing in the crowds they wanted it to, which is why we're hearing all of these rumors of SWL and/or Pixar Place/Cars Land. That said, Disney will not be holding an official Disney Parks presentation at the D23 Expo this year; they have chosen to do Imagineer panel discussions. They still could incorporate a major announcement, but it's an odd move by Disney.

MickeyMinnieMom said:
I read your title at first as "Disney is fruitcake"! :scared1: :rotfl:

We're definitely Disney people, but maybe we'll hit Universal some when the kids get older. And I definitely agree that competition in the industry is good for all of us!! :thumbsup2

Lol

I love disney seriously. I love the the attention to detail. There hard working imagineers. I rather take my kids to Disney any day. But and it is a big one! I have yet to see anything anywhere better the the WWOHP! The whole castle and area surround is the best theming ever. So much attention to detail, it truly feel like it belongs in Disney. The forbidden journey is better then any ride they have at Disney. They have Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey and now transformers and I have not seen any type of rides at Disney to compare those to. Disney still has our hearts because its our childhood. They make the best animated movies that we fall in love with from a very young age. Then they tie them in with rides and characters at the theme parks. I love both parks for different reasons and I can't say I favor one more then the other. They are way too different.

andyman8 said:
Posts like that of the OP kind of perplex me; it seems to give off a vibe that one must choose and one is clearly better than another. I don't think that's the case nor do I feel the need to "defend" Disney and their actions. I like both resorts but do acknowledge that, right now, UOR is providing more new, headliner attractions than WDW is and that's being reflected in the general public eye. You can argue that UOR is doing overlays, lacks theming, etc..., but to most (beyond the Disney fans), UOR is doing a lot more than Disney in terms of growth. Yes, NFL (not the football league) is very nice, but it's clearly not bringing in the crowds they wanted it to, which is why we're hearing all of these rumors of SWL and/or Pixar Place/Cars Land. That said, Disney will not be holding an official Disney Parks presentation at the D23 Expo this year; they have chosen to do Imagineer panel discussions. They still could incorporate a major announcement, but it's an odd move by Disney.

I'm just feel a difference going to each of the Parks, universal has some awesome rides but it feels to much like a bush gardens or six flags to me...I always go either way because they always have something new, but the whole vibe feels cheap.

Universal has been pulling out all the stops as of late, with New rides like Transformers, Simpsons & Harry Potter to name a few. They also have more in the works, another HP land, Lord of the rings land, updated Jurrasic park land, Dreamworks land also possibly a third park. It seems like they work alot faster from concept to reality, its almost like there on fast forward compaired to Disney's immaginers.
But you get what u pay for...cheaper quicker labor isn't always the way to go. As a Disney lover I want rides to last through decades, universal tears down classic rides, not because there dropping attendance but because the bolts are just about rusted off. I prefer a smoother more attention to detail attraction built by engineering genius'. I don't mind snow white taking 3 years to build when they put up the Simpsons land overnight, lol. I know that the minecoaster will be apart of Disney for years to come and Simpsons land will more than likely be replaced in 10 years.
Disney has some amazing stuff coming out but we wont see anything for at least 3 years. Starwars land is genius, Carsland is ok, but Cars 2 kinda suked. Avatar land I'm gonna really like, its gonna be a cool place to chill late night, it makes perfect sence to make a nighttime land in a park that is known as being day time only. Love DTD I don't think they have to go that insane with the plans but I'm not complaining.
Anyway, Disney is the Fig Nuton in my book...Universal is just the same old Cookie....
This doesn't explain EE then.:rolleyes1 I never got to see anything but disco yeti and I am hugely disappointed they didn't plan ahead for the infrastructure to fix such a huge AA as well as planning ahead for the stress such an AA would place on things. The original yeti sounded cool but now it's just lame.:sad2: We also have the worst luck with Splash as we have never ridden when everything is working. :confused3 And I heard RSR at DL is already having problems and it's not that old. :confused:
I've only been to Universal twice years ago but my boys want to see HP and Transformers so we're waiting for HP 2 and then going. So we are still bigger Disney fans for now but as much as I love Disney I see they are having problems maintaining their rides as well and some of them like EE they don't even plan on fixing. We'll have to wait and see if Disney's new rides are built to last but I wouldn't assume longer means better built. After all you can build something well quickly with enough money (overtime, extra workers etc) :)

I'm just feel a difference going to each of the Parks, universal has some awesome rides but it feels to much like a bush gardens or six flags to me...I always go either way because they always have something new, but the whole vibe feels cheap.
This it true in some areas of Universal for me as well but everything I have seen
in pictures of WWOHP does not look like that. They are upping their game it looks like. :thumbsup2

trainingupmy4princes said:
This doesn't explain EE then.:rolleyes1 I never got to see anything but disco yeti and I am hugely disappointed they didn't plan ahead for the infrastructure to fix such a huge AA as well as planning ahead for the stress such an AA would place on things. The original yeti sounded cool but now it's just lame.:sad2: We also have the worst luck with Splash as we have never ridden when everything is working. :confused3 And I heard RSR at DL is already having problems and it's not that old. :confused:
I've only been to Universal twice years ago but my boys want to see HP and Transformers so we're waiting for HP 2 and then going. So we are still bigger Disney fans for now but as much as I love Disney I see they are having problems maintaining their rides as well and some of them like EE they don't even plan on fixing. We'll have to wait and see if Disney's new rides are built to last but I wouldn't assume longer means better built. After all you can build something well quickly with enough money (overtime, extra workers etc) :)

True....and lucky you....they are fixing the yeti to original working order, so hopefully its up and running when u visit again, and WWoHP is definitely alot closer to Disney standards than most...

True....and lucky you....they are fixing the yeti to original working order, so hopefully its up and running when u visit again, and WWoHP is definitely alot closer to Disney standards than most...
:goodvibes I hadn't heard that we're going this fall so probably not this trip but maybe the next one.:cool1:

And one thing Disney will always be ahead in my book is entertainment. The one year we went to both back in 12/07 the parades and shows at Universal were absolutely no comparison to Disney's. :lovestruc

I hadn't heard about a Yeti fix either. It is my understanding this would require a major shutdown. Has one been announced? I've never seen the functioning Yeti either.

No, one has not been announced.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter