• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Undercover Tourist ticket activation date

shelly3girls

DIS Veteran
I am looking to buy tickets for our trip this December while we can still get the lower price. The tickets on UT says they must be activated on the day of our arrival (coincidence, not because we entered trip dates). We were not planning to go into the park on our arrival date. Are the tickets still valid if we don't use them in the park by the activation date? I am not sure if adding them to MDE counts as activation. Thanks!

Don't buy the current tickets sold by UT.
They don't fit your trip needs.

Last edited:
1. What is the date of your arrival? (I'm assuming Dec. 31, 2018.)
2. That's a good question.
I've not come across it before because Dec. 31, 2018 will be the first time a MYW ticket has "expired."
3. It does not.
I'm thinking that you could attempt to set up some sort of "arrangement" with DISNEY to
see if they will allow the tickets to be activated one day late.
Thanks for the response! Yes, that is the date of our arrival. It would probably be cheaper to buy an extra day and activate it on the day of our arrival. I am concerned with it being 12/31 that depending on when our flight lands we might not be able to get into the park. That would leave us with expiring tickets that we are unable to activate.

I am looking to buy tickets for our trip this December while we can still get the lower price. The tickets on UT says they must be activated on the day of our arrival (coincidence, not because we entered trip dates). We were not planning to go into the park on our arrival date. Are the tickets still valid if we don't use them in the park by the activation date? I am not sure if adding them to MDE counts as activation. Thanks!

I think the "must be activated on day of arrival" is simply meant to state that they will activate when you first use them. ie, they don't activate when you purchase. Whomever wrote that was assuming you'd run to the parks! ;)

Undercover tourist doesn't have tickets set to a specific date - it's just the activate by Dec 31, 2018. Been buying from them for years.

I think the "must be activated on day of arrival" is simply meant to state that they will activate when you first use them. ie, they don't activate when you purchase. Whomever wrote that was assuming you'd run to the parks! ;)

Undercover tourist doesn't have tickets set to a specific date - it's just the activate by Dec 31, 2018. Been buying from them for years.

Sorry, but not this time.

Wait to buy for a few days or weeks.

Last edited:
Sorry, but not this time.

Undercover tourist sells tickets that are tied to specific dates? 100% new information to me or I'm not understanding what OP is buying. And OP said they didn't even list a date. Any date that UCT ever took was more about when they might need to ship by if you didn't want the electronic ticket.

Undercover tourist sells tickets that are tied to specific dates? 100% new information to me or I'm not understanding what OP is buying. And OP said they didn't even list a date. Any date that UCT ever took was more about when they might need to ship by if you didn't want the electronic ticket.
I'm assuming the OP is looking at this from UT's website:

upload_2018-2-11_17-2-11.png

upload_2018-2-11_17-2-42.png

I don't know what tickets you bought so you should go to UT website but just as a random example for a 5-day hopper if bought today shows this information:

upload_2018-2-11_17-7-20.png

upload_2018-2-11_17-7-44.png

Looks like in order to activate you have to scan it at the park thus using up one of your days on your ticket. You should call UT for clarification but that's what the information says on how to activate (see this information in the Expiration image I pasted in).

haha - ok, I so skimmed over the Dec 31st arrival date in their second post! They were referencing not entering their dates in the first post but it came up with that activation date.

But then I don't see WDW ticketing making an exception. OP would likely have to wait to purchase the new stock which may have a Dec 31 2019 activation date. Or they could buy a ticket with the extra day and go ahead and enter the park on the 31st. They could turn around and walk right back out should they wish.

The discussion in this thread is about what are being called "Undercover Tourist Tickets."
It may make better sense to alter the terms to say that these are
actually "Disney Tickets" that where sold by Undercover Tourist.

And, since current "Disney Tickets" minted on a date prior to Feb. 11, 2018 (today,) all will expire unless they are first-used on
or before Dec. 31, 2018, we know that these tickets being discussed are going to expire on that date.
This has nothing to do with UT rules.
The rules are purely from Disney, the entity who actually created the tickets.

Never before has Disney sold "regular MYW tickets" that had a built-in "use-by/expiration date,"
so I expect there may be a LOT of guests hit with the "surprise" that their still-new tickets are due to expire
suddenly at the end of this year.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! Yes, that is the date of our arrival. It would probably be cheaper to buy an extra day and activate it on the day of our arrival. I am concerned with it being 12/31 that depending on when our flight lands we might not be able to get into the park. That would leave us with expiring tickets that we are unable to activate.

What is the length of the ticket you are planning on purchasing? The longer multi day tickets did not increase much in price and waiting to buy that once UT gets its new inventory with Dec 31, 2019 inventory may be more advantageous than buying an extra day that you did not intend to utilize other than to activate the ticket. It does assume similar discount levels in the future with UT. At the moment they are finishing up with their old inventory but they will have the new inventory with the new expiration date once they run out of the old. Prices on the 6-10 day PH's seem to have gone up $5+ dollars at most. Adding a day is $10+ though or with UT special pricing even $17+.

If you are planning on 6 days or less then buying the ticket now and trying to activate on Dec 31st may be the way to go but would have to look at the numbers more closely.

Wait to buy for a few days or weeks.

Cryptic. Should those of us basking in the joy of using this company for the first time call out credit card companies? Are you suggesting something is up to snuff?

Cryptic. Should those of us basking in the joy of using this company for the first time call out credit card companies? Are you suggesting something is up to snuff?

I could be mistaken, but I think that Robo is suggesting that the OP wait a few days (or weeks) to buy the tickets they need for their trip at the end of the year to see if the expiration date gets moved up to 12/31/19, since it sounds like they weren't planning on using their tickets prior to the current expiration date of 12/31/18.

I could be mistaken,
1. but I think that Robo is suggesting that the OP wait a few days (or weeks) to buy the tickets they need for their trip at the end of the year

2. to see if the expiration date gets moved up to 12/31/19, since
3. it sounds like they weren't planning on using their tickets prior to the current expiration date of 12/31/18.

1. Correct.
2. That is exactly what we know will happen, due to today's new ticket information.
3. Yup.

1. Correct.
2. That is just exactly what will happen, due to today's new information.
3. Yup.

That's good. Thanks for clarifying. It took a huge leap of faith to purchase from an entity that is not Disney (or AAA). As it was, the whole log-in verify a small dollar amt. requirement freaked me out a bit. Many scams begin that way. While I log into my bank/credit card tied to my checking account, I hardly ever log into a credit card account so I was scrambling to get an ID/Password to verify the insignificant dollar amount. At first I didn't receive the emails- SPAM. Found it - reset to not SPAM and then the final confirmation went to SPAM. More stress than necessary - but @ $67.00 x 2 tickets, it was tolerable.

The discussion in this thread is about what are being called "Undercover Tourist Tickets."
It may make better sense to alter the terms to say that these are
actually "Disney Tickets" that where sold by Undercover Tourist.

And, since current "Disney Tickets" minted on a date prior to Feb. 11, 2018 (today,) all will expire unless they are first-used on
or before Dec. 31, 2018, we know that these tickets being discussed are going to expire on that date.
This has nothing to do with UT rules.
The rules are purely from Disney, the entity who actually created the tickets.

Never before has Disney sold "regular MYW tickets" that had a built-in "use-by/expiration date,"
so I expect there may be a LOT of guests hit with the "surprise" that their still-new tickets are due to expire
suddenly at the end of this year.
I always buy my WDW tickets from UT, and I just received a 5-day Park Hopper Pass from UT with the 12/31/2018 activate by date. I was planning to use the ticket this fall, but you never know what might happen. But I'm reading that if you don't activate by December 31, 2018, you can still exchange the ticket at Guest Services for another ticket (and I assume you would only have to pay the difference between your ticket and the price of the current ticket?)

That's good. Thanks for clarifying. It took a huge leap of faith to purchase from an entity that is not Disney (or AAA). As it was, the whole log-in verify a small dollar amt. requirement freaked me out a bit. Many scams begin that way. While I log into my bank/credit card tied to my checking account, I hardly ever log into a credit card account so I was scrambling to get an ID/Password to verify the insignificant dollar amount. At first I didn't receive the emails- SPAM. Found it - reset to not SPAM and then the final confirmation went to SPAM. More stress than necessary - but @ $67.00 x 2 tickets, it was tolerable.

If it makes you feel any better I've been buying tickets from UCT for years, as has my extended family and any friends that ask me for Disney tips. They are legit.

I always buy my WDW tickets from UT, and I just received a 5-day Park Hopper Pass from UT with the 12/31/2018 activate by date. I was planning to use the ticket this fall, but you never know what might happen.

But I'm reading that if you don't activate by December 31, 2018, you can still exchange the ticket at Guest Services for another ticket (and I assume you would only have to pay the difference between your ticket and the price of the current ticket?)

Correct.

Is this something you had to do for Undercover Tourist?

I bought tickets from them for the first time in December and it was like any other online transaction. I didn’t have to do any kind of verification. I haven’t linked the tickets yet (just in case something happens and I need to return them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter