*Two Quick ECV Questions

DisneyaHolic23

DIS Veteran
We will be ordering an ECV from Apple for my MIL for our upcoming December trip. I have two questions:

1. She is a short woman (about 5') - is height an issue, or do all have adjustable seats?

2. Are there advantages/disadvantages to 3-wheel vs. 4-wheel scooters? We aren't sure which to order.

Thanks for any advice!

They should ask how tall she is, so the seat will be properly adjusted.

The three-wheel is much more maneuverable than a four wheel. Also the three wheel you have much more room for the feet.

I would not go for a heavy duty type of scooter for her, for I don't think she would be comfortable in a larger scooter. I would recommend a smaller travel style scooter for her.

I like the 3 wheeled version for the foot space and the manuverability. Some like the 4 wheeled models for a sense of stabitliy. I personally have never tipped over my 3 wheeled scooter (my personal one), and I have put it through things it was never meant to do.

We will be ordering an ECV from Apple for my MIL for our upcoming December trip. I have two questions:

Hello, DisneyaHolic23. I'll try to help you.

And you will love WDW in December if you have never been.

I'll be there, too, with my own mobility scooter.

1. She is a short woman (about 5') - is height an issue, or do all have adjustable seats?

I see that you are ordering from Apple and they have two styles of scooters that they rent.

The Go-Go ELite Traveller has a seat height of as low as about 20 inches to as high as 22-3/4 inches.

The Victory 10 has a seat height of as low as about 22-1/4 inches to as high as 24-3/4 inches

Most scooters have a removable bolt in the post under the seat that can be pulled out and replaced at a different height.

But if I were you, I would suggest if they could pull the bolt out and leave it out to see if it can go to the lowest point.

This can be done by you, too.

This allows the post to drop all of the way down.

It will make the seat rotate without using the lever on the side and under the seat to turn the seat just because the bolt also kept the seat in one position, too, if that makes sense.

So maybe go to a store with a tape measure and see how tall the store scooter seat is to the ground and use this as a comparison. I can tell you that it will probably be higher than the one you will rent and a different brand name.

This may or may not make a difference to you.

I would prefer the Victory 10, but that is just me.

If she is very small in weight size, I would think that the Go-Go ELite Traveller, which many people like because of the smaller size.

2. Are there advantages/disadvantages to 3-wheel vs. 4-wheel scooters? We aren't sure which to order.

The 3-wheel is most people's favorite because turning corners by making U turns or 180 degrees at in WDW attraction queue lines and bus queue lines and inside the bus are much easier.

The 3-wheel Go-Go ELite Traveller has a seat height of about 20-1/2 inches to as high as 22 inches.

The 3-wheel Victory 10 has a has a seat height of about 22-3/4 inches to as high as 24-3/4 inches.

Some people are concerned with having less tipping incidents of the scooter if driving on a slanted surface and want a 4-wheel scooter. But I gotta tell you that I just don't experience slanted sidewalks that much. And when I do, I go straight and make a turn instead of taking the shorter route on an angled or slanted pavement whereever it might be.

And if you drive over a curb by accident in a 3 or 4 wheel you will probably tip. But most scooter drivers are very aware of their surroundings and maybe you can help her when you are walking and seeing what surface might be ahead and see things from her perspective and look for scooter friendly sidewalks and not walk over a curb when she can't with her scooter, but may just be following your family or you.

The 3-wheel Go-Go ELite Traveller has a turning radius about 32-1/2 inches.

The 3-wheel Victory 10 has a has a turning radius about 42 inches.

The 4-wheel Go-Go ELite Traveller has a turning radius about 44 inches.

The 4-wheel Victory 10 has a has a turning radius about 54 inches.

A very big difference in turning in queue lines that would take more skill and experience using a 4-wheel than turning in a 3-wheel scooter.

But that is why practicing a large store like Walmart or any store that uses mobility scooters would be helpful to her.

Thanks for any advice!

You're welcome and have a wonderful time.

Remember turtle speed is better that rabbit speed on the dial when in tight spaces.

But definitely get her a scooter so that she can go anywhere that you can go.

There is so much to see at WDW in December.

Take her to the WDW Grand Floridian Resort to see the 45 foot christmas tree in their lobby and full size ginger bread house in their lobby.

I will be down there also the first week of Dec. Trying to figure out (once again) who to rent from.:confused3 :) See you all there.:yay: Penny

Rent from the company that best suits your needs. I like Randy's and Walker for the service and pricing... but I like Scootaround because they'll remove the arms before they deliver the scooter (I don't need the support, and I consistently forget to put the 'boarding' arm back down after I'm seated - thus getting it caught on doors, walls, etc!).

I have use Randys mobility several times but I too am short and my feet dont lie flat on the floor of the ecv, I have always been told that the seats do not get lower, if they did maybe I wouldnt hurt so bad when I finish my day!

Rent from the company that best suits your needs. I like Randy's and Walker for the service and pricing... but I like Scootaround because they'll remove the arms before they deliver the scooter (I don't need the support, and I consistently forget to put the 'boarding' arm back down after I'm seated - thus getting it caught on doors, walls, etc!).

I love the "stuff" in your signature area. :goodvibes

Actually, I like all the ones you listed and also used Apple and liked them. Now I am just looking for the best price amongst them all. :cool1:
Penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter